Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

893bet wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a car in the North.

Which documents does the dealer need to supply to me to allow me import?[/QUOT

The full V5 and a receipt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bazz26 wrote: »
    No guarantee, Revenue determine the car's market value here when calculating VRT, they make adjustments at their discretion.

However- most recent appeals have been upheld- as it is widely accepted by the Revenue Commissioners, that the collapse in sterling and Brexit- have reduced the average cost of all secondhand cars in this jurisdiction by between 10 and 25%

It really is a case of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'- if you appeal a valuation- it is highly unlikely in the current market that you will not succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Fyi, I received refund of €470 after appealing which is actually more than I even claimed! VRT for my 2010 Prius was €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭artheb

YanisK wrote: »
    Fyi, I received refund of €470 after appealing which is actually more than I even claimed! VRT for my 2010 Prius was €1500.

How long did you wait for the refund. Did you actually specifie how much do you expect to be refunded? Did you send some examples of the lower price on the market?

artheb wrote: »
    How long did you wait for the refund. Did you actually specifie how much do you expect to be refunded? Did you send some examples of the lower price on the market?

Posted on 1 Dec, cheque received on 16 Dec.
    I did specify €370 actually :D
    Attached 6 listings from carzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Looking for some advice, if anyone can help. I bought a car in the UK and brought it back here, but I only now realise that I should've got the entire VC5 form. Instead, the dealer followed their usual routine and sent part of the VC5 to the DVLA in Swansea (I gave my parents address, which is in the UK). The only parts I have in my hand are 10, 11, and 12.

What should I do now - should I wait for the ownership form to be returned to my parents address (possibly won't be with us in time for the 30-day VRT deadline). Or ask the dealer to contact the DVLA and request them to cancel processing the VC5?

Wish I'd read this thread in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The DVLA are surprisingly quick.
    Try and book the inspection towards the end of the 30 day window, and hopefully you'll have it be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Shelga

I've just moved back home to Dublin with my car, having lived in the U.K. for 5+ years. I should be exempt from VRT as I've owned it more than 6 months.

However, does anyone know how long I have before I have to go to the DVLA and begin the import process? I'm looking for a job and I don't want to import it to Ireland only to end up getting a job back in England. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Shelga wrote: »
    I've just moved back home to Dublin with my car, having lived in the U.K. for 5+ years. I should be exempt from VRT as I've owned it more than 6 months.

However, does anyone know how long I have before I have to go to the DVLA and begin the import process? I'm looking for a job and I don't want to import it to Ireland only to end up getting a job back in England. :rolleyes:

The same timeline applies. I did it 2 months ago, and it was my 2nd time doing it.

It's a lot to deal with when moving, and you need to have your ducks in a row before you leave in my opinion.
    For the DVLA you need to fill in the permenant export, and ideally get their reply.

For revenue here, you need lots of evidence. Work contracts, utility bills, accommodation evidence, ferry tickets, car tax, insurance etc.

There are some gotchas also, 1 being if you're married and where your missus lives.

If you moved back at Christmas you'll need to get the ball rolling asap.

If you don't know if you're staying or leaving then you've a problem. You'll at least need to show evidence of the car coming into the state at a later date. If you have moved out of where you are living, getting evidence of having lived there that's up to date will be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Shelga wrote: »

If you still have ties in the U.K., you might be able to assert that you have not transferred your residence or that you are uncertain whether your stay here is of a temporary nature. If you buy property or take on a permanent job or enroll your kids in schools, these might be indicia to the contrary.

Alternatively, the VRT exemption applies to transfers of vehicles up to 12 months after your transfer of residence meaning that you do not need to import your car at the same time as you come to stay in Ireland.

I moved back in April after 20 years and imported two cars. If you're in Dublin, the transfer of residencecexemption is effected through a Revenue office in Tallaght with no arrangements for personal visits meaning you have to submit as much paper proof as you can. Contrastingly, in other counties you can attend at the local office and go through the paperwork to make sure there's enough proof. It was issued fairly quickly to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

Hi all, i've a couple of questions re buying a car already in Ireland on UK plates.
    Car in question is late 80s, listed as a private sale on DD, and by the power of the internet it would appear the seller is a small time dealer who occasionally brings in one-off quasi-classics. This particular car is something i'm interested in viewing this weekend if its still available.
    The online VRT calculator is giving me a cost of €600 to register the car.

I'm not 100% on the 'legality' of buying a car already in Ireland on UK plates, but i wouldn't be the first to do it i'm sure..

My questions are as follows:
    1: What documents should the seller have in his possession?
    2: What do i do with these docs if i buy?
    3: Do i present the car to the VRT office, saying i've just brought it in?
    4: Do i need any proof that it was (or wasn't) me who brought the car into Ireland?
    5: Anything else i need to do, or have missed?

thanks

tc20 wrote: »
    My questions are as follows:
    1: What documents should the seller have in his possession?
    2: What do i do with these docs if i buy?
    3: Do i present the car to the VRT office, saying i've just brought it in?
    4: Do i need any proof that it was (or wasn't) me who brought the car into Ireland?
    5: Anything else i need to do, or have missed?

3-4: You will need proof of the date the car entered Ireland. You VRT appointment needs to be no longer than 30 days after the date of entry. If there is no such proof, take the ferry to Holyhead and back, and present the return ticket only :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

Hi. Looking at the vrt website it states that you need to get a 'Certificate of Conformity' when you buy a car and bring it to ireland. Anyone know much about this, first i heard of it? Cant find anyone referring to it on boards as something that's needed??? thanks.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/purchase-car-abroad.html

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Hi. Looking at the vrt website it states that you need to get a 'Certificate of Conformity' when you buy a car and bring it to ireland. Anyone know much about this, first i heard of it? Cant find anyone referring to it on boards as something that's needed??? thanks.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/purchase-car-abroad.html

Are you buying a brand new car?

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Are you buying a brand new car?
    No, 2nd hand. So thats the difference? CoC for new cars only?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

No, 2nd hand. So thats the difference? CoC for new cars only?

As far as I know it is only for new cars... I think it was on the thread a month or so ago. One less thing to worry about I guess?

Pete123456 wrote: »
    As far as I know it is only for new cars... I think it was on the thread a month or so ago. One less thing to worry about I guess?

great, makes sense i suppose. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Certificate of Conformity is only for a brand new car that has never ever been registered before. It does not apply to second hand cars. Gets mentioned in this thread every few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nicholas.murphy

I'm importing a car next week. I've done this twice before but not for 7 years so the Motor Tax assessment is different now.

The Revenue lists CO2 on this model as 172g/km but everywhere else lists it as 167g/km, including UK DVLA. This affects the Motor Tax rate from €570 to €750 pa.

There's one of the same model for sale in Ireland (looks like a UK import) and it's showing the €570 rate when I look up it's registration.

Does anyone know if there's a way to query this with the Revenue to get the €570 rate ? I don't want to argue the VRT at all, just the CO2.

Many thanks in advance.

They go off the co2 figure on the car's v5 registration document when VRTing the car. Verify the figure on the car's v5 registration document with the seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm importing a car next week. I've done this twice before but not for 7 years so the Motor Tax assessment is different now.

The Revenue lists CO2 on this model as 172g/km but everywhere else lists it as 167g/km, including UK DVLA. This affects the Motor Tax rate from €570 to €750 pa.

There's one of the same model for sale in Ireland (looks like a UK import) and it's showing the €570 rate when I look up it's registration.

Does anyone know if there's a way to query this with the Revenue to get the €570 rate ? I don't want to argue the VRT at all, just the CO2.

Many thanks in advance.

Ultimately they will go from what is on the V5C; the UK model might be one with a slight engine or spec difference which was neither sold here nor imported previously. Ultimately the CO2 is determined from the original Cert of Conformity which is used to populate the registration document in the Member State of first registration. There is no basis for Ireland to retest the CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spires

As above v5 will confirm co2 for your car. On the vrt calculation on revenue page you can manually enter co2 put correctly co2 in and calculate vrt and bring printout with you when paying vrt. You can also dispute vrt price after and get refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Now really is a great time to be importing. The price on sterling is £1 to €1.13 today. Tomorrow it could be better again with the UK's Brexit meeting. A 2013 F13 640D is €50,000 in Ireland with plenty of miles on the clock. A 20,000 mile one including VRT is low €30,000's. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was watching it last week - it did go down to 1.14. Based on what happens tomorrow, it could go either way. And if Brexit fails in the courts, it will certainly push it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What is the best way to pay for a car worth say 20k sterling? I mean what is the cheapest way to get sterling and what is the best way to actual hand over the payment dealing with reputable dealers.

mickdw wrote: »
    What is the best way to pay for a car worth say 20k sterling? I mean what is the cheapest way to get sterling and what is the best way to actual hand over the payment dealing with reputable dealers.

The OP on this mentioned a company you can sign up to but if I was dealing with a UK official BMW dealer I'd probably just get their bank account details and have BOI send it on. I'm seriously tempted now, I just need an acceptable price for mine. I'm blaming you btw!!

You could use the likes of currency fair or transfer mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

MarkN wrote: »
    The OP on this mentioned a company you can sign up to but if I was dealing with a UK official BMW dealer I'd probably just get their bank account details and have BOI send it on. I'm seriously tempted now, I just need an acceptable price for mine. I'm blaming you btw!!

I will take the blame on that one as long as you send me a euro every time you smile when you drive it.
    Doing as you mention should achieve a better transfer rate than their advertised rate for buying sterling notes I would assume.

I wonder would Bavarian be somewhere to look at as it would be easier all round. Choice might not be the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

VRT light commercial without a vat number do I need tax clearance cert

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement