Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's no effort what-so-ever, the DVLA will sort it out quickly and it'll go back to the original reg.
    I have a car that was UK -> Irish -> UK and now Irish again. The last step is complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

Looking at a car up north and don't know full spec but licence plate visable on advert.

Motorcheck website quoting €4918 VRT while the Text service is quoting €6694. Anyone know where I would get an accurate figure before I go to view/buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

culsoh wrote: »
    Looking at a car up north and don't know full spec but licence plate visable on advert.

Motorcheck website quoting €4918 VRT while the Text service is quoting €6694. Anyone know where I would get an accurate figure before I go to view/buy?

could you ring the dealer/owner and explain youre thinking about it but want to know full spec to check the revenue online calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Hi guys my car was VRTd last Tuesday on its Irish plates now haven't got anything in the post to tax it or can't seem to log in online can I just go into the tax office to tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

sjb25 wrote: »
    Hi guys my car was VRTd last Tuesday on its Irish plates now haven't got anything in the post to tax it or can't seem to log in online can I just go into the tax office to tax it?
    You can tax it online using the last 6 digits of the VIN, only then will the VRC be issued.

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    You can tax it online using the last 6 digits of the VIN, only then will the VRC be issued.

Thanks save me a drive

aujopimur wrote: »

Thanks save me a drive

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mmc272

Hi, can anyone tell me, for a used car bought in the U.K to VRT, do I need the full V5C to register it here in Ireland,

It a wee bit conflicting on the website, saying the V5C needed in one part and in another part saying a Certificate of Conformity,

I have the certificate of conformity and the right hand side of the V5C,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you need the whole V5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Isambard wrote: »
    you need the whole V5C.

Except for Section 4 which the garage keeps I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Except for Section 4 which the garage keeps I believe.

the export section is for people exporting their own car. MAkes no difference if they keep it, so long as you get the main part of the doct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭goochy

Noticed that despite low value of sterling , used car dealers who previously dealt in uk cars seem to be dealing in irish cars ? Has the supply of irish used cars for so good that values are low and it's not worth importing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe you are just starting to see the first real batch of the 3 year old PCP cars coming back into dealerships. PCP would have really started to take off around 2014. Used prices of Irish cars have dropped significantly too in the last 12 months or so due to sterling/Brexit, etc so there may not be the same value for some dealers to import. Still plenty of clocked or Cat C/D rubbish being offered by supermarket car park dealers on donedeal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Sorry if this has been asked before but if I present a mobile phone bill as proof of address when paying the VRT would this be acceptable? It's just that I would like a D reg on the car but don't live in Dublin.
    I was going to change my bill address with Meteor to a friend's in Dublin and use that.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭goochy

Was passing ken lawford motors today interesting ad in window , 'do you want access to british car auctions ? ' enquire within.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Sorry if this has been asked before but if I present a mobile phone bill as proof of address when paying the VRT would this be acceptable? It's just that I would like a D reg on the car but don't live in Dublin.
    I was going to change my bill address with Meteor to a friend's in Dublin and use that.
    Thanks.

Has to be a utility bill like esb or gas or home phone, mobile phone bill is no good.

If your really set on a D reg, get your friend to register it and sign it over to you once it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Has to be a utility bill like esb or gas or home phone, mobile phone bill is no good.

If your really set on a D reg, get your friend to register it and sign it over to you once it's done.

Not doubting you or anything. I know how Government bodies tend to have strange rules. But nowadays lots of people live quite happily without having their names on "utility bills". You could be living at home with parents or in a partners house etc. etc.

I wonder if anyone has found a way around this rule without putting an extra owner on the car's record.

It's not a strange rule though, if a car is being registered in someone's name then surely that person's correct address is needed otherwise why bother insisting on an address at all? The State don't care whether people register cars in certain counties for resale purposes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Hi all,
    I've read posts about driving an extra few hundred km to get a car above 6k to avoid VAT.
    I thought that if it was a 'new car' (less than 6 mths OR less than 6,000km) you would not pay VAT in UK (i.e save on list price) and then pay VAT in Ireland, so no extra cost.

Did i get this wrong , is there a chance you get caught for VAT here and not have it knocked off the UK price ?

Cheers,
    Twerg.

6 months old or 6000 km is an Irish tax law around registering an imported car in Ireland, it has nothing to do with the UK or any other country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-728-new-means-of-transport/vat-notice-728-new-means-of-transport

A motorised land vehicle is not new when more than 6 months have elapsed since the date of its first entry into service (see paragraph 2.3), and

it has, since its first entry into service, travelled under its own power for more than 6000 kilometres.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's not a strange rule though, if a car is being registered in someone's name then surely that person's correct address is needed otherwise why bother insisting on an address at all? The State don't care whether people register cars in certain counties for resale purposes, etc.

Sure I agree that they want to get the address.The problem is that their required documentation to prove the address is not available to a lot of people.
    I just thought there might be some way that someone who is not a householder could register a car.

elperello wrote: »
    Sure I agree that they want to get the address.The problem is that their required documentation to prove the address is not available to a lot of people.
    I just thought there might be some way that someone who is not a householder could register a car.

In fairness, they accept a bank statement. Most people have a bank account, and you can walk into any branch and print a statement. This would apply whether you are a householder or not

Pete123456 wrote: »
    In fairness, they accept a bank statement. Most people have a bank account, and you can walk into any branch and print a statement. This would apply whether you are a householder or not

Thanks for that. Bank statement makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭griffin100

Sorry can someone clarify for me the change of ownership / permanent export process please.

When I buy a car in the UK is it the case that the dealer sends off the updated change of ownership details and I then wait for the DVLA to issue me with an updated V5C. I then return the V5C/4 part to the DVLA regarding permanent export from the UK and use the rest of the V5C cert when paying the VRT? Is that correct?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Sorry can someone clarify for me the change of ownership / permanent export process please.

When I buy a car in the UK is it the case that the dealer sends off the updated change of ownership details and I then wait for the DVLA to issue me with an updated V5C. I then return the V5C/4 part to the DVLA regarding permanent export from the UK and use the rest of the V5C cert when paying the VRT? Is that correct?

Nope you dont let the dealer send it off because the DVLA will not send you the updated one. You take the whole V5C with you and thats what you give the Revenue on the day of your VRT appointment. If you let the dealer send it off itll take a lot of time and potentially cost you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nope you dont let the dealer send it off because the DVLA will not send you the updated one. You take the whole V5C with you and thats what you give the Revenue on the day of your VRT appointment. If you let the dealer send it off itll take a lot of time and potentially cost you money.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

****, Ive mine tomorrow and all I have is part of the V5C form. Any idea on how, where I proceed from here regarding getting the entire form?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hi, which form do i need? I see there is 2 on the website, authorised and non authorised but it doesn't explain what the difference is.. tks

• Advertisement

Search the forum, it was explained a few pages back... im not a hundred percent sure tbh but i know its gonna take some time... If we had a sticky of the commonly asked questions and the answers maybe people woulnt make these mistakes or end up asking the same questions over and over...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement