Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

omri wrote: »
    I'm trying to find the VRT quote for the 530i touring from 2017/18, M Sport. It's a 2l petrol with 252bhp, but there's the list doesn't seem to have it. If I go with 530I it comes up as some V8 model with 3l engine, the other one I have found under 520 model, estate, with the same engine is the SE Model, which isn't the correct one either. Any idea how could I get the correct VRT quote on that ?

UPDATE: after talking over the phone to a rather unfriendly guy from the VRT office, I was told I should present the car to the NCT place which would do the inspection and send the file to CVO, which would then calculate the VRT. This is all re the model that's not listed in the calculator. His advice was to pick the closes possible model and try to guess maybe. Found it bit bizzare that there is no way of getting this information from Revenue or VRT or whoever unless I buy a car and have it over in Ireland.
    You could:
    1/ Figure out the VRT rate based on emissions class
    2/ Estimate an OMSP based on carzone values etc
    3/ Add value/estimate for factory fitted extras,  - refer to section 8.2.3 in the manual here for depreciation rates thereon: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf
    4/ The manual also contains adjustments for going over mileage thresholds, but if you have low-ish mileage it probably won't be relevent anyway
    5/ Apply the rate from number 1 above to the sum of 2 + 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

For those who used Revolut to transfer the money to the dealer's account after test driving the car, how long did it take to reach the dealer's account?

I'm asking because I would like to drive the car shortly after test driving it rather than waiting for hours before the transfer reaches the dealer's bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

ravendude wrote: »
    You could:
    1/ Figure out the VRT rate based on emissions class
    2/ Estimate an OMSP based on carzone values etc
    3/ Add value/estimate for factory fitted extras, - refer to section 8.2.3 in the manual here for depreciation rates thereon: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf .
    4/ The manual also contains adjustments for going over mileage thresholds, but if you have low-ish mileage it probably won't be relevent anyway
    5/ Apply the rate from number 1 above to the sum of 2 + 3

I think No. 2 is where this falls apart.....Revenue's idea of an OMSP will have nothing in common with the average price on Carzone (or any other Car Sales Website).
    Plus if this particular Model is not on their database then there will not be too many similar Models for sale here anyway.
    From reading various Forums (and talking to people in the Trade) if a Car is not on their database the OMSP they come up with will always be more than you expect.
    They almost seem to expect an appeal in these cases :).

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

stek wrote: »
    Document s required for vrt inspection.. I've everything except a letter with my pps number on it.. I've a copy of p60 from February 2018, which is just over 6months old, and a original letter from the revenue but it's 2 years old.. will these be accepted? Any help appreciated..

Sorry but does anyone know if this doc is acceptable? Inspection on monday 🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Amouar wrote: »
    For those who used Revolut to transfer the money to the dealer's account after test driving the car, how long did it take to reach the dealer's account?

I'm asking because I would like to drive the car shortly after test driving it rather than waiting for hours before the transfer reaches the dealer's bank account.

Less than 1 working day for me

• Advertisement

declan123 wrote: »
    Less than 1 working day for me

I was hoping that it would be a couple of hours as I'd like to the drive the car back the same day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

If you deposit euros in Transferwise account the GBP transfer to the dealers account may take as little as 20 min, so i was told today by their customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I think No. 2 is where this falls apart.....Revenue's idea of an OMSP will have nothing in common with the average price on Carzone (or any other Car Sales Website).
    Plus if this particular Model is not on their database then there will not be too many similar Models for sale here anyway.
    From reading various Forums (and talking to people in the Trade) if a Car is not on their database the OMSP they come up with will always be more than you expect.
    They almost seem to expect an appeal in these cases :).

...I know of more than one person who has successfully appealed the revenue OMSP by providing screenshots of carzone, donedeal ads etc. and discounting 5 to 7% as "standard" discount. So, think you are correct that they probably overshoot but ads etc. def hold sway for appeals from what I've heard, anecdotally at least.

ravendude wrote: »
    ...I know of more than one person who has successfully appealed the revenue OMSP by providing screenshots of carzone, donedeal ads etc. and discounting 5 to 7% as "standard" discount. So, think you are correct that they probably overshoot but ads etc. def hold sway for appeals from what I've heard, anecdotally at least.

So for instance the model I was looking at an xDrive 520d 2018 Touring M Sport has a OMSP of €60500, the current OMSP of €52500 and an add on carzon lists "kind of" similar model 172 at €69000, so if I am understanding this correctly their estimation is undervalued if we take carzone ads being the real price these cars go for, and that might not help.

Does anybody know if the European Health Insurance Card will be accepted as a proof of PPS number or it must be either a P60 or the Social Services card?

Also in the FAQ it says that online statements are accepted when 2 types are provided (Utility provider or Bank Statement).

Did anyone try that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Does anybody know if the European Health Insurance Card will be accepted as a proof of PPS number or it must be either a P60 or the Social Services card?

Also in the FAQ it says that online statements are accepted when 2 types are provided (Utility provider or Bank Statement).

Did anyone try that?

I doubt it. The details aren't verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/procedure-at-the-ncts-centre.aspx

In 'other documents' that is exactly what Revenue say can be provided. You seemed to have worked within the Civil Service for a while. Could you not at least check what somebody says before simply "doubting it" ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

I would have a question, please: is it legal to import a car from the UK without changing plate to an Irish one?
    Obviously this would mean not to pay VRT.

I know some colleagues from Germany brought their car here from their country, kept their original plates and insurance contract (which they keep renewing in Germany) and stayed here for years.

They said they are legally entitled to use the car abroad (i.e. in Ireland), as long as it is not for consecutive periods of over 6 months: basically, to stay legal, they just need to visit Northern Ireland every 6 months, even for a day, and anyway they said nobody will check that as it would be hard to get proof.

Is it the same in the UK? Or maybe do you need to be a UK citizen to do this? Thanks.

How did you complete section 10 in the VRT form (EU Type approval directive)? Is this information available in the V5C or should I ask the dealer about it when collecting the car?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

robnet77 wrote: »
    I would have a question, please: is it legal to import a car from the UK without changing plate to an Irish one?

I know some colleagues from Germany brought their car here from their country, kept their original plates and insurance contract (which they keep renewing in Germany) and stayed here for years.

They said they are legally entitled to use the car abroad (i.e. in Ireland), as long as it is not for consecutive periods of over 6 months: basically, to stay legal, they just need to visit Northern Ireland every 6 months, even for a day, and anyway they said nobody will check that as it would be hard to get proof.

Is it the same in the UK? Or maybe do you need to be a UK citizen to do this? Thanks.

It falls under temporary residence here and you still need special dispensation from Revenue to do so. No idea what the process is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Were your colleagues living here or merely keeping the car here (e.g. at a holiday home). There is a general 6 month temporary importation period for non-Irish residents who themselves are here temporarily. Once your German colleagues acquired Irish resident status they were no more entitled to drive a foreign registered vehicle than any other Urish resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

Marcusm wrote: »
    Were your colleagues living here or merely keeping the car here (e.g. at a holiday home). There is a general 6 month temporary importation period for non-Irish residents who themselves are here temporarily. Once your German colleagues acquired Irish resident status they were no more entitled to drive a foreign registered vehicle than any other Urish resident.

They lived and worked here for several years!
    Apparently then, they were keeping their car here illegally, and nobody bothered. I haven't seen them in the last two years though, not sure if any of them have had any problems with this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My company gets graduates from the UK every year and the lads have had to change the plates from Uk ones to Irish ones as they be residing in Ireland for over 6 months, As for going over the border and back in to the south you run a greater risk of getting stopped by the Customs lads who could confiscate the car.
    Plus they would do a paper trail etc by asking for your pps nbr and come to the conclusion your residing in the state and make you change the car over to Irish plates.

How did you complete section 10 in the VRT form (EU Type approval directive)? Is this information available in the V5C or should I ask the dealer about it when collecting the car?

Thanks
    Anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Marcusm wrote: »

They lived and worked here for several years!
    Apparently then, they were keeping their car here illegally, and nobody bothered. I haven't seen them in the last two years though, not sure if any of them have had any problems with this situation.

All I can say is that Customs stopped my German colleague at a former place I worked and told him he'd have to re register his LHD German reg Golf.

He did that but I've forgotten what the punishment was if any.

They didn't take the car off him but they implied they "knew" the car had been in Ireland for sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,055 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Keeping a car at the holiday home seems to operate under the radar. I know of two people who do it. They have the car taxed and insured in the home country and leave it in Ireland. I know one of them who replaced the car with a new one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks
    Anyone? :)

Answered a few times in this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107494247&postcount=6153

ciarsd wrote: »
    1. I printed off an online utility bill and had no issue.
    2. That should be contained in Section 4, parts B & B1 of the full V5
    3. You don't need to concern yourself with this unless its a brand new car never on the road/registered before. You can skip Section A items 10 & 12 and Section B 3 & 4
    4. You will be fine if you only have an invoice stating the final price paid

I was under impression that section B3 needs to be filled with UK reg number and the relevant details.

Can you keep using the car (fresh import) that's put on the current insurance for 30 days (until it gets VRTd, taxed and receives the irish plates) as you would your "normal" car or is that insurance policy limited in any way (in case you crash the car or it gets stolen etc.) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Ask your insurer to be sure. Liberty allowed me to take a policy out on a UK reg car as long as I had it on Irish plates within 30 days. There was no restriction on use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I was under impression that section B3 needs to be filled with UK reg number and the relevant details.

Just giving you my very recent experience

ciarsd wrote: »
    Just giving you my very recent experience

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Has anyone made the trip back recently and have any tips on going by ferry? I've never been but is there a cut off like when flying IE you need to be there 2 hours before sailing?

All going okay, I'm planning on picking up a car in London on a Saturday morning and driving home. I've a 6 hour drive to get to Hollyhead and want to make sure I'm leaving in time. Last ferry is 8.30pm. I could play it safe and book the 2.40 am Sunday one but I'd really like to make it back on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

You can check in as late as 30 minutes before ferry leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Has anyone made the trip back recently and have any tips on going by ferry? I've never been but is there a cut off like when flying IE you need to be there 2 hours before sailing?

All going okay, I'm planning on picking up a car in London on a Saturday morning and driving home. I've a 6 hour drive to get to Hollyhead and want to make sure I'm leaving in time. Last ferry is 8.30pm. I could play it safe and book the 2.40 am Sunday one but I'd really like to make it back on Saturday.

I picked up a car from the south of England last year - left there around lunchtime - it pissed rain all the way back to Holyhead and the traffic on the M6 was dreadful. Got to Chester/north Wales, the traffic eased and gunned it all the way to Holyhead (as much as you can gun a 30 year old car). I'd say I was within 15 mins of departure, one of the last cars on, if not the last. Get a priority boarding ticket and they prob won't moan at you for cutting it fine, they didn't give me any grief whatsoever anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement