Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

iognaid wrote: »
    Very helpful and interesting post.
    As a matter of interest how did you manage the 'Ooad Tax' licence issue, did they arrange it or did you just 'forget' it?
    Thanks.
    P.L.

I paid the tax on a kiosk they have onsite at cargiant. For the sake of 30 (if I remember right) I felt it would save hassle and possibly a missed ferry if stopped and delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I paid the tax on a kiosk they have onsite at cargiant. For the sake of 30 (if I remember right) I felt it would save hassle and possibly a missed ferry if stopped and delayed.

Good post about Cargiant. Is the kiosk for paying the tax? I was in Cargiant while in London for the weekend last year. If I was to buy there I'd do the same as you, have a few cars lined up. Not incase the one I wanted was sold, but some of the cars can be rough enough. I was keeping an eye on a few cars before I went over and when I got there you could see why the cheaper cars were priced that way. Now, there was good cars there to but I often see cars on Cargiant, same year, same spec but difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Do I need a coc form to bring with me to get the car vrt'd??

The car is 2015. I didn't get 1 from the dealer and I can't find out now where to get 1 and if I need 1 or not. Any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

dclifford wrote: »
    Put a deposit on car in Newcastle. Some questions.
    Is HPI check included in Dekra inspection or should i do these seperately?
    How soon is the dekra inspection completed after a booking?
    How long does it take to get funds from bank to transfermate? About £18500.
    If I pay UK road tax, its expired, do I do that or can the dealer do it for me?

Just trying to figure out when I should book the flight/ferry for.
    Should I wait until after the inspection before booking travel? Seems some people have booked the ferry after buying the car, I suppose I can wait til after the inspection.

Went through this last week.

Dekra notified me about the finance on the car before insecpection happened.
    I paid for the inspection on Friday and it was done on Tuesday.

Car dealer can tax the car online on the spot for you. I guess you can claim it back after notifying dvla about your intent to export car from UK.

I booked the flight before inspection but I was buying a approved car from a main dealer so risk was low. I didn't book the ferry as difference booking a week before or on the day was small. I was aiming for 17:15 ferry but it was sold out when I tried to book on the day of collecting the car.

I was actually lucky as car needed a sat nav map upgrade and I made it to holyhead around 7pm and took the 20:30 stenaline ferry at the end.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JonnyM wrote: »
    Do I need a coc form to bring with me to get the car vrt'd??

The car is 2015. I didn't get 1 from the dealer and I can't find out now where to get 1 and if I need 1 or not. Any help??

No that only applies to brand new cars. A 2015 car will have all the details about the car that the VRT folks need on it's V5c registration document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

bazz26 wrote: »
    No that only applies to brand new cars. A 2015 car will have all the details about the car that the VRT folks need on it's V5c registration document.

Ok I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭iognaid

I'm buying from a main dealer. Is charging £140 road tax. My question: what is the shortest period one can buy tax for?, the cheapest option.
    I'm told that there is a way to claim a refund for un necessary tax paid after arrival home. Is this true, and if so how to go about it?
    Are ther. Many of those Kiosks around?
    Thanks
    P.L.

Asked frequently throughout this thread.

The minimum you can tax the car for is 1 month but you will need a UK bank account as the DVLA is only allow you to tax it for a month via a direct debit. Otherwise if paying by credit/debit card you tax it for a minimum of 6 months. You can also pay it at a post office afaik but have no experience of doing it that way.

Procedure for claiming back unused tax once the car is exported is here:
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Getting nervous now. Heading to the airport in a few hours. Have my passport, boarding pass, drivers license, insurance docs. Car is paid. Check is done. Am I forgetting anything? Garage will tax car for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Getting nervous now. Heading to the airport in a few hours. Have my passport, boarding pass, drivers license, insurance docs. Car is paid. Check is done. Am I forgetting anything? Garage will tax car for a month.

Good luck. What did ye buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

BuzzFish wrote: »
    As I often get PMs looking for Bank Details from this post here ye go:

Account holder: CarGiant LTD
    Bank: NatWest
    IBAN: GB41NWBK54211822578072
    Swift/BIC: NWBKGB2L

Cargiant are fairly professional but not that cheap.
    I’ve got a couple ex lease from http://www.v12sportsandclassics.co.uk. Bought them out of Leicester and will be returning shortly again

Best of luck, safe trip

Cargiant are fairly professional but not that cheap.
    I’ve got a couple ex lease from http://www.v12sportsandclassics.co.uk. Bought them out of Leicester and will be returning shortly again

Wow, the type of car I'm looking at is coming in almost a couple of grand cheaper than car giant!

Do you use any other such garages around north London?

Wow, the type of car I'm looking at is coming in almost a couple of grand cheaper than car giant!

Do you use any other such garages around north London?
    Not bought anything in N London

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Good luck. What did ye buy?

and @anydouble

Thanks. It was a good day- but long.
    I went to Kent, as it suited from the point of view of flying into Gatwick. I bought a Toyota Auris estate Excel (which is the top spec for that range, that's changed now )- don't laugh- even the dealer said he was surprised to see someone travel so far for an Auris- but I wanted very specific spec, with a tight budget, and my friend lives close by so we had lunch which was lovely.
    It went smoothly. The dealer collected me from the airport and it was all sorted pretty quickly.

One slight niggle is he couldn't do the one month car tax, so I had to pay for the year- what is the situation with a refund please?

Foolishly, I rang Stena and changed to the later ferry (2.40 from 20.30) so I could stop and do a little shopping. The shopping was great but the last 100 miles was very torturous from a tiredness standpoint and quite stupid.

Got in home at 6 am and quick kip before back to work.

So far, I am very happy. The dealer - in particular the sales man, despite being a large franchise- was very personal and personable to deal with.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

copacetic wrote: »
    Got vrt done today, 2year 8 month old car, no charges for extras, charge exactly as per vrt printout I brought. Lower version from website, which has multiple versions. Very quick and very helpful also in advice on the appeal process and gave address attached to vrt receipt for sending in. Plates for 25 seem ok quality. Just come with double sided tape. Paid over 5k with boi visa debit no problem, citizens info site and revenue site says you can't but that's outdated information. They will take whatever your card will allow.

Edit - nice surprise was I got a lowish normal Reg number, didn't realise the 120xxxxx numbers were gone which was great, as they look very squashed in my opinion.

Got letter from revenue confirming a 20% vrt refund after appeal, which am happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Procedure for claiming back unused tax once the car is exported is here:
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund

I need to do this.

The website says “Tell DVLA before you leave by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).”

Obviously, I can’t tell them before I leave as I’m back in Ireland with the car (and my name is not on the V5C). Do I still just send that section to them with a cover letter or do I need to do something else?

No, when you VRT the car here and change it over to Irish plates, the folks in Shannon as part of the registration process will notify the DVLA that the car was permanently exported. The UK seller/dealler may also notify the DVLA at the time of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

No, when you VRT the car here and change it over to Irish plates, the folks in Shannon as part of the registration process will notify the DVLA that the car was permanently exported. The UK seller/dealler may also notify the DVLA at the time of sale.

Thanks. So I don’t need to send them anything? Apart from a letter looking for the refund I presume.

Yes, just follow the tax refund process.

• Advertisement

I called them. Send in a photocopy of v5c. Confirmation of tax payment. Letter explaining you've exported it and requesting refund. Takes 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Looking at a Isuzu D Max in Oliver Landpower Ltd near Watford does anyone have any experience of dealing with them?

Isn't the tax feck all compared to what it is here anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Looking at a vehicle in the UK and it is taxed will that do me to take it home or will the garage remove the tax disc

Isn't the tax feck all compared to what it is here anyway?

Yeah it's feck all but rather my pocket. Vrt is bad enough.

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Looking at a vehicle in the UK and it is taxed will that do me to take it home or will the garage remove the tax disc

Think it's ok. There's no discs anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MayoMagic

Bought from CarGiant yesterday very happy with the process and the car. I followed the guide from Buzzfish on this thread which was very helpful:
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/176389/359#104413613

I got to CarGiant at 10am and was not ready to leave until nearly 2pm, so keep in mind it can take awhile especially if you want to look at a couple of cars and take your time.
    At collection point, I mentioned I was rushing to make a ferry and they put me to the top of the queue.

I used Transfermate - excellent service highly recommend.
    When sending the funds to Transfermate, my bank have a 10k daily transfer limit (online) unless I added them as payee via post in advance (3-5 working days). I sent the funds over 2 days.

I did not Tax the car, wasn't at all worried about this tbh with proof of purchase and proof of same day ferry, drove from London to Holyhead for 8:30pm ferry with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

zetor 4911 wrote: »

No tax discs and new owner responsible for tax, not possible to buy an already taxed car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

All in all wrote: »
    No tax discs and new owner responsible for tax, not possible to buy an already taxed car.

This is correct.Any existing tax does not transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry in advance if this has been covered before but the thread is too long to go back over to check.

I was just wondering about VAT on imports from the UK post brexit.

We are assuming that once the UK is no longer part of the EU that VAT will be payable on imports from the UK.

However is it not true that cars bought in the UK before the final brexit deadline will be VAT paid in the EU and thus we won't have to pay VAT on them when importing even though the UK is no longer in the EU?

Just interested in hearing opinions on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement