Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

6 months from date of original registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

bazz26 wrote: »
    The whole idea of a non refundable deposit is for the dealer to protect themselves from somebody just changing their mind for no valid reason or weed out the messors who had no intention of buying anyway. However if you agree a price and are happy to buy the car pending an inspection then I see no reason why a dealer should not refund the deposit if the car fails the inspection for something serious or they are not willing to rectify minor things found by the inspection.
    Kind of hobbles the negotiation too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Is the VRT bookings usually a 3 week backlog?

Kind of hobbles the negotiation too?

Your not going to be doing much negotiating with UK dealers anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Happy4all wrote: »

Yes. It was for me last month.
    Brought car in on 4th and couldn’t get a booking h til the 21st.

Couldn’t book online either so had to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Happy4all wrote: »

Same here for last month and then after vrt inspection it took 10 full days to get the payable amount so I'd budget a month time wise. It was mentioned by one of the dealers in the queue to be inspected, that you'd want to be clearing vehicles by the middle of March if hard brexit is on the cards.. could get to a situation that if your vehicle isn't plated and done by the UK crashing out then vat will be due. I would hopefully think that they'd be a grace period for anybody pending a vrt amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

I don't intend to import again until the middle of the year. Personally, Im betting that the brexit deadline will be extended. Despite all the noise, just seems there is too much at stake for all sides (UK, IRE & EU) for a disorderly exit if the deadline arrives and a deal isn't done. However, I do sympathise for the dealers & businesses who don't have such a luxury and must plan for such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

Used vehicles imported from the United Kingdom
    Revenue is aware that the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency has withdrawn the Certificate of Permanent Export from circulation. This was an alternative to the standard V5 registration certificate for the purposes of re-registering a vehicle in the State. From now on the UK authorities will only be issuing V5 certificates to persons resident in the UK.

Customers are reminded that foreign registration documentation is required when presenting a used vehicle for registration in the State. Furthermore customers are reminded that the vehicle must be accompanied by this documentation. Vehicles presented without all the correct documentation will be refused registration.

It should be noted Revenue will continue to accept a Certificate of Permanent Export where it is presented.

Published: 06 February 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

BadSanta wrote: »
    Revenue is aware that the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency has withdrawn the Certificate of Permanent Export from circulation. This was an alternative to the standard V5 registration certificate for the purposes of re-registering a vehicle in the State. From now on the UK authorities will only be issuing V5 certificates to persons resident in the UK.

Customers are reminded that foreign registration documentation is required when presenting a used vehicle for registration in the State. Furthermore customers are reminded that the vehicle must be accompanied by this documentation. Vehicles presented without all the correct documentation will be refused registration.

It should be noted Revenue will continue to accept a Certificate of Permanent Export where it is presented.

What does this mean? If you don’t get the V5 from the dealer you’re screwed basically, as the DVLA won’t issue you one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lads, can someone recommend a vehicle inspection service for Northern Ireland. Dekra said they don't cover it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

What does this mean? If you don’t get the V5 from the dealer you’re screwed basically, as the DVLA won’t issue you one?

probably not but the alternative would be to go through whatever the procedure is for registering a car for the first time. Sounds like, as a general rule, it would be best not to buy a car with no V5C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

Last car I bought from a major dealership (3 y.o. used) in 2017, dealer wouldn't give me the V5 - insisted I tax it and register it before leaving the forecourt by providing a UK address - no proof of address needed, they just simply entered the details straight into their system. I provided a Northern Irish address and new V5 was issued in my name and mailed out some weeks later at NI address.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Bought a car in the UK about 3 weeks ago from a reputable dealer. Requested the V5c from the salesman. He told me he couldn't give it to me because of "data protection". He sent half off to DVLA with our details and gave us the other half.

Got letter from DVLA last week saying that they worn be issuing V5c back to us and no cert of exportation will be issued. So in a bit of a fix at the moment.

Got back in touch with dealer. He admitted the mistake and apologised profusely. He referred the issue on to management and they have made an application to DVLA for V5c in my wife's name at the dealership address. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what to do.

Any ideas if the worst case scenario occurs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Bought a car in the UK about 3 weeks ago from a reputable dealer. Requested the V5c from the salesman. He told me he couldn't give it to me because of "data protection". He sent half off to DVLA with our details and gave us the other half.

Got letter from DVLA last week saying that they worn be issuing V5c back to us and no cert of exportation will be issued. So in a bit of a fix at the moment.

Got back in touch with dealer. He admitted the mistake and apologised profusely. He referred the issue on to management and they have made an application to DVLA for V5c in my wife's name at the dealership address. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what to do.

I would bring it back to the UK dealer and get your money back if you can't register it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Amouar wrote: »
    I would bring it back to the UK dealer and get your money back if you can't register it here.

Really hoping it won't come to that. But yes that's what I will have to do if there's no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Really hoping it won't come to that. But yes that's what I will have to do if there's no other option.

That's the only solution unfortunately.

That's why is very important to not leave the dealer without the full V5C, even if it means cancelling the sale and taking a flight back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Amouar wrote: »
    That's the only solution unfortunately.

That's why is very important to not leave the dealer without the full V5C, even if it means cancelling the sale and taking a flight back home.

agree

In fairness that has been said probably dozens of times on this thread and still it happens. Going to be even more grief from now on .

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Got a car up in Northern Ireland 2 weeks ago and the Dealer handed us the full V5C without question. Id say some of the dealers in the UK are not sure what to do with the the V5C when selling to an Irish buyer and out of caution want to send it to thr DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

BadSanta wrote: »

Have you got a source for this? I had a quick google around but couldn't find any info.

Edit: It's ok found it! Thx. https://www.revenue.ie/en/news/articles/used-vehicles-imported-from-the-united-kingdom.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

I was in a similar position early December.Dealer posted off full v5c form to dvla despite my insistence. Quoted data protection.I called up dvla in Swansea explained my story .very helpful .got my v5c form in the post following week.Did you call them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

A letter from the DVLA with all the vehicle details on it if you can't get the v5.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

I've just sent payment to buy a car in Nottingham this afternoon. I then read here about the trouble with the V5 form, I rang the dealership straight away and told them the V5 form is absolutely vital for me to register the car here. In fairness he told me he had it and would put it in the customer pack with the car on its way over with NVD. He did say that the DVLA are usually very easy to deal with and any hassle and I should call them. Hope it works out for anyone in the same situation

ballybro wrote: »
    Got a car up in Northern Ireland 2 weeks ago and the Dealer handed us the full V5C without question. Id say some of the dealers in the UK are not sure what to do with the the V5C when selling to an Irish buyer and out of caution want to send it to thr DVLA.

It tells them what to do with selling a car for export on the DVLA website to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Hi Guys,

The invoice I received from the UK seller/dealer states 'second hand margin scheme supply invoice' (first time getting one of these where the actual VAT amount is not shown) will this have any impact on my VRT calculation or will there be any VAT implication here.

Car is over 6 months old with over 6000km done.

Thanks

Shouldn't make any difference imo. They don't care what or how you paid for the car in another country. They are only interested in the invoice to make sure it's the car as described, bought from a valid source and the sales date is within the 30 day VRT rules.

Looking at a 67 reg . Month of registration is January 2018 though. 67 reg goes from sept - feb in the UK. Will this translate to a 181 reg here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Looking at a 67 reg . Month of registration is January 2018 though. 67 reg goes from sept - feb in the UK. Will this translate to a 181 reg here?

Yes it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

How long does it take for NCTS to issue a cert after they receive the MOT cert from you?

Answering my own question for anyone wondering.....

It takes about a week.

Anyone heard of a dealer refusing to release a car to non UK buyer? Nissan dealer saying their policy is only to let it be taken out by a transport company on a flatbed truck for transport to Holyhead. I’ve never heard this they’re insisting on it though . I’ve informed them I’ll have my own insurance and can tax the car while in the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Anyone heard of a dealer refusing to release a car to non UK buyer? Nissan dealer saying their policy is only to let it be taken out by a transport company on a flatbed truck for transport to Holyhead. I’ve never heard this they’re insisting on it though . I’ve informed them I’ll have my own insurance and can tax the car while in the garage.

If you aren't in the UK yet and THEY are paying the transport then I'd consider letting them at it.

MIght work out handier for you to travel to Holyhead as foot passenger* pick the car up there and drive back on the next sailing.

If the dealer wants YOU to pay the transport then I'd be telling them to do one.

Paying for transport because YOU choose to do that as some people do - is one thing - doing it because of a silly policy is another thing entirely.

*check with your Ferry company that it's possible to do that first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement