Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

I received my VRT appointment email and in the documents required there is no mention of the "Declaration Form for the Registration of a new Vehicle/ Motorcycle" as opposed to the VRT FAQ https://www.ncts.ie/1155

Does this mean that this declaration is no longer required and the VRTVPD2 on its own is enough?

Can anyone who recently completed the VRT procedure confirm?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Amouar wrote: »
    I received my VRT appointment email and in the documents required there is no mention of the "Declaration Form for the Registration of a new Vehicle/ Motorcycle" as opposed to the VRT FAQ https://www.ncts.ie/1155

Does this mean that this declaration is no longer required and the VRTVPD2 on its own is enough?

Can anyone who recently completed the VRT procedure confirm?

Thanks

I had that one filled and gave it to the guy at VRT inspection, he said he didnt need it, I explained it said in the FAQ that I had to fill it so he took it but he said it wasnt necessary.

Since it not difficult to fill I would bring it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

mrboswell wrote: »
    Do you know of any issue with buying a car and using a friends UK address and then sorting it from over here?

Didn't ask. I had an issue with a dealer in Glasgow years ago, not wanting to give V5 and trying to tax the car. He said, if I was to buy a car off them again that I could use a family members address in the North. So, I guess you could do it. Only thing is its putting another owner on the logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

masit wrote: »
    Didn't ask. I had an issue with a dealer in Glasgow years ago, not wanting to give V5 and trying to tax the car. He said, if I was to buy a car off them again that I could use a family members address in the North. So, I guess you could do it. Only thing is its putting another owner on the logbook.

I mean buy in your own name with UK address and then bring it home - that wouldn't count as another owner would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 updownup

Anybody have any info on purchasing a car from uk with primary medical care cert ..
    Vat vrt ??
    Vat qualifying car where i claim it back
    Will garages over there do it for u seems to be a grey area ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Hello, back again with one more question... I have found the pick up I want in Belfast, everything checks out and I'm planning on collecting this Friday but the issue is insurance.

I have a private policy and full NCB but the pick up requires a commercial policy so my normal insurance cannot be transferred over.

My insurer has given me the option to mirror my NCB onto a new commercial policy so that I can keep both vehicles insured. I only need to keep my car covered until I sell it however they have told me that once I do this and cancel the car policy I would then not be using my NCB and I would lose it (despite it being active on the new commercial policy) No amount of questions could draw a logical answer out of the "customer Service" agent I was dealing with.

So, does anyone have any experience of getting short term commercial insurance when exporting a vehicle? or does such a thing even exist!

Thanks.

Okay, so I’ve chosen the car, gone for test drive and just had it checked out and everything is good to go. The dealers are in Northern Ireland and they’ve given me the option of having the car delivered down here, which is something I’m definitely going to take them up on (saves the petrol up and back on the current car and diesel back on the ‘new’ one). I’m waiting on confirmation of payment going through and then we’re good to go, should have the car by the end of the week.
    I just want to make sure I have all of the next steps covered, and I’m not missing out on anything:

1. Documents – I need the full V5C cert from the dealer. What else should I be asking him for? The VRTVPD2 form, does that come from the dealer?
    2. Insurance – Have all the relevant quotes sorted, so just have to initiate payment etc. so that’s all fine.
    3. VRT & NCT – Car is only 3 years old so shouldn’t require NCT for another year (correct?). VRT has to be booked within a week and registered within a month (also correct?).
    4. I’ve tried to book in the VRT appointment just now but it says there’s none available, and I should ring. Do they just give me a cancellation appointment or something or do they try squeeze you in some day? Also, the VRT seems high from the calculation, has anyone ever had any joy with appealing this figure?
    5. Do I get Irish plates at the NCT centre there and then or what’s the story? Do I just get the 151-D-xxx number and I can buy plates anywhere I wish?
    6. Tax – How long do I have before it must be taxed? Can I pay the tax now, before I get the car or do I need to wait ‘til it’s registered?

Is that it or am I missing anything obvious?

Okay, so I’ve chosen the car, gone for test drive and just had it checked out and everything is good to go. The dealers are in Northern Ireland and they’ve given me the option of having the car delivered down here, which is something I’m definitely going to take them up on (saves the petrol up and back on the current car and diesel back on the ‘new’ one). I’m waiting on confirmation of payment going through and then we’re good to go, should have the car by the end of the week.
    I just want to make sure I have all of the next steps covered, and I’m not missing out on anything:

1. Documents – I need the full V5C cert from the dealer. What else should I be asking him for? The VRTVPD2 form, does that come from the dealer?
    2. Insurance – Have all the relevant quotes sorted, so just have to initiate payment etc. so that’s all fine.
    3. VRT & NCT – Car is only 3 years old so shouldn’t require NCT for another year (correct?). VRT has to be booked within a week and registered within a month (also correct?).
    4. I’ve tried to book in the VRT appointment just now but it says there’s none available, and I should ring. Do they just give me a cancellation appointment or something or do they try squeeze you in some day? Also, the VRT seems high from the calculation, has anyone ever had any joy with appealing this figure?
    5. Do I get Irish plates at the NCT centre there and then or what’s the story? Do I just get the 151-D-xxx number and I can buy plates anywhere I wish?
    6. Tax – How long do I have before it must be taxed? Can I pay the tax now, before I get the car or do I need to wait ‘til it’s registered?

Is that it or am I missing anything obvious?

1) do the history check such as motorcheck.ie or smth like that
    2) V5C and the invoice and any service history in whatever form they can provide, I also had a milage certification signed by the dealer, they gave me the order form too and also the breakdown of the options and price on them when car was new
    3) Insurance - since I already had a policy I called and asked to put the UK reg on my insurance which they did for 30 days
    4) VRT - I booked one in Kilkenny, it was like 1am when I was browsing what was available and that came up otherwise I would be waiting till 14th september and that was not an option, just keep on checking not just the place thats nearest to you, I didn't mind the drive to Kilkenny anyway
    5) fill the forms, VRTVPD2, take an invoice with you, 2 utility bills or bank statment and utility bill, your PPS number on some official paper or social services card, drivers licence or passport and I think that's it bring it all with you for the VRT inspection
    6) you can pay for the VRT in your city, in any NCT center I believe not just the ones that do the inspections, once you paid they will give you your REG it will be based on your address (so if in Dublin you'll get fancy D)
    7) DO NOT LET ANY FU**ER put the plates on for you - don't make the mistake I did, go buy plates and bring them home and put them on yourself :)
    8) once you have irish plates get your insurance sorted and paid and you then will be able to pay the motor tax using the last 6 digits of the VIN as your pin number (it takes day or two from the moment you pay VRT to get this all activated in the whatever system they are using)
    9) get all the discs in the post and display them on the windshield and you're done
    10) DO NOT LET ANY FU**ER put the plates on for you... :)

Hope this helps.

omri wrote: »
    1) do the history check such as motorcheck.ie or smth like that done the HPI check while up the north, presume this is the same?
    2) V5C and the invoice and any service history in whatever form they can provide, I also had a milage certification signed by the dealer, they gave me the order form too and also the breakdown of the options and price on them when car was new Will ask for all of these, good to know
    3) Insurance - since I already had a policy I called and asked to put the UK reg on my insurance which they did for 30 days
    4) VRT - I booked one in Kilkenny, it was like 1am when I was browsing what was available and that came up otherwise I would be waiting till 14th september and that was not an option, just keep on checking not just the place thats nearest to you, I didn't mind the drive to Kilkenny anyway Spoke to them there and the earliest I could get was 24th Sept in Dublin. Am I as well off seeing if I can get one earlier in a centre further away? Is there a "cancellation" list you can go on? I'd have booked this ages ago if I was aware the waiting list was so long.
    5) fill the forms, VRTVPD2, take an invoice with you, 2 utility bills or bank statment and utility bill, your PPS number on some official paper or social services card, drivers licence or passport and I think that's it bring it all with you for the VRT inspection Excellent, thanks for this.
    6) you can pay for the VRT in your city, in any NCT center I believe not just the ones that do the inspections, once you paid they will give you your REG it will be based on your address (so if in Dublin you'll get fancy D) Thanks, I plan on paying it there and then. Max debit card transaction (2.5k) plus bank draft for the remainder. Might just get bank draft for the full amount.
    7) DO NOT LET ANY FU**ER put the plates on for you - don't make the mistake I did, go buy plates and bring them home and put them on yourself :)Noticed that other thread on the plates alright. I'll do it myself.
    8) once you have irish plates get your insurance sorted and paid and you then will be able to pay the motor tax using the last 6 digits of the VIN as your pin number (it takes day or two from the moment you pay VRT to get this all activated in the whatever system they are using).......:)
    9) get all the discs in the post and display them on the windshield and you're done .......:D
    10) DO NOT LET ANY FU**ER put the plates on for you... :).......:pac:

Hope this helps.

Cheers, that's a great help. I'd appreciate any other input from anyone who has appealed their VRT figure.

Cheers, that's a great help. I'd appreciate any other input from anyone who has appealed their VRT figure.

I didn't yet. Not sure if I will. I was bit annoyed as the person taking the VRT payment clicked "process" button so she was not able to give me the break down of how this was calculated and for which options I was charged. So remember to ask before she/he hits OK.

Bank draft took like 5 min in the bank, and €2.50. Quick and easy.

For the VRT just book one and then if you find something sooner within say 200km radius just book that one and keep on checking. I was booked on 14th, then 11th and then I found 3rd of Sept and went with this one. So just log in with Manage Existing Booking option and keep on checking/changing as needed.

Since motorcheck did report on english reg I'm sure it's all the same. My car had a Finance on it, which surprised me but that was just how the dealership purchased that car, and they sent papers to bank which cleared it.

You need to have the car insured before you can pay motor tax, they will ask you for the insurance policy number, date and who is the insurer.

• Advertisement

omri wrote: »
    For the VRT just book one and then if you find something sooner within say 200km radius just book that one and keep on checking. I was booked on 14th, then 11th and then I found 3rd of Sept and went with this one. So just log in with Manage Existing Booking option and keep on checking/changing as needed.

You little dancer, just did the above and got a booking in my nearest centre a week earlier than my previous booking. Fair play.

If you do appeal the VRT I'd be interested to know how you get on. I've heard that a very low percentage are appealed, but that a very high percentage of appeals result in a refund of some of the tax.

You little dancer, just did the above and got a booking in my nearest centre a week earlier than my previous booking. Fair play.

If you do appeal the VRT I'd be interested to know how you get on. I've heard that a very low percentage are appealed, but that a very high percentage of appeals result in a refund of some of the tax.

I had a look, but since I don't know how they calculated the vrt (especially above what the calculator showed me) I just don't know what would my basis be. I was told by the dealer in the North that you should take the value of the options listed in the original sale invoice (the dealer should be able to provide it) and use 10% if that converted to € and put it on top. So they went around 500-600 above what I was expecting the final price would be.

Maybe someone here knows better how they calculate that. My extras were around 4500-4700GBP, but revenue included €6294 worth of extras.

Yeah, not sure what burden of proof there is on you to prove you think the figure is too high.

How long does it usualy take for the VRTd car to show up on the insurers database? I’m shopping around for the insurance and at the moment my irish reg is not recognised. Some insurers have my model listed in manual search others don’t which limits my choices for quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Does anyone knows how long it takes applus to issue an NCT cert based on the UK MOT?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

GF brought the car down for inspection yesterday.

First off he wouldn't except the online bank statement or the online waste collection statement as proof of address. I sent her a link to the revenue website showing what they accept, but when she went back with it, she didnt have to mention it, he just accepted them? :confused:

He also said we didnt have a ferry ticket and the car was in Ireland more than 30 days.. The car was bought in the north. The car is only in the republic 18 days. (it obviously came from the uk mainland a few weeks before we bought it)

We even had a dated invoice from the guy in the North we got the car from.

Anyway there's a €180 fine on the VRT because of this, what are the odds of getting it back if we appeal it?

Refer to that vrt manual I linked, there’s a section on appealing the late payment penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Hi, I think this has been asked before, but I don't see an answer. It's my third car bought up North and can't believe I allowed this to happen. But, I left without the full V5C, only the part that a new owner who lives in UK gets, which isn't enough for registering here. I called the seller and he has already sent it off to the DVLA with my name/address as the new owner. As far as I know they won't complete the change. So, what happens to the V5C form? How do I get hold of it? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you'll have to apply for an export cert, which takes a little time and will result in extra VRT probably. Sorry for your pain

Isambard wrote: »
    you'll have to apply for an export cert, which takes a little time and will result in extra VRT probably. Sorry for your pain
    Do you mean in terms of being over the 30 days as a fine, or actually more VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

late VRT penalty fines.

plodder wrote: »
    Do you mean in terms of being over the 30 days as a fine, or actually more VRT?

I'm not sure they call it a fine, it's an extra amount of VRT I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

garv123 wrote: »
    GF brought the car down for inspection yesterday.

First off he wouldn't except the online bank statement or the online waste collection statement as proof of address. I sent her a link to the revenue website showing what they accept, but when she went back with it, she didnt have to mention it, he just accepted them? :confused:

He also said we didnt have a ferry ticket and the car was in Ireland more than 30 days.. The car was bought in the north. The car is only in the republic 18 days. (it obviously came from the uk mainland a few weeks before we bought it)

We even had a dated invoice from the guy in the North we got the car from.

Anyway there's a €180 fine on the VRT because of this, what are the odds of getting it back if we appeal it?

The odds are good if you appeal it and your story makes sense.
    In my own case they wouldn't take the ferry invoice as date of entry and instead went with the intended date of export I'd entered on the export cert application form which as it turned out was weeks before the car was eventually collected from the UK. On appeal I got a full refund of the late penalty extra charge.

Isambard wrote: »
    I'm not sure they call it a fine, it's an extra amount of VRT I thought
    Both arguably since it seems to be 0.1% of the VRT per day. Next question is if it's backdated to the date of importation, or from the day you are late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Can transferwise do instant bank transfers on a weekend?

I paid for a car before with it and the transfer to a UK account (from a pre-loaded Transferwise account) was instantaneous. But I'm looking at picking up a car on a Saturday and worried about it but working instantaneously.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Can transferwise do instant bank transfers on a weekend?

I paid for a car before with it and the transfer to a UK account (from a pre-loaded Transferwise account) was instantaneous. But I'm looking at picking up a car on a Saturday and worried about it but working instantaneously.

Depending on the place youre buying from, I did the payment to Transferwises account on Friday, they got it same day and it went out to the dealers account same day. Not sure exactly when it arrived but since Monday was a bank holiday overthere their accounts department only confirmed the payment on Tuesday.

Despite sending all the necessary confirmations on Friday and despite them receiving the email from Transferwise that cash hit their account they waited with car preparation untill it all has been confirmed by theirs account dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fingal Raven1

Hi guys, the 2 dealers I went to both insisted I need a British address is there a way around this?

Hi guys, the 2 dealers I went to both insisted I need a British address is there a way around this?

British address for what?

yup go somewhere else, there's loads who will deal with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

It sounds like the dealer is trying to transfer ownership to you, are they aware that you are exporting and would not have a UK address and therefore no need to transfer ownership.

Also as Isambard mentions, don't be afraid to walk away as there is plenty of choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement