Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Just wondering if I can tap the fountain of knowledge here as I have VRT appointment tomorrow...

1. Proof of address - my employer only provides P60 online, I've printed this off. Do you reckon this will suffice? I literally have no accounts (bank or utility or employment etc) that provide hard copy statements.

2. Declaration for registration form - there's a box looking for month and year of manufacture but there's nothing in the V5 certificate saying this? Does this box have to be filled in? Where would I find this?

3. What is EU Type-Approval Directive/s? Is this the type approval number on the V5 cert?

4. The dealer invoice only shows the total price, not the breakdown of cost and VAT. Does this matter?

1. I printed off an online utility bill and had no issue.
    2. That should be contained in Section 4, parts B & B1 of the full V5
    3. You don't need to concern yourself with this unless its a brand new car never on the road/registered before. You can skip Section A items 10 & 12 and Section B 3 & 4
    4. You will be fine if you only have an invoice stating the final price paid

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Hi all just wondering if anyone here has used there BOI visa debit card to make the full payment in the UK for there car

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

pdiddy wrote: »
    Hi all just wondering if anyone here has used there BOI visa debit card to make the full payment in the UK for there car

Yeah, any car I bought in the UK, I paid with my BOI visa debit card. Last car was £15,000 no problem. If you google, visa currency converter and input the details it will tell the conversation and what you’ll expect to pay. Better rate than cash draft. The max BOI charge on commission is around €11/€12

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

masit wrote:
    Yeah, any car I bought in the UK, I paid with my BOI visa debit card. Last car was £15,000 no problem. If you google, visa currency converter and input the details it will tell the conversation and what you’ll expect to pay. Better rate than cash draft. The max BOI charge on commission is around €11/€12

You have that wrong BOI charge close to 2% on the currency and charges as well if you compare revolut weekend rate which has a spread on it is 0.8799 and BOI is
    0.8676, mid week revolut is close to the market rate. There is savings of a couple hundred euro using a currency card.

I purchased a mini 4 weeks ago in Belfast and I saved more than 150euro using revolut.

noel100 wrote: »
    You have that wrong BOI charge close to 2% on the currency and charges as well if you compare revolut weekend rate which has a spread on it is 0.8799 and BOI is
    0.8676, mid week revolut is close to the market rate. There is savings of a couple hundred euro using a currency card.

I purchased a mini 4 weeks ago in Belfast and I saved more than 150euro using revolut.

The rate is from Visa, not from BOI so if you look at the Visa rate this weekend its .8823. You are kind of right on the 2% but its a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction. So if I bought my last car this weekend at £15,000 with my visa card @.8823 its €16,999.20 plus €11.43 and the dealer gets his money there and then and you are on the road. With revolut @.8799 its €17,047.39 and you have to wait for it to clear. Not much in the difference but if anybody has a BOI card its better using that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I had to buy my car using bank transfer last month as this was all the dealer would accept. I saved €300 by using Transferwise rather than a BOI transfer. All very easy to do.

Also I appealed the VRT on the 25th June even though everything seemed correct (€3500) and yesterday I got a letter back to say I would get a refund of €350. Thats under 3 weeks of a response time. This must be a record!

masit wrote: »
    The rate is from Visa, not from BOI so if you look at the Visa rate this weekend its .8823. You are kind of right on the 2% but its a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction. So if I bought my last car this weekend at £15,000 with my visa card @.8823 its €16,999.20 plus €11.43 and the dealer gets his money there and then and you are on the road. With revolut @.8799 its €17,047.39 and you have to wait for it to clear. Not much in the difference but if anybody has a BOI card its better using that.

Ya the visa rate is pretty good it was the BOI charge I wasn't sure of I seen the max 11 euro charge but was expecting them to lob on some hidden charge somewhere. I'll be definitely going the debit card route the transfer route just takes to long for a weekend trip and don't like the idea of transferring the money before hand.

pdiddy wrote: »
    Ya the visa rate is pretty good it was the BOI charge I wasn't sure of I seen the max 11 euro charge but was expecting them to lob on some hidden charge somewhere. I'll be definitely going the debit card route the transfer route just takes to long for a weekend trip and don't like the idea of transferring the money before hand.

Yeah, it’s a lot quicker. When I bought my last car, if it wasn’t for having a cup of tea I could have been in and out in under 20 mins.

masit wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s a lot quicker. When I bought my last car, if it wasn’t for having a cup of tea I could have been in and out in under 20 mins.

It also allows for a bit of haggling over the price face to face :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

bfa1509 wrote:
    Also I appealed the VRT on the 25th June even though everything seemed correct (€3500) and yesterday I got a letter back to say I would get a refund of €350. Thats under 3 weeks of a response time. This must be a record!

How do you appeal the VRT. I've seen this said before.

• Advertisement

noel100 wrote: »
    How do you appeal the VRT. I've seen this said before.

Once you have paid the VRT, you can appeal it within 2 months of this date. Revenue outlines the process here:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/appeals/index.aspx

I read an article before about how a very small percentage of people appeal but, a very large percentage of those who do, get a refund. Usually the appeal letter argues the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) that revenue seem to pluck from thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ybot

Apologies for probably repeating basic questions but I'm totally confusing myself looking at info on this. I'm looking at buying a panel van which is on UK plates but its owner is using here at the moment, I think he moved here recently, I'm guessing he still also uses his UK address recorded on the reg cert. Would I have any problem in registering it here if I buy it? I see from the requirement that I need proof of importation and an invoice to prove purchase. How do I overcome this with a private sale and with the van already here in Ireland? Also, is there any reason why the re-reg fee would be more than €200? Its a standard transit-type van and has some insulation in the back but will definitely not be used as a camper. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hey folks, not sure if right place to ask this but about Brexit... is it clear as mud what way it's going to go with Brexit and importing from UK? Is it finished after March next year or?
    Had a sort of line in the sand to change the car next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The British Government don't even know what's going to happen, too many unknowns. But if it follows the original script and they leave the EU custom's union without some sort of special agreement, then yes you might have to pay VAT as well as VRT when importing which would probably make importing less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bazz26 wrote: »
    The British Government don't even know what's going to happen, too many unknowns. But if it follows the original script and they leave the EU custom's union without some sort of special agreement, then yes you might have to pay VAT as well as VRT when importing which would probably make importing less attractive.

VAT cannot be charged twice. If it was paid in the UK, then it can't be charged here. Excluding cars less than 6 months old or with less than 6000 km - but the UK VAT is refundable in this case.

Not your ornery onager

What about Japanese imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What about Japanese imports?

Duty is charged on car + CIF (carriage, insurance and freight), then VAT on new total.

Not your ornery onager

Wouldn't VAT have been paid on the Japanese import back in Japan also when it was new? What would be the difference between a Japanese and UK import after Brexit assuming they don't remain in the Customs Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

They only care about EU VAT having been paid.

Right so once it was originally paid in the EU state then it doesn't have to be paid again. Got it. UK imports will eventually dry up though once they reach the stage of owing VAT here also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ybot

ybot wrote: »
    Apologies for probably repeating basic questions but I'm totally confusing myself looking at info on this. I'm looking at buying a panel van which is on UK plates but its owner is using here at the moment, I think he moved here recently, I'm guessing he still also uses his UK address recorded on the reg cert. Would I have any problem in registering it here if I buy it? I see from the requirement that I need proof of importation and an invoice to prove purchase. How do I overcome this with a private sale and with the van already here in Ireland? Also, is there any reason why the re-reg fee would be more than €200? Its a standard transit-type van and has some insulation in the back but will definitely not be used as a camper. Thanks.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,054 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Right so once it was originally paid in the EU state then it doesn't have to be paid again. Got it. UK imports will eventually dry up though once they reach the stage of owing VAT here also.

Logic would dictate that once the vehicle is VAT paid in an EU Member State then you wouldn't have to pay VAT again even if that State has left the EU.

But then again you are depending on logic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

elperello wrote: »
    Logic would dictate that once the vehicle is VAT paid in an EU Member State then you wouldn't have to pay VAT again even if that State has left the EU.

But then again you are depending on logic :)

you may be right but , leaving the VAT aside, in that case Import Tax may be levied as it would currently on any non EU import. This would have serious implications on the supply of secondhand cars here as the main source for RHD cars is the UK.

Isambard wrote: »
    you may be right but , leaving the VAT aside, in that case Import Tax may be levied as it would currently on any non EU import. This would have serious implications on the supply of secondhand cars here as the main source for RHD cars is the UK.

Yes, we live in interesting times and I'm sure SIMI will be on the case to protect the interests of their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Atlantix

Hi folks,
    I've seen a 2010 car in the UK with 55k miles, the dealer is selling as 'non VAT qualifying' as per the ad text.
    Am I liable to pay Irish VAT as well as VRT if the dealer declares 0% VAT on the sales invoice?
    I'm not VAT registered, just private individual.
    Sorry if this has been already covered!

Hey folks, not sure if right place to ask this but about Brexit... is it clear as mud what way it's going to go with Brexit and importing from UK? Is it finished after March next year or?
    Had a sort of line in the sand to change the car next year.

Here's a video that will NOT answer any of your questions. This is from the Tonight Show on TV3 on Tuesday 18th July 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aEZ8QmVTZ8

Unknown unknowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Is it true that now you can import a car with MOT and you will get NCT disc without having to do NCT?

• Advertisement

Yes, the existing MOT will do here until it's expiry date at which time you will need to do the NCT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement