Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

bazz26 wrote: »
    Go onto the Revenue VRT calculator and fill it out. Just remember that if the car is less than 6 months old or has less than 6000 km on the clock, Revenue consider it to be brand new and liable for VAT also.

What will the situation be next February when Brexit is in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Truckermal wrote: »

Please refer back to post 5822.
    The situation is unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Truckermal wrote: »

No idea Mal, I don't even think the politicians know what's going on at this stage. It's a right mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

masit wrote: »
    Just thinking. The car I was looking at was registered on the 27/09/17, under the 6 months. Now, if I was to register the car to my uncle in the UK and then say I bought it privately when its over the 6 months, would you think this would work? Regarding an invoice, I'd have to make one up myself plus ferry ticket.
    Yes it would but you'd have to leave it in the UK until you "buy" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Isambard wrote: »
    Yes it would but you'd have to leave it in the UK until you "buy" it.

If I brought the car in now and then when I'm going to VRT it, buy a ferry ticket and just not use it, only buy the ticket for the use of VRT. Dont want to miss out on a car that I'm looking at.

• Advertisement

But won't the invoice from the dealer have the actual purchase date on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

In theory all tax is "self declaration" so you may try spoof it but if you get caught they come down on your like a hammer.

I did think same as there were Aug and Sept A6's available - one had 250 miles! But that would not have been a runner from either a date or mileage perspective and would have been picked up as a new car.

The tax law's are a balls but unfortunately very little way around them. I would not try spoof paperwork etc cause if you get caught then you are stuck with a big VAT bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭dubguy45

Just a word of warning to possibly help anybody making the mistake I made. I employed an Irish car transporter to bring my car from the UK who quoted me a two day turnaround. I received the car ten days after he picked it up and found he had driven my car 850 miles in the ten days and had given me false excuses as to why he could not deliver. Small damage to the front of the car also.
    Please be careful who you get to transport your car and do proper checks on the person. I wish I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

dubguy45 wrote: »
    Just a word of warning to possibly help anybody making the mistake I made. I employed an Irish car transporter to bring my car from the UK who quoted me a two day turnaround. I received the car ten days after he picked it up and found he had driven my car 850 miles in the ten days and had given me false excuses as to why he could not deliver. Small damage to the front of the car also.
    Please be careful who you get to transport your car and do proper checks on the person. I wish I had.

It would be useful to give a hint of/name the particular transporter in this thread unless it is an ongoing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭dubguy45

If details are needed by anyone, please PM me, or avoid offers on Done Deal.

• Advertisement

But won't the invoice from the dealer have the actual purchase date on it?

I was thinking of registering it in my uncles name and then "buy it private" off him. Going to leave in for a while now. Not worth it. There will be lots of A6's in a months time,which will bring it under the 6 months, maybe even the ones I'm looking at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

masit wrote: »
    I was thinking of registering it in my uncles name and then "buy it private" of him. Going to leave in for a while now. Not worth it. There will be lots of A6's in a months time,which will bring it under the 6 months, maybe even the ones I'm looking at now.
    Why would there be a lot of A6's in a months time

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Why would there be a lot of A6's in a months time

The ones I'm looking at now are under 6 months old which I'd have to pay VAT along with VRT. In a months time IF the same cars were still for sale, they would be over 6 months old. There will always be lots of A6's for sale, anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you are charged VAT here, you are entitled to a refund of the previously paid UK VAT.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    If you are charged VAT here, you are entitled to a refund of the previously paid UK VAT.

First of all I'd have to buy the car in the UK. Then VRT and then the VAT which would be up on €6500. I know I could claim back the UK VAT in time but it's €6500 I don't have, plus by my calculations its about €850 cheaper by just waiting for a month or finding the right car.

Oh, and does the car not have to be "VAT qualifying"?

We're talking about a car that is less than 6 months old (or has less than 6000km on the clock - car could be 20 years old!).

Not up on the 'VAT qualifying' aspect tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Is it possible to call a nct center ask for an earlier VRT appointment(cancellation, weather, etc) than booked ?

EDIT: After shoveling for 40 mins in the morning, I made it to northpoint today. It was pretty easy. Handed over p60, driving license, receipt from dealer and ferry ticket. She called me 10 mins later to pay and gave me the paper work for taxing the car, etc.

They charged me extra 60 euro(it was reflected to VRT calculator after my last chek) and 23 Euro cancellation fee due rescheduling from Thursday. Lady told me to appeal to get it back but I am not sure I have energy to chase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I have the opportunity thanks to a friend in the UK who does a lot of UK to Ireland sales to import a car with a view to selling it on.

I am not looking to make mad money out of it but I was wondering if I had a budget of around 20,000 euro incl. VRT, would there be much money to be made?

It is a tad on the lower end of things, but I could always work my way to up something bigger.

The idea is to pay off the car loan I got for my current car, which was imported and would be sold to get the money to buy another.

Are there particular models which sell well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You'll find it difficult to sell a €20,000 car privately.

bbk wrote: »
    I have the opportunity thanks to a friend in the UK who does a lot of UK to Ireland sales to import a car with a view to selling it on.

I am not looking to make mad money out of it but I was wondering if I had a budget of around 20,000 euro incl. VRT, would there be much money to be made?

It is a tad on the lower end of things, but I could always work my way to up something bigger.

The idea is to pay off the car loan I got for my current car, which was imported and would be sold to get the money to buy another.

Are there particular models which sell well?

With every garage doing finance nowadays it would be very hard to sell a €20,000 car. Its the 3,4,5000 euro cars that will sell quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Any opinions on buying privately? Is it just not worth the hassle and would the seller probably just perfer to sell locally.

I'm in the market for a Lexus IS300H, found one in my budget, lowish mileage, white and luxury spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

rob316 wrote: »
    Any opinions on buying privately? Is it just not worth the hassle and would the seller probably just perfer to sell locally.

I'm in the market for a Lexus IS300H, found one in my budget, lowish mileage, white and luxury spec.

You wont get a warranty but if ye get Dekra or the RAC to check it out first it should give ye a bit of an idea. You'll also probably be able to haggle on the price.

Unless it's the manufacturer's warranty then a UK dealer warranty on a Lexus ain't much good to you over here either so no real advantage in that respect.

With a private seller over there I'd imagine 8 or 9 out of 10 won't know how to approach selling to a foreign buyer and will just not want to risk it being a scam or an attempt at stealing the car. They also may not be too clued up on the process of selling to an Irish resident. You could have some job convincing them that they give you the V5c logbook with the car.

Unless it's the manufacturer's warranty then a UK dealer warranty on a Lexus ain't much good to you over here either so no real advantage in that respect.

With a private seller over there I'd imagine 8 or 9 out of 10 won't know how to approach selling to a foreign buyer and will just not want to risk it being a scam or an attempt at stealing the car. They also may not be too clued up on the process of selling to an Irish resident. You could have some job convincing them that they give you the V5c logbook with the car.

Just give them the DVLA link?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I've bought privately in the UK but all were cars outside of the manufacturers warranty period. I didn't see any point buying from a dealer and paying a premium for their own warranty that was going to be of no use to me. As mentioned above the main thing is to educate the seller as to the process and sending them the DVLA link helps.

The other complication is that with a dealer you can at least have some understanding of their reputation and reliability whereas dealing with a private seller you have to go with your gut ans get a feel for the person and the car based on your conversation with them. Sometimes getting the car inspected can be trickier as you are reliant on co-operation from the seller and the car is not sitting like in a dealer easily ready to inspect at any time. So there is some more leg work involved with private sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Planning on importing a vehicle from the UK
    When I bring it home and while waiting for the appointment for the vrt can I drive it here without road tax?

Yes as you cannot tax a car here that's not on Irish plates yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Hi just wondering with the VRT for the proof of address would they be able to tell if you printed off an estatement? From the looks of it looks near identical to the actual statement?

Don't have any utility bills in my name have ordered a duplicate statement to be delivered by post but just in case it doesn't come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brdlry

Hi all,

**Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but i couldn't see this question if already asked.** Just looking for some advice if possible!!

I'm thinking of buying a 2017 Audi Q2 in the UK - mainly due to spec and availability of the car compared to the stock in Ireland. Way higher spec for price than in Ireland for what i'm looking for.

I've been in talks with two different Audi dealership, one in the north of England, and one down in the South East run by different car group companies. Both companies that run these dealership have policies that they do not sell cars to the ROI. If i want to buy the car from them, i need to give a UK address for myself and they will then sell the car to me.

So i will then be importing the car into Ireland stating that i have this UK address aswell.

Has anyone come across this policy before and bought the car and imported it into Ireland? Anyone know of any repercussions to this from the revenue here?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

brdlry wrote: »
    Hi all,

**Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but i couldn't see this question if already asked.** Just looking for some advice if possible!!

I'm thinking of buying a 2017 Audi Q2 in the UK - mainly due to spec and availability of the car compared to the stock in Ireland. Way higher spec for price than in Ireland for what i'm looking for.

I've been in talks with two different Audi dealership, one in the north of England, and one down in the South East run by different car group companies. Both companies that run these dealership have policies that they do not sell cars to the ROI. If i want to buy the car from them, i need to give a UK address for myself and they will then sell the car to me.

So i will then be importing the car into Ireland stating that i have this UK address aswell.

Has anyone come across this policy before and bought the car and imported it into Ireland? Anyone know of any repercussions to this from the revenue here?

Thanks

Yes, I had similar experience from Motorline group UK, they have nissan and Hyundai franchises. When enquired about buying 2017 nissan leaf, they said they can only sell to somebody with UK address, & that's their company policy! Finally kept my cousin's Belfast address, got the new v5c send to their address.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement