Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can anyone recommend any good dealers in NI for Volkswagen cars?

Isaac Agnew in Belfast if you want to go main dealer. Had them do warranty work on a VW before and found their after sales way better than anything down here. They are on the Boucher Road like many other car dealers located there so are close to the M1 if your coming from the South.

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    Could someone help clear something up for me. I'm hoping to purchase/collect a car in N.I. tomorrow. Can I then wait until January to get the VRT inspection and make the payment? It says you have 30 days, and if that means working days, it would bring me up until 4th January.
    I believe the VRT would be reduced a bit by waiting until the new year? Or am I missing something?

It's not 30 working days, it's 30 days.

Your insurer will only cover you for 30 days on a UK reg, so if you buy the car today you will have to have Irish plates on it by the 20th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Thanks for clarifying the working days v all days.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Hi.
    How do I show proof of when vehicle was imported to Ireland if I buy it in N.Ireland?
    No invoice when buying privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

write one yourself, possibly buy some petrol for it in the north, garage will add the reg no if you ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Also regarding PPS proof.
    My payslips are digital. would they accept a printed payslip?

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

After I pay the VRT and get my new reg at what point can I ring my insurance? Will it show on their system the next working day, or do I need to ring straightaway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'd ring them straight away(or update it online) so they can issue your Insurance Disc with Irish reg number on it. No reason to wait, I did mine online the same day with Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Number_05

Hi, I'm half way through buying a car in Bristol, having it inspected by Dekra on Friday. Can anyone recommend a Transporter company to bring it back and how much would I be looking at?

I might also fly , ferry collect depending on time off.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Number_05 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm half way through buying a car in Bristol, having it inspected by Dekra on Friday. Can anyone recommend a Transporter company to bring it back and how much would I be looking at?

I might also fly , ferry collect depending on time off.
    Thanks[/quote

Fly & drive back,I just brought a Corsa back & really enjoyed bringing it back on the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Can anyone tell me what do I do if stopped by the Gardai in regards to a car under 4 years old brought in from England. The VRT center said it isn't due an NCT until April as its under 4 years old

I just don't want to be bloody pulling over to the side of the road at every check point for no NCT disk

Why would you be pulled over if your car isn't due it's first NCT yet? There is nothing illegal about that. VRT and NCT are too separate requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

The Gards may be a bit hazy on NCTs but I'd say one thing they do know is that a 3 yr old car doesn't need an NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

Hi, has anyone purchased a car from Rybrook motors in Warrington/Chester? I'm thinking of buying a Volvo v40 from them in the new year. How does the warranty work when you bring it back here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

If a garage in NI are offering to import the car for you how does that work? Do you buy it and then wait for them to do the paper work/ net centre stuff and then meet them after that or collect from them with the Irish plates on?

If they are providing that service then they should arrange the VRT appointment, put Irish plates on it and do the paperwork. When you go to pay for it and collect it then it should have Irish plates on it. They might need your PPSN, along with proof of address/utility bill for the VRT bit but you need to ask them that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone with recent experience with transfermate? Used them back in 2009, whats the transfer time like currently? Eg transfer by the deadline, does it take rest of day, or funds there soon afterward?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

It takes about an hour or so, but they generally won't commit to this when discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

copacetic wrote: »
    Anyone with recent experience with transfermate? Used them back in 2009, whats the transfer time like currently? Eg transfer by the deadline, does it take rest of day, or funds there soon afterward?

I didnt use transfermate. I used internet banking using their IBAN number

Kace wrote: »
    It takes about an hour or so, but they generally won't commit to this when discussing.

Thanks, yep it was as before, comes through not long after their deadline, don't seem to be able to push it through any earlier or later. I.e send after the deadline it doesn't go though until after the next days deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Quick Question. Would you advise to buy now or hold off until the new year. Looking at bringing in an A3 but willing to hold off if it will be cheaper in 2018.Any thoughts?

The UK reg does not go by calendar year, they change registrations in March and again in September so wait until March for prices to drop as the car will be considered a year older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

bazz26 wrote: »
    The UK reg does not go by calendar year, they change registrations in March and again in September so wait until March for prices to drop as the car will be considered a year older.

Reg changes, but age changes in January .

aujopimur wrote: »
    Reg changes, but age changes in January .

I know but from a buying perspective, the price of a Jan 16 car for example, will be cheaper to buy in March or April than buying the same car in January due to the registration plate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

bazz26 wrote: »
    I know but from a buying perspective, the price of a Jan 16 car for example, will be cheaper to buy in March or April than buying the same car in January due to the registration plate change.
    That's because it's older by March.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

aujopimur wrote: »
    That's because it's older by March.

No- its because they flog any pre-registered vehicles with a Jan/Feb registration before the changeover to the next registration period in March. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the age of the car- it is the fact that there is a new registration period starting in March........

The equivalent here iss akin to a 171 car being about 12% cheaper in June than a 172 car in July (the 12% is normally accounted for with a free comfort pack or a higher spec model than you'd otherwise get).

Its all to do with perception- nothing else. You get more bang for your buck at the end of a registration period- because there are a cohort of punters out there who imagine that having a 172 reg means that they have the latest and greatest vehicle- when in actual fact its the selfsame car that was for sale at a lower price a few weeks previous- only now it has a shiny 172 plate on it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Who are the prefered inspection crowed these days ? Intend on bringing something over within the next four weeks.

A 2009 Corsa SRi turbo has cought my eye but im threading carefully giving the type it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Filling in the NCT Declaration of Registration form, Sect. 10 relates to Eu type approval directives and has a box for M1 class, and non M1. The guide on the back gives 2 directives, are they just looking for me to fill in the Directive number in the box that relates to mine (non M1) ?

Vrt enquiry prices dropped by about 8% on car I’m vrting tomorow since Jan 1st. Still over estimating value so appeal still needed but good that it’s less outlay to begin with anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

copacetic wrote: »
    Vrt enquiry prices dropped by about 8% on car I’m vrting tomorow since Jan 1st. Still over estimating value so appeal still needed but good that it’s less outlay to begin with anyway.

Im quite happy with the drop on the 07 Fiesta ST. 400 quid in the difference between sunday and monday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement