Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

How long have you once you bring a vechicle into Ireland until you have to import it

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

Dupont wrote: »
    How long have you once you bring a vechicle into Ireland until you have to import it

You must make an appointment for inspection within 7 days of entry to Ireland. You may be able to register and pay on that day if Revenue don't want to review the case. If they do, Revenue will get back to you with price within 10 days. You return to VRT office and pay. The entire process must be completed with 30 days of the vehicle entering the country.

How do I go about putting a van through the test as I won't have the tax book as I will have to send away for the Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

LADS,how do you drive / get your head / eyes around the bigger mileage numbers on the speedometer ... I'm running around crazy trying to reach 100KMh ,wondering why everyone is driving so fcuking slow when actually was doing near 100MPh !??

Can i get the dash changed (i guess running in thousands) or a plastic cover converter that has the KMh only !??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Train your eyes and brain to ignore it. People drove with dual speedometers here for donkey years upto 12 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bazz26 wrote: »
    Train your eyes and brain to ignore it. People drove with dual speedometers here for donkey years upto 12 years ago.

Still do- most manufacturers selling into the UK market, still do dual odometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

rolion wrote: »
    I'm running around crazy trying to reach 100KMh ,wondering why everyone is driving so fcuking slow when actually was doing near 100MPh !??

Wtf!!

Just accept the car speedometer is in mph and 60 is your 100 and 30 is your 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

Maybe im posting in the wrong area but it concerns trying to buy a car in the uk,.
    On pistonheads website some sellers use this phonesafe thing to prevent scam callers etc, but i cant seem to call it from here in ireland,ive tried the usual +44 before it and taking out the first 0. Anyone any idea? Im interested in car and would prefer to talk to seller over the phone than email as its harder for them to lie if they need to when talking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Maybe im posting in the wrong area but it concerns trying to buy a car in the uk,.
    On pistonheads website some sellers use this phonesafe thing to prevent scam callers etc, but i cant seem to call it from here in ireland,ive tried the usual +44 before it and taking out the first 0. Anyone any idea? Im interested in car and would prefer to talk to seller over the phone than email as its harder for them to lie if they need to when talking
    Have you tried 0044.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

aujopimur wrote: »
    Have you tried 0044.

Got sorted after, thanks

On another note, any preferances on vehicle inspection companies? AA vs Rac, whos better or does anyone use other companies?

• Advertisement

I've seen this crowd get recommended a few times on here but don't have any personal experience of them. They are supposed to be cheaper than the AA and RAC too but not sure what their inspection is like in comparison to the other two.

https://www.dekra-expert.co.uk/vehicle.inspections

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

hi
    is there any way to appeal a vrt charge before buying the car ?
    am looking at a car in the uk for about 15,000 euro and vrt is coming in at 4,000 which is about 27% of the cost
    it says that is based on the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) but i cannot find any car which even comes close to that price for the same age and mileage ( its a 2015 car)
    the spec is a tiny bit higher than the irish ones as it ha one extra feature but surely this vrt charge seems excessive?

No, you pay the VRT amount first then you appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

bazz26 wrote: »
    No, you pay the VRT amount first then you appeal.

If you were going to buy privately in the U.K., what's the safest way to pay? Or what are the options?

Got my van brought it to vrt centre and now have Irish plates for it! I don't plan on putting it on the road for another few weeks so can I leave the testing and taxing of it to then so it won't be just siting there taxes etc and not being used or is there a time limit to get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Once it's on the system if you go to pay the tax in a months time or so you will still have to pay the previous tax from its registration date. Not sure about the NCT, I did mine around 25 days after I registered my car.

Once it's on the system if you go to pay the tax in a months time or so you will still have to pay the previous tax from its registration date. Not sure about the NCT, I did mine around 25 days after I registered my car.

Could I declare it off the road ?

Could I declare it off the road ?

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF150_en.pdf

If I'm reading this right I think it needs to be taxed before it can be declared off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

You have to tax it to get log book.The tax starts from the beginning of month its registered.The Nct starts from date of vrt.

mgn wrote: »
    You have to tax it to get log book.The tax starts from the beginning of month its registered.The Nct starts from date of vrt.

Don't I need the tax book to be able to doe it? Could I tax it starting in august

• Advertisement

Don't I need the tax book to be able to doe it? Could I tax it starting in august
    You log in and pay online, using the last 6 digits(I think) from your VIN number as the password. You'll get the logbook in a few days.

You have no choice but to tax it to get log book.Tax starts from month the vrt was done.

You have no choice but to tax it to get log book.Tax starts from month the vrt was done.

Ok thanks. The part on the rf100 form that says insurance particulars. I'm going to transfer insurance I have at the minute onto the new van so I guess I just give my details atm

Ok thanks. The part on the rf100 form that says insurance particulars. I'm going to transfer insurance I have at the minute onto the new van so I guess I just give my details atm

You can tax it online only need insurance policy number.Tax is out in 3-4 days log book day after.

You can tax it online only need insurance policy number.Tax is out in 3-4 days log book day after.

Can a commercial be done online aswell

You log in and pay online, using the last 6 digits(I think) from your VIN number as the password. You'll get the logbook in a few days.

I can't log in. It tells me my pin is incorrect. Would it take a couple of days to upload it onto the system. I brought through the van on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Hi
    How about importing a 4 year old car from Slovakia? My father is giving me car for my 21st birthday.

• Advertisement

I can't log in. It tells me my pin is incorrect. Would it take a couple of days to upload it onto the system. I brought through the van on Saturday
    I think it will show up tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement