Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

mikel97 wrote: »
    Hi
    How about importing a 4 year old car from Slovakia? My father is giving me car for my 21st birthday.
    No problem, you'll have to pay VRT on it, there will be a 10% reduction if it's LHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Dupont wrote: »
    I can't log in. It tells me my pin is incorrect. Would it take a couple of days to upload it onto the system. I brought through the van on Saturday

You have to DOE that before you can tax it. And it can be taxed the next working day, it says that on the end of your registration receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

michellie wrote: »
    You have to DOE that before you can tax it. And it can be taxed the next working day, it says that on the end of your registration receipt.

How do I go about getting the tax book for it ?

How do I go about getting the tax book for it ?

DOE it first, then tax it and your log book will be posted out a few days later.

michellie wrote: »
    DOE it first, then tax it and your log book will be posted out a few days later.

But don't I need to bring the taxbook with me when going for my doe?

• Advertisement

But don't I need to bring the taxbook with me when going for my doe?

No you don't, bring the vrt registration receipt you were given. Did they not tell you this where you registered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Hi I imported a uk ford galaxy from motor point back in 2009.Car was very low milage and like new condition.Had it RAC inspected and all OK and has been a great car.I'm hearing now that motor point won't sell to Irish residents .Also wondering what's peoples opinions or experiences of buying up in northern Ireland vs going to the uk.Have ye found similar prices and specs,mileage up north or will uk be better valve and worth the travel expenses and cost of inspection.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

ballybro wrote: »
    Hi I imported a uk ford galaxy from motor point back in 2009.Car was very low milage and like new condition.Had it RAC inspected and all OK and has been a great car.I'm hearing now that motor point won't sell to Irish residents .Also wondering what's peoples opinions or experiences of buying up in northern Ireland vs going to the uk.Have ye found similar prices and specs,mileage up north or will uk be better valve and worth the travel expenses and cost of inspection.Thanks.

I seen somewhere that they are back selling to Irish customers again. I emailed them about it but never heard anything back. I was buying a car in the UK last year and called into the Widnes branch on way home. All cars look good, low mileage and so on.

I looked up 2015 passat in the north v main land U.K. £3000 in the difference from a Northern main dealer to a UK main dealer. Better value in on the main land.

mgn wrote: »
    You can tax it online only need insurance policy number.Tax is out in 3-4 days log book day after.

Not allowed tax it online. It says for the first tax as a commercial I need other documents. I presume this is evidence of needing the van for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

need a bit of help clearing a few things up.
    From reading the thread it seems to be 
    1.Find car online
    2. Get inspection done
    3. Pending results, book flight and arrive at dealer.
    4. Pay with visa debit (this option seems to be best or even cash.)
    5.make sure I keep the V5 document for vrt purpose 
    6. Tax car for a month, or take the risk without, then book ferry home.
    7. Vrt car
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]will try to import a 2013 Black edition Audi A4.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]for some reason the vrt calculator wont let me select the 177BHP option.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]have people used this calculator before and arrive to vrt and got a completely different price. It seems to be like everything with this government they can just decide a random price.?[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the option on the vrt calculator was only 130BHP I think[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I presume it will be higher with a higher spec car.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks for your help and please delete if this has been covered.[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your looking at the wrong A4 model on the VRT calculator. Sounds like you selected 2.0 litre petrol instead of 2.0 TDi as there was no 130bhp 2.0 TDi. The old 2.0 litre petrol would have been 130bhp alright. 2.0 TDi in that model would have been 120bhp, 136bhp, 143bhp, 150bhp, 170bhp, 177bhp or 190bhp.

VRT calculator is a rough guide, it is not set in stone and potentially can be different to the figure you get when you present the car. Factory extras are also taken into account but should not be significant on a 2013 reg car as they are normally only factored in on cars upto 4 years old.

And check with both your bank and the seller that they are ok with payment via debit card. Either could have a daily limit on their transactions via debit card for security reasons.

Thanks I had the wrong one entered in the calculator.
    Ya I will check that. Is there any advantage paying with cash. Card seems alot safer.

Also is it as simple as drive onto ferry. Just have proof of purchase for customs?

Money laundering laws in the UK limit the amount of cash to something like 9k or 10k. A lot of dealers don't like taking in large sums of money either and get charged for lodging it. Not ideal carrying large amounts of sterling on your person through an airport and onto a plane either especially if you're stopped.

Ferry ticket receipt is sufficient for Revenue as proof of entry into the country. They may look for an invoice from the seller too. Make sure you get the entire V5 registration document from the seller too. Around UK motor tax, 1 month tax can either be paid at a post office, if you try to pay one month tax at the dealers you will need to pay it electronically via a UK bank account number. You cannot pay for a month's tax at the dealer via card as it's not an option for one month's tax. You can only pay motor tax for a min of 6 months by card at the dealers via online payment. Might not be a significant amount for 6 months if your stuck for time and you may be able to claim some of it back once exported.

Ya I get you with the cash. I have a uk account I might be able to use that. Will get stung transferring it through Irish banks tho.

Also is it recommended buy if main dealers or what's the story.

Main dealer would be less risky than a backstreet type dealer but you will pay more for that extra peace of mind. Any warranty you get from a UK main Audi dealer on a 2013 A4 will be dealer specific and not be transferable over here though unless its a UK Audi dealer network warranty that may be valid with a Northern Ireland Audi dealer but down south it's worth feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Apologies if this has been answered numerous times across the forum but wee question here.
    Husband heading over early Sat to pick up a UK car (hopefully). Dealer won't accept payment from Irish debit card, we don't have a UK bank account either.
    What's our best option for payment on the day?
    Do people transfer/pay before picking up a car?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

sideways83 wrote: »
    Ya I get you with the cash. I have a uk account I might be able to use that. Will get stung transferring it through Irish banks tho.

Also is it recommended buy if main dealers or what's the story.

Use a money transfer company like Transfermate or Currencyfair to transfer money from your Irish account to Uk account.You get a lot better sterling rate that way.

Use a money transfer company like Transfermate or Currencyfair to transfer money from your Irish account to Uk account.You get a lot better sterling rate that way.

Thank you-just off the phone from them and sounds good!

Thanks again!

You could also preload your credit card with the amount before you go over, just make sure your bank and dealer are ok with doing it that way. Note that the dealer might charge a credit card fee, usually 1.5 or 2% on the amount being paid by the card. Try and negotiate this with them and bring the last few hundred of the cost of the car in cash so that you might haggle them down. Doing a credit card transfer could be tricky on a Saturday though as there might not be anyway for the dealer to verify the money is in their account until Monday so they will not release the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Anyone used a car sourcing company or individual recently to bring in a car for them? any feedback/recommendations/comments

• Advertisement

yeah it looks like the fees are too high on the credit card and my husband has booked on the boat for Saturday afternoon so it would need to be with them on Saturday.
    It's stressful work this- I just hope it all works out! Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

Does anyone else have trouble finding the 1.6 DIESEL civic on the ros calculator? I can only select 2.2 litre diesel and nothing under that.

Put in 1.6i under model.That should bring up what you want.

Put in 1.6i under model.That should bring up what you want.
    It doesnt though, it only brings up petrol

Is it a 3 door or 5 door your putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Benildus wrote: »
    Anyone used a car sourcing company or individual recently to bring in a car for them? any feedback/recommendations/comments

I've used a crowd called m6 motors based in Ballinasloe Co Galway. They sourced a 3 year old A4 TDI for me. Alan the owner is a gent and very professional in the way that he runs his business. I have referred friends who have in turn purchased. It's an option for you.

Is it a 3 door or 5 door your putting in.
    3 door, but I think both dont work iirc

Did anyone ever use a UK address when buying a car in the UK. I think the garage can change ownership online nowadays and you get a new V5 in 5 working days and then they destroy the old V5 but instead of destroying the V5, give it to you so you can register it here. I know you put another owner on the log book but it would save a lot of hassle in the UK when buying. I've bought off main dealers before in the UK and the hassle I've had trying to convince them to give me the V5, between e-mailing insurance letters over and back and so on, this part is more stressful than going over and bringing home the car.

Also, if the car you are after is not on the vrt website, can you ring up revenue and would they be able to give you a price or do you just have to wait until appointment.

It seems to be less of an issue these days as UK dealers are more familiar these days with selling to Irish buyers.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    It seems to be less of an issue these days as UK dealers are more familiar these days with selling to Irish buyers.

Oh I know but its the handing over of the V5 that a lot of them are iffy about,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement