Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Apologies if this has been done to death but thread is too long!

Thinking of importing a car from the north. It's a January 2014 car. According to revenue the OMSP is €16467. If I search for this car in the republic the price is €1500-2000 less than that. Is there anything I can do about this? Can i print out the pages from the car dealers as proof it's not worth that price or do I just have to suck it up?

You can only appeal after paying. I've submitted my appeal 2 weeks ago and it's said to take a few months until the assessment, so it's the patience game now.

All the info they require can be found here www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt-appeals.html

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

I appealed the vrt based on the OMSP and the depreciation rate and got a cheque within 2 weeks.

You have to use their calculations and state the amount you think you are due.
    YanisK wrote: »
    You can only appeal after paying. I've submitted my appeal 2 weeks ago and it's said to take a few months until the assessment, so it's the patience game now.

All the info they require can be found here www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt-appeals.html

An Ard Ri wrote: »
    I appealed the vrt based on the OMSP and the depreciation rate and got a cheque within 2 weeks.

You have to use their calculations and state the amount you think you are due.

Oh, that's good news! Did all that, so let's see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mjatkey

Ok Guys, so brought car over yesterday, went to book it in for VRT check and guess what no slots available practically in the whole country, certainly nothing in Dublin. Is it a case of just ringing Monday morning and seeing if they can fit me in. What happens to the 7 day and 30 day clocks? Thanks

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You ring them and they will put you on a priority waiting list. They are flat out with all the cars being imported due to the Brexit carry on.

• Advertisement

Thanks bazz, thought as much will buzz them Monday.

Maybe try a NCT centre outside of Dublin but within a practical distance to you.

mjatkey wrote: »
    Ok Guys, so brought car over yesterday, went to book it in for VRT check and guess what no slots available practically in the whole country, certainly nothing in Dublin. Is it a case of just ringing Monday morning and seeing if they can fit me in. What happens to the 7 day and 30 day clocks? Thanks

I had the same experience when I booked mine a few months ago. Started calling them Monday morning and checking and re-checking the website.. they were really not helpful on the phones, but at some point after lunch, bookings wide open for all centres.

Thanks guys, yes plan to start calling in short while.

mjatkey wrote: »
    Thanks guys, yes plan to start calling in short while.

Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Guys, called them nice lady got me an appointment for Deans Grange next Wednesday and there were a good few slots available. Just make sure I have all the paper work in place now. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Hey guys, tricky question, thinking of importing from UK the almost new car, 12 months old and 2000m, on Revenue website it states:
    If you are importing a new car from another EU country you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. A new car means a car that has been in service for 6 months or less, or has been driven for 6,000 kilometres or less. The VAT is payable even where you have paid VAT in the other country.

So how do you interpret "or" in this case, if its a year old but still <6000km miles would I still be liable for VAT?

Cheers.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Hey guys, tricky question, thinking of importing from UK the almost new car, 12 months old and 2000m, on Revenue website it states:
    If you are importing a new car from another EU country you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), usually when registering the car. A new car means a car that has been in service for 6 months or less, or has been driven for 6,000 kilometres or less. The VAT is payable even where you have paid VAT in the other country.

So how do you interpret "or" in this case, if its a year old but still <6000km miles would I still be liable for VAT?

Cheers.
    Hi, yes you would, both criteria are relevant 6000Km is 3728.227 miles, could try the scenic route back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Car could be first registered e.g. 5 years ago but if it has done less than 6000 km, it is liable for VAT.

If importing a car like you describe, it should be possible to reclaim the UK VAT (if buying from a dealer anyway), as it cannot attract VAT twice.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Esel wrote: »
    Car could be first registered e.g. 5 years ago but if it has done less than 6000 km, it is liable for VAT.

If importing a car like you describe, it should be possible to reclaim the UK VAT (if buying from a dealer anyway), as it cannot attract VAT twice.
    If you enjoy banging your head against a brick wall. Take scenic route to VRT appointment is the best advice.

Thanks, looks like it will be better to find a car with slightly higher milage, scenic route of 4000km is not entertaining me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks, looks like it will be better to find a car with slightly higher milage, scenic route of 4000km is not entertaining me :)
    The choice is yours. To be clear, when we said "take the scenic route to Ireland" you're aware we meant just don't VRT it until it's at 6000km, right?

The choice is yours. To be clear, when we said "take the scenic route to Ireland" you're aware we meant just don't VRT it until it's at 6000km, right?

Yes, I got the idea :) but still making 4K km in 30 days not working for me, nor delaying VRT (my normal milage <10K per year :), there are other cars, but thanks for clarification!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes, I got the idea :) but still making 4K km in 30 days not working for me, nor delaying VRT (my normal milage <10K per year :), there are other cars, but thanks for clarification!

Get the ferry to France and spend Christmas break touring the continent before coming home........ you won't have been the first, or the last, to do this.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I had my Hyundai i40 VRT'd on 18th November 2016. The VRT was €3,300 on a 2013 top spec model. I sent off my letter of appeal a couple of days later.

I stated I thought VRT was too high, included 3 live card adverts off done deal that were significantly cheaper than main dealer adverts. Got letter today stating they had reviewed my case & I received a cheque for €556. Happy Days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I had my Hyundai i40 VRT'd on 18th November 2016. The VRT was €3,300 on a 2013 top spec model. I sent off my letter of appeal a couple of days later.

I stated I thought VRT was too high, included 3 live card adverts off done deal that were significantly cheaper than main dealer adverts. Got letter today stating they had reviewed my case & I received a cheque for €556. Happy Days!

Is there a possibility of the price going up if you appeal?! Where did you send the letter to?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Is there a possibility of the price going up if you appeal?! Where did you send the letter to?

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt-appeals.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Car arrived into the country today, original registration of the car is the 12th of Jan, I know I have to get VRT done within 30 days of entering the country. If I hold off & book it for the 13th of Jan will the VRT less considering the car will be a day into it's next year?

Car arrived into the country today, original registration of the car is the 12th of Jan, I know I have to get VRT done within 30 days of entering the country. If I hold off & book it for the 13th of Jan will the VRT less considering the car will be a day into it's next year?

Same question posted in #4880. And answered in the following bunch.

YanisK wrote: »
    Same question posted in #4880. And answered in the following bunch.

Thanks!

I think it goes in 12 month stages from month of first registration so there won't be a difference until you go past the month of registration again in 2017.

Does it have to go past the month of registration or will a day over make a difference? Eg, Car reg on 12th of Jan, wait to 13th of Jan to do VRT?

No guarantee, Revenue determine the car's market value here when calculating VRT, they make adjustments at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Pacifico wrote: »

This is the address I sent letter

Office of the Revenue Commissioners
    Central Vehicles Office
    Rosslare Harbour
    Co. Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 9 riggles2

my car does not come up on the vrt calculator so i rang them to be told that I would not know the value of my car until I turned up at my vrt appointment scary!!!!

So after reading the manual I found this

What I found does not make sense
    8.3.4 Establish the Age
    This is a simple process of calculating the number of years from the date of first registration to
    the date the vehicle is presented for registration and then determining the actual month of
    registration in the State. In order to refine further the valuation process, a supplementary
    adjustment is made depending on the month of registration in accordance with the following
    table:
    Revenue Operational Manual VRT Section 8
    Page 8 of 24
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    +5% +4% +3% +2% +1% 0 0 -1% -2% -3% -4% -5%
    The supplementary adjustments apply to vehicles aged between 1 year (change of calendar
    year) and 119 months old, based on the month the vehicle is registered in the State. For year
    one (change of calendar year) only the supplementary adjustments from July through to
    December apply.

Example page12
    Activity Value €
    Step 1 Has verified an OMSP of 20,000 20,000
    Step 2 Has assigned depreciation table Appendix 1 A1
    Step 3 Has established an extras package of 1,000 but
    this is depreciated by 55% (refer to para. 8.3.3
    above)
    Step 4 Adjusted OMSP of the vehicle 20,450

(((*****Step 5 Has established that the vehicle is 3 years old,
    and in conjunction with Step 2 that the vehicle
    has depreciated to €14,519. It should be noted
    here that if the vehicle was registered in March
    a supplementary adjustment of +3% would be
    included increasing the OMSP to €14,954 but
    if the vehicle was registered in October the
    supplementary adjustment of –3% would
    decrease the OMSP to €14,083*****))))

Step 6 Has calculated a reduction of 5% for “Fair”
    condition
    Step 7 Has imposed a reduction for excess kilometres
    72,000-52,500 (1500 x 35 months) = 19,500
    Excess Allowance (refer to para. 8.3.6 above)
    (10x €70)+(2 x 60) (first 16000 excess €70,
    3500 = 2 x €60)
    Total for VRT 12,974
    VRT due @ 27% 3,502

So if I am reading this correctly say my cars value is €10000 OMSP, in Dec its value get -5% to €9500 if I wait until Jan it get +5% to €10500. Please can some body please tell me I am reading this all wrong. If you play around on the vrt calculator on the breakdown on the top right you can the the monthly adjustment I am talking about which at the moment will say 95% as we are in December if you add a car more than one year old. If I wait until Jan with this change to 105%??

PLEASE HELP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

I am thinking of buying a car in the North.

Which documents does the dealer need to supply to me to allow me import?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement