Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

Just wanted to say thank you to all who post on here. Your advice and knowledge made buying our car from the UK a piece of cake.

Our experience went something like this -

We have been looking for a Ford Grand C-max for ages. Loads of them in the UK with massive spec compared to over here and much cheaper.

I have family in the UK which makes it much easier and they had been searching in local garages to them . In the end I found the perfect one for us. Colour, spec 7 months old and just over the 6000 miles in Evans Halshaw who have a huge dealership network. They have an option to move a car from any of there dealers to one close to you for a £200 deposit. As long as you go and view the car this is refundable if you dont want it.

Had it moved to a Evans Halshaw near where my brother lives. He went and test drove it for me. I had an RAC inspection done on it and the £200 i had already paid to have the car moved closer became the deposit on the car.

The car is an ex Ford managers car. Apparently they change cars every 6 months and they are sold on through dealers. It is absolutely crammed with options and tech and in superb condition.

Like others have said there was no haggling. The price advertised was simply the price. They agreed to a tank of fuel as a good will gesture which was fair enough.

Transfered the balance through BOI in the end as the savings were marginal compared to other options and we also have a BOI branch in our building at work so convenience won out.

Flew out on a Saturday morning and signed for and picked up the car with no problems at all.
    The garage handed over the full v5 and to be honest were full of questions about how much i was saving by buying from them compared to Ireland. They just couldnt believe it and even had a look on a couple of websites to compare. Had a coffee at the dealers whilst they went through everything and they then showed me everything on the car and how it worked. Cant fault the sales guys. Really were on the ball. Car had a full tank of fuel as promised.

Boat home the following day.

VRT apointment booked before i went so 3 days after landing in Dublin we were at the nct centre. They had it checked and paperwork done in about 30 mins. Typical that the model and engine werent in the system so had to wait 6 days for a VRT amount from revenue.

This turns out to be the only issue i have had. The VRT amount they insisted I pay is higher than the exact same car with the bigger engine that costs more to buy new than mine. I have now had to appeal the amount after paying up so fingers crossed they refund me a few euros.

New plates bought and fitted. Road taxed paid. One very happy new car owner.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences it really did help. I can now do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well wear with the car, sounds like you got a gem! Were you long waiting around for them to check everything?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Well wear with the car, sounds like you got a gem! Were you long waiting around for them to check everything?

Thanks. Its been a great car so far.

As for waiting. The dealer took about 45 mins. Just to makesure the funds were in the correct acount. A bit of paperwork and away.

The vrt check was about 30 - 40 mins. Dont know what they checked as i had to wait in the waiting room and it was dark and lashing rain. Another guy in the queue before me and another waiting until i had finished with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hi all - I've a few questions, am thinking about going to a Charles Hurst dealer in Belfast for a car and have never done the UK thing before!

1) If buying from a UK franchise dealer, is it still worth getting a Dekra inspection done, particularly if the car still has a year or two of manufacturer warranty left?
    2) If we like the car, can we drive home with it same day?
    3) Looking at this particular car (and others like it): https://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/peugeot/used-cars/7954596-peugeot-2008-1.2-pure-tech-active-5dr/ - should we be concerned that when checking online it has been declared off road for tax purposes and there are no MOT details available?
    4) Is really low mileage a big warning sign?

Thanks for any replies/thoughts!
    Just a quick update on the above questions - talking to the salesman at Charles Hurst and he said they provide a HPI with the vehicle 'similar to a Dekra report'. Is a HPI provided by the garage OK as a replacement for a Dekra inspection, or would I be foolish to think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

How long did the transfer with BOI take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd ask them what does their HPI entail? My understanding is that it's similar to a motorcheck report rather than a vehicle inspection.

At the end of the day it's a big chunk of money to spend so it's really up to you whether you want to spend money on an inspection. Unless you plan to get a warranty from the dealer and are prepared to drive back to them with the car then your really going to need to get the car independently inspected imo.

bonkers67 wrote: »
    How long did the transfer with BOI take?

The BOI transfer was completed overnight. 3pm Thursday and they had it by 10am. the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

Going over to the UK next week to pick up a car I've left a deposit on. Just a quick question with regards to insuring it to drive it home. I have a policy on my current car, so is it best to transfer the policy from my current car onto the one I'm buying, driving it home and then transferring the policy back to my current car until I sell it? Or should I opt for a temporary insurance policy?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

ra0044 wrote: »
    Thanks. Its been a great car so far.

As for waiting. The dealer took about 45 mins. Just to makesure the funds were in the correct acount. A bit of paperwork and away.

The vrt check was about 30 - 40 mins. Dont know what they checked as i had to wait in the waiting room and it was dark and lashing rain. Another guy in the queue before me and another waiting until i had finished with them.

Congrats on purchase...can you tell us if you taxed the car in the UK before driving home? Thanks.

You cannot take out temporary insurance here. You will have to transfer your existing policy over to the UK car which will leave your existing car uninsured. They will not insure you on both cars at the same time under the same policy.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Has anybody bought a car in UK which was over six months old but had less than 6000 kms on the clock at time of purchase but had over 6000 kms by the time it went for VRT? Did it cause any issue with Revenue? How did you approach dealing with the issue? Thanks.

If the mileage at the time of sale is below 6000 km and listed on the purchase invoice you could have an issue depending on the person you are dealing with in the VRT office. If it's not on the purchase invoice then you should be fine once it's greater than 6000 km when it's inspected.

Bif wrote: »
    Congrats on purchase...can you tell us if you taxed the car in the UK before driving home? Thanks.

I had forgotten about the tax. The dealer insisted on me taxing it for i think 6 months. I will have to claim that back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi,
    Has anybody bought a car in UK which was over six months old but had less than 6000 kms on the clock at time of purchase but had over 6000 kms by the time it went for VRT? Did it cause any issue with Revenue? How did you approach dealing with the issue? Thanks.

Hi
    I imported a car in January, it was just over 6 months old with 5000 odd on the clock, I put up over a1000 kms before my VRT appointment so it wasn’t an issue.
    I’ve mates who have done the same in the last year or so and none of them had an issue either
    Good luck with your purchase!

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi,
    Yes. My car was a year old but only 5000km on it when I bought it.

I booked the VRT 6 days after I brought it into Ireland (you have 7 days to make a booking), and booked it for as far in advance as possible (was 2 or 3 weeks). Put 1100km on it in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

VRT Query

I think I checked this before, but doesn't the VRT go down as the car ages per month?

I'm buying a car in Scotland on March 29th. Should I try to convince the dealer to make the date of sale on receipt April 1, to save a small few quid on the VRT?

Then book VRT for 4 weeks time by which time I'll have added 1000 miles to the clock - will that reduce the VRT slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

cojobt wrote: »
    VRT Query

I think I checked this before, but doesn't the VRT go down as the car ages per month?

I'm buying a car in Scotland on March 29th. Should I try to convince the dealer to make the date of sale on receipt April 1, to save a small few quid on the VRT?

Then book VRT for 4 weeks time by which time I'll have added 1000 miles to the clock - will that reduce the VRT slightly?

I thought they took the value on the date of the VRT appointment, not the date of the sale of the vehicle. My date of sale was 30th Jan, the VRT went down in february, my VRT appointment was mid Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

cojobt wrote: »
    VRT Query

No I have not seen them adjusted monthly, yearly at best.

Then you need to book it for 4 weeks from when the car has arrived in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You need to book the VRT appointment within 7 days of the car entering the state. You have 30 days from the day it enters to pay the VRT. If you bring the car on Irish soil on the 1st April you need to have it VRT assessed by no later than the 8th April.

They also look for the ferry ticket which will have the date the car came in.

• Advertisement

You need to book the VRT appointment within 7 days of the car entering the state. You have 30 days from the day it enters to pay the VRT. If you bring the car on Irish soil on the 1st April you need to have it VRT assessed by no later than the 8th April.
    It needs to be assesed/paid within 30 days, not 7?

No I have not seen them adjusted monthly, yearly at best.

Then you need to book it for 4 weeks from when the car has arrived in the country

The VRT on the car I eventually bought, went down twice. Once in January and again in February (from the cost I viewed in December). It's based on market value, so it makes sense they adjust this monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I could be mistaken if it needs to be presented for assessment within the 7 days as it was a year ago I done mine but I was near sure they need to see it within 7 days(open to correction), but the appointment to have it done needs to made within 7 days for sure.

Deposit now put on car near Wolverhampton!! Any summary / tips on hiring a company to check the car (buying from a main dealer) travel (planning flight out /ferry home) and the best method of payment to protect myself and minimise cost? Thanks.

I could be mistaken if it needs to be presented for assessment within the 7 days as it was a year ago I done mine but I was near sure they need to see it within 7 days(open to correction), but the appointment to have it done needs to made within 7 days for sure.

I don't think it's 7, doesn't seem like a reasonable amount of time. Insurance companies give you 30 days from purchase/transfer of insurance, so id guess that's in line with how long you have to get the vrt process completed.

You have 7 days to book a VRT appointment from date of entry into the country, you have 30 days to pay the VRT and put the car on Irish plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

bazz26 wrote: »
    You have 7 days to book a VRT appointment from date of entry into the country, you have 30 days to pay the VRT and put the car on Irish plates.

What s/he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Just to add to the conversations on VRT.. I bought in UK on Mar 8th, booked a VRT inspection following Tues 13th and 2 weeks later I am still waiting for a figure!

The nice lady in VRT said that the "Fancier cars" like Audi's and BMW's take longer..

Its a joke TBH that 2 weeks later they cannot have a figure. They insisted 10 working days max.. which was today and I still have not heard back.

Anyone had to wait this long and can I expect a bad sting in the tail whilst they try work our every extra cent they can get me for!

I tried to do all by the book and get it booked in promptly and now still waiting. Meanwhile my insurance company are saying my policy will be cancelled soon if I don't have Irish plates on it.

That can be standard enough with premium cars that are not on the VRT system. They have to send the details off to Revenue who will come back with a figure. It's not the NCT centre's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

bazz26 wrote: »
    That can be standard enough with premium cars that are not on the VRT system. They have to send the details off to Revenue who will come back with a figure. It's not the NCT centre's fault.

Since realised that my car is on their system... and she had it on my declaration form too. This makes me worried that are going to screw me on the extras, even though many of those extras are bundled in as part of promotions on the Irish price list. Will wait and see.. Might need to be thinking about an appeal if they screw me over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement