Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi,

I didn’t bother with a check. It was similar to yours, demo 6 months old.
    Nice car, happy motoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Hi All ,

Looks like I'm heading to get a car next weekend - If I have the V5 can I tax for 1 month online at the dealers with my debit or credit card ? the dealer says they can do 6 months minimum ?

Has anybody tried going to the post office and taxing for one month? or should I just tax for 6 months and apply for a rebate ?

Thanks for a great thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Horse1920 wrote: »
    Hi All ,

Looks like I'm heading to get a car next weekend - If I have the V5 can I tax for 1 month online at the dealers with my debit or credit card ? the dealer says they can do 6 months minimum ?

Has anybody tried going to the post office and taxing for one month? or should I just tax for 6 months and apply for a rebate ?

Thanks for a great thread

To do one month you need to setup a direct debit for your tax which unless you have a uk account you can’t do. I’m pretty sure that cars are taxed for 1 year at a time there unless done as above. In any case the tax on newer cars is generally quite cheap so taxing for a year shouldn’t break the bank. I’m not sure how you would go about claiming a rebate afterwards though, I’m sure that’s reserved for UK residents only.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The dealer can tax it online for six months on your behalf using your debit/credit card for payment. They will get a partial tax refund in the post after they notify the DVLA by writing that the car has been sold for permanent export. A decent dealer will post you on a draft for the refund amount if you ask them at the time of sale but some might not bother. The average amount for six months tax on most modern cars there is something like €60 so it's not the end of the world imo if you don't get €30 or €40 back from a dealer in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Am I crazy for wanting to go to the UK to buy a 2008 BMW e60 M Sport?

On the revenue VRT calculator there are 3 e60 m sport options;
    d m sport 04dr
    d m sport 4dr
    d m sport bus edition 4dr.

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is between the first two options are? There is an 800 euro difference in VRT between the two models. Or how can I determine which model the car is?

Also do I need to have proof of price paid when insuring the car or when paying VRT if I am paying in cash?

• Advertisement

Automatic v manual perhaps? Could also be the emissions as the engines changed in late 2007 with newer engines having lower emissions. There could have been some older ones imported that had higher emissions. Check the Co2 figures on the car's V5 registration book versus what the VRT calculator is saying. The Business Edition has more standard features but cannot imagine that has much bearing on the car at that age for VRT over the higher OMSA. Is there much of a saving buying an 11 year old car in the UK? I'd imagine the main advantage being condition.

Revenue don't care what you paid for the car in another country. They will look for an invoice to prove when the car came into the country. Insurance company don't care what you paid for it either.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Automatic v manual perhaps? Could also be the emissions as the engines changed in late 2007 with newer engines having lower emissions. There could have been some older ones imported that had higher emissions. Check the Co2 figures on the car's V5 registration book versus what the VRT calculator is saying. The Business Edition has more standard features but cannot imagine that has much bearing on the car at that age for VRT over the higher OMSA. Is there much of a saving buying an 11 year old car in the UK? I'd imagine the main advantage being condition.

Revenue don't care what you paid for the car in another country. They will look for an invoice to prove when the car came into the country. Insurance company don't care what you paid for it either.

Thanks for that, its currently out of Tax, will I have to temporarily tax it if driving straight for the boat?

timple23 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, its currently out of Tax, will I have to temporarily tax it if driving straight for the boat?

Some people will tell you its grand and to risk driving it to the port without tax but imo the price of the tax is not worth the potential bother of being pulled. ANPR cameras are widely used on the UK roads and UK police are not as lax with the letter of the law as the AGS might be here. To me the cost of the tax is not worth the concern of constantly having to check if there is a police car in your rear view mirror flashing you to pull over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Your better off to have something on it, if the car was taxed when you bought it then I would drive on as it’ll be a few days before the DVLA refund the tax to the last owner and you’ll be well home at that stage. Having no tax in the UK means that the car is probably SORN’d and this brings other problems and will light up a cops ANPR system like a Christmas tree should you pass one, it also means that you could be clamped if you parked up in a public place etc.

For years I used to chance it but recently I’ve been stopped twice and even though the car has been taxed by me it just hadn’t been updated on their system, most cops will be alright if you explain to them but meet a lad/lass in a bad mood and they could nail you to the cross...

Will I have to wait until I am over there to tax it? Or could I get the dealer to?

• Advertisement

Will I have to wait until I am over there to tax it? Or could I get the dealer to?

See my previous post from the top of this page below:
    bazz26 wrote: »
    The dealer can tax it online for six months on your behalf using your debit/credit card for payment. They will get a partial tax refund in the post after they notify the DVLA by writing that the car has been sold for permanent export. A decent dealer will post you on a draft for the refund amount if you ask them at the time of sale but some might not bother. The average amount for six months tax on most modern cars there is something like €60 so it's not the end of the world imo if you don't get €30 or €40 back from a dealer in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

1% vrt increase from today on diesel imports

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    1% vrt increase from today on diesel imports

I had a quote on the calculator at 1,157 euro, today its down to 742 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭rob316

kuro68k wrote: »
    I got my VRT refund yesterday. They were fairly quick about it. Main thing is you have to write to them specifically asking for it in a a letter, along with your documentation.

The revenue are the most efficient of the government departments. Works well when your the one trying to get money back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Am I crazy for wanting to go to the UK to buy a 2008 BMW e60 M Sport?

On the revenue VRT calculator there are 3 e60 m sport options;
    d m sport 04dr
    d m sport 4dr
    d m sport bus edition 4dr.

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is between the first two options are? There is an 800 euro difference in VRT between the two models. Or how can I determine which model the car is?

Also do I need to have proof of price paid when insuring the car or when paying VRT if I am paying in cash?

Get the VRT quote using each option once and note the CO2 figure on the quote.

You may find that's there's different values and you have to match the quote to what's stated on the V5. Ask the seller to verify what's on the V5 as this is what will be used.

The Business Edition was a run out model, it generally got folding mirrors, rear privacy glass and small screen sat nav options added. The other 2 may just be difference CO2 figures based on the LCI and Pre-LCI engines.

Are you still looking for an 08 MSport E60?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

rob316 wrote: »
    The revenue are the most efficient of the government departments. Works well when your the one trying to get money back

As a Brit I was really surprised. Fast, efficient and very helpful and friendly.

Total contrast to when I tried to get a tax refund from the UK government. They try very, very hard to dissuade you from even asking.

kceire wrote: »
    Are you still looking for an 08 MSport E60?

Yes, has to be manual 520d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

rob316 wrote: »
    thats cause they always have plenty of money available to refund!

Yes, has to be manual 520d.

No probs.
    Im selling a White Msport with 100k from new with full documented history with every receipt in a folder.

Timing chain done from BMW also....but its an Auto LCI model :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No probs.
    Im selling a White Msport with 100k from new with full documented history with every receipt in a folder.

Timing chain done from BMW also....but its an Auto LCI model :(

Surprisingly a lot of white BMW 5-er's on DD

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Surprisingly a lot of white BMW 5-er's on DD

I count 2 White E60 2008 versions

But there seems to be 159 BMW 5 Series in total for sale in white :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I count 2 White E60 2008 versions

But there seems to be 159 BMW 5 Series in total for sale in white :)

That narrows it down, nice car ;)

Mc Love wrote: »
    That narrows it down, nice car ;)

Needs a good clean tbh
    Didn’t get the chance over Xmas so hopefully do it next week. Collecting the F10 tomorrow so need to get clean photos to sell the E60.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

My mate lives and works in the UK. If he buys a car there and holds on to it for 6 months, before bringing it back to Ireland and registering, is he exempt from paying VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Earnshaw wrote: »
    My mate lives and works in the UK. If he buys a car there and holds on to it for 6 months, before bringing it back to Ireland and registering, is he exempt from paying VRT?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi lads. Heading over in a few weeks to hopefully pick up a car for my wife.
    Just some quick questions re the ferry from Holyhead (it will be my first time).
    1. How long in advance of the sailing time would you typically be allowed to board the boat?
    2. If you arrive before boarding has started - do you have to enter some kind of pay by the hour car park & wait here until it is time to board or how does it work?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,058 ✭✭✭✭elperello

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi lads. Heading over in a few weeks to hopefully pick up a car for my wife.
    Just some quick questions re the ferry from Holyhead (it will be my first time).
    1. How long in advance of the sailing time would you typically be allowed to board the boat?
    2. If you arrive before boarding has started - do you have to enter some kind of pay by the hour car park & wait here until it is time to board or how does it work?
    Cheers

1- about 30-45 minutes before sailing they load all the cars.
    2- no pay car park you just wait in marked lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

elperello wrote: »
    1- about 30-45 minutes before sailing they load all the cars.
    2- no pay car park you just wait in marked lanes
    Great thanks for that.
    One other question - I may do an overnight rather than getting the 2am ferry.
    Any suggestions for somewhere to stay within an hours drive of Holyhead?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,058 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Llandudno, Caernarfon, Bangor all nice spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭kooga

Good morning

How can you estimate VRT if the car you wish to buy and import is not listed on the VRT calculator

thanks in advance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement