Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Yes I could do this but it would likely require two trips over. They would have to wait for the transfer to clear before they release the car. And they warned that even after the transfer has cleared, they do some other servicing/preparations on the car before releasing it. I doubt I could get it done in one trip. :(

Some others have given links to other payment methods that most dealers in the U.K. will take. They’re further back in the thread. Revolut is one I think. Ask the dealer about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pay the deposit, get the car checked out by the AA and then head over and purchase if the report is good. They even take it for a spin so you have that piece of mind before committing to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

In fairness it's not even a year old car. Can't be too much wrong with it unless it's been crashed ! It'll also be under a worldwide manufacturer warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Mc Love wrote: »
    Pay the deposit, get the car checked out by the AA and then head over and purchase if the report is good. They even take it for a spin so you have that piece of mind before committing to purchase.

Yes, they'll do a better investigation than I ever could anyway.
    hawkelady wrote: »
    In fairness it's not even a year old car. Can't be too much wrong with it unless it's been crashed ! It'll also be under a worldwide manufacturer warranty.

That's true. However, totting up my numbers the total cost will come to €20K, which is my budget but paying this without ever having seen the car in person is making me sweat even with an AA check. But reading back through the thread, people seem to be doing it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Merri08

@bfa1509
    We just done as u are looking into , I got the garage to do a videos up of our car a in-depth vid and email it to us . We were happy enough with that . Gave a deposit told them to service and get paper work in order ready for release and then transferred the rest of the money to thNew fully fitted ford engine fitted 6/16, new cluch & fly wheel 2/15,
    Fully ford service history ,Top spec ghia ,touch screen center console ,full leather interior. Front seats Heated /cooling seat , electric adjusting driver seat .leather steering wheel .Parking mirrors
    Panarimic roof with sunscreens also sun screen on all passengers windows
    upgraded leather seat upholstery Alloy & leather steering wheel with tilt m it had be in there acc 48 hr before car was been taken away . It all worked out fine flew over boat back same day (well we missed the boat so had to stay over )

So were have vrt sat no idea how much it going to be and no way of knowing , does anyone know if they give u a fee there n then do u pay it then on the day or have a few days ....? Or if it goes for manual inspection wits the process do they call u with a figure ? Then u come back n pay that
    Just know idea should I get draf out for x amount pay the balance on the day or wot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Merri08 wrote: »

So were have vrt sat no idea how much it going to be and no way of knowing , does anyone know if they give u a fee there n then do u pay it then on the day or have a few days ....? Or if it goes for manual inspection wits the process do they call u with a figure ? Then u come back n pay that
    Just know idea should I get draf out for x amount pay the balance on the day or wot

Obviously don’t inform them of the new engine etc. They take a credit card payment there and then.

In my case the lady just checked the mileage and the VIN. Didn’t look at anything else. You have to take proof of address, proof of PRSI number ( the public services card is fine, drivers license and receipt for the car and the UK log book.
    They will take a bank draft too but obviously you would need to know the amount. You can even get number plates at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I got a pain in my brain from trying to read the text speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Merri08

Thanks Joey

The prob is our car is not on the system but if we are lucky and they put in the make and model that is all the same difference is 1 ours is long wheel base and 2 co2 is 143 where one on the system is 136 , I’d say we will be doing well to get something that will miss that !

Sorry bazz stressing you out

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Private seller - by the book - UK road tax?
    I swear this question hasn't been asked or answered since page 500 .. I checked.
    I'm buying a vehicle in London on Saturday from a by the book private seller. DVLA will be informed online immediately so I need to sort out UK road tax on Saturday.
    My insurance will be with Liberty but I will not have any hard copy.
    How do I legally get from London to Dublin ?
    Vehicle is a motorcycle if that really matters.
    Thanks

If it's the same process for bikes as cars then you should be able to tax it online. However if you don't have a UK bank account you won't be able to tax it for only 1 month. You will need to tax it for 6 months as a direct debit is only accepted for 1 month tax payment whereas they accept a debit/credit card for 6 months payment or longer. Once you are home you can always claim back the unused tax from the DVLA.

Regarding insurance, get your insurer to issue a confirmation email with the policy details and print that off if you can. Also have their international help line number handy on you in the event you need to ring them over there to confirm your policy.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    If it's the same process for bikes as cars then you should be able to tax it online. However if you don't have a UK bank account you won't be able to tax it for only 1 month. You will need to tax it for 6 months as a direct debit is only accepted for 1 month tax payment whereas they accept a debit/credit card for 6 months payment or longer. Once you are home you can always claim back the unused tax from the DVLA.

Regarding insurance, get your insurer to issue a confirmation email with the policy details and print that off if you can. Also have their international help line number handy on you in the event you need to ring them over there to confirm your policy.

Thanks bazz26 I have a UK bank account but not an real address (just a PO box) as I recently returned from living in UK. Can I tax vehicle without a real UK address, do I give my Irish address to tax and later reclaim tax ?

I'm not sure with a private sale. I only have experience of buying from a dealer where they used their address but the Irish buyer's card. Have you a UK friend or relative's address you could use to be safe?

bazz26 wrote:
    I'm not sure with a private sale. I only have experience of buying from a dealer where they used their address but the Irish buyer's card. Have you a UK friend or relative's address you could use to be safe?

Final update for future searchers.
    I bought a UK registered motorcycle from a private seller and following the instructions laid out in DVLA document INS160 the seller does not inform the DVLA of the transfer of ownership online but rather by a 'signed' letter which of course delays the voiding of the road tax by a few days. Happy days.

If I get a draft made out for my vrt who do I make it out to??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Applus Car Testing Service LTd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Apologies if this has been asked already but it's a long thread.

I have a car that was initially imported from the UK about 10 years ago.

3 or so years ago I moved to the UK and brought the car with me, exporting from Ireland and importing it back into the UK.

Now I'm moving/have moved back to Ireland, and I've brought the car back with me again.

What is the deal with registering the car again?
    I still have the old plates and everything.
    I surely don't have to pay VRT on it again, do I?

I can't find the information on the Revenue website.

You still have to make an appointment for a VRT inspection afaik to reregister the car here but there should be no actual VRT amount owing. The car will then be registered here on the old Irish reg.

You still have to make an appointment for a VRT inspection afaik to reregister the car here but there should be no actual VRT amount owing. The car will then be registered here on the old Irish reg.

Thanks.

Do you know is there any issue with how long the car has been here?

I've had it here for a while as a non-resident (taxed and insured in the UK so there's no issue with the legality of having it on the road) but now I'm becoming a resident here again, and I've seen that you're supposed to VRT it within 7 days of coming into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Gbear wrote: »
    [...] you're supposed to VRT it within 7 days of coming into the country.

Just have a trip up North, shoot yourself (and a car) a photo at the border on your way back. Sorted. :D

;)

Having skittered around various places I've found out that ultimately I just need to send for a replacement logbook and export the car in the UK, so they won't be chasing me for tax.

Then I can carry on with the previous reg as normal.

Cheers for the help.

• Advertisement

If the car originally had VRT paid on it when new and you didn't claim a VRT refund when you moved to the UK with it then there should be no VRT to pay again when you bring it home. You still have to go through the VRT inspection process though so that the car is re-registered here.

If the car originally had VRT paid on it when new and you didn't claim a VRT refund when you moved to the UK with it then there should be no VRT to pay again when you bring it home. You still have to go through the VRT inspection process though so that the car is re-registered here.

Not according to the VRT people, The Department of Transport or the Motor Tax Office.

Apparently I just have to fill out an RF134 form - a replacement logbook form.

Even better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

bfa1509 wrote: »

My problem is that they do not accept cash/draft, only bank transfer. Which means that I would essentially be buying a car that I never saw in person before (I have test driven the same car here though and I like it). Is this a terrible idea, or is it commonly done, even with the risks?
    bonkers67 wrote: »
    Some others have given links to other payment methods that most dealers in the U.K. will take. They’re further back in the thread. Revolut is one I think. Ask the dealer about that.

I ended up using Transferwise to buy the car. The amount I saved using Transferwise rather than direct bank transfer was enough to cover the costs of getting the flight over, the ferry back + a full tank of fuel! Ridiculous!

Thanks bonkers67 for alerting me to the existence of weird alternative payment options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kittycat_84

Merri08 wrote: »
    Thanks Joey

The prob is our car is not on the system but if we are lucky and they put in the make and model that is all the same difference is 1 ours is long wheel base and 2 co2 is 143 where one on the system is 136 , I’d say we will be doing well to get something that will miss that !

Sorry bazz stressing you out

hi Merri08,

How are you able to manage your vrt. I have a different car from Benz and issue is the model is not showing in system. So NCT guy quired to revenue. They got a reply with different model which doesn't match to my car. So again they put the query back to revenue. Not sure how long it takes to resolve. Andy 30days is getting over for me now.

Let me know if your registration is done then did they added you car model into the system or did they put it under different model?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I was just wondering if there’s any drawbacks to buying up north. Looking at a car priced around 13.5 here, ye get it for around 10.8 with vrt included up north.

It seems to be the same case for most cars, buying up north isn’t much hassle as at worst ye could do 1 night in a hotel and travel around viewing cars the following morning and drive home your new car that day.

I find it strange that everyone isn’t at it when ye get around 3k off a 14k car when the only hassle is a few hour road trip and registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I went up north last Saturday to have a look at a few cars. Left the house around 7am, was in newry around 8.40. Had a look at a car and test drive/chat with dealer and then on to belfast. Loads of dealerships in the one location there, Boucher road so had another look around. Most dealers were extremely busy. Honestly thought we'd get more looked at, really only had a good look at 2 cars in reality. I work monday-friday and I don't know about others but I just wouldn't take a day or two off work to go look at cars. I done plenty of research before going so more or less had my mind made up, i wouldn't be going up there not knowing what I wanted. Both cars checked out in person so it was just a matter of picking which one to go for then and organise HPI checks etc.

Savings aren't as good as the UK but spec is better than down here and i reckon I saved around 3.5/4k all in so happy enough with that. I'm heading up to collect it tomorrow evening all going to plan.

When revenue are working out the open market selling price , do they include vat/vrt in that price ? Let's say I buy a car in the uk for £20k. The car is worth €30k here.. they put 19% on 30k to work out the vrt. But has that price of 30k not already got vat/vrt added to it?
    So effectively they are charging you vat/vrt twice??

Have I got this wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The OMSP includes VRT, so the amount you pay is a percentage of that OMSP.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Im looking to go to the Uk for a bmw 5 series xdrive 2017 for my father.

It looks we would save €8000. Would this be correct? Also, should we get aninspection be done on it.

Main Bmw dealer is selling it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement