Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The car I'm looking to pick up tomorrow hasn't been taxed since Dec. As I'm driving 3 hours I'll def be taxing it. Am I right in thinking I can tax it at the dealers once I get the 12 digit number. Prob a minimum of 6 months? And then claim the difference back?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check with the dealer but I think they can tax it on your behalf. You might be able to tax it for 1 month too but the dealer should be able to confirm that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    The car I'm looking to pick up tomorrow hasn't been taxed since Dec. As I'm driving 3 hours I'll def be taxing it. Am I right in thinking I can tax it at the dealers once I get the 12 digit number. Prob a minimum of 6 months? And then claim the difference back?

The last 2 cars I brought in, I taxed them in the garage before I drove them on the road. As you said, all you need is that number and a postcode. I just used Holyhead postcode. Didn't border claiming back the tax as the 2 cars I bought were £20 and £30 so weren't going to break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

have a question regarding the road tax refund from the uk.

Did anyone go through this process recently and can tell me how long should it take?

I just checked my uk reg now on the dvla website and it is still not marked as exported.

I sent my letter about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

odd coincidence

checked today and it was marked as exported! so process took 3 weeks if anyone will wonder in the future, and hopefully I'll receive the refund soon afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Thinking about importing a 2007 or newer 2.0 petrol Focus in the coming months. Initial VRT calculations are coming in around 600-700. Just wondering if its worth the hassel to import something under 4k and taking into account that there are hardly any 2.0 petrol Focus in Ireland.

Also in the OP a rough estimate of €1000 is giving for flights, ferrys and AA check. Considering the OP is 13 years old would 1k still be what you could be looking at these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Thinking about importing a 2007 or newer 2.0 petrol Focus in the coming months. Initial VRT calculations are coming in around 600-700. Just wondering if its worth the hassel to import something under 4k and taking into account that there are hardly any 2.0 petrol Focus in Ireland.

Also in the OP a rough estimate of €1000 is giving for flights, ferrys and AA check. Considering the OP is 13 years old would 1k still be what you could be looking at these days ?

No I would guess 500-600 these days, flights mid week tend to be cheaper than weekends.

Just checked, dub to Manchester on Wednesday out early and back late (just in case you don't pick something up) is less than 30 quid.

Approximately 290 for the advanced most expensive RAC inspection (although the comprehensive one would be fine imo)

and you're then left with the ferry. When I went I stopped into a Starbucks on the way to Holyhead and booked it. It's a big enough hit to take if you end up not buying the car, but if you know you are for sure and you book it online it's reasonable. Just checked directferries and stenaline from holyhead to dublin on Wednesday leaving at 8.30pm is 136 quid for a car and driver.

You're grand total there is 456 for flight (with return just in case) ferry and top RAC inspection. Obviously these numbers can change a bit depending on where you go, and you should account for 50 for food etc and maybe up to 100 for fuel depending on where you're coming from to the ferry.

As regards the car, if you're getting the model you want and it works out cheaper/lower mileage/higher spec in the U.K. than it's a good deal as far as I'm concerned, but obviously you'd have to consider the above costs in addition to the vrt and purchase price to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hello,

Found a nice car in UK, an automatic as none in South side of the border
    Called the dealer and asked about UK VAT exemption if I have a Irish VAT number, therefore been exempted from their VAT.
    He is not happy about it and I have to pay the full price (car plus UK VAT) and claim VAT back here, in Dublin.

I think he's wrong as none of my other business channel retailers are charging me UK VAT.
    Can you claim the VAT back here !??

Thanks.

This link will tell you if the dealer has to charge you vat. From my under standing, if you are VAT registered the dealer charges you no VAT and they deal with it their end.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-vehicle-sales

masit wrote: »
    This link will tell you if the dealer has to charge you vat. From my under standing, if you are VAT registered the dealer charges you no VAT and they deal with it their end.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-vehicle-sales

Thank you !
    According to your link, well, he's on the wrong.

However, after I spoke with Ben Senior, he mentioned to me that he paid VAT on the purchased value of the car and if he sells it to me without charging VAT how does he recovers his side... dunno, i kind of lost it and said good luck !
    So, he paid vat on £9,000 van at a £1,800 value when he purchased the vehicle.
    If he sells it to me at £9,000 ex... how does he gets the 1,800 back !?

Now, I'm back searching and ill make few more calls in the morning.

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Thank you !
    According to your link, well, he's on the wrong.

However, after I spoke with Ben Senior, he mentioned to me that he paid VAT on the purchased value of the car and if he sells it to me without charging VAT how does he recovers his side... dunno, i kind of lost it and said good luck !
    So, he paid vat on £9,000 van at a £1,800 value when he purchased the vehicle.
    If he sells it to me at £9,000 ex... how does he gets the 1,800 back !?

Now, I'm back searching and ill make few more calls in the morning.

I'm no expert on the VAT side of things but would he not claim the vat back from the UK revenue anyway? The VAT he paid when he bought the van in the first place? He is just not charging you the VAT on your purchase.

I'm no expert on the VAT side of things but would he not claim the vat back from the UK revenue anyway? The VAT he paid when he bought the van in the first place? He is just not charging you the VAT on your purchase.

OK,a quick update: found another dealer (probable not so "senior" like Ben ) and he said no problems, but i will need to give him an official documentation proving my IE vat number name and address (a letter from Revenue or page ROS onbline will do it) and a confirmation of the booking ferry,back to Ireland.

OK,a quick update: found another dealer (probable not so "senior" like Ben ) and he said no problems, but i will need to give him an official documentation proving my IE vat number name and address (a letter from Revenue or page ROS onbline will do it) and a confirmation of the booking ferry,back to Ireland.

That sounds more like it. I'd say he was trying to pull a fast 1. I think a dealer I bought a car off made a bit extra his side on the car I bought unknown to me. I bought a car for £8400. When I came home it showed 0 vat on the invoice. So I think the car was for sale for £7000 + 20% vat of £1400. So I go to buy the car, I still pay £8400, he puts 0 vat on invoice and pockets the £8400 where if he sold to somebody in the UK he would only pocket £7000. I wasn't VAT registered, it was a private sale. Can you come back and let us know how you get on regarding the process as I might be doing the same near the end of the year.

That sounds more like it. I'd say he was trying to pull a fast 1. I think a dealer I bought a car off made a bit extra his side on the car I bought unknown to me. I bought a car for £8400. When I came home it showed 0 vat on the invoice. So I think the car was for sale for £7000 + 20% vat of £1400. So I go to buy the car, I still pay £8400, he puts 0 vat on invoice and pockets the £8400 where if he sold to somebody in the UK he would only pocket £7000. I wasn't VAT registered, it was a private sale. Can you come back and let us know how you get on regarding the process as I might be doing the same near the end of the year.

Sent via email,letter from Revenue proving official business VAT in Ireland;
    Sent a link from H E R E,where he could validate my VAT,at his own safety;
    Sent copy of flight booking confirmed
    Not able to send a copy of ferries as not sure what time slot i will be able to catch on my return. BUT i guess he will ask me to send it over after

The seller is very kind,spoke with him on the phone,offered to pick-me from airport and also to schedule the car in a "pre-delivery inspection".

I'm going to run a "health" check later tonight,just to make sure i am satisfied myself and avoid any third pary errors.

My BIG question is how do i pay him with my VISA Debit card,will the card machine accepts the transaction !?

Good luck

Not able to send a copy of ferries as not sure what time slot i will be able to catch on my return. BUT i guess he will ask me to send it over after

The seller is very kind,spoke with him on the phone,offered to pick-me from airport and also to schedule the car in a "pre-delivery inspection".

I'm going to run a "health" check later tonight,just to make sure i am satisfied myself and avoid any third pary errors.

My BIG question is how do i pay him with my VISA Debit card,will the card machine accepts the transaction !?

Good luck

If you are Bank of Ireland there is no limit to transactions as long as money is in account. Don't think other bank offer the same. They might have a limit per transaction/day. Most places in the UK take debit cards for cars sales, also you get a better rate with your card than cash or draft. Google visa currency converter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,338 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you bought a second hand passenger car, chances are the uk dealer bought it off a private customer and had no VAT to recover on the purchase. Such cars are on the "margin scheme" meaning that he accounts for VAT on the gross profit on the car. It's one of the reasons why businesses need to be careful buying U.K. Vehicles, especially quasi commercial ones which might not have always been owned by a VATable customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

I Bought a Santa Fe from a dealer in the uk and paid VAT on the purchase - can I retrospectively claim that back? I have a registered company.

On the NCT website for VRT inspection it asks to bring receipt of purchase - suppose you overpaid in the UK will the VRT be less in that case or will it all way's remain the same regardless of what you paid?

On a note about flights - east midlands during the week is €19.98 return and is only a 45 minute flight.... Its pretty central and has good bus links to various city's. Took me 30 mins to get to Derby from the airport.

Delighted with my purchase - VRT inspection booked... might be less happy then, but I have a fair idea from their website....

Good luck

Visa Debit is the way to go - you will have a cross border handling fee however this is capped at €11.64.

If you lob it on your credit card and go to pay that way you will be hit with 1.5% of the cost of the transaction. so Visa debit is definitely the way to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anything to watch out with "Fast Fords" from the UK ? Accident history would probably be the biggy I guess giving the UKs hot hatch culture ?

Referring to an ST Fiesta 2.0 to be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redbullftw

Hey guys, just wanted to double check before I head over to UK to get a new car, is it still possible for the dealer to tax the car for you? Heard they can't anymore since the new road tax system? Has any1 drove the car back from the uk since it's been introduced? Any help would be appreciated

• Advertisement

redbullftw wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wanted to double check before I head over to UK to get a new car, is it still possible for the dealer to tax the car for you? Heard they can't anymore since the new road tax system? Has any1 drove the car back from the uk since it's been introduced? Any help would be appreciated

I drove from Derby to Holyhead on Monday - no tax on the car.
    Dealer wasn't too bothered as I was heading straight to the ferry. I took a chance on getting stopped by police I guess , but all fine.

Helo,

Car parked in the local Nissan Ireland garage...

Very nice exprience,the staff made the deal very easy and nice.Anyway,we speak same language..

No troubles with the payment,insert the VISA Debit in the card machine and ... approved came out.
    Got the full car documentation,as per above advices fom some of the guys,thanks for that !
    Droveback to Holyhead,booked the ferry online,fom the side of the road in less than 3 minutes.
    Back in Dublin same day,took me "one" hour to cross the Irish Sea and another one hour to cross the City centre traffic !

Didn't bother about UK road tax.Transferred Irish insurance on the UK number from the morning of the day,i have 30 days to bring Irish plates to insurance.

Re VAT, the seller said that legally he should have charged me the UK VAT but refund it on my card once i send proof that i am in Ireland and sent him ferry tickets copy. But,he trusted me and he was satisfied as i did lots of photos before sell agreed.

The car look and drive fine,possible better fitted than a Irish same type specs ?
    I am kind of upset with the mileage dashboard,i will see if i can change it to an KMs system later.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

redbullftw wrote: »

FWIW I was driving [and living] in the UK for months without my car being tax. It was an oversight on my part because the car I had a zero rate of tax (1.6 Diesel), and I assumed it would auto renew. I got a letter from the DVLA when it was spotted on a camera after a few months, but I was never stopped by the police. A quick phone call later and it was resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Is it possible to reserve a car for 24 hrs with car giant? I know this used to be possible for Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

****, Ive mine tomorrow and all I have is part of the V5C form. Any idea on how, where I proceed from here regarding getting the entire form?

Well I eventually got everything sorted and registered today! The V576 form took 3 weeks to get here. Exactly 2 weeks over the 30-day grace period the penalty was approx €260, not ideal, however still within budget.
    A big thanks to all who contribute to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Is it possible to reserve a car for 24 hrs with car giant? I know this used to be possible for Irish customers.
    You can book a test drive in advance, they reserve the car.
    Check the payment options, when I bought my car they wouldn't take an Irish Debit card, and they don't accept credit cards for car purchases (only for the gardx & other bits they try to sell as add-ons)

bbbbb wrote: »
    You can book a test drive in advance, they reserve the car.
    Check the payment options, when I bought my car they wouldn't take an Irish Debit card, and they don't accept credit cards for car purchases (only for the gardx & other bits they try to sell as add-ons)

Thanks. So what did you pay for the car by, bank draft?

I've read over the past 30 pages of this thread but just want to clear up a few things:

Is this the process ?

1. Find car online
    2. Pay deposit (subject to inspection) how much is deposit normally?
    3. Arrange inspection
    4. If all good, book flights over
    5. Pay ( this is the bit I'm struggling with. I've a tsb visa debit card, which I doubt will cover the 20,000 fee. How do people arrange payment on the spot for such a large amount?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

Folks

Just stumbled across this tread a few hours too late. Purchased a used vehicle this morning was only given part of the V5. The rest the dealer sent to the DVLA. Am i best booking a VRT appointment from 4 weeks from today. I take it from the posts here the NCTS will only accept the full V5 and not the new keepers bit with supporting documentation. Any advice is appreciated?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Has anyone brought a car back for someone else? How did you sort insurance if so? Did they insure the car and put you down as named driver?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement