Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

TRS30 wrote: »
    So I'm heading over next week to pick up a car from the UK. Am I right in thinking that the documents I need to get from the dealer are;

-Full V5C document
    -MOT Cert
    -Invoice for sale

Anything else? Does the dealer need to fill in/sign any part of the V5C?
    I assume their VAT number will be on the invoice.

seems good to me, the dealer needs do nothing with the V5C except hand it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

See if the dealer will tax it on your behalf for the trip back to the ferry port.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

bazz26 wrote: »
    See if the dealer will tax it on your behalf for the trip back to the ferry port.
    I mentioned this on the phone and the guy I spoke with didn't seem too sure how it worked. I thought you needed a UK address to tax the car?
    To be honest I wasn't going to bother and if I was stopped just explain I'm on my way to the ferry, showing invoice ferry ticket etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I mentioned this on the phone and the guy I spoke with didn't seem too sure how it worked. I thought you needed a UK address to tax the car?
    To be honest I wasn't going to bother and if I was stopped just explain I'm on my way to the ferry, showing invoice ferry ticket etc,

They should do it no problem and if it's a low tax car ie. £30 it makes sense to avoid the hassle. You can log on yourself and do it, no post code needed anymore and it takes less than 5mins to complete.

If you were buying from a private individual and the car was taxed I wouldn't bother as it won't show up as untaxed until the change of ownership goes through, but from garages it's slightly different as they do a temp transfer of ownership to the garage and you don't know how long it's been sitting there untaxed. I brought a car back 2 weeks ago and was stopped 15mins away from the dealership as it flagged for no tax... luckily I'd just taxed it online and had proof of it on my phone. The cop was sound about it when i explained i was exporting the car and heading straight for the ferry but you won't always meet a sound one and it's an on the spot fine if stopped..

They should do it no problem and if it's a low tax car ie. £30 it makes sense to avoid the hassle. You can log on yourself and do it, no post code needed anymore and it takes less than 5mins to complete.

If you were buying from a private individual and the car was taxed I wouldn't bother as it won't show up as untaxed until the change of ownership goes through, but from garages it's slightly different as they do a temp transfer of ownership to the garage and you don't know how long it's been sitting there untaxed. I brought a car back 2 weeks ago and was stopped 15mins away from the dealership as it flagged for no tax... luckily I'd just taxed it online and had proof of it on my phone. The cop was sound about it when i explained i was exporting the car and heading straight for the ferry but you won't always meet a sound one and it's an on the spot fine if stopped..
    I think it about £150odd as is 149kg. Can you pay it monthly and cancel after one payment?
    I assume you used the 'taxing vehicle as a new keeper' option and used the 12 digit number on the green slip?

• Advertisement

You can pay by card for 6 months and get a partial refund of the unused tax from the DVLA when you get home. If you want to pay for 1 month then you need a UK bank account as it involves setting up a direct debit.

You can pay by card for 6 months and get a partial refund of the unused tax from the DVLA when you get home.  If you want to pay for 1 month then you need a UK bank account as it involves setting up a direct debit.
    So checked there and is £85 for 6 months! How do I prove when the car left the country to get a refund? Will they refund 184 days worth??

Revenue normally inform the DVLA that the car is permanently exported when you VRT it here. The UK dealer can write to the DVLA also once you have it bought.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ok I'm off on the redeye tomorrow.

3 cars shortlisted. Return flights, car hire, car hire excess insurance, airport parking etc. all booked.

I spoke to Transfermate who sound like they are on the ball on €/£STG rates and immediate transfers.

How have I done so far?

Documentation wise:

-Full V5C document
    -MOT Cert
    -Invoice for sale

Have I left anything out?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

3 cars shortlisted. Return flights, car hire, car hire excess insurance, airport parking etc. all booked.

I spoke to Transfermate who sound like they are on the ball on €/£STG rates and immediate transfers.

How have I done so far?

Documentation wise:

-Full V5C document
    -MOT Cert
    -Invoice for sale

What cars are u looking at.Do u need to book a ferry or just turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Polomurf

Hi All,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, first time posting on boards and not sure where to post message....

I'm finally looking to buy a 2012/2013 640d M sport coupe in January and I can't wait!!! :D
    I will be importing the vehicle from the UK to Ireland.
    I was hoping someone out there could be of some help with a few questions I have about buying this beautiful coupe.

I have little to no expertise when it comes to negotiating or haggeling sale prices of cars and I'm very unsure how UK car dealers advertise their prices, do they advertise their prices above the expected sale price? If so roughly by how much generally?

The Cars currently in my price range are between 13,995 and 14,999 advertised on autotrader. The mileage ranges from 80-140K miles depending on listing. Note Max budget for this car is £15,000 I'm afraid :( and I will be paying in full with cash so no finance or trade in to deal with.

# How much can I expect to haggel/take off the sale price from a dealer in the UK and the same if a Private sale?
    # How much do car prices drop in January? Does it take a while for dealers to update their prices?
    # What would be too high mileage you would walk away from for a 5-6 year old 640d? I'm considering a 2013 one with 117K miles but the mileage has me double thinking?!?
    # Any optional add-ons you think is an absolute must for this BMW? I've read some reviews which say the reverse camera is essential? But to me it just sounds like stabilizers for people who can't park/drive properly....
    # Any tips for when inspecting\checking the car?
    # Not really car related but on the off chance you might be able to help, do any of you know the cheapest ferry company to transport car from UK to Ireland?

Best case scenario and what I would love to happen is to get a 2012/2013 640d M sport coupe with around 80K miles for about £11,000. Do you guys think this would be realistic in January 2019?

Thanks in advance for all your help and replies!
    Polomurf91

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ballybro wrote: »
    What cars are u looking at.Do u need to book a ferry or just turn up.

Car is a state secret (for now).

If it (hopefully) comes to it I'll just book a ferry online.

How have I done so far?

Documentation wise:

-Full V5C document
    -MOT Cert
    -Invoice for sale

Motor Tax unless you feel lucky.
    Car is a state secret (for now).

If it (hopefully) comes to it I'll just book a ferry online.

If book a premium ticket it allows you to change your ferry departure time up to 2 hours before departure in the event you get delayed. It also allows you access to the premium lounge on the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Polomurf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, first time posting on boards and not sure where to post message....

I'm finally looking to buy a 2012/2013 640d M sport coupe in January and I can't wait!!! :D
    I will be importing the vehicle from the UK to Ireland.
    I was hoping someone out there could be of some help with a few questions I have about buying this beautiful coupe.

I have little to no expertise when it comes to negotiating or haggeling sale prices of cars and I'm very unsure how UK car dealers advertise their prices, do they advertise their prices above the expected sale price? If so roughly by how much generally?

The Cars currently in my price range are between 13,995 and 14,999 advertised on autotrader. The mileage ranges from 80-140K miles depending on listing. Note Max budget for this car is £15,000 I'm afraid :( and I will be paying in full with cash so no finance or trade in to deal with.

# How much can I expect to haggel/take off the sale price from a dealer in the UK and the same if a Private sale?
    # How much do car prices drop in January? Does it take a while for dealers to update their prices?
    # What would be too high mileage you would walk away from for a 5-6 year old 640d? I'm considering a 2013 one with 117K miles but the mileage has me double thinking?!?
    # Any optional add-ons you think is an absolute must for this BMW? I've read some reviews which say the reverse camera is essential? But to me it just sounds like stabilizers for people who can't park/drive properly....
    # Not really car related but on the off chance you might be able to help, do any of you know the cheapest ferry company to transport car from UK to Ireland?

Best case scenario and what I would love to happen is to get a 2012/2013 640d M sport coupe with around 80K miles for about £11,000. Do you guys think this would be realistic in January 2019?

Thanks in advance for all your help and replies!
    Polomurf91

> Not a whole lot, if buying from a dealer, most wont budge too much £100-200 usually. Privately is better to get a bigger discount.
    > The reg changes happen differently in the UK, you could expect a small discount but I doubt you'd be saving a huge amount.
    > I have a 2013 5 Series with similar mileage and its like new, once you have a cast iron service history and the car checked out you should be fine.
    > A reversing camera is something I should have got in my 5Series, The 6 Series doesnt have a great view out the back window so it might actually be of use to you. Widescreen Nav is also a must.. Id imagine Bixenons etc are all standard on a 6 series. 
    > Dekra, AA and others do this for a fee. I got my last car checked by a main dealer close to the seller, Cost £50 and was worth it in my opinion. Have a read of this post, plenty of opinions on both Dekra and AA.

> Last car I brought in and all were in or around the same price. If coming Liverpool/Dublin P&O do a cheaper ferry but its 8 hours crossing. Stena and Irish Ferries tend to be within 10 quid of each other but look out for day trip deals.. They do sometimes show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

I'm still waiting for my tax refund cheque to arrive. They told me that they posted it more than 2 weeks ago, but still no sign for it.

For those who received their refund cheque, how long did it take to arrive?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Amouar wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my tax refund cheque to arrive. They told me that they posted it more than 2 weeks ago, but still no sign for it.

For those who received their refund cheque, how long did it take to arrive?

Thanks

I'm fairly sure I got mine within 2 weeks of me sending them my bank details. They directly deposited it in my account, no cheque. Maybe you could check your account to see if it's already in there?

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I got mine within 2 weeks of me sending them my bank details. They directly deposited it in my account, no cheque. Maybe you could check your account to see if it's already in there?

They told me that they already sent a cheque. I didn't know that it was possible to receive the refund via a bank transfer therefore I didn't send them my bank details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Brought the car in for the VRT on Fri. They took the details and said they’d call back with a figure, anyone an idea re how long this is taking at the moment?

Cash burning a hole in my pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

AmberGold wrote: »
    Brought the car in for the VRT on Fri. They took the details and said they’d call back with a figure, anyone an idea re how long this is taking at the moment?

Cash burning a hole in my pocket!

It can take upto 10 days, unlikely though. Youll probably receive the call tomorrow. They generally make those calls weds-friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

OK,

So I took the plunge, car being delivered to the ferry on Friday morning.

Just to confirm the documents that I need from the dealer in the UK:

1. V5C form
    2. Invoice to prove purchase

Car is under 3 years old, so no need for MOT.

What happens to the UK Vehicle Registration Certificate? Should I get this or the dealer fills in the change of ownership on that?

• Advertisement

OK,

So I took the plunge, car being delivered to the ferry on Friday morning.

Just to confirm the documents that I need from the dealer in the UK:

1. V5C form
    2. Invoice to prove purchase

Car is under 3 years old, so no need for MOT.

What happens to the UK Vehicle Registration Certificate? Should I get this or the dealer fills in the change of ownership on that?

They don't need to fill anything. They need to hand the full V5C form to you.

How did you arrange for the car to be delivered in the ferry? will you collect directly from Holyhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Amouar wrote: »
    They don't need to fill anything. They need to hand the full V5C form to you.

How did you arrange for the car to be delivered in the ferry? will you collect directly from Holyhead?

So the full V5C includes the Vehicle Registration Certificate?

In my DEKRA report there are two pictures of documents, one is the V5C, which has the registered keeper and the other is the UK registration Certificate which has vehicle details, VIN etc ...

I need both of these yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

So the full V5C includes the Vehicle Registration Certificate?

In my DEKRA report there are two pictures of documents, one is the V5C, which has the registered keeper and the other is the UK registration Certificate which has vehicle details, VIN etc ...

I need both of these yes?

The V5C is the Vehicle Registration Cert; they are not separate things. Make sure they understand you need to have it as it’s a different process for domestic sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Has anyone ever dealt with PMA Cars in Newry? Thinking of buying a car from them next week. I did a quick check on company house and they have been in existence since 2015 but can't find much else about them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

michellie wrote: »
    It can take upto 10 days, unlikely though. Youll probably receive the call tomorrow. They generally make those calls weds-friday.

Sure enough got the text today!

Motor Tax unless you feel lucky.

If book a premium ticket it allows you to change your ferry departure time up to 2 hours before departure in the event you get delayed. It also allows you access to the premium lounge on the ferry.

Bought privately so I have the entire cert. UK tax is still on it presumably? The entire inspection and negotiation was easy, and fun too. HPI checked, service history checked and verified. The car is very clean with very low miles (above 6k).

VRT appointment being booked today. Quote is decent enough but there are a lot of extras on the car so they'll cost a bit more.

Insurance transfer was a doddle.

Hats off to Transfermate - Took a bit of doing but once we'd added the recepient they ran with the payment immediately. Got a email confirming the transfer, and the seller rang back within minutes confirming the receipt of cleared funds. The exchange rate was very keen also.

Booked a ferry on the phone over breakfast yesterday. We were within 90 mins of Holyhead (in Chester) having broken the back of the long road trip Tuesday evening. Got there at 12.20pm, scanned the bar code from the confirmation email at the check in, and were on board pretty early. Booked a cabin (recommended).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I suppose you know your way away round a car, did you do the inspection yourself?

and..........what car did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Bought privately so I have the entire cert. UK tax is still on it presumably? The entire inspection and negotiation was easy, and fun too. HPI checked, service history checked and verified. The car is very clean with very low miles (above 6k).

VRT appointment being booked today. Quote is decent enough but there are a lot of extras on the car so they'll cost a bit more.

Insurance transfer was a doddle.

Hats off to Transfermate - Took a bit of doing but once we'd added the recepient they ran with the payment immediately. Got a email confirming the transfer, and the seller rang back within minutes confirming the receipt of cleared funds. The exchange rate was very keen also.

Booked a ferry on the phone over breakfast yesterday. We were within 90 mins of Holyhead (in Chester) having broken the back of the long road trip Tuesday evening. Got there at 12.20pm, scanned the bar code from the confirmation email at the check in, and were on board pretty early. Booked a cabin (recommended).

Well wear!

Jesus, don't tell them anything about the extras. My vrt inspector just came out to verify that it was a car and checked the VIN. Also make sure you throw in an appeal too, don't let the tax man away that easy.

Mc Love wrote: »
    I suppose you know your way away round a car, did you do the inspection yourself?

and..........what car did you get?

I did ok. The car was so clean it really didn't take too long. 15 minute test drive was fun. It drove very well indeed. Handled like a go kart (clue there).

There's a lot of stuff in it which took some getting used to. Getting there now however....

Got a car specific VRT quote from Motorcheck.ie (enter reg and mileage) which would be really good if it's the final figure.

It's not my car so I really can't divulge the full details. Sorry.

p.s. Trip wise it was good, but full on. Early morning flight was fine after a 4.15am alarm call. Car hire was a bit chaotic (a diverted flight meant people were everywhere). Easyrent were cheap - A Kuga ST Line for €17 for 2 days! UK roads are pretty busy. We went Stansted - Norwich - Stansted (drop back rental car early) - and then booked a place in Chester which was a 4 hour drive. Did it in 3.5 hours. From there the boat was 90 minutes away. Dublin Port to the airport was easy using the port tunnel. Heavy traffic then on the M50 and M7 with 60kph limit due to roadworks. After that it was fine. We bought the first car we saw (proper due diligence) but I'd suggest a 2 night trip would be easier on the body if I was doing it again. Booking.com is really good.

• Advertisement

Last post for now......

We had return flights booked and obviously didn't show for the 2nd leg yesterday. As it turns out I got several emails from a certain budget airline firstly apologizing for the long delay, secondly offering us Stg£5 for food, and finally offering alternative options.

I applied for a refund. Seemed only fair to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement