Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I used them less than two weeks ago and put a full write-up just 2 pages back tis thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/176389/359#104413613

Can't thank you enough. Red eye flight to Gatwick, train ticket booked and drove home in my new Wagon and all heavily assisted by your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

statto25 wrote: »
    Use TransferMate. I used them very recently and its a very straightforward process. Give them a call and they will explain everything in full.
    Cheers, he's opting to pay onsite with his cards (combination of Debit & Credit). AIB rate today actually better than Transfermate.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of UK dealers charge a credit card handling fee so make sure you known that from them up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Whats the minimum time period you can tax a car for with the DVLA?
    I'm buying a car on Monday and driving from Portsmouth to Holyhead. It's too long a trip to be not stopped by the police with APNR.

Have access to UK bank account if that helps?

1 month if you have access to a UK bank account, if you are paying by card then you have to tax it online for a minimum of 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

bazz26 wrote: »
    1 month if you have access to a UK bank account, if you are paying by card then you have to tax it online for a minimum of 6 months.

That's by using direct debit using UK bank account?
    Then cancel it when back in Ireland.
    Thanks

ongarite wrote: »
    That's by using direct debit using UK bank account?
    Then cancel it when back in Ireland.
    Thanks

I think so. Didn't have a UK bank account so went with the 6 month card option. The dealer should be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MugMugs wrote: »
    Can't thank you enough. Red eye flight to Gatwick, train ticket booked and drove home in my new Wagon and all heavily assisted by your advice.

What did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 colinslade

Would it be absolutely suicidal move to

Find a car on cargiant or equivalent
    Have it fully checked by Aa or equivalent
    Have it transported home

All without seeing it???

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

colinslade wrote: »
    Would it be absolutely suicidal move to

Find a car on cargiant or equivalent
    Have it fully checked by Aa or equivalent
    Have it transported home

All without seeing it???

I think so. My wife and I were in London for a weekend. She went shopping and went out to cargiant. I had been watching a car for the week before hand, red A4. It was cheap enough but when I got there it was in a bad shape. Lots of stone chips on the bonnet and being red it really showed up, some marks and knocks around it too. There was lots of others like it . The more expensive one's are more money for a reason. Now, there is lots of good cars there but I'd like to see them first. After that I said if I every buy from cargiant, I would just fly over early and have a few cars picked from their website. At least with cargiant you will have lots of other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Does anyone know whether Brexit will have an affect on the importation of vehicles from the UK into Ireland regarding VAT added on by Irish customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

noone can know that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Does anyone know whether Brexit will have an affect on the importation of vehicles from the UK into Ireland regarding VAT added on by Irish customs?

I'd be more worried about changes in the coming budget than Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

I'd be more worried about changes in the coming budget than Brexit.
    Currently the VAT is waived on items arriving into Ireland from the EU by Irish customs.

Currently the VAT is waived on items arriving into Ireland from the EU by Irish customs.

I'm not saying that they will charge VAT but they may introduce an increase of VRT cost on certain car types.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm not saying that they will charge VAT but they may introduce an increase of VRT cost on certain car types.

The rumour is a special incentive to import hybrids-, time will tell...........

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The rumour is a special incentive to import hybrids-, time will tell...........

Do they to have one of those already?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do they to have one of those already?

No- apparently not. This is for second hand hybrids- not new cars.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

Sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone bought a U.K. car which was previously on Irish plates & re imported it? Did you have to pay vrt or just go back using old Irish registration?

It depends on whether it had a VRT rebate when it was exported to the UK. If it had a VRT rebate then you will be liable for VRT here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

bazz26 wrote: »
    It depends on whether it had a VRT rebate when it was exported to the UK. If it had a VRT rebate then you will be liable for VRT here again.

Thanks. It says on the cartell check "vrt refunded". Does that mean you've to pay all the vrt?

Yep. Good to see the car history reports are picking that up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Cailin1234 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone bought a U.K. car which was previously on Irish plates & re imported it? Did you have to pay vrt or just go back using old Irish registration?

This is possible to do, just be-aware, if it's being re-imported after the VRT was refunded, it will need a new reg number.
    I've done this with my own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Has anyone bought a car from the UK that was imported from Guernsey Island to the UK? I was looking at importing a Qashqai from the UK and found one at a good price with very low mileage. The reg shows first registration date as October 2017, even though it's a 2015 car, so that was a bit odd so I sent the garage a question and they said it's been imported from Guernsey Island.

This is the ad if anyone is interested; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710039913532?utm_source=Triggered_Emails&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email_a_Dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Has anyone bought a car from the UK that was imported from Guernsey Island to the UK? I was looking at importing a Qashqai from the UK and found one at a good price with very low mileage. The reg shows first registration date as October 2017, even though it's a 2015 car, so that was a bit odd so I sent the garage a question and they said it's been imported from Guernsey Island.

This is the ad if anyone is interested; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710039913532?utm_source=Triggered_Emails&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email_a_Dealer

No issues with the car originally being registered in Guernsey. The dealer does seem to have a couple of flags around them though and appear to do a trade in damaged repairables. It also has some value rentals or something like that sticker on the back of it. I would check very carefully if you. Also extremely low mileage for a 2.5 year old car, you would need to check its history in Guernsey I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

All in all wrote: »
    No issues with the car originally being registered in Guernsey. The dealer does seem to have a couple of flags around them though and appear to do a trade in damaged repairables. It also has some value rentals or something like that sticker on the back of it. I would check very carefully if you. Also extremely low mileage for a 2.5 year old car, you would need to check its history in Guernsey I reckon.

Ya it’s definitely raising red flags, very very low mileage and about £1500 cheaper than all similar cars.

Probably best to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

All in all wrote: »

They’re pretty amateur. If I were selling an ex rental car the first thing I’d do is remove the rental company stickers from the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What did you get?

14 Passat Estate. Bluemotion Technology.

Tidy and tight and cheap as chips.

Avensis consumed her own engine oil...... Wanna buy an Avensis? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dawid niedzwiadek

Hi.
    I need help/advice on following.
    I am looking to buy a car from Belfast (SERE Motors Belfast).Had anyone any experience with them? good/bad?
    it is first time i will buy in Northern Ireland, what do i need to do?
    how can i pay if there is 5k limit on visa debit and 12k on credit card (car cost 11500 GBP)
    what documentation do i need from seller? etc, etc,
    Thanks in advance for any info.

• Advertisement

Hi.
    I need help/advice on following.
    I am looking to buy a car from Belfast (SERE Motors Belfast).Had anyone any experience with them? good/bad?
    it is first time i will buy in Northern Ireland, what do i need to do?
    how can i pay if there is 5k limit on visa debit and 12k on credit card (car cost 11500 GBP)
    what documentation do i need from seller? etc, etc,
    Thanks in advance for any info.

All the answers to the above are located in this thread. Have a read through and see how you get on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement