Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Marcusm wrote: »
    Wrong! That's only used if the registered keeper exports it. It won't matter to NCTS but the UK side should not be using this.

good man, thanks for clarifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

Hi lads, going over to cargiant tomorrow, what's the craic with the insurance for the way back? I wouldn't be covered with my current insurer if I bought something I don't think...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭artheb

oodles19 wrote: »
    Hi lads, going over to cargiant tomorrow, what's the craic with the insurance for the way back? I wouldn't be covered with my current insurer if I bought something I don't think...

You would be covered if you notified your current insurer and made temp cover on the English plates. I don't believe you would be able to organise it over the weekend.

artheb wrote: »
    You would be covered if you notified your current insurer and made temp cover on the English plates. I don't believe you would be able to organise it over the weekend.

I contacted my current insurer, and they said they couldn't cover me for a second car that was owned by me (which that car would be), and that it was different to "drive any car" which I have. Holy ****, I'm screwed if I can't organise something temporary tomorrow to cover me bringing the car back!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to take your other car off cover and add the new one on with the uk reg. otherwise take out a new policy with the new reg and then cancel it next week.

• Advertisement

I contacted my current insurer, and they said they couldn't cover me for a second car that was owned by me (which that car would be), and that it was different to "drive any car" which I have. Holy ****, I'm screwed if I can't organise something temporary tomorrow to cover me bringing the car back!

You would not have two cars insured. What you would is: you tell insurer that you want to make a temp cover for a car on the UK plates from specific date and time for fixed period of time. You current car would not be covered at that time. You need to know the exact plates of the UK car. I have done it with aviva.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You need to take your other car off cover and add the new one on with the uk reg. otherwise take out a new policy with the new reg and then cancel it next week.

Yeah, I was thinking that's what I could do, online, my insurer won't be contactable tomorrow if I decide to buy the car...

Yeah, I was thinking that's what I could do, online, my insurer won't be contactable tomorrow if I decide to buy the car...

Make sure they accept U.K plates online. Aviva does not, you need to call them during business hours.

artheb wrote: »
    Make sure they accept U.K plates online. Aviva does not, you need to call them during business hours.

Problem is, Sunday is outside business hours I'd reckon, Christ, I hope I can just get some temp cover online!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't get temp cover over in the UK anyway once your not a UK resident, any even if you could it would only cover you as far as the ferry port, UK temp insurance will not cover you over here.

I'd plan on staying in the UK overnight until you can contact your insurance company Monday morning. Don't even think about risking driving the car without insurance. ANPR cameras are everywhere in the UK.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    You won't get temp cover over in the UK anyway once your not a UK resident, any even if you could it would only cover you as far as the ferry port, UK temp insurance will not cover you over here.

I'd plan on staying in the UK overnight until you can contact your insurance company Monday morning. Don't even think about risking driving the car without insurance. ANPR cameras are everywhere in the UK.

Jesus, really? Not possible to get temp insurance from either an Irish or British company at all?? It's not possible for me to stay overnight in the UK, I have work Monday morning, can't believe this is going to stymy me, bloody hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

AIG did this to me, so I gave them 2 fingers and am closing my policy. Cannot advise what I did do but I was left with no choice. AIG would not do temporary cover, only a permanent change with €25 surcharge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

AIG did this to me, so I gave them 2 fingers and am closing my policy. Cannot advise what I did do but I was left with no choice. AIG would not do temporary cover, only a permanent change with €25 surcharge

odd, i was with aig when i imported a car and they issued a temporary cover for the uk reg. also allowed me the necessary time to get the irish reg sorted

this was in march 2017 though

j4vier wrote: »
    odd, i was with aig when i imported a car and they issued a temporary cover for the uk reg. also allowed me the necessary time to get the irish reg sorted

this was in march 2017 though

I thought that too, but was left with a lot of frustration and even had a conversation with a more senior person at the disbelief at the situation. He suggested a I get my wife to drive the car back.........as she did not own it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I thought that too, but was left with a lot of frustration and even had a conversation with a more senior person at the disbelief at the situation. He suggested a I get my wife to drive the car back.........as she did not own it

they did mention that i could not have two cars insured under my name but i told them that i was in process of selling the old one so don't know if they allowed me a temp cover for this reason

j4vier wrote: »
    they did mention that i could not have two cars insured under my name but i told them that i was in process of selling the old one so don't know if they allowed me a temp cover for this reason

That same situation did not work for me, permanent change only and whistle dicksy trying to sell old car. Anyway, am moving to Aviva where hopefully there will be less horsesh1**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Anyone had any issues bring copies/e-statements of utility bills to the NCT for the VRT

as per NCTS VRT FAQ:
    Documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address. The following documents will only be accepted: P60, Bank/Financial Institution Statement, Credit Card Statement, Utility bill (Electricity, Gas, TV Service Provider eg SKY/UPC, Landline phone bill and Mobile Telephone (Bill pay only))Please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months, e-statements will not be accepted.

I genuinely have no statements as all mine are online etc

Benildus wrote: »
    Anyone had any issues bring copies/e-statements of utility bills to the NCT for the VRT

as per NCTS VRT FAQ:

I genuinely have no statements as all mine are online etc

I gave them printed EIR bill as I don't have any paper bills anymore. They told me that it should be original but they accepted anyway. It is probably up to the person you are dealing with. If you print it on the colour printer it will be no different to the one sent by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭2010RACHEL

I requested a one off paper copy from Airtricity just took a couple of days don't know if this is option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lots of conflicting reports in different threads I read, but can someone confirm exactly what part of the v5 (or the whole thing) I should be taking back home with me when purchasing a car up north?

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

there's no conflict here, we've said it loads of tiomes, you need the whole V5 (but if the seller wants to leep the export bit, no harm done.

Isambard wrote: »
    there's no conflict here, we've said it loads of tiomes, you need the whole V5 (but if the seller wants to leep the export bit, no harm done.

thanks for that, some of the older threads mentioned sellers not willing to part with the whole document. maybe that was just misinformed sellers more than anything.

Just to advise, there are UK companies who provide temp car insurance cover for non UK residents, but you have to have a valid Irish passport number. I unfortunately did not, had to use an old UK address to buy temp cover at Cargiant (purely to have the car come up as covered on ANPR, nearly certain I wasn't covered, there's an explicit statement saying as much there) which cost around £20. Had no other option such as temp transfer of insurance as I was there in a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Just to advise, there are UK companies who provide temp car insurance cover for non UK residents, but you have to have a valid Irish passport number. I unfortunately did not, had to use an old UK address to buy temp cover at Cargiant (purely to have the car come up as covered on ANPR, nearly certain I wasn't covered, there's an explicit statement saying as much there) which cost around £20. Had no other option such as temp transfer of insurance as I was there in a Sunday

Do you have contact details of such a company or was it arranged through car giant?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of the big garages in the UK can arrange temporary insurance for buyers, some will charge you while others will offer it for free as part of the car buying process. However the problem is that these insurance policies may not actually cover you if your not a UK resident. Yes they may well accept a UK address when at the dealership when your driving off but if the **** hits the fan and your involved in an accident over there then that's the moment when you find out if you were actually covered or not. I wouldn't risk it.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    thanks for that, some of the older threads mentioned sellers not willing to part with the whole document. maybe that was just misinformed sellers more than anything.

i think the best advise is to tell the seller you will be expecting to come away with the full V5 and if they are sceptical tell them to checit out with th eDVLA

Negative_G wrote: »
    Do you have contact details of such a company or was it arranged through car giant?

The insurance that's offered with Cargiant (not really offered by them, but obviously in partnership with them or something in that regard) explicitly does not cover cars for export (i.e cars purchased by Irish people to bring home), due to the passport/weekend issue I was experiencing I'd no other option unfortunately, so I used an old UK address just to have the car come up as insured under my name. Two of the insurers in the following link will insure Irish drivers with just a valid passport number:

http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/short-term-car-insurance-uk-overseas-residents

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Has anyone any idea about importing a vehicle from the Isle of man?
    Pretty sure the IOM is VAT exempt but as it is outside of the EU i'm not sure what extra forms I might need for VRTing it?

i suspect you don't need forms at all in the first instance, just make your appointment at the NCT and they'll refer you to Customs for a VAT assessment.

• Advertisement

might be buying privately up north in next few days.

cars costing me £5250 sterling.
    rang ptsb and they order sterling in on Thursdays, for the following Wednesday! was hoping to go get the car tomorrow or Friday/Sat.

anyone else been in a similar situation? options?

bank draft or something, if they will accept? never had to do anything like this before.

thanks,

Rob

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement