Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Benny77

Hi guys,

Quick question, picked up a car in the uk from dealer today. They gave me the v5c form because I insisted i take it with me rather then sending it off to dvla and waiting 4-6 weeks to get it back. So the log book has the previous owner's name on it, my question is, will that be an issue with I'm presenting for the vrt? I have proof of purchase. Or should I send it off to the dvla and hope it comes back within the 4 weeks I have to get it vrt?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked already but would really appreciate any input

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Benny77 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Quick question, picked up a car in the uk from dealer today. They gave me the v5c form because I insisted i take it with me rather then sending it off to dvla and waiting 4-6 weeks to get it back. So the log book has the previous owner's name on it, my question is, will that be an issue with I'm presenting for the vrt? I have proof of purchase. Or should I send it off to the dvla and hope it comes back within the 4 weeks I have to get it vrt?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked already but would really appreciate any input

It'all never be in your name. You simply present it to NCTS together with the invoice.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It'all never be in your name. You simply present it to NCTS together with the invoice.

Ok cheers for the quick reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, Revenue don't care who's name is down as the previous owner on it, they are only concerned with the vehicle's information on it. Also your name wouldn't be put down on it anyway as you're not a UK resident.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep, Revenue don't care who's name is down as the previous owner on it, they are only concerned with the vehicle's information on it. Also your name wouldn't be put down on it anyway as you're not a UK resident.

Thanks bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

My dad recently bought a car in Scotland from a dealer but the registration details were sent to an incorrect address. His insurance has now been cancelled and he apparently he has to wait 6 weeks for a replacement for this cert. does anyone have any suggestion on what could be done on this. My dad has gone as far as driving to the address in Belfast to see if maybe the residents would have it but to no avail. He's afraid now the car will be taken. Thnks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

There's little chance of it being seized if he's not driving it, best keep it out of sight until the V5 is issued.

Could very well be stung for late VRT penalties though.

Could very well be stung for late VRT penalties though.

Oh really would that be much? He's not driving it but nervous it would be seized from driveway. Wonder would he be better taking plates off just in case?

Well you have 30 days from the date the car entered the country to pay the VRT and register it here. Technically after that length of time they charge a daily penalty as a percentage of the outstanding VRT amount. As part of VRTing the car you have to produce some sort of sales invoice with a date on it when you bought it along with a ferry docket.

In reality you could say you bought it off a private seller up North and write up your own invoice dating it within the 30 day rule. The penalties are really only there to punish people who openly abuse the system and drive around the months on foreign plates avoiding paying VRT.

Either way I wouldn't be driving the car until the registration document thing is sorted as afaik insurance companies are obliged to notify Revenue if the car is not transferred over to Irish plates after a certain time.

• Advertisement

Well you have 30 days from the date the car entered the country to pay the VRT and register it here. Technically after that length of time they charge a daily penalty as a percentage of the outstanding VRT amount. As part of VRTing the car you have to produce some sort of sales invoice with a date on it when you bought it along with a ferry docket.

In reality you could say you bought it off a private seller up North and write up your own invoice dating it within the 30 day rule. The penalties are really only there to punish people who openly abuse the system and drive around the months on foreign plates avoiding paying VRT.

Either way I wouldn't be driving the car until the registration document thing is sorted as afaik insurance companies are obliged to notify Revenue if the car is not transferred over to Irish plates after a certain time.

Thanks for.that info. The problem.is is that he arranged to go.to the vrt place however the registration hadn't arrived at the time (as sent to wrong address) so when he showed up they wouldn't entertain him.until he had that. That's when he realised what had happened. My understanding is that it could take 6 weeks for a replacement. So.they are aware the car is in.the country I suppose. I really don't understand how all this works but I was thinking should we not be able to get some kind of proof from Registration place to back this up. Beginning to think this is going to work out dearer then buying a car here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Two quick VRT questions someone here may be able to answer! Have the appointment booked for Friday...

Im not sure exactly how much the VRT will be (est 2500) if I bring a draft for 2000 can I pay the balance on a debit card?

Does it matter that the invoice for the sale of the car (from cargiant) is in a different name to the person registering it? (My name is on it but my wife will the registered owner here)

Thanks in advance!

Afaik they have no problem taking multiple forms of payment (they don't except cash though). And also afaik they won't have an issue with a different name being on the sales invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

theaaao wrote: »
    I used currencyfair, which is similar to Transfermate which a good few people here have mentioned using it.

Straight forward to sign up. Took about a day to lodge euros into my account with them.
    Once the euro was in, exchanged this into sterling using the account. Then I had sterling in my account to spend on a new motor.
    I put a payment through last Monday about 1pm at the dealership. Funds went though by 12 the next day. I was expecting this to happen same day but I think the bank holiday in Ireland may have delayed it a bit even though there was no bank holiday in England.
    Saved a nice chunk on charges and got a great exchange rate also.

Has anyone else NOT got same day transfer using Currency Fair? I was planning on using them based on a same day transfer and a good exchange rate.
    Advantage of visa debit is it goes through instantly, chip and pin same as at home. Means less time required in the UK and easier to back out if you're not happy with the car on arrival. Appreciate that won't suit someone spending 15000+ unless you have lots of different accounts!

Now I'm debating taking the hit on the exchange rate but don't know if the visa debit would be better or bank draft:confused: . Does the bank draft need to clear if its from an Irish bank?

Any advice welcome on the payment options for approx €15k where I plan on arriving into the car supermarket when it opens in the morning and finalising my choice within 1-2 hours. I thought the currencyfair transfer before noon would be same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

RedB wrote: »
    Has anyone else NOT got same day transfer using Currency Fair? I was planning on using them based on a same day transfer and a good exchange rate.

Now I'm debating taking the hit on the exchange rate but don't know if the visa debit would be better or bank draft:confused: . Does the bank draft need to clear if its from an Irish bank?

Any advice welcome on the payment options for approx €15k where I plan on arriving into the car supermarket when it opens in the morning and finalising my choice within 1-2 hours. I thought the currencyfair transfer before noon would be same day?

For transfers from currencyfair, to UK accounts, it arrives within 2 hours normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fazzio

One thing I cant find in the guide or I could miss it

When I am on location buing a car from private fella. Best think to do is to take v5 off him and present it for vrt. If he doesnt want to give it to me only send of to dvla I will never get it in irl ? So what can I do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Tell the buyer to either call the DVLA so that he is aware that you need to take the V5 with you, or direct him to this link which explains it.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...h/4/INS160.pdf

I always make sure I make the seller aware of this before i travel. Do not leave without the V5!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Hello All,

I am looking to import a car from the UK this week or next week at the latest,

If I wait until Jan to VRT it (Still within 30 day limit) should the VRT amount be less as we have passed into a new year and the car is seen as a year older?

Thanks

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

TobinIT wrote: »
    Hello All,

I am looking to import a car from the UK this week or next week at the latest,

If I wait until Jan to VRT it (Still within 30 day limit) should the VRT amount be less as we have passed into a new year and the car is seen as a year older?

Thanks

Rob

I think it goes in 12 month stages from month of first registration so there won't be a difference until you go past the month of registration again in 2017.

People think that come January that VRT suddenly drops because the car is a calendar year older, it doesn't. VRT has been known to even go up in the short term and then taper back down. If you want to save money then look at saving it in the UK on the purchase price. The UK registration system changes in March and September rather than like here so come March you will see a drop in prices of cars first registered in January or February of their respective year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

People think that come January that VRT suddenly drops because the car is a calendar year older, it doesn't. VRT has been known to even go up in the short term and then taper back down. If you want to save money then look at saving it in the UK on the purchase price. The UK registration system changes in March and September rather than like here so come March you will see a drop in prices of cars first registered in January or February of their respective year.

Would the open market price not be lower when we're in a new Calender year?

RedB wrote: »
    Would the open market price not be lower when we're in a new Calender year?

Revenue determine the car's OMSP for VRT purposes and adjust it at their leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Bit of an issue - Looking at a car and the V5c say 142g Co2 but the VRT calc say 139g, Parkers.co.uk show 139g.

the difference brings the VRT from 19% to 23% so it's a big enough jump.

do they only look at the V5c or do they listen to you if you can show them evidence that it's lower?

They go off the car's Co2 figures on the V5c only which is an official document based on information provided by the car manufacturer. The figures off the VRT calculator are figures based on information entered at the time of inquiry, it is not official otherwise anyone could enter incorrect information to get a lower co2 figure and lower VRT rate.

Bit of an issue - Looking at a car and the V5c say 142g Co2 but the VRT calc say 139g, Parkers.co.uk show 139g.

the difference brings the VRT from 19% to 23% so it's a big enough jump.

do they only look at the V5c or do they listen to you if you can show them evidence that it's lower?

The v5c is the evidence of what it is; different spec levels may have subtly different co2 ratings. This is why you need to see/assess the v5c before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

Does the V5 suffice as the Certificate of Conformity (CoC) ?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html

"Guide to Vehicle Registration Tax

Vehicle Registration Tax is chargeable on the registration of motor vehicles (including motor-cycles) in the State. All motor vehicles in the State, other than those brought in temporarily by visitors, must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. A vehicle must be registered before it can be licensed for motor tax purposes.

Any delay in registering your vehicle or paying the tax may make you liable to substantial penalties including forfeiture of the vehicle and prosecution.

From 12 September 2016 a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) must be on the Revenue system before a new vehicle can be registered. When you are purchasing a new vehicle abroad you MUST get the CoC, either in paper or electronic form, from the seller. It is advisable that you check in advance that the seller has a CoC and the other mandatory documentation available. You will not be able to register your vehicle if you do not have the CoC or the other mandatory documentation.

If you get the CoC in paper form you must INPUT it to the Revenue System;
    If the CoC is provided in electrnic form it must be in XML format to allow you to UPLOAD it to the Revenue System."

The Certificate of Conformity only applies to cars never registered before.

Mashie wrote: »
    Does the V5 suffice as the Certificate of Conformity (CoC) ?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html

"Guide to Vehicle Registration Tax

Vehicle Registration Tax is chargeable on the registration of motor vehicles (including motor-cycles) in the State. All motor vehicles in the State, other than those brought in temporarily by visitors, must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. A vehicle must be registered before it can be licensed for motor tax purposes.

Any delay in registering your vehicle or paying the tax may make you liable to substantial penalties including forfeiture of the vehicle and prosecution.

From 12 September 2016 a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) must be on the Revenue system before a new vehicle can be registered. When you are purchasing a new vehicle abroad you MUST get the CoC, either in paper or electronic form, from the seller. It is advisable that you check in advance that the seller has a CoC and the other mandatory documentation available. You will not be able to register your vehicle if you do not have the CoC or the other mandatory documentation.

If you get the CoC in paper form you must INPUT it to the Revenue System;
    If the CoC is provided in electrnic form it must be in XML format to allow you to UPLOAD it to the Revenue System."

Surely the relevant term here is "new vehicle".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Apologies if this has been done to death but thread is too long!

Thinking of importing a car from the north. It's a January 2014 car. According to revenue the OMSP is €16467. If I search for this car in the republic the price is €1500-2000 less than that. Is there anything I can do about this? Can i print out the pages from the car dealers as proof it's not worth that price or do I just have to suck it up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Apologies if this has been done to death but thread is too long!

Thinking of importing a car from the north. It's a January 2014 car. According to revenue the OMSP is €16467. If I search for this car in the republic the price is €1500-2000 less than that. Is there anything I can do about this? Can i print out the pages from the car dealers as proof it's not worth that price or do I just have to suck it up?

Normally you'd pay upfront- and then appeal it.
    If you can show plenty of Irish examples of the exact make and model with a similar age and mileage- you should be sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement