Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EriktheRed

Havent bought the van yet, although did all research and would be going soon to have a look and test drive it.
    Do you think if I arrive with all the van details at Nct office here in Dublin, including copy of v5c and pictures would they be able to give me an estimate of vrt figure? It's a crew cab van so would like to have exact idea of how much.
    Motorcheck and cartell vrt calculators give me completely different rates, one says 27% other flat €200 rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No they won't entertain that. They will tell you to book an appointment and present the van for inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

mgn wrote: »
    Put down name and address of whatever is on the invoice.The Vrt is not bothered about what name is on the V5c.Forget about Q3.

Thanks mgn, appreciate the help.....as silly a question as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Estimating my amount will be €4,000. The revenue site says they accept up to €250 in cash. Is this still the case? My debit card limit is €1,500 per day. Anyone paid it all in cash recently ?

bazz26 wrote: »
    No they won't entertain that. They will tell you to book an appointment and present the van for inspection.

So is there any source that I could get some sort of definite answer before purchase how much vrt would be for 2014 crew cab Toyota proace (cargo area separated with steel bulkhead)? Just to know, would it be 27 % 13.3% or just €200 ? For some reason I'm getting all these different rates for the same van? Anyone please? Has anyone got a crew cab recently from NI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

Use the Revenue VRT Calculator website - has been spot on for each of my imports. In fact on one occasion the VRT lass inputted the wrong model and wanted to overcharge me - I gave her the 'statistical code' generated by the calculator and she was happy to correct. But you need to make sure you have the correct model inputted in the first place.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/common/access-the-vrt-calculator.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Estimating my amount will be €4,000. The revenue site says they accept up to €250 in cash. Is this still the case? My debit card limit is €1,500 per day. Anyone paid it all in cash recently ?

Still the case €250 cash.You don't have to pay there and then.The will give you the VRT amount after the inspect the car.You can get a bank draft then and pay them that way

wassie wrote: »
    Use the Revenue VRT Calculator website - has been spot on for each of my imports. In fact on one occasion the VRT lass inputted the wrong model and wanted to overcharge me - I gave her the 'statistical code' generated by the calculator and she was happy to correct. But you need to make sure you have the correct model inputted in the first place.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/common/access-the-vrt-calculator.aspx

There is no model in the dropdown menu for proace van/crew cab only hilux model.
    Tried as passenger car , picked proace but it then showing mpv body type and treating is as the family car I think.
    It says 20% vrt almost 3k.
    How and where can I get a statistical code , is there a list available anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Still the case €250 cash.You don't have to pay there and then.The will give you the VRT amount after the inspect the car.You can get a bank draft then and pay them that way

Thanks. So you can leave, get your bank draft and drop back later that day with it? Or you’ve to make a new appointment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No just come back with the draft for the amount, you don't need to make another appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Is the VRT website broken for anybody else? Regardless of what car I pick, the section for Transmission is blank and you cannot proceed :/

Is the VRT website broken for anybody else? Regardless of what car I pick, the section for Transmission is blank and you cannot proceed :/

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

Seems to be working fine at the moment.

EriktheRed wrote: »
    There is no model in the dropdown menu for proace van/crew cab only hilux model.
    Tried as passenger car , picked proace but it then showing mpv body type and treating is as the family car I think.
    It says 20% vrt almost 3k.
    How and where can I get a statistical code , is there a list available anywhere?

That makes it difficult - Im not aware how to get the stat code otherwise. A close model will give you a guide but thats only just a bets guess and wont give you any certainty. Hopefully someone else on this thread can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

:pac:

Ah, no.

Thought as much.:D The amount they want is way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Same here.

Apparently this happens when they are updating the website, back to normal today!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MeheeHohee

When VRTing my UK import if I go to a NCT centre in a different county will my car reg be for that county or the county of my home a dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Great value alright in fairness

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    When VRTing my UK import if I go to a NCT centre in a different county will my car reg be for that county or the county of my home a dress?

Home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Couple of questions lads, I know they've probably been asked before.

Does Dekra do Hpi check too as part of the inspection package?

What is the best way to transfer money to the dealer? Currencyfair perhaps? I bank with KBC who don't do deal with currency however I can send euro to a sterling account. Not sure would there be hefty charges doing it that way.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

A friend of mine was at a VRT centre the weekend and he asked them what was the story with Brexit the 29th of March and he was told it was going to be the same as importing from Japan which is 20% on the Invoice price you paid for the car for a diesel and 10% on a petrol car plus pay your VRT on top of that !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Tiger72 wrote: »
    A friend of mine was at a VRT centre the weekend and he asked them what was the story with Brexit the 29th of March and he was told it was going to be the same as importing from Japan which is 20% on the Invoice price you paid for the car for a diesel and 10% on a petrol car plus pay your VRT on top of that !!!!!!

only in the event of No Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

That hasn't been confirmed yet either, revenue have not told the Vrt staff whats happening yet.

michellie wrote: »
    That hasn't been confirmed yet either, revenue have not told the Vrt staff whats happening yet.

That's true because revenue dont even know themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

That's what they were told will be the situation - so she said

That's what they were told will be the situation - so she said

maybe, but again, only in the event of No Deal. Noone knows at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi , just got off the phone to bmw reading about a car i was interested in. They said they dont sell direct to irish costumers that i need a uk address, is that the norm? I have family in the uk i can use their address, will they go down as the registered owner. Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Isambard wrote: »
    maybe, but again, only in the event of No Deal. Noone knows at this stage

Vrt staff havent been told whats going to happen, but revenue do know, they have a plan in place.

I know revenue are doing courses for brexit and a TAN holder i know went to it, he said it will be 10% cars, 22% vans, 3% tractors. All paid at the port, TAN holders can get some kind of a bank guarantee for bringing stuff in. Permission needed from DVLA to export the car. Seems like its going to be difficult for private individuals if its a no deal.

But I havent heard this directly from revenue so dont take my word.

Vrt staff havent been told whats going to happen, but revenue do know, they have a plan in place.

I know revenue are doing courses for brexit and a TAN holder i know went to it, he said it will be 10% cars, 22% vans, 3% tractors. All paid at the port, TAN holders can get some kind of a bank guarantee for bringing stuff in. Permission needed from DVLA to export the car. Seems like its going to be difficult for private individuals if its a no deal.

But I havent heard this directly from revenue so dont take my word.

again, that's only in the case of No Deal. Any sort of agreement might be come to before that, noone knows, Revenue have contingency plans no doubt, but not set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

bod71 wrote: »
    Hi , just got off the phone to bmw reading about a car i was interested in. They said they dont sell direct to irish costumers that i need a uk address, is that the norm? I have family in the uk i can use their address, will they go down as the registered owner. Bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Any one on here import a car from Flippingcars.co.uk. It's an auction buying service or direct from the trade. He has links to the car auction websites from his website. You go on, see the car you want and he willl bid on it for you. He takes a small fee, alot less than you would pay in fees if you went to the auction to buy private. Has a youtube channel and explains the in and outs of auctions and buying cars. I even see he has set up a company in Ireland too, flippingcars.ie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement