Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

Hi,
    Bought a car in the UK yesterday, the dealer gave me a v5c/2 form with it. Told me he has dealt with Irish buyers before and this is all I needed. He kept the rest to sent to DVLA with the permanent export section. Is this correct?
    I also got a very official looking vehicle history confirmation certificate with all the information on it, including the CO2 rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

almee wrote: »
    Hi,
    Bought a car in the UK yesterday, the dealer gave me a v5c/2 form with it. Told me he has dealt with Irish buyers before and this is all I needed. He kept the rest to sent to DVLA with the permanent export section. Is this correct?
    I also got a very official looking vehicle history confirmation certificate with all the information on it, including the CO2 rating.
    That doesn't sound right at all. The only section the dealer should have sent off is the "Notification of Permanent Export" only, and give you the rest(some will give you the whole thing and send nothing off).

From the UK/DVLA site
    https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

If you’re taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export) you need to:

1.Tell DVLA before you leave by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).

2.Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund sent to your new address.

3.Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate - you might need this to register your vehicle abroad.

Part 3 is you.

Did the dealer supply this "official" looking document?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

Hi all, Planning on buying in UK for 2017 Passat Saloon 2.0L R-Line 150bhp (all bells and whistles)

My question is this, when I used the VRT calculator it quotes €5,693, once I bring car back to Ireland could the Revenue inspectors say there are extras that need get additional tax - sunroof, 19" alloy, heated seats etc...?

If I look at the VRT calculator it says:
    "The assessment relates only to a vehicle of the above description that is in good condition and is limited to Revenue mileage norms. Additional VRT may be payable if the vehicle is fitted with chargeable enhancements/accessories."

Really would like your opinion before I pull the trigger on this - THANKS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's likely on such a new car so plan for it.

Just to give you an idea of how much a similar car will be costing here:

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1838748&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D817%26nn%3D12%26yn%3D2017%26yx%3D2017%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I know there is dealer profit built into that asking price but it's still a good yardstick as a worst case what it will be costing you to land one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also, be aware of the need to pay VAT here if the car is less than 6 months old OR has less than 6000km. You can reclaim the UK VAT in this scenario.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Fair play guys, thats what I was looking for. So I've done the homework and the total (£Car price + € VRT + €Expenses) car seems to still work out with a better spec and less €2k-€3k if I were to purchase here.

Regarding the milage its 10k and 8 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Safest place to put this out for opinions:

Basically I looked at a new high spec supermini (I will not mention brand), test drove it, agreed a trade in price for the old 11 yr car of mine (€2,000 to €3,000) but PCP rate ranged 3.9 to 5.9% and worst still the colour I want (a standard grey metallic) cannot be sourced until possibly May 2018.

Same car is higher spec in the UK. My queries are:

1. has anyone here bought new in the UK, done the vat and vrt thing and found it worthwhile?
    2. I presume I need the UK dealer to not charge VAT as it will be an export and I pay the 23% plus vrt here?
    3. UK dealer (Northern Ireland) has 0% finance on this vehicle! I have a UK bank account but is there anyway to avail of this PCP rate?

Many thanks
    You might get the PCP deal, but when the finance copy see that the vehicle is exported, they will start calling. They do check the status of their cars with the DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Hi
    Bringing in 1st car from the UK.
    I have had car checked out & its fine, done car check and nothing outstanding.
    So i have booked ferry return & flight over.
    What have i to do when i get the car, previously someone said i get a v5c/2 form & the garage keeps 1 part.
    Have to book into NCT as well?
    Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Batesout wrote: »
    Hi
    Bringing in 1st car from the UK.
    I have had car checked out & its fine, done car check and nothing outstanding.
    So i have booked ferry return & flight over.
    What have i to do when i get the car, previously someone said i get a v5c/2 form & the garage keeps 1 part.
    Have to book into NCT as well?
    Anything else?

V5 Form - the dealer should give you a single double sided page. The front will contain the reg and registered owner. The other side will contain all vehicle details Including Co2. Be sure to leave with this and perhaps ask them to scan a copy to your email also for records as the NCTS will take it off you.

You should also make sure to have these:
    Invoice from garage
    Ferry reception

Make a booking for the NCTS before you go as there can be a bit of a wait in some centres. You can always rearrange but be sure to do it more than 5 working days in advance of they will charge you.

Depends on the centre but I found the whole process very simple. The website is very good. They have a checklist of items, bring all the items and have everything to hand and you'll be done in no time. I think all centres have the ability to print number plates on site. Costs €25 for a pair.

You book a VRT inspection with the NCT first. If the car is due a NCT then that is separate to the VRT inspection and cannot be done until the VRT is paid and your issued Irish reg plates. It can take upto a few days afterwards for the new Irish plate to be on the NCT database before you can book a NCT test.

• Advertisement

Negative_G wrote: »
    V5 Form - the dealer should give you a single double sided page. The front will contain the reg and registered owner. The other side will contain all vehicle details Including Co2. Be sure to leave with this and perhaps ask them to scan a copy to your email also for records as the NCTS will take it off you.

You should also make sure to have these:
    Invoice from garage
    Ferry reception

Make a booking for the NCTS before you go as there can be a bit of a wait in some centres. You can always rearrange but be sure to do it more than 5 working days in advance of they will charge you.

Depends on the centre but I found the whole process very simple. The website is very good. They have a checklist of items, bring all the items and have everything to hand and you'll be done in no time. I think all centres have the ability to print number plates on site. Costs €25 for a pair.

thanks for that just dont want to leave anything out.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You book a VRT inspection with the NCT first. If the car is due a NCT then that is separate to the VRT inspection and cannot be done until the VRT is paid and your issued Irish reg plates. It can take upto a few days afterwards for the new Irish plate to be on the NCT database before you can book a NCT test.

Thanks

Rang the dealer this morning, he is sending on the rest of the V5 to me. I was told at the time that they have sold cars to Ireland before and the V5C/2 is all I needed. Inspection is booked for 2 weeks time so I should have it by then.
    Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

allyano16 wrote: »
    Hi all, Planning on buying in UK for 2017 Passat Saloon 2.0L R-Line 150bhp (all bells and whistles)

My question is this, when I used the VRT calculator it quotes €5,693, once I bring car back to Ireland could the Revenue inspectors say there are extras that need get additional tax - sunroof, 19" alloy, heated seats etc...?

"The assessment relates only to a vehicle of the above description that is in good condition and is limited to Revenue mileage norms. Additional VRT may be payable if the vehicle is fitted with chargeable enhancements/accessories."

No, extras aren't assessed on Passats. Once you picked the correct stat code with the right make, model & co2 it should be the right price On the calculator. (Subject to change OMSP can go up or down)

michellie wrote: »

No, extras aren't assessed on Passats. Once you picked the correct stat code with the right make, model & co2 it should be the right price On the calculator. (Subject to change OMSP can go up or down)

Ok, thanks for the feedback michellie, thats what I originally thought. I presume its because Passats come as a package with low customisation and something like a BMW can be fully customized? Thats me making a total uneducated assumption but it sounds good :)

Ok, thanks for the feedback michellie, thats what I originally thought. I presume its because Passats come as a package with low customisation and something like a BMW can be fully customized? Thats me making a total uneducated assumption but it sounds good :)

Yea extras are only added on cars under 2 years old such as BMW, Merc, landrover, Jags, Porsche, Lamborghini etc etc you can see where I'm going with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wedger

Bought a Cat D car from dealer in North. Had all indirections done etc all good but was waiting for him to get V5 before competing sale. He contacted me and said V5 was in and I got relative of mine in Belfast to complete sale.

Thing is when car came down part 9 was missing. Think it’s part to notify of writing off of vehicle. Wondering if I will have problems with NCT with this bit missing?

wedger wrote: »
    Bought a Cat D car from dealer in North. Had all indirections done etc all good but was waiting for him to get V5 before competing sale. He contacted me and said V5 was in and I got relative of mine in Belfast to complete sale.

Thing is when car came down part 9 was missing. Think it’s part to notify of writing off of vehicle. Wondering if I will have problems with NCT with this bit missing?

No you won't have problems with that

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

If the car has a valid MOT, does it need to be Nct'd straight away or is the MOT sufficient until it expires?

Also, anyone know if the vrt is reassessed at a point in time, like at the end of the year? Just wondering if I wait to import until 1st Jan will the vrt be significantly cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

That doesn't sound right at all. The only section the dealer should have sent off is the "Notification of Permanent Export" only, and give you the rest(some will give you the whole thing and send nothing off).

From the UK/DVLA site
    https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

If you’re taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export) you need to:

1.Tell DVLA before you leave by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).

2.Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund sent to your new address.

3.Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate - you might need this to register your vehicle abroad.

Part 3 is you.

Did the dealer supply this "official" looking document?

as has been said many times, the export section of the V5C applies only if you are exporting a vehicle you already own (ie already in your name). If you are buying one for export the dealer should give you the entire V5C. If he wants to keep the export section, it won't make any difference, but it will bring you lots of grief if you don't get the main section of the V5C with the car.

• Advertisement

actuar90 wrote: »
    If the car has a valid MOT, does it need to be Nct'd straight away or is the MOT sufficient until it expires?

Also, anyone know if the vrt is reassessed at a point in time, like at the end of the year? Just wondering if I wait to import until 1st Jan will the vrt be significantly cheaper?

A MOT has no validity in Ireland the same way a NCT has no validity in the UK. If the car is 4 years or older at the time of being imported here then it will need to NCT'd straight away once it's on Irish plates.

VRT figures are assessed on a monthly basis afaik but there is no guarantee that the figure will magically come down on Jan 1st. They have been known to go up too.

Isambard wrote: »
    as has been said many times, the export section of the V5C applies only if you are exporting a vehicle you already own (ie already in your name). If you are buying one for export the dealer should give you the entire V5C. If he wants to keep the export section, it won't make any difference, but it will bring you lots of grief if you don't get the main section of the V5C with the car.

Have now got the V5C from the UK garage, its a single double sided page. Going up next week for the VRT assessment.
    It's an evening appointment.
    The bill is likely north of 5k for the VRT assessment.
    As I'm not sure of the exact value just wondering do I have to pay on the spot on the night or can I come back the next day with a bank draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You have 30 days from the date the car enters the state to pay. So you can come back and pay later on if it's within that time, I paid mine 3 weeks after my actual VRT assessment. Paid by visa debit.

Edit: Just make sure your insurance will cover the UK reg if you're leaving it for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is it worth going up to NI to buy a 2015 VW Golf?
    Why do people tend to go to the UK rather than NI?

Wider choice of cars and cheaper prices in the UK. You will pay for the convenience up North of not having to book flights and ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Wider choice of cars and cheaper prices in the UK. You will pay for the convenience up North of not having to book flights and ferries.
    possibly better specced cars too if you go to the affluent areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dk1989

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone who has bought a car in cargiant and had the car inspected by the AA/RAC or if it is a must when buying a car in the UK? Ive read through a couple of threads but haven't noticed many people getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I have a similar question. I'm looking at a Qashqai from a main dealer that will come as 'Manufacture Approved' with 12 month Nissan Europe Warranty that will apply here in Ireland. The car has the following:

This car is a Nissan CARED4 used vehicle. A Manufacturer Approved Nissan comes with:
    - Detailed checks for peace of mind
    - Minimum 12 months' warranty
    - 30-Day/1,000 mile exchange promise
    - You + Nissan CARE, the same package that comes with all our new cars

With all that in mind I'm wondering if I really need to do a full AA check.

What do you think?

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If I'm importing a car does the V5C have to be in my name? I assume not, and having it in the dealer's name who I bought it from is fine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

awec wrote: »
    If I'm importing a car does the V5C have to be in my name? I assume not, and having it in the dealer's name who I bought it from is fine?

Dealer's name is fine on V5C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement