Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Tbh it's probably going to be less hassle to get them to give you the v5c than to organise a UK address etc for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

masit wrote: »
    Oh I know but its the handing over of the V5 that a lot of them are iffy about,

Not in my experience anyway. I went over and brought a car home with someone recently and the dealer had no problem handing over the V5. They were a large multibranch main dealer too. I know it can depend on the individual you are dealing with but you just need to make it known to them before hand and if they say they cannot then you look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,004 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How do people find the MPH speedometer? Is it possible to this changed?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How did people manage here before 2005? The mph/kph problem is only as big as people make it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    It is possible.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92185531

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Has anyone used sterling bank drafts to pay for a car in the UK? It seems like an option provided the seller can ring the bank/credit union to ensure that it is legitimate.

Also, I note that revenue now require proof of importation such as a ferry receipt. In the even you can't produce one of these, what happens then? What's the equivalent if you purchase a vehicle in the north?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Most manufacturers have used a dual odometer in the UK for years- at least the last 7-8 years in the case of Volkswagen (and its subsidiaries).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,004 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bazz26 wrote: »
    How did people manage here before 2005? The mph/kph problem is only as big as people make it imo.

In fairness that's 12 years ago, most people are familiar now with KPH.

I have a dual odometer but the KM are small and hard to read. I pass by gatso vans everyday and those lads will do you if you're only a few KM's over the limit.

If it wasn't a big job to change I'd certainly do it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

And it will just probably take a day or two to get familiar with the old system too. It's human nature to resist change though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Not in my experience anyway. I went over and brought a car home with someone recently and the dealer had no problem handing over the V5. They were a large multibranch main dealer too. I know it can depend on the individual you are dealing with but you just need to make it known to them before hand and if they say they cannot then you look elsewhere.

Anytime I've got a car they have handed over the V5 after a few phone calls from me and from dealer to their admin. I've rang about cars before and have not bought cars because of dealer not willing to had over V5. I rang an Audi dealer one time and they wouldn't sell to an Irish buyer.

It's funny when you ring first and sales mans days" oh yeah, I've sold lots of cars to Ireland" but when you get into more detail they haven't a clue about selling to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

Does anyone have any recommendations for a vehicle inspection company near London? I have found a car I like but I want to get it checked out before I commit to a deal. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mel94

Hi sorry if it's been answered before but does anyone know if I need to transfer the V5 into my name then send the export part back to the uk before I can take the car in for VRT payment?

Or can I do this on the old owners V5?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

mel94 wrote: »
    Hi sorry if it's been answered before but does anyone know if I need to transfer the V5 into my name then send the export part back to the uk before I can take the car in for VRT payment?

Or can I do this on the old owners V5?

Thanks

Makes no difference what name is on the V5,Just bring full V5 to Vrt center the take care of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭macco66

Failed to get the full V5 off the dealer, now he's sent it off to the DVLA. Does anyone have any experience of how long it's taken to have the new V5 log book sent out to their Irish address? Dealer seems to think it should be between 3 and 4 weeks, which will cut it fine for 30 day VRT examination period

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mel94

mgn wrote: »
    Makes no difference what name is on the V5,Just bring full V5 to Vrt center the take care of the rest.

Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭macco66

macco66 wrote: »
    Failed to get the full V5 off the dealer, now he's sent it off to the DVLA. Does anyone have any experience of how long it's taken to have the new V5 log book sent out to their Irish address? Dealer seems to think it should be between 3 and 4 weeks, which will cut it fine for 30 day VRT examination period

Thanks

Starting to think I'm gonna be in a world of hurt with this.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

could well be. We keep telling everyone....dont accept the car without the V5C

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

If it doesn't arrive in the time, book your vrt appointment, present the car and play dumb. If you leave it over the 30 days without showing up you will get penalised. Happened to me one time, dealer registered car in his name, V5 came back to him, he sent it to me and didn't put enough postage on envelope and was delayed. Lady in vrt office said i should have booked the appointment and presented car and would not have got a penalty.

I don't think rolling up to the VRT inspection without the V5 registration document is going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

If it doesn't arrive in the time, book your vrt appointment, present the car and play dumb. If you leave it over the 30 days without showing up you will get penalised. Happened to me one time, dealer registered car in his name, V5 came back to him, he sent it to me and didn't put enough postage on envelope and was delayed. Lady in vrt office said i should have booked the appointment and presented car and would not have got a penalty.

I think you still get hit for penalties up to the time the car is presented with all documentation, not to when it's presented first. Otherwise the 30 day window would be fairly pointless for them. Either way, hopefully it comes in time, and hopefully the lesson is learned without being too costly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Did anyone ever use a UK address when buying a car in the UK. I think the garage can change ownership online nowadays and you get a new V5 in 5 working days and then they destroy the old V5 but instead of destroying the V5, give it to you so you can register it here. I know you put another owner on the log book but it would save a lot of hassle in the UK when buying. I've bought off main dealers before in the UK and the hassle I've had trying to convince them to give me the V5, between e-mailing insurance letters over and back and so on, this part is more stressful than going over and bringing home the car.

I just got off the phone with a UK dealer who said they cannot and won't sell a car to a person who does not have a UK address for the purposes of the DVLA registration.

Any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Benildus wrote: »

I just got off the phone with a UK dealer who said they cannot and won't sell a car to a person who does not have a UK address for the purposes of the DVLA registration.

Any way around this?

Was it a Mercedes dealer? Merc UK dealers have form for this- check this thread and google for an Irish Times article on it.

useless wrote: »
    Was it a Mercedes dealer? Merc UK dealers have form for this- check this thread and google for an Irish Times article on it.

No, it was a Marshall garage - Marshall Jaguar actually

Any way around this?

More than likely they either don't know fully how the process of selling to a buyer who does not have a UK address or they have been instructed by the distributor not to sell to Irish residence as it may harm sales of the marque in Ireland.

Just buy somewhere else. Plenty dealers in the UK have no problem with selling to Irish buyers.

More than likely they either don't know fully how the process of selling to a buyer who does not have a UK address or they have been instructed by the distributor not to sell to Irish residence as it may harm sales of the marque in Ireland.

Just buy somewhere else. Plenty dealers in the UK have no problem with selling to Irish buyers.

That's actually what I did after and they had no issues with an export

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

I insisted on the full V5C before stepping onto the train and travelling to Belfast for the car. First thing they asked for at the VRT, seemed to be hoping that I did not have it.............

I insisted on the full V5C before stepping onto the train and travelling to Belfast for the car. First thing they asked for at the VRT, seemed to be hoping that I did not have it.............

Most definitely and make it clear to them that if you don't leave with the V5C then you won't be leaving with the car either.

Most definitely and make it clear to them that if you don't leave with the V5C then you won't be leaving with the car either.

Apart from the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of the form which they retain and send to the DVLA

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭2010RACHEL

Hi just wonderful the V5 if getting the car transported would the transporter need this to bring car in to Ireland ?

If not would it be fine for UK family to get it and post it would I need it in the mean time for anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Apart from the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of the form which they retain and send to the DVLA

Wrong! That's only used if the registered keeper exports it. It won't matter to NCTS but the UK side should not be using this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement