Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Amouar wrote: »
    They don't need to fill anything. They need to hand the full V5C form to you.

How did you arrange for the car to be delivered in the ferry? will you collect directly from Holyhead?

I am getting the vehicle delivered to Irish Ferries who then drive it on and drive it off on the other side and keep it for me in Ireland. I was trying a service called shiply, but the dealer gave me the name of a service that does the same thing for less than the quotes I was getting on shiply. Cost me 140GBP + 20% VAT for 170 mile delivery. The freight cost was 200Euro plus 20% VAT. So it wasn't cheap (€400 total) but much less hassle than me flying over etc...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Last post for now......

We had return flights booked and obviously didn't show for the 2nd leg yesterday. As it turns out I got several emails from a certain budget airline firstly apologizing for the long delay, secondly offering us Stg£5 for food, and finally offering alternative options.

I applied for a refund. Seemed only fair to do so.

Update:

Seems a refund is being issued :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Can I ask, the first post talks about ferries etc, are the dealers in the North no good then?

My plan was to get a Kia from the North and drive it back down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kuro68k wrote: »
    Can I ask, the first post talks about ferries etc, are the dealers in the North no good then?

Higher standard of cars in the mainland, and more choice.

I was looking for something fairly specific with a certain spec and the range across the water was way better. Between engineer report and shifting the car to Ireland cost about €600. You need to factor in that cost into your total budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Mc Love wrote: »
    Higher standard of cars in the mainland, and more choice.

And cheaper prices (even when factoring flights, ferry etc )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ferry was v. pricey - STG£210 incl. cabin (booked last minute).

Ferry was v. pricey - STG£210 incl. cabin (booked last minute).

Booked mine ahead of time for 170€ , which included the premium lounge.

Amouar wrote: »
    Booked mine ahead of time for 170€ , which included the premium lounge.

Couldn't do that as I wasn't sure we'd actually buy.

Couldn't do that as I wasn't sure we'd actually buy.

The ticket I bought was fully flexible and can be cancelled for free before 2 hours of sailing time. So if I ended up not buying the car I would have been able to cancel the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Does anyone else bother washing their car once it's off the ferry?

Mine was on deck and got plenty of spray on it. As salt-water is highly corrosive I thought it best to give it a wash shortly after landing. Wondering what other people's opinions are on this.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Does anyone else bother washing their car once it's off the ferry?

Mine was on deck and got plenty of spray on it. As salt-water is highly corrosive I thought it best to give it a wash shortly after landing. Wondering what other people's opinions are on this.

Yes it's probably a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I am getting the vehicle delivered to Irish Ferries who then drive it on and drive it off on the other side and keep it for me in Ireland. I was trying a service called shiply, but the dealer gave me the name of a service that does the same thing for less than the quotes I was getting on shiply. Cost me 140GBP + 20% VAT for 170 mile delivery. The freight cost was 200Euro plus 20% VAT. So it wasn't cheap (€400 total) but much less hassle than me flying over etc...

What was the the name of the company that took the car to the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

clogher71 wrote: »
    What was the the name of the company that took the car to the ferry?

There's a load of ads on d0nedeal that will collect the car and bring to your door for around €400, or less if it's only to the ferryport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Anybody have issues with buying and insuring CAT c d n s ect. crashed but repaired cars? And also selling them in a few years.
    It's just really for myself so insurance would be the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

lalababa wrote: »
    Anybody have issues with buying and insuring CAT c d n s ect. crashed but repaired cars? And also selling them in a few years.
    It's just really for myself so insurance would be the big question.

No prob buying them but you won't ever hide the fact from the insurance companies should you have to claim at any point. Would be worth a call to make sure they will cover the class of write off your thinking of buying before you buy it. I did hear of someone being refused insurance as the car had previously been written off but I don't know what class of write off it was.. Cat D in most cases is light damage so shouldn't be a problem but anything else, well you need to call up your insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Morning,

Any chance that we will get rid of this fcukign rip off Paddy's tax on imported cars !?
    I felt in love with a car,validated all with UK sales man and the rip off cost is almost same value as the purchasing price and travel and lunch expenses...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah, just buy the same car here. It will already have the VRT paid...

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah, just buy the same car here. It will already have the VRT paid...

I know,thanks ...

A vehicle that in UK cost me €9,000 at garage gate,how the Revenue can charge me VRT of €8,200 , at a value determined by Revenue of ... €27,000 !??

Breakdown of VRT Calculation

Date:04/11/2018
    Time: 10:51

Rate of VRT:30%

Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue: €92855
    Odometer Reading: 225000 Miles
    Date of First Registration:January 2012
    Mileage/Kilometre Reduction: 0
    Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle: 69%
    Current OMSP determined by Revenue: €27633

How much does the same car cost to buy over here? Revenue don't really care how much you can buy the same car for in another country.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    How much does the same car cost to buy over here? Revenue don't really care how much you can buy the same car for in another country.

Thats the whole fcuking point...a local Irish registered car will have the rip-off VRT and VAT included and paid already ! Why do i have to refer my VRT charge to an official legal receipt and buying price to something that is already over-inflated to accomodate somebody or someone !?

I buy a piece of land,the seller agreed by "gentleman word" and hands shake (which is the most valuable argument in the real world compared with a signed paper) that i pay now €1,000 and every year i send a nice bag of potatos,how is my transaction been charged !? How does the Revenue can tell me that the land is not €1,000 but this is €5,000 cause that what the market pays or someone willing to pay that price based on some future prediction or heart relations !?

So,if i get paid wages €500 gross value,i am forced to pay my taxes based on what the payroll / payslip says... AND NOT on what some companies or individuals are willing to pay or get paid ! Right !??? Well, yes and not... i can bend the law but i cannot break it !

If that car from UK is €8,000 as based on an official private and/or comercial transaction because that's the REAL value of the car... no one outsider can tell what's the market value ... is made of four elements: vehicle, THE seller, THE price and THE buyer ... is the open market taken as VRT factor element:selling agreed price !!! In this case,the open market has determined that the best market value is the value that i'm willing to pay as a buyer and the seller is willing to accept,as a selling price.

I've seen two Irish registered cars,same type almost but prices varying from 9,500 to 12,500 based on the seller preference of flat tyres and other seller taste of colour or music ...
    It looks like something is right and wrong at the same time... just doesn't make any fcuking sense... any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

VRT is hardly rocket science surely. It's pretty self explanatory.

Keep looking, you'll find a good saving. It's hard not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Surely the whole point of using market rate for VRT is precisely so that you can't just offer the dealer a €10,000 "gift" and then pay €500 for the car and thus avoid paying much tax on it.

Surely the whole point of using market rate for VRT is precisely so that you can't just offer the dealer a €10,000 "gift" and then pay €500 for the car and thus avoid paying much tax on it.

Sorry...do you know of any dealer that could that !? If yes, can you tell me,please !?
    Otherwise, keep it smart to yourself...and between private deals.

Not lastly... how do you explain same car with major different market values based on owner attitude or belief that the car is worth his asking price ?!
    I think im going to bend it on this one topic ... looks like some people love paying their high VRT rate just to show that their car is more valuable that the car next parking slot...not questioning and pay it...there is a definition on this type of behaviour but just can't get it on my keyboard...

Did another calculation and the same number crunched in the systems came with different values.
    Asked a coleague about VRT and he said had similar issues... he was asked if the car has electric seats,electric windows,heated seats and sun roof...the price was just going higher until he said to the guy to go check it himself...

Going to take the bite,buy the car,bring it and show the evaluating staff the price of a simillar car on Donedeal.
    I will request that the charge to be based on the open market which i guess is fair enough and pay the rate that the owner request and not the value that a dealer thinks that the car is valued at,inclusive charge for office water and cleaning the toilets, paying staff and keeping the gate open..

Can't understand it, sorry,the system just doesn't make fcukign sense...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

rolion wrote: »
    Sorry...do you know of any dealer that could that !? If yes, can you tell me,please !?
    Otherwise, keep it smart to yourself...and between private deals.

Thanks.

He's saying that the system is set up the way it is to prevent people doing it.

Isambard wrote: »
    He's saying that the system is set up the way it is to prevent people doing it.

OK,fair enough,i'm not so tick.

We avoid these kind of situations where someone can "gift" the dealer with an amount of cash and pay less that the paper based declared value... Question is: can a dealer do that !? How many people needs to be involved in a deal like that and, do the garages from UK really bends their legal status to accomodate a fcuking car sales for a guy from "southern Ireland" !? Probable more in a private setup type of process,yes,i can see that doable...but...can i do translate the same with the dealer here in Ireland !?

Pain is some dealer brings a new car,buyer pay VRT and VAT . Then, i buy a second hand car from anywhere in Europe (with a free movement and market) but i have to pay taxes based on another taxes at a different market values and a different car health status and already inflated price.
    Like i'm changing jobs but i demand to be paid as on the job that another coleague has ... or ... another similar job !?

I'm not pissed on the tax,i know we're a small place and i have to pay for the houses and "errors" and all other social things...but why not charging me at the paid official receipt value issued by the seller !??

Not sure but, anyone here tried to challenge the whole VRT in a legal framework ? Does the official dealers are happy with the charges ? I cannot say a poor single individual will make any changes to the system but how is the VRT seen from the big guys' heights !? I read that many Irish garages are going to "buy and sell" from UK ...is that a normal healthy situation ?

Thanks

Am prepping for my VRT appointment later this week. I have a couple of questions:

1. VRT appointment states: "You bring the vehicle invoice containing the purchase price and date of purchase."
    I have a dated Sales Order that shows the price and that the balance on that is zero. Is this enough?

2. The VRTVPD2 has a section on the purchase price (inc VAT) and then the VAT also. The Sales Order simply states that it includes the VAT. I have no idea what the VAT is, as it is a 2nd hand vehicle. What should I do here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mercs350d

So took a 2017 Merc S350D in for the first vrt inspection today...

Its a AMG line model.

Couldnt give me an idea of the costs as they said its under 2 years old, I assume they are gonna check for extras on the car, which there is about 7K GBP on it from new in the UK I have the original car order.

They gave me the stat code which matches the AMG line Model.

How exactly will they cost these extras ... does anyone know?

The car is actually spec'ed identical to a Premium edition AMG line which is listed with the correct C02 figure also, but i guess they wont use that instead they want to match the V5 cert and add the extras on top of that, which would work out more expensive I bet.

If they do that might try my luck with an appeal later if they go that route.

They are probably gone off to get Revenue to contact Mercedes directy with the car's VIN to check what factory fitted options are on it.

Extras are depreciated over the first 2 years of the car now afaik. So on a 1 year old car it will be 50% of their original cost then the VRT percentage rate will be applied to that. So if your car's VRT rate was 26% it will be 26% of half the original total cost of the extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You'll still have to pay the VRT and then appeal it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement