Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Hopefully positively for us!

I'd doubt it myself. If they leave the Customs Union (which will happen with a no deal outcome) then anything newly registered after that date will be liable to VAT as well as VRT if imported to Ireland as it's coming from outside the EU and never had VAT paid before within the EU. That will make importing from the UK less attractive to Irish buyers in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt it myself. If they leave the Customs Union (which will happen with a no deal outcome) then anything newly registered after that date will be liable to VAT as well as VRT if imported to Ireland as it's coming from outside the EU and never had VAT paid before within the EU. That will make importing from the UK less attractive to Irish buyers in the long term.

And for dealers? Knowing that a lot of their trade comes from the UK

I can actually see the price of used cars here increasing given you will have less choice and little or no competition from cheaper UK imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

TRS30 wrote: »

On motorcheck it is 149. Vrt calculated as €3877.

• Advertisement

All in all wrote: »

On motorcheck it is 149. Vrt calculated as €3877.
    Thanks.
    Which version did you pick on the VRT calculator to get that figure?
    When I put in 2.0 TDCI TITANIUM 161BHP 5DR A it give a figure of €4.5K however the CO2 is 159kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Thanks.
    When I put in 2.0 TDCI TITANIUM 161BHP 5DR A it give a figure of €4.5K however the CO2 is 159kg.

I used the motorcheck vrt calculator. I always find it accurate.

All in all wrote: »
    Thanks.

I used the motorcheck vrt calculator. I always find it accurate.
    Thanks again.
    According to Motorcheck that is a 140PS version which I believe has 138BPH however the ad says it has 161BHP.
    CO2 seems right however BHP seems off.

Adverts can be incorrect. The correct data will be listed on the car's V5C registration documents. Ultimately this is what the VRT people go off.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Adverts can be incorrect.  The correct data will be listed on the car's V5C registration documents.  Ultimately this is what the VRT people go off.
    True.

Is the PS on the V5C or just the BHP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Have run into a bit of a problem with vrt. I thought I had changed my address with the bank when I got my mortgage (still haven’t moved into the house I bought) but didn’t and I have no other way of proving I live here, bills etc. would my insurance work instead as that gets sent here? Only other thing that says my address is my payslip which is online.

Edit: road tax on previous car also has this address

I can get the address changed with the bank now although the appointment is 8am Tuesday so I don’t even think I will be able to get one by then and if I did it would be an e statement.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Have run into a bit of a problem with vrt. I thought I had changed my address with the bank when I got my mortgage (still haven’t moved into the house I bought) but didn’t and I have no other way of proving I live here, bills etc. would my insurance work instead as that gets sent here? Only other thing that says my address is my payslip which is online.

Edit: road tax on previous car also has this address

I can get the address changed with the bank now although the appointment is 8am Tuesday so I don’t even think I will be able to get one by then and if I did it would be an e statement.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Are you still living in the house your statement is addressed to? If so just register it in that address and change it afterwards. You can change the address by filling out the back of the registration cert and sending it back to Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Are you still living in the house your statement is addressed to? If so just register it in that address and change it afterwards. You can change the address by filling out the back of the registration cert and sending it back to Shannon
    its the parents house in Donegal. I wouldn't be able to get the statement by the time of the appointment and also don't want a Donegal reg as the thing will be hard enough to move on when the time comes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Correspondence from an Insurance company with your name and address will be sufficient for the VRT process.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

I have my appointment in the VRT centre on Thursday. Can anyone break down exactly what I will need with me on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Negative_G

stuba wrote: »
    I have my appointment in the VRT centre on Thursday. Can anyone break down exactly what I will need with me on Thursday?

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

Question 3.

Anyone know roughly how long it takes Dekra to do a vehicle check once you request one online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

When we registered the other day, they complained that the invoice didn't specifically show that it was from Northern Ireland. It just had the seller's name and a phone number on it. They accepted it anyway, but I would have been fairly peed off given that the link above doesn't say anything about this. If the car had a regular UK reg I wonder if they might have complained more.

Last question I promise in the declaration for a new/used vehicle in section B. What are they looking for when they ask "Country whence consigned"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

stuba wrote: »
    Last question I promise in the declaration for a new/used vehicle in section B. What are they looking for when they ask "Country whence consigned"?

I put UK in that as it was suggested in this thread at some point.

Also the guy who did VrT said they didnt need that page, if I remember right he said they never need that page but I had it so he took it anyway.

• Advertisement

omri wrote: »
    I put UK in that as it was suggested in this thread at some point.

Also the guy who did VrT said they didnt need that page, if I remember right he said they never need that page but I had it so he took it anyway.

Perfect I might just put that down for both parts so just incase. I'm sure itll be fine. Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mercs350d

Anyone know roughly how long it takes Dekra to do a vehicle check once you request one online?

I requested an inspection with them last friday online at 10AM by 1pm it was booked in for the following monday... got the report monday evening @ 6pm.

Mercs350d wrote: »

I requested an inspection with them last friday online at 10AM by 1pm it was booked in for the following monday... got the report monday evening @ 6pm.
    Thanks.

Did you have to ring the engineer? How did you find the inspection?

Thanks.

They send you an email with the engineers name and number and tell you to ring him direct between 5pm & 8pm on the day of inspection.

It was ok, he only found two tiny stone chips which he talked to the dealer about and the dealer emailed me to say he would sort it.

Inspection itself was ok not as good as i expected:

* Didnt test all the electronics e.g. reversing camera etc

* No lift was available so he used jack and axle stands, said there was alot of underside was covered so restricted the inspection.

* Alot of small print to cover themselves it seems.

All in all it was ok, good if you cant get to view the car directly yourself.

Thanks.

They send you an email with the engineers name and number and tell you to ring him direct between 5pm & 8pm on the day of inspection.

It was ok, he only found two tiny stone chips which he talked to the dealer about and the dealer emailed me to say he would sort it.

Inspection itself was ok not as good as i expected:

* Didnt test all the electronics e.g. reversing camera etc

* No lift was available so he used jack and axle stands, said there was alot of underside was covered so restricted the inspection.

* Alot of small print to cover themselves it seems.

All in all it was ok, good if you cant get to view the car directly yourself.
    Not what I was hoping. I assumed it would be comprehensive check of everything.
    did you go for the most expensive one (£182)?

Not what I was hoping. I assumed it would be comprehensive check of everything.
    did you go for the most expensive one (£182)?

Yes thats the one.... over priced for what it is I feel.

He also only drove the car 5 miles up to a speed of 30mph..... not much of a test for that money i think.

Yes thats the one.... over priced for what it is I feel.

He also only drove the car 5 miles up to a speed of 30mph..... not much of a test for that money i think.

Agree, I was expecting more for the money. Did you ring the engineer?

I rang and no answer however he rang back soon after and we had a good chat for about 30 mins. Got a much better feel for the car and he was able to give his personal opinion. Made up for the rather generic report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Bit of an odd one, the V4C says the car is a Quattro and it's not, confirmed by Audi UK.

What will the VRT section's reaction be to this, do they pull the spec from DVLA or do they have links into the dealer system. From recollection on a previous import, they were able to pull the full spec down from somewhere including details the DVLA don't have.

Am I looking at a lengthy process of changing DVLA details, getting a new V4C and then registering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

AmberGold wrote: »
    Bit of an odd one, the V4C says the car is a Quattro and it's not, confirmed by Audi UK.

What will the VRT section's reaction be to this, do they pull the spec from DVLA or do they have links into the dealer system. From recollection on a previous import, they were able to pull the full spec down from somewhere including details the DVLA don't have.

Am I looking at a lengthy process of changing DVLA details, getting a new V4C and then registering?

Details are all pulled from the V5. I'd be getting a check done to make sure the car isn't dodgy as it's unusual that it would be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

OK, a week ago I explained how I had went through the VRT process without any issue. Purchased a car from a main dealer up north, and VRTed no problem. Today I get a letter from the driver and vehicle licencing agency in Swansea. It says that I've requested a V561 Export Certificate but that in order to do so I must use a V756 application form. I have no clue what this letter is about as I requested nothing, and the car is already on Irish plates. Anyone able to enlighten me? Do I need to do anything or just ignore this letter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement