Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 YamineB

Isambard wrote: »
    there is no problem doing that , there's a procedure laid down for it, I think you have to MoT it. You'll regain the old number and you can get a refund of VRT

Hi, thanks a lot for the answer. So I can just take my car back to the UK without having to do anything since UK Dvla still think my car is in the UK and mot and road tax are still valid? I will just have to inform the irish authorities the car is away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i doubt it, you'll have to follow the procedure I imagine. Check with DVLA. You'll want to inform the Irish authorities to claim back (some of ) the VRT you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Mc Love wrote: »
    Probably not, the vrt calculator is only an estimate. And you could have gone to any vrt center

only those who do the VRT assessment.

Isambard wrote: »
    i doubt it, you'll have to follow the procedure I imagine. Check with DVLA. You'll want to inform the Irish authorities to claim back (some of ) the VRT you paid.

I tried to call Irish authorities about it to try and cancel my VRT and they made me make a claim to de register the car on the revenue website. I think once I get my Irish log book I will take the car back to England sell it there and inform the irish authorities of the fact that I registered the car in England again. And concerning the VRT refund, I can not use the VRT refund export scheme because my car is worth less than 2000euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

YamineB wrote: »
    I tried to call Irish authorities about it to try and cancel my VRT and they made me make a claim to de register the car on the revenue website. I think once I get my Irish log book I will take the car back to England sell it there and inform the irish authorities of the fact that I registered the car in England again. And concerning the VRT refund, I can not use the VRT refund export scheme because my car is worth less than 2000euros.

What type of car is it. Why don't you try and sell it here.It would be a lot less hassle if you could.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    What type of car is it. Why don't you try and sell it here.It would be a lot less hassle if you could.

It's a Seat Léon 2007. I can not sell it here because at the moment I can not sell car here because I do not have enough money to insure it here and pay motor tax since I have to gather money quickly for my emergency. Unless I can sell an uninsured and not taxed car. Which I doubt.

Just wanted to add that the car is still insured in UK and MOT is valid as well as motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi, thanks a lot for the answer. So I can just take my car back to the UK without having to do anything since UK Dvla still think my car is in the UK and mot and road tax are still valid? I will just have to inform the irish authorities the car is away?

As part of the VRT process here, the vehicle registration department will notify the DVLA that your car has been permanently exported from the UK so the DVLA will then mark the old UK reg as de-registered.

Best contact someone in the DVLA but I'd imagine you will need to go through the registration process again:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

Also if your permanently moving back to the UK with the car you might be able to get some of the VRT refunded. You would have to make another VRT inspection appointment, this time for permanent export:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/export-repayment-scheme/export-process.aspx

bazz26 wrote: »
    As part of the VRT process here, the vehicle registration department will notify the DVLA that your car has been permanently exported from the UK so the DVLA will then mark the old UK reg as de-registered.

Best contact someone in the DVLA but I'd imagine you will need to go through the registration process again:

Also if your permanently moving back to the UK with the car you might be able to get some of the VRT refunded. You would have to make another VRT inspection appointment, this time for permanent export:

HI, thanks a lot for the answer.
    I just checked on the DVLA website and my car is still registered. And when I went to do my VRT they told me I had to contact DVLA to unregister the car and that it's done through the log book part I think V5c and that I had to do it myself. But if you say they do it automatically then I should probably try to get in touch with DVLA to see if they heard anything, maybe I could intercept the process.

I don't want to move back, I just want to send my car here and sell it there.

I've never heard of anyone VRTing a car here being told to contact the DVLA themselves to notify them that the car has been exported. I have no idea when or how regularly the VRO here notify the DVLA but given the amount of cars being imported here I'd imagine they do it regularly. How fast the DVLA process it is another thing too.

I've never heard of anyone VRTing a car here being told to contact the DVLA themselves to notify them that the car has been exported. I have no idea when or how regularly the VRO here notify the DVLA but given the amount of cars being imported here I'd imagine they do it regularly. How fast the DVLA process it is another thing too.

Thank for the answer.
    Apparently I still have to send that V5c part of the log book. But I will ring DVLA and see if there is any way to cancel the process and keep the registration number there.

Do you think they would have an issue with that? Or would it have to be handled by Irish authorities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

When you export your own car you have to notify them to ensure that they don’t send penalties for tax etc. When I brought my two over they only deregistered one and not the other claiming I never sent the slip. They were of course in the same envelope.

When an Irish person buys a U.K. car, it matters not a whit to them as the fines, penalties, reminders etc go to the registered keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Elvis07

Hi all - messed up my timing on payment transfer for a car I’m buying in Scotland . I’m actually here now mand scheduled to leave tomorrow afternoon.(3:00pm). Is there anyway to get 25k currently in an Irish AIB current account to dealers UK account in that time frame ?
    (Thinking it transferring to credit card and using that to top up revolut account, then use that to transfer to dealer) I have also option to extend stay until Friday. Thanks for help.

Elvis07 wrote: »
    Hi all - messed up my timing on payment transfer for a car I’m buying in Scotland . I’m actually here now mand scheduled to leave tomorrow afternoon.(3:00pm). Is there anyway to get 25k currently in an Irish AIB current account to dealers UK account in that time frame ?
    (Thinking it transferring to credit card and using that to top up revolut account, then use that to transfer to dealer) I have also option to extend stay until Friday. Thanks for help.

A SWIFT payment to bank account of dealer. You will need to contact your branch and/or telephone banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Elvis07

Marcusm wrote: »
    A SWIFT payment to bank account of dealer. You will need to contact your branch and/or telephone banking.

Thank for the suggestion. I got sorted by family in Spain who were able to do transfer and avoid daily limits. Lesson learned though - make sure to have money already lodged in Transfermate/revolut etc well in advance of travel .

When you export your own car you have to notify them to ensure that they don’t send penalties for tax etc. When I brought my two over they only deregistered one and not the other claiming I never sent the slip. They were of course in the same envelope.

When an Irish person buys a U.K. car, it matters not a whit to them as the fines, penalties, reminders etc go to the registered keeper.

I called Revenue this morning as well as Ncts, nct told me they do give the log book back to DVLA back in Swansea within 6 months and that the procedure for my case was to ask to be de registered as well as to get in touch with DVLA.

Which I did, they told me that if the car gets de registered then I can bring the car back to England without having to do anything, and if he car does not get de registered then I had to send back the V5c form, bring the car back to England, inform DVLA and Irish authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Great thread

One quick question I'm thinking of buying a 181 VW Golf.

Buying from a large authorised VW dealer in UK, it's an approved car. I'm told it was a VW company car (rather than a hire car) - 17,000 miles on it.

I've never taken a car in from the UK before.

Would you still have it independently checked over or am I pretty safe to skip that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Can you negotiate the VRT with revenue? The VRT is nearly 25% value of the car. :o Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Can you negotiate the VRT with revenue? The VRT is nearly 25% value of the car. :o Madness.

:pac:

Ah, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Quick VRT question. Does the county of the vrt office determine what reg plate you get? Or can you select what county?
    Couldn’t get a safe for Dublin until 10 March, selected Dundalk for this Friday. Doesn’t mean a LH reg I presume? Can still get a D reg?

Quick VRT question. Does the county of the vrt office determine what reg plate you get? Or can you select what county?
    Couldn’t get a safe for Dublin until 10 March, selected Dundalk for this Friday. Doesn’t mean a LH reg I presume? Can still get a D reg?

It goes by your address not VRT center.So if you give them a bill with your Dublin address then you will get a D reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

ando wrote: »
    The two occasions I went over, I didn't give any money until the inspection was done (which took 2/3 days to organise), then a deposit was given £500 and car held for another 3/4 days. Brought around 80% of the remaining price of the car in a bank draft and the rest in cash for negotiations

Thanks. Their position softened a bit overnight. Deposit up front and I can arrange an inspection. Payment in full before end of month and before I will travel. Full refund if I change mind on viewing.
    That would be the better half sorted. Now to sort myself.

I called Revenue this morning as well as Ncts, nct told me they do give the log book back to DVLA back in Swansea within 6 months and that the procedure for my case was to ask to be de registered as well as to get in touch with DVLA.

Which I did, they told me that if the car gets de registered then I can bring the car back to England without having to do anything, and if he car does not get de registered then I had to send back the V5c form, bring the car back to England, inform DVLA and Irish authorities.

Without the V5, you have no chance of selling it. You can get a duplicate from DVLA but that is a bit dodgy considering you have completed the process for registration in Ireland. If that turned up as part of a sale, most buyers would scream and run away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Given that appointments in Dublin for vrt are backed up to 10 March already, anyone leaving it past mid March to get their car could be cutting it very fine to get registered before 1st April when god knows what the procedure or price will be then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Raisins wrote: »
    Great thread

One quick question I'm thinking of buying a 181 VW Golf.

Buying from a large authorised VW dealer in UK, it's an approved car. I'm told it was a VW company car (rather than a hire car) - 17,000 miles on it.

I've never taken a car in from the UK before.

Would you still have it independently checked over or am I pretty safe to skip that?

Thanks

i wouldn't... fro my experience if a main dealer puts it on his / her forecourt its about as good as it gets. whats the good reviews of the dealer like, all are not the same.

Without the V5, you have no chance of selling it. You can get a duplicate from DVLA but that is a bit dodgy considering you have completed the process for registration in Ireland. If that turned up as part of a sale, most buyers would scream and run away.

Hi, I am in the process of deregistrating the car from Irish meaning that the whole process would be cancelled, in which case DVLA told me they would give me another log book and the car would be fully back to being an English car. I am trying to make it as clean as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hi I've made the offer and put down a deposit. They are OK about the Insurance and V5C but have no idea how to arrange the tax for me without sending the V5 off to DVLA and wont let me have the car without it.

How can I proceed here ?

trellheim wrote: »
    Hi I've made the offer and put down a deposit. They are OK about the Insurance and V5C but have no idea how to arrange the tax for me without sending the V5 off to DVLA and wont let me have the car without it.

How can I proceed here ?

Get the garage to tax the car on your behalf. They can tax it for 6 months using your credit card. When you get the car re-registered in Ireland then request a tax refund for the unused tax from the DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Does that not add an extra owner onto the car though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Hi Folks,
    Hope you can help. I'm filling in the VRTVPD2 form and I'm not sure who to put in for:
    2. Person / business from whom the vehicle was purchased
    3. Person / business who purchased the vehicle outside the state if not the proposed registered owner (me)

Problem is I used a company in the UK (called 'flipping cars ltd') to bid on the car at auction. That car was previously owned by a lease company. The V5c form states the lease company as the 'registered keeper' but obviously section 11 is gone (exporing vehicle).

I paid Flipping cars and now have the car with an invoice payment document that says I paid flipping cars. Perhaps I'm over complicating this but the fact I paid 'flipping cars LTD' should I just put them down?

I don't think I should put down the auction company (BCA) down or the lease company that owned it.

thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,
    Hope you can help. I'm filling in the VRTVPD2 form and I'm not sure who to put in for:
    2. Person / business from whom the vehicle was purchased
    3. Person / business who purchased the vehicle outside the state if not the proposed registered owner (me)

Problem is I used a company in the UK (called 'flipping cars ltd') to bid on the car at auction. That car was previously owned by a lease company. The V5c form states the lease company as the 'registered keeper' but obviously section 11 is gone (exporing vehicle).

I paid Flipping cars and now have the car with an invoice payment document that says I paid flipping cars. Perhaps I'm over complicating this but the fact I paid 'flipping cars LTD' should I just put them down?

I don't think I should put down the auction company (BCA) down or the lease company that owned it.

thanks

Put down name and address of whatever is on the invoice.The Vrt is not bothered about what name is on the V5c.Forget about Q3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement