Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

How long does it take for NCTS to issue a cert after they receive the MOT cert from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

Nemanrio wrote: »
    How long average does a dekra/RAC/AA check take?

To do, or to schedule?
    3 working days to schedule I was told when I rang them the week. Their website should tell you duration to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

travist wrote: »
    To do, or to schedule?
    3 working days to schedule I was told when I rang them the week. Their website should tell you duration to do.

To schedule. I assume it wiuld take less than 3/ or 4 hours to actually carry out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

Probably been asked a thousand times recently so apologies in advance if so....but what are people's general thoughts on buying in NI/UK post Brexit - I'm thinking June-ish.

Im looking to buy again around that time. Personally I think there will be some resolution to this mess in the end....if not then there are bigger problems than me not being able to import from the UK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

Just wondering, if I brought in a car, did vrt ...then after a year or two, wanted to sell it back in UK, would it be possible to claim any of that vrt back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

travist wrote: »
    Just wondering, if I brought in a car, did vrt ...then after a year or two, wanted to sell it back in UK, would it be possible to claim any of that vrt back?

Yes- there is a VRT Export repayment scheme.
    Essentially they assess the residual amount of VRT 'value' associated with the car and there are mechanisms to refund it to you.

This Revenue page explains all

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Has anyone here brought theie car over to the UK as a trade-in for a new purchase in a dealership? I'm wondering is an Irish reg car any good to them or are they interested at all in a part exchange of a RoI vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A UK dealer has no interest in a ROI registered car unless that car was originally imported from the UK. They don't want them because they would have to get the speedo converted to mph first to get it on UK plates which can be expensive on certain cars. UK buyers also tend to be not interested in ROI imported cars so they can be near impossible to sell on.

Alot of NI dealers will take a ROI registered cars as they sell them back to dealers down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MAV99

Hi

Hope someone can help with my query...!
    I am importing a car from the UK which is registered in my sisters name - she lives in the UK. Do I still have to produce an invoice? The V5C cert is in my sisters name but the car will be registered in my name when paying the VRT.
    Many thanks.

Yes. And they don't care who's name is on the V5C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MAV99

So my sister will have to give me an invoice even though it wont be very official looking? Will that suffice?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just noticed on the V5 form, section 9 is missing.. Do I need that section?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

MAV99 wrote: »
    So my sister will have to give me an invoice even though it wont be very official looking? Will that suffice?
    Thanks

Yes - I did a basic one on a word document for me to 'sell' my UK car to my wife so that she could register it in Ireland.

PM me if you want more details.
    Rochey18 wrote: »
    Just noticed on the V5 form, section 9 is missing.. Do I need that section?

No - Section 9 (Yellow V5C/3) is for selling or transferring to a motor dealer, insurance company or wreckers.

[Apologies for the large picture]
    v5c3.jpg

MAV99 wrote: »
    Thanks

Since it's basically a private sale just get her to write up a sales invoice/receipt with the date of sale, UK reg, mileage, her name and address and her signature, etc. There is not much else you can do with a private seller. They will probably look for a ferry ticket or receipt too to back up when you brought the car into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Justin10

Strange one, was getting documents together and just noticed that section 4 is still attached to my V5.. Do I need to so anything since the dealership haven't?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Strange one, was getting documents together and just noticed that section 4 is still attached to my V5.. Do I need to so anything since the dealership haven't?

Fill it out and post it off yourself. Put your address on a cover later to get your tax refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Tried researching this but I can't find a definitive answer. A relation of mine moved back over to Ireland at the end of November and brought her and her husbands car over, both UK reg. She has decided she doesn't have a need for her Vauxhall Astra anymore so will sell it to me at a decent price but I will have to pay the VRT on it.

The problem I think I would have is that she never paid the VRT and this has to be done within 30 days of the car entering the state so will I have a problem if I buy it and then go to VRT it?

Yes you could. If there is no proof of when it came into the country then I think they go off when the last UK tax expired as when it came in which would result in VRT penalties. The tragic thing is that your relation probably would have got a VRT exemption when she moved back to Ireland if she owned and used the car in the UK for over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Can I ask what are thoughts on having a car in a dealer inspected before purchasing? There is a warranty with the car, full main dealer service and HPI check available. I probably wouldn't see the car before purchasing as it would be delivered from the north vrt'd and nct'd. Is this the stupidest question ever?!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes you could. If there is no proof of when it came into the country then I think they go off when the last UK tax expired as when it came in which would result in VRT penalties. The tragic thing is that your relation probably would have got a VRT exemption when she moved back to Ireland if she owned and used the car in the UK for over 12 months.

Will the penalties be high would you say? Don't want to take the car if it means it will be dearer than buying one here.

Yes don't know why she didn't get the exemption but she might have mentioned something about not being able to get the exemption because her husband availed of the exemption on his car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

SeaFields wrote: »
    Can I ask what are thoughts on having a car in a dealer inspected before purchasing? There is a warranty with the car, full main dealer service and HPI check available. I probably wouldn't see the car before purchasing as it would be delivered from the north vrt'd and nct'd. Is this the stupidest question ever?!

100% have inspected and test driven. Warranty is non existent basically once you export, in fact you should ask for a discount because you won't want it. If it has a valid MOT then that can be exchanged for an NCT. If it doesn't have MOT then I would be lookinh elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I would definitely get an inspection no matter where it is.

I got an AA inspection on my car in England and purchased it (£18K) before ever having set eyes on it (as the dealer only accepted bank transfer). A lot of people seem to do it.

I thought at the time that it was quite a stupid thing to do, and I still do in fact. But sometimes you just have to live on the edge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Conchy wrote: »
    Will the penalties be high would you say? Don't want to take the car if it means it will be dearer than buying one here.

Yes don't know why she didn't get the exemption but she might have mentioned something about not being able to get the exemption because her husband availed of the exemption on his car.

If they applied for the exemption on one car they could equally have applied on the second one provided it met the rules (little more than owned 6 months prior to move). There is no issue even if both cars were registered in a single name (as my two cars were when I returned to Ireland 3 years ago).

There's little advantage in her applying for it now if she plans on selling it a the exemption would be withdrawn. You won't have a ferry receipt etc so you would stand out when you brought it to NCTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If it doesn't have MOT then I would be lookinh elsewhere

Just curious about this part. If the company will NCT it as part of the sale what's the issue with it having no mot?

Edit. And the car is with Prestige Cars Ireland if anyone has had any dealings with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you don't have to send anything off from the V5C. Just ignore it.

Just curious about this part. If the company will NCT it as part of the sale what's the issue with it having no mot?

Edit. And the car is with Prestige Cars Ireland if anyone has had any dealings with them?

There's no reason for it not to have an MOT imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Anyone have any experience with Nissan main dealers? Any reluctance selling to Irish buyers for export? I’ve heard Mercedes don’t allow it.

Also are people using transfermate mostly for payment or any other good companies?

Anyone have any experience with Nissan main dealers? Any reluctance selling to Irish buyers for export? I’ve heard Mercedes don’t allow it.

Also are people using transfermate mostly for payment or any other good companies?

What's to stop you not telling them you're exporting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

What's to stop you not telling them you're exporting?

Don’t think they’ll provide the V5 form otherwise

• Advertisement

For the purposes of not paying vat. Does the car your buying have to be more than six months old on the day you buy it. The day you bring it into the country or the day you bring it to be registered? Milage won't be a problem on the one I'm looking at

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement