Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You might be lucky but I dont see them honouring it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

bazz26 wrote: »
    Contact a Nissan dealer in the North and see if they will fix it under warranty. I'd say the dealer you bought it from won't care now.

I'm from Cork so going to the North will be a looong trip. I think the problem is now my extended warranty isn't valid. It's only 5 months out of 3 year manufacturer warranty and apparently this is a known issue with these cars, so if this was a normal Irish car Nissan would cover under goodwill. I just need a way to get them to do this dealing with UK/Ireland handover

Escalate with Nissan Europe?????

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well if a NI dealer will cover the cost of a new a/c unit then surely the trip from Cork is worth it? Find a cheap hotel and stay over, either that our your probably going to have to suck up the 1k bill yourself. Nissan UK and Nissan Ireland are probably separate entities so it's very unlikely either will entertain fixing the car here free of charge.

I've been through similar with VW a few years back and ended up driving the car up to a VW dealer in Belfast where VW UK covered the cost of repair under warranty but initially refused when I contacted because the car was "exported". Staying in Belfast a few nights was cheaper than me paying the bill down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Old diesel wrote: »
    Escalate with Nissan Europe?????

Any number I can ring for this?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Well if a NI dealer will cover the cost of a new a/c unit then surely the trip from Cork is worth it? Find a cheap hotel and stay over, either that our your probably going to have to suck up the 1k bill yourself. Nissan UK and Nissan Ireland are probably separate entities so it's very unlikely either will entertain fixing the car here free of charge.

I've been through similar with VW a few years back and ended up driving the car up to a VW dealer in Belfast where VW UK covered the cost of repair under warranty but initially refused when I contacted because the car was "exported". Staying in Belfast a few nights was cheaper than me paying the bill down here.

Ok ya it's probably an option, if I cant get anything done down here. Will keep trying that for now. The 3 year manufacturer warranty details are here;

http://assets.nissan-aftersales.co.uk/WarrantyBooklet_EN.pdf
    https://www.nissan.co.uk/ownership/nissan-car-warranties.html

It's listed as Pan European, so if Nissan would agree to honor under goodwill, seeing as it's a known manufacturer issue, it's just 5 months outside this warranty and it's only 54,000 KM (way under the warranty levels), then they should honor it in Ireland just as easily as they would honor in UK.

• Advertisement

The problem is that goodwill is paid for my the distributor via a charge back from the dealer. The distributor here is Nissan Ireland, the distributor in the UK is Nissan UK. They are most likely two separate companies as such. I would be very surprised if Nissan Ireland will offer goodwill on a car outside of the manufacturer's warranty that wasn't bought in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

Looking for advice/opinions.
    Bought a Nissan Qashqai from Nissan UK dealer in November. 3 year Manufacturer warranty ran out in Jan, but it came with a 12 month extended Nissan Cared4 warranty. It turns out after reading the fine print, this warranty is only valid I live in the UK. I know, stupid me, I should have read the details closer when I was buying, but I didn't and the salesman insisted there was cover for repairs in Europe, which there is but only if you live in UK.

The air con is now broken in the car and needs a condenser rad, pipe and re gas, so about €1K if I want to fix. This type of issue is covered under the warranty, but obviously the UK warranty team have now told me my warranty isn't valid and they wont cover.

I'm going to ring the dealership I bought it from later and going to either try to push them to escalate to Nissan Europe so that this can get covered or else ask for a refund on the warranty, seeing as the Salesman knew he was selling to me in Ireland and the warranty wouldn't be valid.

I know I probably wont have much chance on either, but I'm going to try. I've been trying to read the UK consumer rights act to see if I have any rights seeing as the UK salesman sold me a warranty that was never going to be valid.

Any thoughts?

What dealer did you buy from? When I bought from Cargiant the salesman (and in fairness, he was a young enough fella) didn't know that Ireland wasn't in the UK, even after I did the whole "Ireland, not Northern Ireland" thing, kept trying to sell me the warranty, had to get a supervisor in the end, who rather awkwardly had to explain to him that Ireland was indeed a different country to the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Bought a Peugeot Partner in the UK through a auction house, booked it in for the vrt and got told that i need a co2 cert and proof of the ferry.

The Co2 isnt written on the V5 where it should be, phoned around dealers and gave the chassis numbers to get it that way but a few dealers have told me that i'll have phone the UK to get the details, so i've emailed dealers in the uk and hopefully i;ll get it that way.

I didn't use a ferry and instead got a one man band car transporter to pick the car up and drop it home to Ireland and received no paperwork, now i cant give the VRT what i dont have, was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences in Vrt'ing a car with out this documentation?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

I Was VB wrote: »
    Bought a Peugeot Partner in the UK through a auction house, booked it in for the vrt and got told that i need a co2 cert and proof of the ferry.

The Co2 isnt written on the V5 where it should be, phoned around dealers and gave the chassis numbers to get it that way but a few dealers have told me that i'll have phone the UK to get the details, so i've emailed dealers in the uk and hopefully i;ll get it that way.

I didn't use a ferry and instead got a one man band car transporter to pick the car up and drop it home to Ireland and received no paperwork, now i cant give the VRT what i dont have, was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences in Vrt'ing a car with out this documentation?

Cheers!

About the proof of transport, i did just told them back is september last, that i've got the car up from NI, even though i got it from London, was looking to have a try myself to see if i'll go ahead with, and did work without any other proof.

To mention that on the v5 was the UK adress of the previous owner, did just told that i meet the seller in a mall up north...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭dubguy45

Just make reasonable excuses. They are only interested in the cash you are paying, for which you get nothing. If you give them an extra €20 they will furnish you with a set of reg plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

noel100 wrote: »
    Bought a 151 mini from dealership in Belfast.
    Done the transaction using revolut
    £500 as deposit on revolut card
    And rest of the money paid by transfer using revolut.

Highly recommend revolut.

VRT will be done on Sunday
    It's a basic model automatic.
    The VRT is 2660 on calculator.

Garage upgraded the alloys on the car for free, the price cost 2600 here.

Will I have to pay VRT on these alloys.

If they are not against the original factory build spec decoded by the cars VIN, you will not be charged, even though the car is within the 4 year time-frame for charging on extras. :cool:

Looking for advice/opinions.
    Bought a Nissan Qashqai from Nissan UK dealer in November. 3 year Manufacturer warranty ran out in Jan, but it came with a 12 month extended Nissan Cared4 warranty. It turns out after reading the fine print, this warranty is only valid I live in the UK. I know, stupid me, I should have read the details closer when I was buying, but I didn't and the salesman insisted there was cover for repairs in Europe, which there is but only if you live in UK.

The air con is now broken in the car and needs a condenser rad, pipe and re gas, so about €1K if I want to fix. This type of issue is covered under the warranty, but obviously the UK warranty team have now told me my warranty isn't valid and they wont cover.

I'm going to ring the dealership I bought it from later and going to either try to push them to escalate to Nissan Europe so that this can get covered or else ask for a refund on the warranty, seeing as the Salesman knew he was selling to me in Ireland and the warranty wouldn't be valid.

I know I probably wont have much chance on either, but I'm going to try. I've been trying to read the UK consumer rights act to see if I have any rights seeing as the UK salesman sold me a warranty that was never going to be valid.

Any thoughts?

Dealership I bought from in UK have said they are going to arrange to get this fixed for me in my local Nissan garage. They're going to ship the parts over as apparently it's cheaper. So looks like I'm going to get lucky on this one. Hopefully it works out now

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

VRT and VAT question. I am buying a car from the UK that's 9 months old and has 3500kms on it. I will have to pay VRT and VAT when I register the car. How do I claim the VAT back that was paid on it in the UK?
    I am buying this from a used car dealer, there is no VAT on the invoice as this is a used car. Do I need to get in touch with the dealer who originally sold this car? I can't see them giving me a copy of someone else's invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

brasher wrote:
    VRT and VAT question. I am buying a car from the UK that's 9 months old and has 3500kms on it. I will have to pay VRT and VAT when I register the car. How do I claim the VAT back that was paid on it in the UK? I am buying this from a used car dealer, there is no VAT on the invoice as this is a used car. Do I need to get in touch with the dealer who originally sold this car? I can't see them giving me a copy of someone else's invoice.

Drive 2.5k more to have it above 6k to avoid vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭amacca

Just a quick question....has the process (recommended way) of importing a car yourself and paying vrt changed from the original posts at the start of this thread?

Looking at bringing in a second hand 4x4 from the UK soon and don't want to make any silly errors regarding what checks to get done, how to pay etc....thinking of driving it back myself on ferry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

amacca wrote: »
    Just a quick question....has the process (recommended way) of importing a car yourself and paying vrt changed from the original posts at the start of this thread?

Looking at bringing in a second hand 4x4 from the UK soon and don't want to make any silly errors regarding what checks to get done, how to pay etc....thinking of driving it back myself on ferry etc.

Still the same and make sure you appeal the vrt no matter what they charge you. Best of luck

hawkelady wrote: »
    Still the same and make sure you appeal the vrt no matter what they charge you. Best of luck

Thank you, I will:D

Just a couple more questions

Would AA/RAC still be the guys to get the inspection done with? ClickMechanic any good?

And deposit with credit card but after that whats mechanism to save a few quid on the exchange from euro to GBP

Whats the best service to get a car history check (HPI CatDs etc etc) done with....

noel100 wrote: »
    Drive 2.5k more to have it above 6k to avoid vat.

I understand that part of it. I am wondering how you claim the vat back when you have paid it?

Thank you, I will:D

Just a couple more questions

Would AA/RAC still be the guys to get the inspection done with? ClickMechanic any good?

And deposit with credit card but after that whats mechanism to save a few quid on the exchange from euro to GBP

Whats the best service to get a car history check (HPI CatDs etc etc) done with....

AIB --> Transferwise --> Dealer was a good bit cheaper than using AIB directly. Getting the car shipped back also worked out cheaper than getting it myself.

brasher wrote: »
    AIB --> Transferwise --> Dealer was a good bit cheaper than using AIB directly. Getting the car shipped back also worked out cheaper than getting it myself.

If you don't mind me asking How did you get it shipped back ...what company shipped it? We would be talking a nine to ten year old 4x4 here.

• Advertisement

If you don't mind me asking How did you get it shipped back ...what company shipped it? We would be talking a nine to ten year old 4x4 here.

They will only take it if it can be driven onto the truck. I used NVD. You'll have to pick it up from one of their depots. They bring it back on a transporter. Cost me around 300 Euros. Took 3 days from pickup to collection.

brasher wrote: »
    They will only take it if it can be driven onto the truck. I used NVD. You'll have to pick it up from one of their depots. They bring it back on a transporter. Cost me around 300 Euros. Took 3 days from pickup to collection.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

I'm off to the uk tomorrow and should be completing a purchase on Saturday.

Re contacting the DVLA to say car being exported do they need a phone call or is it enough to send in the part of the log book to the DVLA. I will be traveling back Saturday night.

Seller will need to write to the DVLA informing them that the car is sold and being permanently exported. It's not your concern, just make sure you get the full V5c registration document from the seller as you won't be able to register the car here without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

So I have a car on hold for me in Northern Ireland. Inspection was done and checks brought up no surprises.

I would still prefer to see the car before transferring the money though!

What have people found the most efficient way to pay?

At the moment revolut seem to have a slightly better conversation than transfer wise but I haven't looked at the fees yet.

It's a 4.5 hour drive so I'll stay up there for a night if I have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi folks, whats the general consensus on the best way to transfer funds to a private seller.

Its actually not for a car, but a boat, but I know there is expert advice to be had in this thread on this aspect of it.

I was thinking either bank draft, or electronic transfer (are there other better options which also give the seller more assurance during a transfer?) It'll be a sub £8k GBP amount.

Its actually not for a car, but a boat, but I know there is expert advice to be had in this thread on this aspect of it.

Hi folks, whats the general consensus on the best way to transfer funds to a private seller.

I was thinking either bank draft, or electronic transfer (are there other better options which also give the seller more assurance during a transfer?) It'll be a sub £8k GBP amount.

I made a transfer using revolut for over £10k no issues. I was shocked that.the full amount was transferred from my UB AC on the debit card in one go and then changed euros to pounds and sent it to their Bank account with a transfer witth message in the reference section. No issues had money following day.

I made a transfer using revolut for over £10k no issues. I was shocked that.the full amount was transferred from my UB AC on the debit card in one go and then changed euros to pounds and sent it to their Bank account with a transfer with message in the reference section. No issues had money following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Just wondering if I can tap the fountain of knowledge here as I have VRT appointment tomorrow...

1. Proof of address - my employer only provides P60 online, I've printed this off. Do you reckon this will suffice? I literally have no accounts (bank or utility or employment etc) that provide hard copy statements.

2. Declaration for registration form - there's a box looking for month and year of manufacture but there's nothing in the V5 certificate saying this? Does this box have to be filled in? Where would I find this?

3. What is EU Type-Approval Directive/s? Is this the type approval number on the V5 cert?

4. The dealer invoice only shows the total price, not the breakdown of cost and VAT. Does this matter?

• Advertisement

1. Proof of address - my employer only provides P60 online, I've printed this off. Do you reckon this will suffice? I literally have no accounts (bank or utility or employment etc) that provide hard copy statements.

Done VRT last week won't accept this unless you have original sent out in post. You can print a statement from the bank once the bank stamps it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement