Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

Hey,

Looking to bring car in from UK, not keen to travel and wondering is there a specific company whom check car mechanically, file report and then transport car back for me should all be good? Id pay the dealer myself should things be good. Apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

bod71 wrote: »
    Hello All,

Another successful trip to UK yesterday and purchase. Both our cars refreshed now in last 12 months from UK. Thanks for all the info I have gathered on here over time and happy to return anything back to anyone.

For info - started the exchange this time around via Currencyfair but did 2nd lot of conversion using Revolut. Would strongly recommend the Revolut option for anyone considering it. I did buy my A6 using Currencyfair back last March but have since got more familiar with Revolut and rates are much better. Works similar way but is all done via the mobile phone app whereas Currencyfair have a full website based portal.

I didn't tax the car - took the chance and was OK. I flew over yesterday morning, picked up car and then ferry back from Holyhead last night.

I did Stenaline and booked Premium as this gives much more flexibility for late changes and also the Stena Lounge makes trip more comfortable.

Was interesting to see so many "single drivers" in varying Audi's, BMW's and Volkswagen's etc on the ferry - just taking look at a few and all very clean interiors with just coffee cup in the centre console.. my thinking is all bringing their new car back.. :)

Got full V5 cert and dealer said no need for them to keep any part of it as they just do their bit and don't need the actual cert - this was same when I got my Audi in March.

Now gotta sort out VRT... this will be interesting. At last min I upped to a Jan 2018 from a March 2017 - dealer I had deposit down with got the newer car in literally the day I put down deposit so I changed to the 2018 and then got the Dekra check done on Thurs. I did not get the report until I was sat down with sales guy doing paperwork but I had talked to engineer on Thurs evening and he told me all the relevant bits.

Can't fault Dekra and for peace of mind it is worth it. He spotted absolutely everything! Even slight scuffs on underneath of bumper (totally out of sight) and found a nail in one of the tyres too.. was very grateful for that and all was sorted by time I picked up. It was a nail head and had not pierced the tyre but all the same would not have been good to get a puncture on way to ferry.

Anyway, home late last night... early this morning. Wife delighted with her new car. Now onto the VRT process.

Happy to answer any questions or provide any help. This is 3rd car I have imported - once in 2009 (got 95p for the €!) and 2 in last 12 months... we are keepers so I won't be changing again for another 6-8 years.

Regards
    Paddy[/QUOT
    Congrats on the car, can i ask what revolut card you used, im doing the same in a few weeks and i have the standard revolut card. Is there a max you can spend on the card and was it instant? Thanks.

Yeah congrats on the car!! Im also considering using Revolut on my upcoming trip so curious about using it. Im on the premium Revolut and am wondering about transferring €20k onto from AIB. Will I have to do it in a couple of transactions? Also, is it just a matter of adding a new beneficiary to the app with BIC and IBAN and then completing a bank transfer? Are there any max limits on the amount you can transfer in one go?

The best of luck with the new set of wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Recently imported 17-2 Navara from NI.

Viewed the truck, test drove and ran Cartel check.
    Agreed price, used Transfermate to transfer the funds - much cheaper than Bank of Ireland or An Post.
    Used the VRT office in Ballymount - great people there.

Brought the following to the VRT office
    1. Driving License
    2. Proof of address - a letter from Revenue, which doubled as my proof of PPS number, and print outs from Panda Power and Bank of Ireland
    3. Full V5 document from the dealer in NI
    4. Proof of Insurance
    5. Sales Invoice from dealer in NI, showing date of purchase, purchase amount and VAT amount
    6. Completed VRTPD2 form
    7. Printed copy of Revenue estimate, which was actually a couple euro more than I ended up paying.
    The VRT people need to see the VIN number, so I had located this in advance and cleaned the road muck off the frame.

The VRT Centre gave me an RF-100 form.
    From there I went straight across the road and got number plates made, and then straight to the DOE/CVRT centre in Ballymount.

At this stage I assumed that Shannon were notified by the VRT office and would send me a log book. I didn’t find out until about a week later that I had to tax the truck first, and only then would Shannon send the logbook.

Had a bit of an issue in the Tax Office then, as they would not accept my proof of insurance - they needed the Insurance Cert and Disk - which I had yet to receive.
    Phoned the insurance company while in the Tax Office, who were able to email over a copy of both to the Tax Office directly. The Tax Office guys were very helpful.
    I then got my tax disc on the spot and a couple of days later my new logbook.

Very happy with the truck so far, it was top spec with central locking canopy, and I landed it here for 4k cheaper than the closest Irish dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Re the Revolut questions.. I have a Revolut Premium and I was thinking as regards any differences on what it may have given me. I got the market rate - i.e. what you see on XE.com etc. Just watch at weekends cause you do not get a market rate and they seem to pick a "safe" rate for them on Friday and then that's what you use - this caught me out cause I paid £1k deposit last Sat and didn't get rate I had hoped for.. maybe 0.3% off market rate.

I asked Revolut re any transfer and conversion limits and they said you can do something like 75k per day - nothing near what I needed. I transferred to my Revolut IBAN/BIC the same as any other bank transfer. Think took 1.5 days from my BOI to Revolut and 1 day from Revolut to UK dealer account.. or could have been same day.

I did ask dealer if I could settle balance using my Revolut debit card and they said many customers pay using debit on the day but I just didn't want to risk anything going wrong so just paid the whole lot beforehand - it was a main Ford dealer so was happy to trust them on this; I would not pay a smaller dealer or individual up front.

When I transferred into my Revolut it just appeared on my € balance - this is assuming that your Revolut is in €. Once I had it there I then watched the rates and done an exchange when I got rate I was happy with and that instantly converted to STG. You can watch it in real time as to what you are paying in € to get the amount you want in STG - i.e. you input how much STG you want and then watch the € required amount move up and down in real time. Once I had converted to STG I kicked off the transfer to the UK dealer account. When you specify it is a STG account then they still use Sort/Account number whereas the € to € from BOI to Revolut uses IBAN.

One thing that caught me out was that on the day I did try get the car tax paid but could not use an IBAN to setup DD with DVLA - nor could I get a Sort/Account number from my Revolut because my account in €. I decided to take chance and just drove to ferry with no issues.

Finally.. BOI have a daily limit on transfers - possibly €10k - so just check what AIB have as you may need to transfer the €20k over 2 days; and weekends Sat/Sun do not could as single days so watch out for that.

Hope this helps.. let me know any more questions. Thanks for the replies. Happy with the car so far... bit more love from the wife and kids on it might help.. but that's always the same..:P:P

BTW.. got a Jan 2018 Ford SMax Vignale.. extravagant but has all the the toys and interior that I like, but nothing my wife will use..:D Lovely car and loads of space for our lot and the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Thanks for that paddy. Some good pointers and help there. I have since found out that max spending limit using the debit card is £5k so bank transfer seems the way to go.

Cheers again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

If the dealer agrees to deliver the car/bike upto Dundalk, do we (the new buyer) have to still pay the UK road tax if driving down the vehicle from Dundalk to your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

If the dealer agrees to deliver the car/bike upto Dundalk, do we (the new buyer) have to still pay the UK road tax if driving down the vehicle from Dundalk to your home?

Dundalk is in Ireland so your won’t be asked for NI tax once the car is there.

Reading along the forum, just found out that a vehicle older than 4 years imported in Ireland needs to go through an NCT. Is the same mandatory for motorcycles as well?

Dundalk is in Ireland so your won’t be asked for NI tax once the car is there.

Ok thats good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Just brought in a Skoda Superb from the UK, this is how it went for me:

Was looking for a current shape Skoda Superb hatch petrol, 1.4tsi 150bhp ACT Manual. Found 2 within my budget (sub £14k). One in Cargiant (Jan 2016), one with Arnold Clarke (December 2015) in Glasgow. The 2015 had very low mileage (20k), had three services, and was €1500 cheaper). Contacted the dealer, had 2 videos sent over detailing any cosmetic issues. The Cargiant guy had laughed at me when I asked if the could do the same for foreign buyers. UK dealers have small margins but pushed for €200 off the price, collection from the airport, a wheel refurb and a small stone chip sorted. We agreed on that.

I didn't pay for any car checks, assured by the fact it was a Skoda main dealer, low mileage FSH and the dealer got 5 star reviews. I also know my around inspecting a car so would be confident of spotting anything major.

Paid €100 deposit and arranged flights (one way).

Got to dealer, had a 30 minute look around the car (looked like new inside and out), everything checked out. A few small marks here and there but you would expect that. One paintwork repair to the NSR door, but it was very good so didn't bring it up. Refurbed alloy was like now (full tyre off refurb), although a fraction duller silver than the rest, again, I can live with that. Then a generous test drive with their Genius, over varying roads, tight as a drum, not a rattle or squeak.

I was very happy with everything. Back to showroom to settle up. They had paid the car tax (£30) and put in a quarter tank of fuel (which saw me all the way home). Got the full V5. Hooked up Android auto for the navigation, then online to book the ferry and off I went for Cairnryan (1 hour 30 mins) to get the 3.30pm sailing to Belfast. It was a lovely drive. These cars in petrol form are an absolute gem. I sold my 2014 BMW 518D for this, and the Skoda is so refined by comparison, rides better, is way more spacious, better ergonomics and much more up to date infotainment, I prefer it in every way.

Back home at 8pm.

What I learnt from this experience: This is my fourth UK purchase. The last time it was the wifes (exacts same car, albeit with DSG) and that was from Southampton. That was a very long day with a flat out 6 hours drive to catch the ferry. Glasgow was so much easier in every way, short flight, short ferry, good roads. It was by far the easiest trip I've done. I would highly recommend it as location to buy. The Arnold Clarke complex in Glasgow is stuffed full of dealers for every marque, cars as far as the eye can see.

Final cost will be €16.5k (plus €200 travel), which for a low mileage car of this calibre is exceptional value IMO. Now to VRT it, if only they would answer the phones….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats a great price! I like the newer model superb and have been looking but a bit out of my price range. I suppose the last model wasnt too bad.

I picked up my vehicle in Dungannon in NI and drive it straight to the Republic.

I didn't pay any road tax.

.... Now to VRT it, if only they would answer the phones….

I found the online booking system to be quite good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Reading along the forum, just found out that a vehicle older than 4 years imported in Ireland needs to go through an NCT. Is the same mandatory for motorcycles as well?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yes.

Incorrect.

There is no test for motorcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭elperello

michellie wrote: »
    Incorrect.

There was talk of bringing one in some years ago but it never came to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

d31b0y wrote: »
    It's probably been asked and answered before so sorry in advance. I did search the thread but didn't come up with anything particularly recent.

I'm thinking of importing from the UK simply because of the larger selection and much higher spec.
    What are people's thoughts on the import services that have been popping up recently? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for? I'm happy to pay a little extra for someone else to do the leg work but I'd want them to do all the leg work...

I'd be interested in any feedback anyone has on this...

Also, with Brexit coming at the end of March, would you buy now or wait closer to the time? I was thinking of buying in March / April but with the 29th of March quick approaching and no deal looking possible, should I move my timeline up?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Wait until tomorrow, there is about a 50/50 chance that the Pound will crash and you will save a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Warranty query:

If I buy in the UK and purchase a twelve month warranty for the car - is that warranty valid if I register the car in Ireland after a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

Hi guys do you know which shop in Dublin who can do Number plates while you waiting? need it today. Dublin South City.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

BadSanta wrote: »
    Hi guys do you know which shop in Dublin who can do Number plates while you waiting? need it today. Dublin South City.

Thanks

Any motor factor, car dealer or Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,343 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

d31b0y wrote: »
    I'd be interested in any feedback anyone has on this...

Also, with Brexit coming at the end of March, would you buy now or wait closer to the time? I was thinking of buying in March / April but with the 29th of March quick approaching and no deal looking possible, should I move my timeline up?

You need to keep monitoring it; if there’s no deal the. vAT will apply from 30 March. If there is a deal with a transition period then it is only expected to apply from the end of the transition. This will likely be a bigger issue than currency movements . U.K. plates change on 1 March so may be more <3 year old ex-fleet cars at that day. Those might still be attractive in a no deal scenario as they are more likely to be VAT qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Warranty query:

If I buy in the UK and purchase a twelve month warranty for the car - is that warranty valid if I register the car in Ireland after a few months?

Generally any warranty purchased in the UK will not cover you here unless you intend to bring the car back to the UK for repairs which will be cost prohibitive in most most cases, in which case the new reg plates may cause you problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Brought over a car yesterday on the ferry.
    It was pretty straightforward all in all as it turned out.
    Thanks everyone for the nuggets of information provided in advance.

michellie wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Thanks. Is there any way I can verify it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Warranty query:

You'll have to confirm with the actual warranty company. Some will and some wont.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Consider it verified.
    No NCT test currently for motorcycles.

I've a KTM 690SM here and a Bandit 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

kuro68k wrote: »
    Wait until tomorrow, there is about a 50/50 chance that the Pound will crash and you will save a packet.

Didn't happen unfortunately, GBP has actually strengthened about 1% since this vote last night.

Looking to purchase a VW Golf in the coming few weeks so was hoping for it at least to stay the same, as ever with Brexit, who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Didn't happen unfortunately, GBP has actually strengthened about 1% since this vote last night.

Looking to purchase a VW Golf in the coming few weeks so was hoping for it at least to stay the same, as ever with Brexit, who knows

Yes, currency is very difficult to read... its pure gambling! I bought all my STG at .90 and its now .885. I had considered waiting too in expectation of it weakening further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is it something specific about the motorcycle you want verified or the fact that there is no test?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement