Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That garage wouldn't be known for having good after sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bazz26 wrote: »
    That garage wouldn't be known for having good after sales.

I don't think their pre sales service is any better. I wouldn't be going near them or that bermuda triangle of dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I posted earlier about importing a car that is a gift. Thought it may help someone else to know how it went.

Car arrived last week and as I knew registration in advance, she was booked in with vrt office the next day. Went to the vrt office with ID, registration cert, all the UK forms and certs, service history, etc along with proof of address, ferry crossing receipt and as they'd requested: a declaration that the car was a gift. They checked the car, checked all the docs and the vrt calculated was exactly as given on their site...got the A4 sheet with an Irish reg.

Called insurers and moved over from my old car which had been taken to the big road in the sky the day previously. Here it is not a one stop shop so had to then get plates made up and fitted. Walked in off the street and did both within the hour.
    It took 48 hours to be recognised on the online road tax site, paid that. Another 2 days to go up on the NCT site, booked that for first available slot next Tuesday.

Insurance cert arrived Tues, Tax disc arrived yesterday, vehicle registration cert today. Easy peasy.
    Best of luck with it all folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hi all - I just bought a 2nd hand car from Charles Hurst in NI, the car was delivered today and I've received the invoice in PDF form from the sales person.

The following is written on the top of the invoice:

"This a second hand margin scheme supply"

And the price on the invoice does not match what I paid, basically the VAT is 0% so the invoice price seems 16.6% less than I paid. Also, the name on the V5C form I received is not the dealership but what looks like a private individual, who I presume traded in the car I have against a new car with Charles Hurst.

The V5C form is not filled out in any way by Charles Hurst, not sure if I need to do anything here? Like do I need to complete the permanent export bit and send it to Swansea?

Is this situation standard and is it likely to cause me any problems when registering the car for VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Hi folks,
    Brought in a car from UK last week, 2nd time over in 6 months after upgrading the wife's last year. As easy as last time, where I did a big write up on here. In fact Imperial Car Market was faster to release the car than CarGiant so made the ferry this time!

Anyway.... When I went to VRT yesterday I was told that even though I have a stat code that matches the car 100% I need to wait for revenue to send me a text to confirm and go back. The lady said this is now standard procedure for all Audi, BMW and Merc's that are < 2 years old.

Seems very odd to me. Has anyone experienced this? How long does it usually take for revenue.
    FYI, car is a BME330e plug in hybrid (June 2016 reg date) so maybe that's the root of confusion as the VRT is substantially lowered being a PHEV.

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hi all - I just bought a 2nd hand car from Charles Hurst in NI, the car was delivered today and I've received the invoice in PDF form from the sales person.

The following is written on the top of the invoice:

"This a second hand margin scheme supply"

And the price on the invoice does not match what I paid, basically the VAT is 0% so the invoice price seems 16.6% less than I paid. Also, the name on the V5C form I received is not the dealership but what looks like a private individual, who I presume traded in the car I have against a new car with Charles Hurst.

The V5C form is not filled out in any way by Charles Hurst, not sure if I need to do anything here? Like do I need to complete the permanent export bit and send it to Swansea?

Is this situation standard and is it likely to cause me any problems when registering the car for VRT?

Revenue don't care what you paid for the car in another country or what figure is on the invoice. All they care about is that the invoice is legitimate, issued by a legitimate business and has the date of purchase.

As with the V5C, you or the seller do not need to be listed on it as the registered owner. The garage bought it off someone else and you are not a UK resident so cannot get the V5C put in your name. All Revenue want want from the V5C is the car's details such as UK reg, VIN, chassis number, engine size, Co2 figure, etc and that they match that on the car. They will re-register it here and as part of that process will inform the DVLA in Swansea that it has been permanently exported. You need to do nothing around that.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Brought in a car from UK last week, 2nd time over in 6 months after upgrading the wife's last year. As easy as last time, where I did a big write up on here. In fact Imperial Car Market was faster to release the car than CarGiant so made the ferry this time!

Anyway.... When I went to VRT yesterday I was told that even though I have a stat code that matches the car 100% I need to wait for revenue to send me a text to confirm and go back. The lady said this is now standard procedure for all Audi, BMW and Merc's that are < 2 years old.

Seems very odd to me. Has anyone experienced this? How long does it usually take for revenue.
    FYI, car is a BME330e plug in hybrid (June 2016 reg date) so maybe that's the root of confusion as the VRT is substantially lowered being a PHEV.

It's covered a few times in the last number of pages in this thread. It's normal with premium cars as they check for factory extras on cars 2 years old or newer which attract extra VRT. Revenue will check the car's VIN with the manufacturer and it will tell them if there are any extras fitted to the car. Revenue will then charge extra VRT. The VRT calculator cannot take into account factory extras which are specific to a particular car as it's a generic calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

Hi folks,

Are they doing the same with Volvo V40s? Thinking of getting a 2017 one.

Not sure but don't think so. They only seem to be concerned with the likes of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Hi folks,

Hi Buzzfish,

The BMW330e plug in hybrid is lovely car. Did it take much searching to get one? How did you find Imperial Car Market to use? Do you mind me asking how much do you pay approx for a 2016 one of these ad how much VRT are you looking to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Yes told same thing...11 month old car.

Got the text 8 days after initial appointment, €40 more than I had calculated!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Hi Buzzfish,

The BMW330e plug in hybrid is lovely car. Did it take much searching to get one? How did you find Imperial Car Market to use? Do you mind me asking how much do you pay approx for a 2016 one of these ad how much VRT are you looking to pay?

Was looking for 3-4 weeks to find one I wanted for the right money. Imperial were great. Arrived and left showroom in Portsmouth within 60mins. All in for €25k incl vrt (1800 I hope, according to get calc), flights, ferry, train and petrol to get home.

Frank Keane was offering 2k less on my trade in than I got for it selling private and wanted 32k for an SE base spec. I got the sport with a few goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

Hi guys I said I'd give my experience on paying for a car from Charles Hurst in Belfast.

I was in a rush as a car I really liked came on a Friday at a reasonable price but I could only make the trip on Monday the following week. I looked into using currencyfair and revolout etc. but I could not get the money transferred into the proxy account and out to the dealer over the weekend.

I would loose about €400 from what was being quoted by using my BOI visa debit. Called the bank to let.them know what I was doing. Got the train from cork to Belfast and the sales guy collected me from the train station which was a nice touch. Paid using my visa debit with no issues but to my surprise it cost the same as the currency exchange companies were quoting.

It might not be worth all the trouble to change over. The BOI website quoted €400 more but I was happy when I looked online to see it wasn't 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

mick4_2000 wrote: »
    Hi guys I said I'd give my experience on paying for a car from Charles Hurst in Belfast.

I was in a rush as a car I really liked came on a Friday at a reasonable price but I could only make the trip on Monday the following week. I looked into using currencyfair and revolout etc. but I could not get the money transferred into the proxy account and out to the dealer over the weekend.

I would loose about €400 from what was being quoted by using my BOI visa debit. Called the bank to let.them know what I was doing. Got the train from cork to Belfast and the sales guy collected me from the train station which was a nice touch. Paid using my visa debit with no issues but to my surprise it cost the same as the currency exchange companies were

It might not be worth all the trouble to change over. The BOI website quoted €400 more but I was happy when I looked online to see it wasn't 😀

Congrats. What car did you buy and how much is the vrt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We bought Honda CRV recently from Clive Hamilton motors in Cookstown and couldn't say enough good things about them. Family run business and it really shows.
    We went and saw the car. Put a small deposit of a few hundred on it which wasn't a problem for them. It was taken down off website immediately.
    Anyway the Beast from the East fecked things up a bit in the sense that i couldn't get into the bank to complete the transfer of funds. I told them I'd have money sorted on the Monday and it took longer than expected. No pressure at all from them.
    Changed car over in Monaghan yesterday. Very straightforward once you have all your paperwork.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Congrats. What car did you buy and how much is the vrt?

I bought a 2015 A6 sline s-tronic. They couldn't match the co2 emissions in the NCT center so I'm waiting for a call back from them. Hopefully it won't be too far from the ones on the vrt calculator between 5 and 5.5k I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I bought a 2015 A6 sline s-tronic. They couldn't match the co2 emissions in the NCT center so I'm waiting for a call back from them. Hopefully it won't be too far from the ones on the vrt calculator between 5 and 5.5k I'd say.

Have a look back on my posts... very similar car, probably same engine and Co2 etc. Had to wait over 3 weeks! Only eventually got back quicker cause I was hounding NCTS. Hopefully you don't have same wait.

All the best with the car. Very happy with my A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭creedp

My VRT appointment in on Thursday and I'm trying to complete the Revenue's Forms. I must be thick as I'm confused about a couple of entries as follows:

On the VRTVPD2 form - I purchased the car but it will be registered in my wife's name. The invoice is in my wife's name so I assume I don't have to complete Section 3 of form even though I will be bringing it to the VRT appointment?

Also the invoice is dated 30th March so that is date of dale. However, if I put date of entry at 02/04/2018 will I have to provide any proof that care entered on this date. Will it make any difference from the point of view of taxing car, i.e. if car entered on 30/03/2018 will I be taxed from 01/03/2018?

Declaration for Registration of a New or Used Vehicle .. Section A10 - do I just tick M1 Vehicle - its a Nissan Leaf?

No. of windows - do you actually have to count fly windows or is it simply 5 doors and 5 windows?

Section A 12 - Is this the Irish registration details which I don't yet have?

Section B 2 - Country whence Consigned - presumably this is Ireland?

Section B 3 - Again presumably this is the current UK Registration details.

Finally, as registering on behalf of wife do I just need a signed letter from her saying OK for me to register of her behalf?

Sorry for all dumb questions but Im trying to avoid a repeat visit?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Have a look back on my posts... very similar car, probably same engine and Co2 etc. Had to wait over 3 weeks! Only eventually got back quicker cause I was hounding NCTS. Hopefully you don't have same wait.

All the best with the car. Very happy with my A6.

Got a number that could be used to hound them for answers?

creedp wrote: »
    My VRT appointment in on Thursday and I'm trying to complete the Revenue's Forms. I must be thick as I'm confused about a couple of entries as follows:

On the VRTVPD2 form - I purchased the car but it will be registered in my wife's name. The invoice is in my wife's name so I assume I don't have to complete Section 3 of form even though I will be bringing it to the VRT appointment?

Also the invoice is dated 30th March so that is date of dale. However, if I put date of entry at 02/04/2018 will I have to provide any proof that care entered on this date. Will it make any difference from the point of view of taxing car, i.e. if car entered on 30/03/2018 will I be taxed from 01/03/2018?

Declaration for Registration of a New or Used Vehicle .. Section A10 - do I just tick M1 Vehicle - its a Nissan Leaf?

No. of windows - do you actually have to count fly windows or is it simply 5 doors and 5 windows?

Section A 12 - Is this the Irish registration details which I don't yet have?

Section B 2 - Country whence Consigned - presumably this is Ireland?

Section B 3 - Again presumably this is the current UK Registration details.

Finally, as registering on behalf of wife do I just need a signed letter from her saying OK for me to register of her behalf?

Sorry for all dumb questions but Im trying to avoid a repeat visit?

Thanks again

From experience can anyone advise if the VRT centre people will assist with the completion of forms or is it the case that if a form is signed/dated (as I will be bringing car to VRY appointment on behalf of my wife) but some sections still need to be completed on the day they will insist a follow-up appointment is required to complete the process?

Much appreciated

• Advertisement

I didn't have that form with me and the girl working there filled in everything on the form for me. Maybe if its a very busy VRT office they might not be as helpful.

Also i think you might need to bring her ID as well?

heldel00 wrote: »
    I didn't have that form with me and the girl working there filled in everything on the form for me. Maybe if its a very busy VRT office they might not be as helpful.
    heldel00 wrote: »
    Also i think you might need to bring her ID as well?

Thanks for this info

I'm hoping the fact that the form has been pre-signed by my wife will not allow for the possibility of a couple of sections to be filled in on the day following discussion with the VRT person on the counter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

How do ye guys normally pay? Have an appointment in blarney for sat morning. I have the cash in my current account but expecting an €8k payment, should I await the confirmed amount then return with a bank draft another day? Would like to avoid a 2nd trip there.

What’s the limit on a debit card? Couldn’t get through to the bank today.

Could also try splitting over 3 cards.

Got a number that could be used to hound them for answers?

Thanks but I got an answer today. They want €6211 so that's at least €1k over what I expected to pay so will need to appeal it once it gets paid. Don't know where they get €36k for omsp. Every other car of the same year and description is between €4,900 and €5,200. Hard not to be able to discuss it with someone. Had a chat with revenue in cork today but they were a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks but I got an answer today. They want €6211 so that's at least €1k over what I expected to pay so will need to appeal it once it gets paid. Don't know where they get €36k for omsp. Every other car of the same year and description is between €4,900 and €5,200. Hard not to be able to discuss it with someone. Had a chat with revenue in cork today but they were a waste of time.

The 20" Rotor Alloys increase the standard Co2 emissions on the vehicle if fitted from factory,so that may be a reason behind the higher than expected VRT amount.

I remember an issue with an A5 S-Line auto - with the standard 18" wheels in the S-Line pack the Co2 was 127g, going to the 20" Rotors in the Black Pack put that up to 131g which moves it in to the next VRT/Road Tax bracket.

R.O.R wrote: »
    The 20" Rotor Alloys increase the standard Co2 emissions on the vehicle if fitted from factory,so that may be a reason behind the higher than expected VRT amount.

I remember an issue with an A5 S-Line auto - with the standard 18" wheels in the S-Line pack the Co2 was 127g, going to the 20" Rotors in the Black Pack put that up to 131g which moves it in to the next VRT/Road Tax bracket.

Nope it's the same band as it only jumps to 119g but they have the omsp at 36k. That's the difference.

Thanks for the information on the bigger alloys I didn't realize that.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Hi,

just looking for some advice. I'm looking to buy from CarGiant next week and have narrowed down the cars I want to go for to 3. I obviously would like to get full check done on whichever one I eventually go for but there is no way I'll pay for a Dekra check on all of them in advance of travelling over.

Anyone have any advice on this? What ave people done when dealing with CarGiant / similar sized dealers.

Thanks,

nicol.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

How do ye guys normally pay? Have an appointment in blarney for sat morning. I have the cash in my current account but expecting an €8k payment, should I await the confirmed amount then return with a bank draft another day? Would like to avoid a 2nd trip there.

What’s the limit on a debit card? Couldn’t get through to the bank today.

Could also try splitting over 3 cards.

Just to close this out. I was able to split my payment over 3 cards(max amount of €2.5k on debit card and balance on 2 credit cards which I prefunded and rang both to give a heads up).

They no longer charge a fee for credit card payments.

• Advertisement

Just to close this out. I was able to split my payment over 3 cards(max amount of €2.5k on debit card and balance on 2 credit cards which I prefunded and rang both to give a heads up).

They no longer charge a fee for credit card payments.

AIB have a daily limit of 2.5k. I'm with BOI and they have a daily limit of 50k so was able to pay the full amount using the 1 visa debit card.

It's a bank limit rather than an NCT thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement