Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Has anyone brought a car back for someone else? How did you sort insurance if so? Did they insure the car and put you down as named driver?

Just answered on your other thread. Normally you can just transfer your or the other persons insurance to the UK car for u to 30 days or however long the insurer stipulates. If your broker won't do it, you could be added as a named driver to the person you're importing it fors insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Pete123456 wrote:
    Just answered on your other thread. Normally you can just transfer your or the other persons insurance to the UK car for u to 30 days or however long the insurer stipulates. If your broker won't do it, you could be added as a named driver to the person you're importing it fors insurance.

Thanks very much for that. Appreciate it.

Incidentally, we paid a deposit with bank of Ireland visa debit card. The dealer said it's showing as a credit card when he puts it through which is a 2pc charge. Has anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Thanks. So what did you pay for the car by, bank draft?
    I used Transfermate. A draft might be quicker ( I had to wait a couple of hrs) but again I'd check which banks they accept

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that. Appreciate it.

Incidentally, we paid a deposit with bank of Ireland visa debit card. The dealer said it's showing as a credit card when he puts it through which is a 2pc charge. Has anyone come across this?

It is quite normal for them to charge a fee for a large credit card transaction. The credit card company charges them too for the privilege. See if you can negotiate the percentage with the dealer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

bazz26 wrote:
    It is quite normal for them to charge a fee for a large credit card transaction. The credit card company charges them too for the privilege. See if you can negotiate the percentage with the dealer though.

It's a debit card though?

• Advertisement

Maybe talk to your bank then if it's showing as a credit card transaction at the dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Is it possible to reserve a car for 24 hrs with car giant? I know this used to be possible for Irish customers.

Having visited cargiant while on holidays in London I don't think I'd reserve a car online with them before I seen it. Was watching an Audi for a week before I went over and when I got there it was in a bad state, lots of stone chips and dents etc. Now, there was lots of good cars there but I'd have a few cars in mind just incase but they are priced accordingly, often see 2 cars the same year/mileage, spec and different prices so I would presume the cheaper 1 is rougher than the more expensive 1

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Been offered an Audi A5 151year for 19 sterling from a mate who genuinely wants rid. He's done 800miles in a year and the parking spot is costing him 9k per year ( London lol!)
    It's 2.0 TDI. I don't have exact specs, think it's 177bhp. Dark navy with 8 spoke audi alloys.
    Mileage is 25k. Bought a year ago for 19 sterling. Asked about filters and he said he would honour absolutely anything wrong with the car. It also has a years Audi warranty or so.

It's auto cream leather no technik so no stereo buttons beside the gearstick (is that what you call that in an auto???)
    It seems like a rather basic A5 but he has it a year, says there's no vrt on it, so all in all, I'd have an A5 for about 23 to 24k euro.

Don't know if I'm being naive to think I could take it off him and sell it for 29 or 30k. Is that Walter Mitty thinking?

Been offered an Audi A5 151year for 19 sterling from a mate who genuinely wants rid. He's done 800miles in a year and the parking spot is costing him 9k per year ( London lol!)
    It's 2.0 TDI. I don't have exact specs, think it's 177bhp. Dark navy with 8 spoke audi alloys.
    Mileage is 25k. Bought a year ago for 19 sterling. Asked about filters and he said he would honour absolutely anything wrong with the car. It also has a years Audi warranty or so.

It's auto cream leather no technik so no stereo buttons beside the gearstick (is that what you call that in an auto???)
    It seems like a rather basic A5 but he has it a year, says there's no vrt on it, so all in all, I'd have an A5 for about 23 to 24k euro.

Don't know if I'm being naive to think I could take it off him and sell it for 29 or 30k. Is that Walter Mitty thinking?[/QUOTE

The cheap vrt is for people moving here permanently and would have to show prove that he has moved back to Ireland to be able to vrt it for €50 and he's not supposed to sell it for 1 year after vrting it. You could chance but not sure if your way will work.

Don't know if I'm being naive to think I could take it off him and sell it for 29 or 30k. Is that Walter Mitty thinking?

So he paid 19k for it a year ago and is letting it go to you for the same money now? So basically he wants his money back despite owning the car for a year. Well it doesn't work like that.

Here is a 15 reg higher spec one asking 17,500 from a dealer:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703062972476?radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&postcode=ll651dq&year-to=2015&fuel-type=Diesel&year-from=2015&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&model=A5&make=AUDI&page=1

He's some mate alright. And if you're an Irish resident and bringing it in from the UK then it is subject to VRT here. If he brings it back to Ireland and is exempt from VRT then he cannot sell the car for at least 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭chicorytip

bbbbb wrote:
    You can book a test drive in advance, they reserve the car. Check the payment options, when I bought my car they wouldn't take an Irish Debit card, and they don't accept credit cards for car purchases (only for the gardx & other bits they try to sell as add-ons)

Are you satisfied with the car you bought, was it as described on the website and how much more would you have paid for a similar car here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

bazz26 wrote: »
    So he paid 19k for it a year ago and is letting it go to you for the same money now? So basically he wants his money back despite owning the car for a year. Well it doesn't work like that.

Here is a 15 reg higher spec one asking 17,500 from a dealer:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703062972476?radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&postcode=ll651dq&year-to=2015&fuel-type=Diesel&year-from=2015&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&model=A5&make=AUDI&page=1

He's some mate alright. And if you're an Irish resident and bringing it in from the UK then it is subject to VRT here. If he brings it back to Ireland and is exempt from VRT then he cannot sell the car for at least 12 months.

Both he and I haven't thought it through overly. He would like what he paid for it. Parity for him. I theoretically wouldn't pay vrt. Profit for me. I don't think there is any malice in it. I did do a quick review and noticed the common price of them was about that but with higher spec. Was thinking too good to be true. I hope he makes a tidy profit himself off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

Will an Irish bank give you a car loan for a car you intend to buy from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Is the charge of VAT for importing a newer car whichever comes first between 6 months and 6k or does it have to be both? I.e. Would a 3 month old car with more than 6k only be liable to VRT?

Afaik if meets either criteria then it's considered new by Revenue.

Is the charge of VAT for importing a newer car whichever comes first between 6 months and 6k or does it have to be both? I.e. Would a 3 month old car with more than 6k only be liable to VRT?

99% sure its what ever comes first, 3 months old and 6500 miles or 7 months old and 3500 miles its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's under 6 months OR under 6K km.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Esel wrote: »
    It's under 6 months OR under 6K km.

6months at time of purchase but the 6k km is at time of registration so you could buy a low mileage car and just drive the mileage up prior to registration, you have 30days after the car enters the state to VRT so there is a window.
    I bought a 7month old car with 2,600kms in March and drove her up past the 6,000kms by VRT booking, no issue at VRT booking

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

masit wrote: »
    99% sure its what ever comes first, 3 months old and 6500 miles or 7 months old and 3500 miles its ok.

Its either- or- aka if its under 6 months- or if it has under 6k on the clock- either or- its treated as new. You don't get to decide which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone any idea what VRT would be on a Skoda Superb like this. Tried checking on the VRT calculator but the engine type doesn't seem right, the only option is 'TSI S 125PS 5DR'. Resulting VRT is quoted as 4,800euro! It seems very high to me considering CO2 emissions are 115g/km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Anyone can clarify this for me, I have had my vrt inspection and they didn't have it in their database so they got back to me a few days later saying they now had the price for it. Do I have to rebook a time slot or can I just call in and pay it?

When I try use the reg to make a new booking on their site it says "This vehicle already has a booking", but when I try manage the booking using the original booking ID it says "Booking Id provided is an old booking id. Another booking exists for this vehicle."

The document they gave me on the day of the inspection makes me think I just have to call in without an appointment.

http://imgur.com/a/liCjE

Edit: Does IMG tags not work anymore?

You just go back in and pay the amount, the NCTS have already inspected your car so no need to inspect it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Thanks you buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

Can anybody offer advice regarding late registration fee. I am waiting for a certificate of export from DVLA so i would say i will be registering it outside the 30 days. According to what i have found it appears to be VRT * 0.1% * days. My VRT is approx 1400 so would that be €1.40 per day. Doesn't seem too bad. anybody been hit with this and can offer advice thanks

Anyone any idea what VRT would be on a Skoda Superb like this. Tried checking on the VRT calculator but the engine type doesn't seem right, the only option is 'TSI S 125PS 5DR'. Resulting VRT is quoted as 4,800euro! It seems very high to me considering CO2 emissions are 115g/km.

Looks right- its less than 12 months old- and only has 13k miles on the clock.
    If you put similar specs in for a different model- you may get an even higher amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,338 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The model you have chosen has 157 g Co2/km, you need to adjust this to 115g to get the correct number. This will move the rate from 27% to 17%. The value per the V5C rules on this. Make sure you see the V5C.

If you have the exact code for it- it is in all probability present in the database (cognisant of the fact we don't tend to sell many 1.4 petol Superbs here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

If buying from a main dealer in the UK and pay booking deposit and get aa inspection done, would there be any discount available? Or would they know that if you've gone to the trouble of getting inspection done that the sale is already in the bag and not offer discount?
    What could you expect to get off a ?19,000 listed BMW 320 from a main dealer?
    Should I negotiate discount before getting inspection and leaving deposit ?
    Thanks

Don't expect much in the way of discount from UK dealers as their cars are priced much closer to their selling price than they would be here. I'm heading over with a colleague on Thursday to pick up a Ford Kuga and all he got was ?300 off the asking price and even that took some work. I cannot imagine a BMW dealer being anymore generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Both he and I haven't thought it through overly. He would like what he paid for it. Parity for him. I theoretically wouldn't pay vrt. Profit for me. I don't think there is any malice in it. I did do a quick review and noticed the common price of them was about that but with higher spec. Was thinking too good to be true. I hope he makes a tidy profit himself off it.

How do you think you won't be paying VRT? Your post reads as if you are resident in Ireland, you only get the exemption when moving home to Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement