Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

dylbert wrote: »
    OK so, I've been looking into buying a CT200H for a while now and from the looks of it a lot of them seem to be imported from the UK by dealers. I've been doing a bit of research on importing one myself, this is what I've put together so far.

Car - 2013 CT200H F Sport = €11,800, might be cheaper based on cash deal (based on current exchange rates)
    VRT = €1,589 (F Sport is not listed on the VRT calculator so I just selected the highest spec option)
    RAC inspection = €220
    Flight to Birmingham = €70
    Ferry, Holyhead to Dublin = €125
    NCT = 55
    Motor Tax = €180

So I reckon I could get a car on the road for about €14k, similar cars hear (with less spec) seem to be starting around €17k so a good saving can be had.

Is there anything I'm missing expenses wise?

What I would do if the sport model wasn't listed use the highest spec model like you said you did but then make sure you have g/km right and if not adjust. That figure is the most important factor. You should be able to get it off any autotrader UK advert for the sport model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Silpac wrote: »
    I'm now likely to go over the 30 day rule. If I just buy a ferry ticket one way from Fishguard , it will show arrival within 30 days - is this ok?

I don't know tbh. I was asked for a ferry ticket for proof of entry. Which showed the same date as my invoice, no further questions asked. I don't think going over by a few days is the end of the world anyway. I think it's 0.1% of your VRT for each day over. So if your VRT was €1000 that'll be €1 per day.
    My insurer was kicking up though sending me texts and letters about when am I switching to IRL plates and threatened to cancel the policy.

Actually what happened to me was I finally got the export cert with a week to spare and a few days later I got the V5C too. With a letter from Swansea saying the seller should have given that to you and theres nothing we can do with it so here have it you will need it. So at first I thought I was going to be in big trouble and in the end I had both documents, ironically. In the end it worked out for me with 1 day to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

What I would do if the sport model wasn't listed use the highest spec model like you said you did but then make sure you have g/km right and if not adjust. That figure is the most important factor. You should be able to get it off any autotrader UK advert for the sport model.

The g/km is the same between models, F Sport is just a trim level, different bumpers and suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Switching my insurance il proving to be a nightmare. Rang them twice already, Last wednesday and today, asking to send me a confirmation email about the switch and they havent sent me anything still. I'm flying out tomorrow morning and I'm getting nervous in case i get stopped and dont have written proof

I but a deposit down on a car and hope to head over to pick it up on Monday, I was going to get and RAC inspection done on it but the dealer advised me that Lexus performed a Vehicle Health Check on it only last week, he said I can still do the RAC check but it would be a waste of money as Lexus would have found any issues with the care. He forwarded on the report along with a video of the underside of the car, everything checks out fine, only issue is a missing alloy centre cap.

Just wondering would others be confident enough with a Lexus check, or would you still go with a RAC check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

I but a deposit down on a car and hope to head over to pick it up on Monday, I was going to get and RAC inspection done on it but the dealer advised me that Lexus performed a Vehicle Health Check on it only last week, he said I can still do the RAC check but it would be a waste of money as Lexus would have found any issues with the care. He forwarded on the report along with a video of the underside of the car, everything checks out fine, only issue is a missing alloy centre cap.

Just wondering would others be confident enough with a Lexus check, or would you still go with a RAC check?

I've never gotten an RAC check done.

As long as the car has a FSH, you're buying from a reputable garage, and they're offering a warranty, you should be ok. They'd not be offering a warranty if the car wouldn't last beyond it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Hi all,

What do you do if the VRT web calculator doesn't have the exact model of car? For example, I am looking at a Mere E250 saloon 2.1 diesel. VRT only thinks a sports coupe exists (which is correct if you look at Irish cars).

Also, I would be interested to hear if anyone is buying a UK import every year or so themselves and almost getting away with depreciation???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Hi all,

What do you do if the VRT web calculator doesn't have the exact model of car? For example, I am looking at a Mere E250 saloon 2.1 diesel. VRT only thinks a sports coupe exists (which is correct if you look at Irish cars).

Also, I would be interested to hear if anyone is buying a UK import every year or so themselves and almost getting away with depreciation???

When you go to pay VRT they will say this to you and send car details to Revenue which in turn will tell them what to charge.

I'm getting different answers for vrt prices weather using the website tool or texting VRT to 57252, 300 euro different

Does anyone know which of the two systems gives the most realistic evaluation?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

j4vier wrote: »
    I'm getting different answers for vrt prices weather using the website tool or texting VRT to 57252, 300 euro different

Does anyone know which of the two systems gives the most realistic evaluation?

The 57252 is VRT.ie who are an independent company not affiliated with Revenue... i would think the Revenue VRT calulator is the one to trust of the two, although at the end of the day they are estimates and can vary from the quote on the day of inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

zweton wrote: »
    can i ask where you bought in scotland?

Just north of Glasgow.
    Nissan Leaf.
    Private Sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The g/km is the same between models, F Sport is just a trim level, different bumpers and suspension.

The OMSP will be higher on the F-Sport so just factor the vrt to a be little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

kceire wrote: »
    The OMSP will be higher on the F-Sport so just factor the vrt to a be little bit more.

Also there can be different CO2 emissions values from the same engine. Not sure about the CT200h, but the IS300h has an SE version with 97g/km versus the rest of the range having (I think) 103g/km. This is achieved by smaller, thinner wheels and is aimed at the company car driver to reduce their BIK tax rate.

Technique wrote: »
    Also there can be different CO2 emissions values from the same engine. Not sure about the CT200h, but the IS300h has an SE version with 97g/km versus the rest of the range having (I think) 103g/km. This is achieved by smaller, thinner wheels and is aimed at the company car driver to reduce their BIK tax rate.

As far as I can make out all CT's are rated at 94g/km.

Think I've everything sorted now, I fly to Birmingham on Monday to pick up the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

As far as I can make out all CT's are rated at 94g/km.

Think I've everything sorted now, I fly to Birmingham on Monday to pick up the car :)

Hey I imported a ct200h, not the f-sport model though, about 6 months ago. It looks like you've had most of your questions answered but if there's anything else you need to know feel free to ask me here or by PM

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Esel wrote: »
    1. Dealer cannot now tax the car for you. Any current tax expires at change of owner. Onus is on new owner to have tax on the car. Recent change in the law.

Hi Guys.

I am planning to go over to the UK this day next week to pick up a car. I ran a check online last night and realised the tax is expired. I'll be driving over 300 miles from the London area to Holyhead. Do people tend to tax the car in this scenario, or take their chances?

Thanks!

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Personally I took the chance and unless the dealer forced me to tax a car the next time I probably would risk it again... you could try and explain to the policeman you are heading for the ferry but as for ANPR and stuff I dunno

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Personally I took the chance and unless the dealer forced me to tax a car the next time I probably would risk it again... you could try and explain to the policeman you are heading for the ferry but as for ANPR and stuff I dunno

It never even crossed my mind until last night, and initially I was thinking I'd chance it, but the fact that it's such a long spin along major motorways, coupled with the ANPR system, I'm starting to think otherwise.

I can think of 3 options at the moment:
    1. Chance it
    2. Tax it
    3. Ship it

Does anyone know what information I'd need to tax it? From googling, it seems I would need to tax it for a full year, and then get a refund for 11 months. But I can't find info on whether I'd be able to tax it on the morning I buy it, and whether I'd need a UK address for example? Or UK insurance? (I was planning to extend/transfer my Irish insurance).

Is getting someone to collect it and stick it on the back of a truck for me an option? I'm guessing that might be prohibitively expensive?

I was forced by the dealer to tax my car before leaving, it wasn't a big deal for the sake of 20 quid and the fact it can be refunded by posting a letter to Swansea

j4vier wrote: »
    I was forced by the dealer to tax my car before leaving, it wasn't a big deal for the sake of 20 quid and the fact it can be refunded by posting a letter to Swansea

Thanks for the reply. Any chance you could describe the process, what information was needed, and how long it took? I'm definitely happy to pay the 20 quid or so - i'd just like to be clear on what's needed when I'm headed over. Also, I'm hoping to make it to holyhead for a ferry at 17:15, so I'm planning to spend as little time at the garage as possible!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Soarer wrote: »
    I've never gotten an RAC check done.

As long as the car has a FSH, you're buying from a reputable garage, and they're offering a warranty, you should be ok. They'd not be offering a warranty if the car wouldn't last beyond it.

I brought a car in with FSH last year, it was 6months since last service, the garage was reputable etc. but anything could have happened to the car in the time since last service and there are very talented repair guys out there.

I paid for full RAC, it was both piece of mind but also something to have to hand when I sell her on in the future.
    The car turned out 100% mint but I still see it as money well spent....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

b.gud wrote: »
    Hey I imported a ct200h, not the f-sport model though, about 6 months ago. It looks like you've had most of your questions answered but if there's anything else you need to know feel free to ask me here or by PM

Cool thanks, what model do you have, did they value the VRT there and then or did you have to wait.
    They're a lovely car cant wait to pick it up, I've owned an IS200 the past 7 years so getting something that does nearly twice the mpg is great, I'll save a fortune ;).

RonnieL wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Any chance you could describe the process, what information was needed, and how long it took? I'm definitely happy to pay the 20 quid or so - i'd just like to be clear on what's needed when I'm headed over. Also, I'm hoping to make it to holyhead for a ferry at 17:15, so I'm planning to spend as little time at the garage as possible!

Give yourself 1-2 hrs time to drive around the dealership area in case you need to go back.

For me, I spent less than an hour with the dealer to sort out the paperwork.
    He ll sort out the road tax for you, just bring your debit card and driving license. Insurance is your responsibility and they weren't interested in any proof.
    I drove for an hour and got back to him as I had to clarify the updated hpi information since the car showed as being on finance.

Where are you collecting? I collected near Bristol at 9:30 am and took the 8:30 pm ferry. Felt the timing was good to give myself a bit of a rest during the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Cool thanks, what model do you have, did they value the VRT there and then or did you have to wait.
    They're a lovely car cant wait to pick it up, I've owned an IS200 the past 7 years so getting something that does nearly twice the mpg is great, I'll save a fortune ;).

Mine is a 131 advance model. Mine was already in the system so I just paid the vrt then and there.

As well as the mpg I'd imagine the tax difference will be great. I've heard is 200 can be huge on tax

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Hi, my Dad has booking tomorrow morning for a vrt inspection, however he has mislaid his bank draft. He has all other documents. Can he still present the car tomorrow and pay on Monday with replacement draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

All in all wrote: »
    Hi, my Dad has booking tomorrow morning for a vrt inspection, however he has mislaid his bank draft. He has all other documents. Can he still present the car tomorrow and pay on Monday with replacement draft?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭theminstrel

Just wondering if anybody has traded in a UK import car back to a UK garage.
    Brought in a Ford S-Max from UK last year and just wondering if it's possible to trade up a year or 18 months. I asked the garage I bought it from and they weren't interested as they thought it was too much hassle for them to register it again. But from looking at the DVLA site it doesn't seem overly complicated.
    Will call a few places nest week to see if there's anyone interested but was curious if anyone had experience of doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Buying a car in NI from a dealer who has a HPI cert for the car. Now I don't trust anyone and I'm pretty handy with photoshop so could create one myself so is there a way to prove a HPI cert is genuine?

I can't see anywhere on the HPI site to check a HPI report but is there a way for me to do this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You could get one yourself to be certain.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Esel wrote: »
    You could get one yourself to be certain.

That's what I plan to do but was just wondering if I could verify an existing cert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement