Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

masit wrote: »
    Any one on here import a car from Flippingcars.co.uk. It's an auction buying service or direct from the trade. He has links to the car auction websites from his website. You go on, see the car you want and he willl bid on it for you. He takes a small fee, alot less than you would pay in fees if you went to the auction to buy private. Has a youtube channel and explains the in and outs of auctions and buying cars. I even see he has set up a company in Ireland too, flippingcars.ie.

Have a look at post 7171.Poster bought of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

bod71 wrote: »
    Hi , just got off the phone to bmw reading about a car i was interested in. They said they dont sell direct to irish costumers that i need a uk address, is that the norm? I have family in the uk i can use their address, will they go down as the registered owner. Bump.

There is no problem for you to use your own name and put their address down. But what this means is that the dealer isnt going to give you V5C, but rather send it off to DVLA to change the registered keeper and a new V5C will be issued in your name (in my experience but I stand to be corrected).

However, if you choose to go down this route, you may need to keep the car in the UK until the V5C is issued, as you only have 30 days to register it once you bring it into the state. DVLA took 6 weeks to issue mine on my import last year. Again others may have different suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

What is the best way to transfer money to the dealer? Currencyfair?

I looked at revoluts fee of 0.5% which seems quite high.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Read back through a few pages of this thread, it's been discussed here plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nemanrio wrote: »
    What is the best way to transfer money to the dealer? Currencyfair?

I looked at revoluts fee of 0.5% which seems quite high.

Thanks

I used currencyfair. Super quick, transfers were completed in about 45 mins.

Best to transfer the money to currencyfair a few days before you travel. Not a great time to exchange money right now with sterling making great gains! I think I exchanged at 1.15 only a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

So, I bought a car yesterday and drove it back last night. Months of searching, but found the one I wanted. Yay.

Booking the VRT inspection and I don't see the Deansgrange site listed. I've emailed NCT but has anyone had an inspection carried out there? Just wondering whether I should ring rather than use the webform.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Hi DirkVoodoo,

Congrats on the purchase. I just had my VRT inspection in Deansgrange on Tuesday. I didn't see them on the site but when I phoned the number to book in Tallaght they told me that Deansgrange could also do it.

I called them on the 11th Feb and the earliest appointment available was the 25th.

Best of luck with it.

Deadwords.com

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

On the ferry home. Bought a Volvo from Bells motors in Bedford. Lovely people to deal with. Knocked £450 off car. Paid motor tax and filled the tank with fuel. Absolutely wrecked but love the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Guys there could be a tread on this but im looking for some company that would collect a car near Leeds - and what kind of money am i looking at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Guys there could be a tread on this but im looking for some company that would collect a car near Leeds - and what kind of money am i looking at ?

https://www.shiply.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

homer90 wrote: »

£500 for delivery to my door seems like decent value

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tiger72 wrote: »

Phone up the guys advertising "car transporter" on Donedeal, I paid €350 for Bradford to house so £500 is way too much

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Phone up the guys advertising "car transporter" on Donedeal, I paid €350 for Bradford to house so £500 is way too much
    Who with ? Are you in Dublin ? This is to Cork

Mine was to Athlone, may be more exp to Cork but from €350 to £500, that's some jump

Sorry, can't remember it was over a year ago and I just paid him in cash but he had all the proper insurance, entry records for VRT etc

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Question about VAT, when does a car qualify for it?

If you buy a car under 6k km and by the time it is presented to VRT it's over 6k km is it still applicable for VAT?

May have a big problem here.... Need help

So car is over a year old but only 2,700miles on it / 4,345km.

If by the time it arrives at VRT office it is over 6,000km is VAT still payable?

If it is payable is the VAT charged on the price after VRT or the price paid before VRT?

€430 to Cork is the best at the moment . I made out between travel , diesel etc it would cost me €426 Approx to go over myself . Only thing is there's nothing nicer then driving home from the UK with your new motor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Took delivery of my new (to me) car this week. Sourced through a dealer in the north who brings over cars from the mainland UK. Delivered to the door NCT, vrt done and on Irish plates. Former company car so full main dealer service history. Im trying to find a like for like comparison to see exactly the savings and am making it out to be 2-3k or even slightly more. Mrs Seafields will be doing the same next time.

For anyone bringing one in over the next few days, make sure your VRT appointment is April 1st+ to avoid paying March Motor Tax as it kicks in on the day of VRT inspection not the day it entered the country i.e. not backdated a month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hi DirkVoodoo,

Congrats on the purchase. I just had my VRT inspection in Deansgrange on Tuesday. I didn't see them on the site but when I phoned the number to book in Tallaght they told me that Deansgrange could also do it.

I called them on the 11th Feb and the earliest appointment available was the 25th.

Best of luck with it.

Deadwords.com

Seems to be a backlog at the moment? I put a deposit down two weeks ago on a UK import that was with a dealer here.
    Rang yesterday and they were still waiting for the plates to be issued, VRT etc to be completed.
    Apparently there's a flood of UK imports coming in ahead of the end of the month and Brexit?
    I'm not in a massive rush but would like to get the car at some point!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For anyone bringing one in over the next few days, make sure your VRT appointment is April 1st+ the o avoid paying March Motor Tax as it kicks in on the day of VRT inspection not the day it entered the country i.e. not backdated a month

Depending on Brexit outcome, VAT might apply if you cannot prove it was brought in before March 30.

Nothing is known about Brexit, it's all maybe, perhaps, might etc. speculation is just that speculation which is a waste of time, I'm not going to rush my next import because of Brexit

Going against my best instincts and looking at buying a car in a private sale in NI - just how much of a bad idea is this when compared with buying from a dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Going against my best instincts and looking at buying a car in a private sale in NI - just how much of a bad idea is this when compared with buying from a dealer?

Get the RAC to check. Would probably put your mind at rest somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EriktheRed

SeaFields wrote: »
    Took delivery of my new (to me) car this week. Sourced through a dealer in the north who brings over cars from the mainland UK. Delivered to the door NCT, vrt done and on Irish plates. Former company car so full main dealer service history. Im trying to find a like for like comparison to see exactly the savings and am making it out to be 2-3k or even slightly more. Mrs Seafields will be doing the same next time.
    Would you mind PM me the name of that dealer please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nothing is known about Brexit, it's all maybe, perhaps, might etc. speculation is just that speculation which is a waste of time, I'm not going to rush my next import because of Brexit

That’s fine but if (say) you were planning on buying in early April you would reduce the risk of additional cost by importing pre 30 March. I agree that “no deal” is looking less likely but if it happens, UK will be outside EU and duty and more importantly Irish VAT will be chargeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Question about VAT, when does a car qualify for it?

If you buy a car under 6k km and by the time it is presented to VRT it's over 6k km is it still applicable for VAT?

May have a big problem here.... Need help

So car is over a year old but only 2,700miles on it / 4,345km.

If by the time it arrives at VRT office it is over 6,000km is VAT still payable?

If it is payable is the VAT charged on the price after VRT or the price paid before VRT?
    If its over 6k when you present it for vrt inspection then it's OK.
    No vat..

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Get the RAC to check. Would probably put your mind at rest somewhat.

The RAC just informed me that they do not cover Belfast. Looks like the same for Dekra.

Would anybody have any recommended alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The RAC just informed me that they do not cover Belfast. Looks like the same for Dekra.

Would anybody have any recommended alternatives?

Haven't used them myself but this crowd do it https://www.clickmechanic.com/jobs/pre-purchase-inspection/northern-ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Hi Guys,

After VRT inspection, car details went for evaluation with Revenue, price came back greater than the VRT calculator (I know the calculator is just a estimate), but was surprised with how much more.

Can't really understand/calculate it (if extras etc.).

Anyone one with an experience appealing it, is it worth a shot? Equally curious what raised the price, even if appeal is refused.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement