Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

kceire wrote: »
    NCTS website.
    It lists the forms and they are hyperlinked so you click them and they open.

I was on the revenue website mostly, and their was no link for that document, but i found it alright, 2 sheets to download, the second telling you how to fill it in, so now i will have 4 documents that are a must to bring with me. On the revenue website for VRT it says you also need a PPN number, this is not listed on the site i downloaded the 2 sheets from. I am still looking for a link to register on the revenue site in order to get a PPN number. whether i need it or not, i have no idea at this stage, i want to be prepared with every document i need, to make this as painless as possible. i read somewhere that their is a 1500 euro limit to making the payment through a debit card, but as they make no mention of this on the site, i am guessing that is wrong.

Just in case i make a mistake filling out all these documents, i downloaded 2 of everything, so if they say i made a mistake filling them out, i will have a clean copy to rectify this at the VRT station

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cranefly wrote: »
    I was on the revenue website mostly, and their was no link for that document, but i found it alright, 2 sheets to download, the second telling you how to fill it in, so now i will have 4 documents that are a must to bring with me. On the revenue website for VRT it says you also need a PPN number, this is not listed on the site i downloaded the 2 sheets from. I am still looking for a link to register on the revenue site in order to get a PPN number. whether i need it or not, i have no idea at this stage, i want to be prepared with every document i need, to make this as painless as possible. i read somewhere that their is a 1500 euro limit to making the payment through a debit card, but as they make no mention of this on the site, i am guessing that is wrong.

Just in case i make a mistake filling out all these documents, i downloaded 2 of everything, so if they say i made a mistake filling them out, i will have a clean copy to rectify this at the VRT station

They are all listed on the NCTS website.
    It’s bettwr for info than the revenue site in fairness.

You’ll need

ID
    proof of address
    Proof of PPSN
    Proof of travel
    V5
    Receipt (can be hand written on a post it Note)

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

kceire wrote: »
    They are all listed on the NCTS website.
    It’s bettwr for info than the revenue site in fairness.

You’ll need

ID
    proof of address
    Proof of PPSN
    Proof of travel
    V5
    Receipt (can be hand written on a post it Note)

https://www.ncts.ie/1155
    Can you tell me what is proof of PPSN and what exactly is a PPSN and is it different to a PPN number

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

cranefly wrote: »
    Can you tell me what is proof of PPSN and what exactly is a PPSN

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/personal-public-service-number/index.aspx

bonkers67 wrote: »

Thanks for that, i can now make the appointment tomorrow for the VRT i feel confident enough that i have all the needed documents, just trying to fill them in and not make a mistake, on a used car from a dealer in the north, do i need his VAT number on the VRTVPD2 form, and on this from section 3 person or business who purchased the vehicle outside the state if not the proposed registered owner of the vehicle, is this the last owner on the northern logbook i enter there. Looking at this question again makes me think this should be left blank, as the proposed owner of the car actually made the purchase, have i got that right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

oodles19 wrote: »
    The tax isn't really a worry as it would be minimal anyway, I'll need to figure out getting some form of "one day" insurance or something like that though, as the car will be in a bit of a nebulous state as I'm not buying it for myself so I don't think I'll be able to transfer my own insurance over to it for the day, and it won't be insured under someone else's policy, just want to make sure I'm not pulled or out on a limb as the car will be for someone else..

OK, Ya tricky if its not yours, axa give you 30 days grace to sort vrt but on your own policy. Skoda do this freebie via main dealer

IMPORTANT CUSTOMER INFORMATION

5 Day Free Insurance:

We can arrange 5 day complimentary insurance cover for you. We will require your date of
    birth and email address to set this up. To arrange the cover yourself then please phone
    03303036920 and quote our dealer code at least 24 hours prior to collection of
    your new car (Closed on Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It's probably been asked and answered before so sorry in advance. I did search the thread but didn't come up with anything particularly recent.

I'm thinking of importing from the UK simply because of the larger selection and much higher spec.
    What are people's thoughts on the import services that have been popping up recently? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for? I'm happy to pay a little extra for someone else to do the leg work but I'd want them to do all the leg work...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Lads I have another question on paying for a Uk car.
    I've been put off from using CurrencyFair or TransferMate due to the possibility of the money not being in the dealers account the same day.
    So if I am to pay via Debit card - is there much of a difference between using for example, a combination of Revolut & N26 cards vs a BOI Visa Debit in terms of overall cost to make a payment?
    I would be paying approx £10k sterling (I know the N26 and Revolut cards each have a €5k limit).
    I'm not overly sure how all of the various charges work for using the BOI Visa debit.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Why don't you just transfer in advance so to make sure it is there? I am transferring money to a dealer this week and honestly its going in dribs and drabs as I have STG coming from differing locations... CurrencyFair & Revolut... and original deposit using Revolut. I don't have issue leaving money with main dealer for few days rather than worrying about transfer on the day. It's good getting on the plane knowing they have money and all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hello... going to UK on Friday to pick up a Jan 18 Ford direct. Was looking at a May 17 originally but the 18 came available on Friday last so swapping to that and not costing me much more, and VRT won't be too different either.

I have previously got Dekra checks done on 2 previous cars I got in UK and never had any issues. This car is a Ford management single owner car with low mileage and still 2 years of warranty.

Would ye still definitely get the Dekra check or do you think safe to save the £180. My only concern would be any crash repairs etc that may not show up - I know Dekra measure paint on all panels and look at panel seals etc. Don't have any particular reason to think any issues but margin's are tighter on this one than previous purchases ... :)

Any guidance or experiences appreciated. Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Milltown17

gaillimh wrote: »
    I've been put off from using CurrencyFair or TransferMate due to the possibility of the money not being in the dealers account the same day.
    So if I am to pay via Debit card - is there much of a difference between using for example, a combination of Revolut & N26 cards vs a BOI Visa Debit in terms of overall cost to make a payment?
    I would be paying approx £10k sterling (I know the N26 and Revolut cards each have a €5k limit).
    I'm not overly sure how all of the various charges work for using the BOI Visa debit.
    Thanks

Hi
    Why don't you pay with a Sterling bank draft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks

The safest, cost effective way of doing this is through the likes of TransferMate. You are limited with a cap on transactions and daily limits with your bank current account (5k on mobile banking and a further 5k on telephone banking, all done as a SWIFT payment - so no guarantees of on the day or even next day completion of payment!).
    Hello... going to UK on Friday to pick up a Jan 18 Ford direct. Was looking at a May 17 originally but the 18 came available on Friday last so swapping to that and not costing me much more, and VRT won't be too different either.

I have previously got Dekra checks done on 2 previous cars I got in UK and never had any issues. This car is a Ford management single owner car with low mileage and still 2 years of warranty.

Would ye still definitely get the Dekra check or do you think safe to save the £180. My only concern would be any crash repairs etc that may not show up - I know Dekra measure paint on all panels and look at panel seals etc. Don't have any particular reason to think any issues but margin's are tighter on this one than previous purchases ... :)

Any guidance or experiences appreciated. Paddy

If I was importing a 1500 quid car, I'd probably take a punt on my own checks. Why would you even entertain not doing due diligence on a car worth multiples of that? If only for peace of mind, you are spending a chunk of your hard earned afterall.
    Milltown17 wrote: »
    Hi

Most (99.999%) of dealerships will not entertain anything other than a bank transfer, and the ones that do, takes more time to get the relevant clearance in their bank for your band draft, sterling or otherwise unfortunately.

Hi
    I want to be sure that I’m happy with the car etc having viewed it before committing to the purchase.

I want to be sure that I’m happy with the car etc having viewed it before committing to the purchase.

Car giant in London accept bank draft.has anyone any experience paying for a car with themselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Then your only option is instant transfer.
    Most dealers won’t take cash, well a large amount.

We bought 2 cars on Friday and the max amount the dealer said he’d take was 9k. No use when we were spending 34!

I used Transfermate. The cash was in his account within 2 hours.
    So you can use their option to have it all set up and you make call while there for them to release the funds to them. Only issue is that you then have to hang around waiting for the funds to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

Car giant in London accept bank draft.has anyone any experience paying for a car with themselves

I bought a car from Cargiant a year and a half ago with a bank draft, it was accepted immediately, took around 5 minutes to process the payment.

I bought a car from Cargiant a year and a half ago with a bank draft, it was accepted immediately, took around 5 minutes to process the payment.

Hi.
    How did you find car giant to deal with.

Hi.
    How did you find car giant to deal with.

You don't get much of test drive with them, a spin around their industrial estate is about it, the cars are mostly ex-fleet so in good nick mainly, but be sure to give them a good go over anyway. They try and give the hard sell with extended warranties and clear coating and so on but that is to be expected, just keep saying no and it's over with in half an hour. All in it took me around three hours to look my car over, get through the spiel, the paperwork, and get tax and insurance sorted for myself. I'd go back to them again for the right car.

You don't get much of test drive with them, a spin around their industrial estate is about it, the cars are mostly ex-fleet so in good nick mainly, but be sure to give them a good go over anyway. They try and give the hard sell with extended warranties and clear coating and so on but that is to be expected, just keep saying no and it's over with in half an hour. All in it took me around three hours to look my car over, get through the spiel, the paperwork, and get tax and insurance sorted for myself. I'd go back to them again for the right car.

Thanks for that info.much appreciated.just a further question did you get it checked by someone by dekra before you travelled or did you wait to give it the once over yourself and also you said u had to sort insurance did u not have that sorted with your own insurance company before u travelled.

Thanks for that info.much appreciated.just a further question did you get it checked by someone by dekra before you travelled or did you wait to give it the once over yourself and also you said u had to sort insurance did u not have that sorted with your own insurance company before u travelled.

I checked it over myself, noticed a small repaired scratch and that the window washer pump wasn't working on the 320d I ended up buying (Something to watch out for with BMW's, they use a special anti-bac washer additive, the lines can get clogged and the pump seize if the wrong stuff has been used or the washer hasn't been used from the car sitting for a good while) and knocked a few hundred off the price on that basis. Otherwise with the likes of Cargiant the price is the price, no room for haggling like with Irish dealers.

I made the, in retrospect foolish, decision to go over on a Sunday, so I wasn't able to transfer my own insurance on the day, so I had to buy a one day insurance cover online, cost around €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Has anyone on here bought from Charles Hurst in Belfast recently and what payment methods did you use.Looking at a car priced around £10k are they good to deal with.Thanks.

Has anyone ever heard of a Uk dealer taking an Irish reg car as part exchange?
    I've been onto a dealership rep online via IM about viewing one of their cars and that person maintains they would take my car (my wifes actually and it is an old car 2005 passat not in the greatest of nick) as part exchange - even though it is obviously an Irish reg car.
    I was under the impression that dealers would only take other uk reg cars as part exchange.
    I'm wary - have visions of landing over to be told they won't take it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has anyone ever heard of a Uk dealer taking an Irish reg car as part exchange?
    I've been onto a dealership rep online via IM about viewing one of their cars and that person maintains they would take my car (my wifes actually and it is an old car 2005 passat not in the greatest of nick) as part exchange - even though it is obviously an Irish reg car.
    I was under the impression that dealers would only take other uk reg cars as part exchange.
    I'm wary - have visions of landing over to be told they won't take it :-)

Maybe they'd take a previously exported UK car that is now on Irish plates, I'd still think you'd get more value for it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

they'd be aware of the possibility of getting a VRT refund on it.In any case a 2005 car is worth so little, an Irish reg one wouldn't be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

2005 Passat is a low value car.

Not actually worth trading it in. It's a barrier to a good deal on the new car.

Unless it's scrappage on a new car - you risk selling the car for effectively zero.

If it's in reasonable working order then you either gamble it on done deal or you might as well park it in a corner of the yard.

Were the Passat mine and it still worked - I'd keep driving it until the next big thing goes wrong with it or fails an NCT on big things. And then scrap it

Old diesel wrote: »
    2005 Passat is a low value car.

Not actually worth trading it in. It's a barrier to a good deal on the new car.

Unless it's scrappage on a new car - you risk selling the car for effectively zero.

If it's in reasonable working order then you either gamble it on done deal or you might as well park it in a corner of the yard.

Were the Passat mine and it still worked - I'd keep driving it until the next big thing goes wrong with it or fails an NCT on big things. And then scrap it
    Yeah leaning towards Done Deal alright.
    It won't be driven by either of us once this car is bought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Have been reading through this thread as I am considering buying abroad. I have a few general questions and would love some feedback. I've very little knowledge in the car industry and no connections in it. Im considering getting a BMW 320 series car particularly given the exchange rate at the moment.

* I'm looking at something around the year 2014 - is it worth my while at that age?
    * Is there value to be had in Northern Ireland or should I be looking at mainland UK?
    * Are there particular locations in the UK that offers best value or is it down to what you see online?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

* I'm looking at something around the year 2014 - is it worth my while at that age? - Year is irrelevant. Compare the prices of what you are looking for between here and the UK, and if it is cheaper its worth doing
    * Is there value to be had in Northern Ireland or should I be looking at mainland UK? No harm checking Northern Ireland also. - From my previous experiences I found better choice and prices in mainland UK. One advantage of the North is the proximity obviously but that can account for slightly higher prices.
    * Are there particular locations in the UK that offers best value or is it down to what you see online? - Geographically it may be best to stay on West coast to give you shorter trip home. Other than that I would not restrict by location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Just want to clarify i have the right DEKRA site...

https://www.dekra-expert.co.uk

And which test would people recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Hi All,
    What "revenue approved" documentation do you need to prove co2 when presenting for VRT? Cannot find any definitive answer on revenue's Web site or through a good portion of this forum, sorry if its been answered before

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement