Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Just a quick update lads

Collected my new wheels sat:D

see below

The car came with full Audi service history, HPI checked, and MOT, also had all the recipts from the RAC from the garage.

Thanks again to everyone here for the advice, i reckon i saved at least 2k.

2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/dazzainlk/3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Confucian

Hi All
    Just arrived from the UK.
    I have been reading about the implications of VRT on imported cars & motor cycles which seems to make sence but I have a Transit Van whch dosn't appear on the vrt calculator !
    What Vrt will be due.
    What is the differance between an NCT and a DOE test ?
    Any help would be greatly appretiated
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Confucian wrote:
    Hi All
    Just arrived from the UK.
    I have been reading about the implications of VRT on imported cars & motor cycles which seems to make sence but I have a Transit Van whch dosn't appear on the vrt calculator !
    What Vrt will be due.
    What is the differance between an NCT and a DOE test ?
    Any help would be greatly appretiated
    Mick

As far as I know it's only €50 for a van, once it's not a new one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

VRT is €50 for a van.
    DOE test is for goods vehicles. NCT is for cars. (I think)
    Annual Motor Tax is based on unladen weight. (between €250-€320 for a Transit).

That's my understanding.

Cheers,
    Rich

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

macplaxton wrote:
    DOE test is for goods vehicles. NCT is for cars. (I think)

No. DOE is the UK equivalent of the Irish NCT cert for a car or commercial vehicle. Any vehicle imported must pass an NCT test, once it is of 3 years of age (and every 2 years thereafter, though they are talking about making that annual), irrespective of whether it has a DOE cert or not. A DOE cert is not valid in Ireland, much the same way as our NCT certs are not valid in the UK (though it would be nice if it were valid, as there is currently a 10 week waiting list for NCT testing).

Large commercial vehicles are charged a flat VRT rate of €50- though this is set to change on 1/1/08- where VRT on all vehicles will be charged on CO2 emissions basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

smccarrick wrote:
    No. DOE is the UK equivalent of the Irish NCT cert for a car or commercial vehicle. Any vehicle imported must pass an NCT test, once it is of 3 years of age (and every 2 years thereafter, though they are talking about making that annual), irrespective of whether it has a DOE cert or not. A DOE cert is not valid in Ireland, much the same way as our NCT certs are not valid in the UK (though it would be nice if it were valid, as there is currently a 10 week waiting list for NCT testing).

Large commercial vehicles are charged a flat VRT rate of €50- though this is set to change on 1/1/08- where VRT on all vehicles will be charged on CO2 emissions basis.

This is not quiet right, there is an Irish DOE for commerical vehicles whichs needs to be renewed annually, the NCT is for private vehicles only and is only done on cars 4 years and older, and every 2 years from then on.

UK MOT or DOE for commericals (i think) is not transferable to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by snowy666
    I've read through as much as I can and I'm wondering what happens when the Garda pull you when you're driving on UK plates. Do they automatically impound the car, do you get a fine/warning and if they do impound the car can you then pay the required vrt and get the car back or is it goodbye wheels?

Originally Posted by smccarrick
    Goodbye wheels. No fine/warning. Car automatically impounded
    Not true. The Garda can do this but whether they do seems completely hit and miss or varies from case to case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

I am curious - currently looking at a bit of an unknown car, not listed on the VRT page. How do they work out a value for it? I recall someone saying it takes a day and lots of calls on their side?

Mc-BigE wrote:
    This is not quiet right, there is an Irish DOE for commerical vehicles whichs needs to be renewed annually, the NCT is for private vehicles only and is only done on cars 4 years and older, and every 2 years from then on.

UK MOT or DOE for commericals (i think) is not transferable to ireland.

Correct. UK testing certificates are not transferable. The UK MOT covers pretty much all vehicles under 3500kg (including Motorcycles, Tricycles, Minibuses and Light Goods). PSV and HGV testing is separate. We also have SVA test for kit cars, one-offs, low volume production and category C insurance write-offs. DOE has nothing to do with the UK set up. Testing is overseen by the Vehicle & Operator Services agency which is connected with the UK Department for Transport.

Are there any plans in the immediate future to start testing motorcycles and vintage vehicles?

Chaz wrote:
    I am curious - currently looking at a bit of an unknown car, not listed on the VRT page. How do they work out a value for it? I recall someone saying it takes a day and lots of calls on their side?

They probably roll the dice, take a pin and a blindfold out and dream something up. All seems a bit hit and miss!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

3 quick questions.

I heard that if you get your car and ask the vro office thats its a "promotional car" i.e. one with a load of stickers and all that on it that you will only get vrt tax of about 13% . Is this true?

Also when does road tax apply. Is it from the day you bought the car or is it the day one pays the VRT?

How is it possible to get another temp insurance cert after the first one expires?

Thanks.

jank wrote:
    3 quick questions.

I heard that if you get your car and ask the vro office thats its a "promotional car" i.e. one with a load of stickers and all that on it that you will only get vrt tax of about 13% . Is this true?

Also when does road tax apply. Is it from the day you bought the car or is it the day one pays the VRT?

How is it possible to get another temp insurance cert after the first one expires?

Thanks.

1. If you google you won't find any mention of a lesser rate of VRT for a car with promotional stickers on it. If the vehicle operated by a charity or as a commercial vehicle, it would qualify for a lower rate of VRT. If its a personal vehicle, it doesn't.

2. Road tax applies from the beginning of the month in which the car was imported- not the day it was imported. So- if you import the car at the end of the month- you get giped for an extra month's road tax......

3. Ring your insurance company re: a temp insurance cert. Hibernian had no problems giving me 3 certs in a 2 week period- but it depends on your policy and whether your insurance company are amenable to insuring you in this manner. Ring them and check.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the tax. How does the tax office ascertain this information of import. Is it the dats the it physically comes off the ferry? Or is it the day you contact the VRO office? The reason I ask is that the difference of a few days may be the end or start of a month.

jank wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the tax. How does the tax office ascertain this information of import. Is it the dats the it physically comes off the ferry? Or is it the day you contact the VRO office? The reason I ask is that the difference of a few days may be the end or start of a month.

You have to supply the UK ownership documents showing the transfer to you to the VRO. If the date you are claiming you imported the car is more than a couple of days different than this they may query this (in which case date of import would be decided by ferry documentation). Don't try to con them, its not worth it. Its a bitch if you are bringing the car in towards the end of a month- but thats life.

OK thats fine.

I bought the car on the 31st but didnt board the ferry until 2:30 am next morning so that was 1st April! Happy days then.

jank wrote:
    OK thats fine.

I bought the car on the 31st but didnt board the ferry until 2:30 am next morning so that was 1st April! Happy days then.

Cool! I brought in my Volvo on the 25th :( They made me pay back to the 1st of Feb......

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Just on the temp insurance disk... i'm with quinn direct and when i switched the insurance over to my new car with english reg plates.... they sent me out a disk with the remainder of my insurance policy on it. ie new disk is 02-08

On paying the vrt i'm hoping to get away until the end of this month until my ssia comes in which is only 4 weeks fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Quick Question, With regards to importing a Commerical From Uk? Is there a set VRT Rate? Also the Mitsubishi L200 Imported as Private or Commerical because i cant find it on the VRT Cal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As for bringin in the car at the end of the month, hold off on this and only pay at the start of the next month, I know lots of people who have extended it far beyond the allowable 24hr period and have had no isues were they had to pay back road tax.

Commercials are a fixed rate. See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

I have a question for ye.

If someone live's in the UK for over 10 year's, they dont pay any VRT but cant sell the car for a year. Let's say my Dad live's in England for the last 15 year's could he buy a car over there, bring it here, not pay any VRT then change it to my name and say it was a present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Hoops1888 wrote:
    I have a question for ye.

If someone live's in the UK for over 10 year's, they dont pay any VRT but cant sell the car for a year. Let's say my Dad live's in England for the last 15 year's could he buy a car over there, bring it here, not pay any VRT then change it to my name and say it was a present?

Fast answer is no, the person that owns the car in the UK must be the person importing it into ireland and be returning to live in ireland to qualify for vrt free

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

How did you guys pay for the cars you bought in the UK?

Also, I plan on buying a car from a Car Supermarket, has anyone any experience with these guys, Cargiant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

How did you guys pay for the cars you bought in the UK?

Also, I plan on buying a car from a Car Supermarket, has anyone any experience with these guys, Cargiant?

I paid with a sterling bank draft the last time, credit card the time before that!

Be sure and read Cargiant's terms and conditions about payments, they go through all the payment types they accept and what extra charges apply for each one!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Oh right, you can get one from bank here I take it..I've had a look at the site, cargiant have an irish website with payment details, http://www.cargiant.ie/carsupermarket/whatdocs.asp. I'll contact them tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help.

We did a sterling transfer with Banking365online from Bank of Ireland (from the office in the dealership once my brother had actually viewed the car we were buying).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Still slightly confused.

I bought a car in the UK in a private sale and brought it home on Saturday. The previous owner gave me the main bit of the VLC that would normally be sent back to the DVLA for a change of ownership. There was a also a little bit of the certificate that tore off to be sent back if the car was being permanently exported (which he signed and gave to me as well). So which of these should I send to the DVLA and which do I need for the VRT office?

The main bit goes to to the VRO when you go in to pay the VRT, the other bit should have gone the the DVLA. Brave man buying privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Does anyone know when importing a duel fuel or hybrid car from the UK if the VRT is charged differently. I was looking at a duel fuel 2.4 '04 S60 (not for me) and when I did the VRT calculation, they didn't have the model listed. The closest I could find was the standard 2.4 which is in the 30% bracket. I was hoping there might be a reduction or a concession since the car is not standard and more fuel efficient. In England, this model qualifies for vehicle congestion charge exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The main bit goes to to the VRO when you go in to pay the VRT, the other bit should have gone the the DVLA. Brave man buying privately.
    So I should still send the other bit back to the DVLA, and just head into the VRO with the main cert?

• Advertisement

eljono wrote:
    Does anyone know when importing a duel fuel or hybrid car from the UK if the VRT is charged differently.QUOTE]

You will have to ring your local VRO to get an individualised quote if the model is not listed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement