Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

AIB has €5k limit on Visa Debit per day. AIB Visa Credit Card is €12k per day. I rang them this morning to find out. This would be on a personal card not business.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

masit wrote: »
    Maybe so but I look at the visa currency converter to know exactly what I will pay. Plus, carrying your card instead of cash or draft and not worrying about customs or loosing it or having to wait for money to transfer. If its unlimited, I think the card is the best way.

I collected my car last week, (someone may say I needed to wait till this week, but who new it would go down even more :) ), and I paid for the car with my debit card and for petrol with my credit card. The rate on the debit card was much more favourable, and even close to XE rate then on transaction on the credit card. I spoke to BOI before to check what rate they will apply and couldn't get a definite answer. I think the only way to be very sure of the rate is to use one of the exchange methods mentioned before.

Good luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StunningSteve

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out, I'm sure its in the thread already but can't find it.

But I'm looking for a mechanic to have carry out a car inspection for me in Antrim.

I've checked with the RAC and they dont do Northern Ireland anymore, from what I've seen the AA dont do NI either

and I have come across nicaraudit and Gareth Gillespie from online searches. (Anybody with previous experience here?)

Can anybody recommend someone up the North to carry out a car inspection?

Thanks,
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

My son's VRT appointment is another couple of weeks away and in the meantime he was wondering what the story was with his M50 tolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

pay them using the foreign reg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Yeah I guess that would be the best thing to do. It's his first car so looking to save a few euro :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

digitaldr wrote: »
    It's his first car so looking to save a few euro :)

In which case get a tag.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah I guess that would be the best thing to do. It's his first car so looking to save a few euro :)

Don't use the M50 then but if he does he needs to pay the toll. Set up a eflow video account and it's a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

My son's VRT appointment is another couple of weeks away and in the meantime he was wondering what the story was with his M50 tolls?
    I drove my car in from Belfast so used the M50 once on the UK plates. I was dying with the flu at the time and spent the next couple of days in bed so forgot completely about paying for it. By the time I remembered the charges had started multiplying so I decided to chance my luck and I never did hear anything afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davebp

Hi there,

First post on the Board, hoping someone can help with UK car import question, as I am worried that I may have made a costly mistake!

We bought a house in Ireland intending for it to be a holiday home. We came over from the UK on 31st Jan this year to work on the house, bringing with us our UK car. My reading of the rules indicated that we could keep the car on UK plates for 12 months based on the expectation that we would be travelling to/from the UK fairly regularly.

Since January, our circumstances changed and we have decided to retire permanently to Ireland, moving, and would like to import the car. The problem is that when I re-read the rules, it seems that we should have done all this a lot earlier. The car has been in Ireland since the date we came over - 31st Jan.

I can argue that circumstances/plans changed, but I am worried about the reaction. I would be happy to pay back-dated tax to the date we brought the car into the country, but is there is a risk that they could impound the car?

The car is nothing special – a small SEAT bought from new in 2014, 10k miles, worth 7.5-8k euro max. It should be exempt from VRT, but I am not sure whether I can apply now.

I would be grateful for any advice on the best way of approaching this issue with the Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

were you still paying any bills in the UK? You need to show that it was your main residence up until you deciding to move permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

davebp wrote: »
    Hi there,

First post on the Board, hoping someone can help with UK car import question, as I am worried that I may have made a costly mistake!

We bought a house in Ireland intending for it to be a holiday home. We came over from the UK on 31st Jan this year to work on the house, bringing with us our UK car. My reading of the rules indicated that we could keep the car on UK plates for 12 months based on the expectation that we would be travelling to/from the UK fairly regularly.

Since January, our circumstances changed and we have decided to retire permanently to Ireland, moving, and would like to import the car. The problem is that when I re-read the rules, it seems that we should have done all this a lot earlier. The car has been in Ireland since the date we came over - 31st Jan.

I can argue that circumstances/plans changed, but I am worried about the reaction. I would be happy to pay back-dated tax to the date we brought the car into the country, but is there is a risk that they could impound the car?

The car is nothing special – a small SEAT bought from new in 2014, 10k miles, worth 7.5-8k euro max. It should be exempt from VRT, but I am not sure whether I can apply now.

I would be grateful for any advice on the best way of approaching this issue with the Revenue.

Taking your post at face value, I cannot see that you have any VRT liability nor do I think you have committed any offences.

When you came to Ireland in January you validly assumed that you would benefit from a temporary exemption from registration (incl consideration of VRT). Now that you have decided to move permanently, you should regularise matters and apply for an exemption from VRT on transfer of residence grounds thereby permitting you to reregister the car in Ireland. Assuming you have continued to have a UK residence (which you now plan on giving up) together with UK utility bill and UK motor insurance/tax, I do not see an issue arising.

If you are travelling over to the UK to pack your stuff, perhaps use the car and bring it back in on the ferry.

The VRT exemption form asks you to list instances in which the car has been in Ireland prior to permanent importation. I cannot see this as being an issue for you.

Even if Revenue takes the view that you should have applied earlier, the penalty is a %age of the tax due, which is nil, meaning no monetary penalty should apply.

Around the country, you can meet with a Revenue official to go through the various proofs of transfer of ownership. In Dublin it can only be done by post.

Having been through the process earlier in the year for 2 cars, I can tell you that I spent much longer dragging the paperwork together than they can have spent reviewing it.

Obtaining your PPSno on an official document is also something you should sort out early in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davebp

Marcus,

Thanks v much for helpful reply, that puts my mind at rest.

I've downloaded the Residency Transfer form, now just need to pull together all the paperwork. Should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 macoeire

Hi folks,

likely already answered, if so please point me in the right direction and apologies

If not, I am looking at buying a UK reg VW CC, which is already in the country (private seller). Its here about two weeks.

I am conscious that Revenue prefer the car to be imported by the purchaser or else whoever imports the car should VRT before selling on.

Will this cause me an issue when I come to VRT the car? I also am lining up to get the V5 and having the seller sign an invoice, should the address on the invoice be his Irish one or should it be the UK address? Or should the address of the seller match that on the V5 (if there is an address on the V5, never seen one)

Thanks, and let me know if there is anything else I am missing

Cheers

The invoice address should be the seller's address but I'm guessing that the seller is a wheeler dealer of some sorts and may not want to put their proper address on a receipt in the event it alerts Revenue. The only way the seller's address should match that on the V5 is if the UK owner sold you the car.

BTW have you done proper background checks on the car? Did you do a check on the UK reg on the MOT checker site, HPI check? DD is riddled with chancers selling clocked or written off UK cars so make sure everything is above board including service history.

Yeah he says he gets some cars to flip them and make a few quid. But he checks out, told me the garage he works in, followed up and he does work there so thats at least some bit reassuring.

Ran it through two car checks and both came back clean, no red flags and mileage stacks up.

My only concern at this stage is ensuring that the transaction is above board when I go to VRT. If he does put his address on the invoice, does an Irish address as the seller of a UK reg cause an issue with Revenue?

Thanks

It's not your issue as you are buying it from him above board, the fact the seller is an Irish resident is not your concern. If Revenue have an issue with the seller then it would be for them to chase him. While it's illegal for an Irish resident to sell a foreign reg car here it goes on all the time and Revenue don't really enforce it.

Great stuff Bazz26, appreciate the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You will fill out a form in the VRT centre giving the Irish sellers details, it's up to Revenue if they persue him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone know fast will currencyfair transfer out stg? If I head over to the UK the late morning and say do a deal at 1pm and fire in the sellers bank account details, will it definitely have transferred within a few hrs? My alternative at the min is to bring cash, which is expensive to get here, and obv risky to carry over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone been to Car Giant recently? Thinking of heading over to look at some Golfs or Civics...

Just wondering would there be any issue with tax or insurance? I don't suppose you can pay using a pre-paid mastercard?! (Revolut)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Pacifico wrote: »
    Anyone been to Car Giant recently? Thinking of heading over to look at some Golfs or Civics...

Just wondering would there be any issue with tax or insurance? I don't suppose you can pay using a pre-paid mastercard?! (Revolut)

Thanks!

Insurance is up to you to sort really. Give you insurance a ring that day and swap over insurance, its straight forward.
    Tax is a different story. I didn't go to Cargiant when I purchased, I got mine near the welsh border. The garage wouldnt let me take the car from the garage unless I taxed the car. I was going to get into a bit of an argument with them about it until they looked up the tax for the year and it was actually a tax free car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Is there a limit to how often an individual can register a car here in Ireland. Can you only purchase one a year from the UK or can you do as many as you like?

It's something like 5 I think before Revenue consider you to be a motor trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

macoeire wrote: »
    Hi folks,

likely already answered, if so please point me in the right direction and apologies

If not, I am looking at buying a UK reg VW CC, which is already in the country (private seller). Its here about two weeks.

Thanks, and let me know if there is anything else I am missing

Cheers

My $0.02 would be - if any doubts, hesitation - just move on as there is a lot of cars for sale out there also the UK is awfully close by and with the exchange rate now you'll easily find a similar if not better car etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

macoeire wrote: »

Would be very easy to save yourself about a grand ( usual markup to make it worthwhile )by going over yourself, plus you'll have peace of mind about what your getting.

Too many chances about on DD. Maybe he's spotted a problem with the car that's not immediately obvious. If you go ahead and buy it, make sure and get it checked over fully, much easier in the UK than here believe it or not..

Personally, I'd be on the first flight over. A grand would tax the car and put a lot of diesel in it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Insurance is up to you to sort really. Give you insurance a ring that day and swap over insurance, its straight forward.
    Tax is a different story. I didn't go to Cargiant when I purchased, I got mine near the welsh border. The garage wouldnt let me take the car from the garage unless I taxed the car. I was going to get into a bit of an argument with them about it until they looked up the tax for the year and it was actually a tax free car :D

Thanks! And if it needs to be taxed can you sort it out in cargiant on the day?

Has anyone gotten the 5 day insurance in car giant?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Thanks! And if it needs to be taxed can you sort it out in cargiant on the day?

Has anyone gotten the 5 day insurance in car giant?

Afaik UK dealers are not allowed let a sold car leave their premises now without it being taxed so they should be able to tax it for you.

Regarding insurance, check with Cargiant as their 5 day cover may not cover you to drive the car over here. It could a case of once you board the ferry to Ireland it becomes null and void. If you currently have insurance here it's simpler to just transfer it over to the UK plate of the new car when you are collecting it. Most insurance companies here will cover the car on UK plates for a certain length of time until the VRT process is completed and it's transferred to Irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

I'm insured through AA - they covered the new car with the British plates up to 30 days in addition to my previous car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

YanisK wrote: »
    I'm insured through AA - they covered the new car with the British plates up to 30 days in addition to my previous car.

That's handy.

In another note, for anyone hoping to switch have insurance while in the UK, make sure and have your insurance companies direct dial number.. those 1800, 0890 etc numbers only work here as I've found out in the past..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement