Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, pretty standard practice especially on premium brands. They charge VRT on factory extras on cars upto 4 years old and depreciate those extras over that time.

So for example if your car is 1 year old then they will value the extras at 75% of their original market price and then charge the percentage rate of VRT based on that 75%.

Using easy figures:

Original cost of factory extras - 2000
    1 year old car, extras depreciation @ 75% = 1,500
    VRT bracket rate = 19%
    VRT on the extras = 285

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes, pretty standard practice especially on premium brands. They charge VRT on factory extras on cars upto 4 years old and depreciate those extras over that time.

So for example if your car is 1 year old then they will value the extras at 75% of their original market price and then charge the percentage rate of VRT based on that 75%.

Using easy figures:

Original cost of factory extras - 2000
    1 year old car, extras depreciation @ 75% = 1,500
    VRT bracket rate = 19%
    VRT on the extras = 285

Jesus I didnt know that..

I bought a 2015 Mercedes E Class AMG Premium Class

I think that most of the extras on it are standard for the premium Class.

On the VRT website they have the exact model there so I was thinking that I shouldnt have to pay for the extras as they are on the model

Ill see what they say on Monday

Hopefully they go with the price on the website,(6701 Euro!!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

They don't add anything for extras, it's calculated using the VIN as this gives the all the build details.

aujopimur wrote: »
    They don't add anything for extras, it's calculated using the VIN as this gives the all the build details.

Yep but it can result in a higher figure to the figure that appears in the VRT calculator which cannot account for factory extras. While they emphasise the VRT figure is an estimate, some people still take it as gospel and get a nasty shock on the day of VRT inspection if the car is loaded with factory extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Silpac

please help !

Ok I'm clear that anything my car I'm importing will be subject to VAT also if its either less than 6,000km OR less than 6 months old.
    Its 7 months old but only 3200km.

I understand I have 7 days to make an appointment and that the criteria above apply at REGITRATION. Am I correct in understanding this is the day at the NCT centre which within the 30 days of first entry. So I need to put up 2,800 km quickly ?! I can do this during the 30 days is y assessment.

Anyone any experience here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Silpac wrote: »
    please help !

Ok I'm clear that anything my car I'm importing will be subject to VAT also if its either less than 6,000km OR less than 6 months old.

I understand I have 7 days to make an appointment and that the criteria above apply at REGITRATION. Am I correct in understanding this is the day at the NCT centre which within the 30 days of first entry. So I need to put up 2,800 km quickly ?! I can do this during the 30 days is y assessment.

In theory you could but that's a lot of Kms to be putting up in 28 or 29 days... you'd want a lot of spare time to be putting up at least 98km EVERY day (unless you've got a big daily commute each day that you could tack on a few km to)

The trip back from the UK etc would help you to put up a few Kms but I'm not sure if you've already driven it back

Pete123456 wrote: »
    In theory you could but that's a lot of Kms to be putting up in 28 or 29 days... you'd want a lot of spare time to be putting up at least 98km EVERY day (unless you've got a big daily commute each day that you could tack on a few km to)

The trip back from the UK etc would help you to put up a few Kms but I'm not sure if you've already driven it back

No its not back yet so - I will dig 700km into on the way back.

No its not back yet so - I will dig 700km into on the way back.

Itll be a long long day if youre gonna put up 700km unless you make stops and sleep on the ferry.

Depending on the car and the fuel cost, is there a similar model available in the UK with an extra 2 or 3k Kms on it? seems like a lot of hardship, but i spose if youve your heart set on that particular car, and you think youll get the mileage up on it in time then go for it!

What car/model is it as a matter of interest? and are you making a good saving (including base VRT, VRT on extras, flight(s), ferry, fuel, food, transport to the dealers etc.) vs a similar car with a few more miles on it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

please help !

I'm in the same boat with 3,234kms to make up, just plan on driving up the shortfall to the 6,000kms over the first 29 of my 30 days, 2 hrs on the motorway every second night should do it, just take it on the chin if the car is worth it, certainly worth it for me...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm not advising clocking the car up to say 10k km or anything like that, but how would they know if this was done?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat with 3,234kms to make up, just plan on driving up the shortfall to the 6,000kms over the first 29 of my 30 days, 2 hrs on the motorway every second night should do it, just take it on the chin if the car is worth it, certainly worth it for me...

good man, ah I've worked out also and I'm happy to do it - have to do a few returns from Cork to Dublin so I'll manage. Well worth it also.

Esel wrote: »
    I'm not advising clocking the car up to say 10k km or anything like that, but how would they know if this was done?

They wouldn't and I don't think would care the issue is all the driving !!

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Itll be a long long day if youre gonna put up 700km unless you make stops and sleep on the ferry.

Depending on the car and the fuel cost, is there a similar model available in the UK with an extra 2 or 3k Kms on it? seems like a lot of hardship, but i spose if youve your heart set on that particular car, and you think youll get the mileage up on it in time then go for it!

What car/model is it as a matter of interest? and are you making a good saving (including base VRT, VRT on extras, flight(s), ferry, fuel, food, transport to the dealers etc.) vs a similar car with a few more miles on it?

yes appreciate that - London to Holyhead and then sleep in Dublin and onto Cork.
    I'm saving 15k on the price of a new equivalent Volvo 70. This car is 7 months old low miles and v nice extras. from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They wouldn't and I don't think would care the issue is all the driving !!

You can get the odometer up to 10k while the car is stationary...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    You can get the odometer up to 10k while the car is stationary...

How?

yes appreciate that - London to Holyhead and then sleep in Dublin and onto Cork.
    I'm saving 15k on the price of a new equivalent Volvo 70. This car is 7 months old low miles and v nice extras. from a dealer.

Fair enough, sounds like you've your heart set. Done forget to account for any extra VRT on optional extras, and definitely don't forget the full v5c when you leave the dealers!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

mossy464 wrote: »
    Currently looking into importing a new motor from the UK. Are there better deals in general in mainland UK or similar up north?

Any recommended used car dealerships up north? Similar to carbase or cargiant?

Not similar in the since thst they've every brand, but I bought a 508 off Bell's in Crossgar.

I dealt with Ian. Sound guy. No BS. No big sell. Car keenly priced.

Now, it's not a supermarket, so they might not have what you want, but give them a look all the same. Ya never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

Was reading through the last few posts lads and nearly had a heart attack when I realised my 1 year old Scirocco that I got yesterday and brought over has 4988 km which means I need to get it over 6000 kms in order to avoid paying VAT? I don't know why I thought it only applied to new cars.
    Have to make up around 1000 km in 2 weeks so I won't complain cheers lads for bringing it up.
    Do you guys ring up the vrt number to book a test or do you do it online? Was looking up online dates and they have none for 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

AH92 wrote: »
    Do you guys ring up the vrt number to book a test or do you do it online? Was looking up online dates and they have none for 3 weeks time.

Try the online booking system today after 12:00-13:00, I had the same issue a few months ago and seems they gradually upload the slots on Mondays. Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Kev. wrote: »
    Just a quick question,

I recently bought a 2015 eclass up the north,

I went to pay the VRT today and the lady said as its not 2 years old yet,the revenue search the VIN number and they will get onto me to tell me the amount to pay

She said they look for extras in the car, probably to get more money from me.

The car has everything on it, sunroof, reverse camera, leather seats, cruise control, upgraded wheels etc

Am I going to get hit with a bigger bill that the revenue website?

Anybody any experience with this?

Thanks
    Kev

The revenue got in contact yesterday. They gave me the same quote as the website and didn't charge anything for the extras.I'm happy enough with that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

We are importing a car from UK hopefully today. Buying from a private person. What part of V5 is required to bring with us? If the current owner fills up the V5 in relation to change of car ownership, will that be sufficient in order to register it in Ireland? Do we have to notify the British authorities that the vehicle is being exported?
    I have sorted the insurance and even booked VRT examination.

This question is asked and answered on nearly every page of this thread.

You get the full V5C document from the seller. You do not fill out the change of ownership section because you are not a UK resident. Do not let them send the change of ownership or notification of permanent export section to the DVLA in Swansea as you won't get a new V5 document from them. You will not be able to re-register the car without the car's V5C document. Point them to the DVLA website if they don't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

So it's ok if the old owners details are on the V5? The previous owner does not have to keep any of the pages and doesn't not have to post anything anywhere, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

agnena wrote: »
    So it's ok if the old owners details are on the V5? The previous owner does not have to keep any of the pages and doesn't not have to post anything anywhere, is that right?
    You take the complete V5 as is, the seller can notify DVLA by letter, make this clear to the seller.

agnena wrote: »

The name on the V5C document makes no difference to the VRT office here. They are only interested in the car's details on the V5C, not who it was registered to in the UK. When you present the car and full V5C document they will keep the V5C and then issue the new Irish owner a new Irish vehicle registration cert (logbook). It is imperative however that you get the full V5C from the UK seller in order to register the car in Ireland. If the UK seller sends it off to the DVLA then you will have a lot of hassle and time getting the DVLA to issue a certificate of permanent export to you in order for you to register the car here.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

Cargiant is now much more difficult to go to for Irish buyers. They require you to go over and view the car before making any arrangements, they will not take a deposit over the phone. So unless you can get over at very short notice on the cheap (rail and sail maybe) the car you want will very likely be gone before you can make it over. They also want passport, EU driver's licence and 2 forms of proof of address before they'll sell to you. I don't know why places like this work so very hard at putting barriers in the way.

They will reserve it for you for a maximum of 24 hours. Disappointing. I literally had my bank card in my hand asking them to take a deposit and they refused. "It's praceeeedjha".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

if the owner wants to fill put the export bit and post it off, let them it makes no difference so long as you get the main part of the V5C. The old owner should write to the DVLA , but that's up to them....just get the main part of the V5C in your hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iminapickle

This may seem retorical...But having lived in the North for 3.5 years am I allowed to bring a car south without VRT? apologies in advance......maybe its an old mans tale....
    thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Seanosullivan2

Isn't it 6 months?

• Advertisement

This may seem retorical...But having lived in the North for 3.5 years am I allowed to bring a car south without VRT? apologies in advance......maybe its an old mans tale....
    thanks in advance for any replies.

There is information here around VRT exemption and transfer of residency:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement