Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Search the forum, it was explained a few pages back... im not a hundred percent sure tbh but i know its gonna take some time... If we had a sticky of the commonly asked questions and the answers maybe people woulnt make these mistakes or end up asking the same questions over and over...

I tried to find the answer to my question but the over 5,000 posts across 13 years of discussion meant I had no idea where to start!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

@griffen
    To answer your question. You arrive at dealer. They will have the V5C form. (Part of normal process is for them to send to DVLA) DO NOT LET THEM DO THIS. Keep the entire V5C form except for the part that tells the DVLA that the car is being exported. The entire form but this bit should stay with you.

If by chance you are an idiot like me,:) I forgot to take my own advice and to ask for the entire V5C form when I was there. I got the change of ownership part of the form but not the entire V5C form. (Hoping VRT Center will accept this). If you don't have the V5C, get a V756 form from the gov.uk website and fax/post the letter off to them. They will send this back to you filled out and you can use the form they send back as proff of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the VRT centre won't accept it and the chances of getting the Cert of export within the 30 days diminish by a day every 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

griffin100 wrote: »
    I tried to find the answer to my question but the over 5,000 posts across 13 years of discussion meant I had no idea where to start!!!!!

with all due respect, and im not trying to be smart, theres a "search this thread" option at the top of the page and i just typed in v5c and it throws back loads of results with lots of situations similar to yours...

at least youll know for the next time though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭griffin100

with all due respect, and im not trying to be smart, theres a "search this thread" option at the top of the page and i just typed in v5c and it throws back loads of results with lots of situations similar to yours...

at least youll know for the next time though! :)

Fair point. Did what you said and picked up the car from the North today and kept the entire V5C. The dealer despite selling cars regularly into the south was clueless as to the whole export / VRT process. Glad I asked here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Goose81

Can i drive the vehicle i import in Ireland before it is vrt'd later this week, has UK tax in date. I'm insured to drive it but am i ok if the cops stop me

Goose81 wrote: »
    Can i drive the vehicle i import in Ireland before it is vrt'd later this week, has UK tax in date. I'm insured to drive it but am i ok if the cops stop me

Yep youre good for up to 30 days, or until your insurance want irish plates on it, whichever is sooner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Goose81

Yep youre good for up to 30 days, or until your insurance want irish plates on it, whichever is sooner :)

Thanks Pete you've been very helpful, looks like your the only one keeping this thread on track! Fair play mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adam_b94

Hi,

I recently bought a car in Northen Ireland. I bought it through a dealer who was selling the car on behalf of a client. I paid cash and received an invoice for it. The person who was selling it had previously lost the logbook and was waiting on a replacement to come from the DVLA. It still hasn't come and I'm conscious I need to VRT it soon. Is there any forms I can send off myself/anything I can do at all?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You're in a world of pain now regarding getting it VRT'd here, you really should not have bought it without proper paperwork. For all you know the car could have been stolen.

You should be chasing the dealer you bought it from who should be chasing the previous owner but I don't envy your chances of getting any satisfaction from them now that they have your money. I don't think you can do anything from down here. I wish you luck.

• Advertisement

Goose81 wrote: »
    Thanks Pete you've been very helpful, looks like your the only one keeping this thread on track! Fair play mate

that's only true from a Customs point of view though. It's possibly still an offense to drive it untaxed and un NCTd and you should do more research rather than accept the word of someone on the net.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends entirely on your insurance policy- FBD gave me ten calendar days to notify them of the Irish registration details for the vehicle- I ended up paying the calculated VRT and then lodging an appeal. This was a 3 year old Audi A6 Avant S-Line with a technology upgrade and assistance package. Still convinced the VRT was well above what it should have been at- but am happy with the car. Other issue- is the car is now apparently insurance class 28-30 - however, thats for another thread.........

Depends entirely on your insurance policy- FBD gave me ten calendar days to notify them of the Irish registration details for the vehicle- I ended up paying the calculated VRT and then lodging an appeal. This was a 3 year old Audi A6 Avant S-Line with a technology upgrade and assistance package. Still convinced the VRT was well above what it should have been at- but am happy with the car. Other issue- is the car is now apparently insurance class 28-30 - however, thats for another thread.........

Sorry, yeah that's what I meant, sometimes insurers will only give you X number of days to get it VRT'd which can be less than thirty. If this is the case you must VRT it by this date. If not, you must VRT by the 30th day you have the car in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Sorry, yeah that's what I meant, sometimes insurers will only give you X number of days to get it VRT'd which can be less than thirty. If this is the case you must VRT it by this date. If not, you must VRT by the 30th day you have the car in the country

AIG placed me on temporary insurance for 21 days with the uk reg. I actually had to go above this time frame but they were ok with it as long as you can prove that the delay is not caused by you, but external factors such as the revenue taking their time in valuing your car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Hi guys,

For those who have done this, I am wondering if it would be worth it to import something like a 09 fiesta. My gf is learning to drive and needs a car so I'd be the one heading over. On the face of it there is a couple of grand to be saved but I am just having doubts as to whether it's worth it for a car of that age.

Would appreciate the thoughts of those who have done it.

Thanks

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

For those who have done this, I am wondering if it would be worth it to import something like a 09 fiesta. My gf is learning to drive and needs a car so I'd be the one heading over. On the face of it there is a couple of grand to be saved but I am just having doubts as to whether it's worth it for a car of that age.

Thanks

If you can get a better spec car with low mileage in the UK then of course its worth it, even for a 2009. You might also get a good service history.

just having done a quick search on done deal and auto trader, i wouldnt have thought there was a couple of thousand to be saved, but i would be more inclined to buy a car with 30 or 40k miles from the UK instead of 80 or 90k miles here. In my opinion the only regret i have about bringing in my focus is that i didnt pay a bit extra or look around for one that had lower miles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi guys,

Thanks

Some insurance companies, such as FBD for example, won't quote for cars of 8 years or older of age, and other insurance companies impose a loading. Check with your insurance company, it may an issue.......

Some insurance companies, such as FBD for example, won't quote for cars of 8 years or older of age, and other insurance companies impose a loading. Check with your insurance company, it may an issue.......

Won't quote an import over 8 years of age is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

do many people use car transport companies instead of flying over and driving back etc. Seems cheaper to pay €500 to get it transported when you take into account, flight, fuel and time??

I assume once you get a good inspection and use a large main dealer it would be the same as going in person?

Thinking about getting an audi a4 saloon, 2013 from car giant - on the face of it seems be be around a 5k saving with a lower milage better spec car from the uk.

Just obviously feeling apprehensive as never done it before

Are you happy buying a car you haven't physically seen or driven first? I personally would want to go over and view the car in the flesh before making the final payment. While an inspection is comprehensive I'd still like the final decision to buy based on my own viewing and test driving. If your saving 5k on the same car here then the cost of flights, ferry and your time are small. It's a pretty big purchase and not like buying stuff from the likes of amazon where you can send it back if your not happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

nerrad01 wrote: »
    do many people use car transport companies instead of flying over and driving back etc. Seems cheaper to pay €500 to get it transported when you take into account, flight, fuel and time??

I assume once you get a good inspection and use a large main dealer it would be the same as going in person?

Thinking about getting an audi a4 saloon, 2013 from car giant - on the face of it seems be be around a 5k saving with a lower milage better spec car from the uk.

Just obviously feeling apprehensive as never done it before

Yes, I've done it 4 times, get plenty of photos, a video, finance check(s) and a RAC/AA independent written inspection report as well as a call with whomever inspected the car for a straight chat. I've never had an issue to date, everything was as expected and I always only go for main dealer and car with full main dealer service history.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Aa want a postcode for booking an inspection. Can i use any old one. Thanks

The sellers is what they want for their satnav no doubt.

Surely they want the correct postcode of the location where the car is to be inspected?

Isambard wrote:
    The sellers is what they want for their satnav no doubt.

I gave them that. They want my postcode to book the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I gave them that. They want my postcode to book the test.

Give them your Irish post code, (Eircode).

Might be worth ringing them about it, you wouldn't be the first Irish resident with no UK address or postcode to book a car inspection with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just casually mulling this around in my head but, I was thinking it might be worth my taking a trip to the UK later this year to get myself a new shape Fiat Panda, maybe something around 2013 onwards and the Lounge spec.

Would insurance companies be alright to insure something like that or does it cause issues?

Just checked my report from the RAC from 2015, i used a random london Postcode when booking it, and i asked them about it and they didnt mind, just make sure they know the correct one for the inspection if necessary. my car was in manchester. I remember dealing with nice customer agents and they had dealt with plenty of irish previously

• Advertisement

Has anyone used a car inspection person that wasn't aa or rac in Edinburgh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement