Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

What OMSP are Revenue giving you? How does this compare to similar cars for sale in Ireland? If the OMSP is above what they are averaging at for sale here you may be able to get something back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Damo W wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

After VRT inspection, car details went for evaluation with Revenue, price came back greater than the VRT calculator (I know the calculator is just a estimate), but was surprised with how much more.

Can't really understand/calculate it (if extras etc.).

Anyone one with an experience appealing it, is it worth a shot? Equally curious what raised the price, even if appeal is refused.

Cheers

If the had to send details for evaluation your particular car must not have being on the VRT calculator in first place.Normally if you find your car on the calculator with the exact details the calculator is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

mgn wrote: »
    If the had to send details for evaluation your particular car must not have being on the VRT calculator in first place.Normally if you find your car on the calculator with the exact details the calculator is spot on.

Exact model etc was on calculator. Hence my curiosity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Did the emissions match though? Had a mix up with a car I brought in a few years back where the calculator had a few different versions of the same car but all with different emissions values some were more expensive than others. When it was pointed out to me, I checked again and they were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

How does it work if you buy a UK car in Ireland?
    EG:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-carina-td/19984907

• Advertisement

If it was the exact model the wouldn't have to sent of for an evaluation.As darragh o meara said the emissions may not have matched.

If it was the exact model the wouldn't have to sent of for an evaluation.As darragh o meara said the emissions may not have matched.

Emissions matched!

And between order form (model details) and V5C all other details matched....

Possibly something I'm missing.

Also statistical code I received after physical inspection reproduced/matched my calculation....?!?

Did the emissions match though? Had a mix up with a car I brought in a few years back where the calculator had a few different versions of the same car but all with different emissions values some were more expensive than others. When it was pointed out to me, I checked again and they were right.

First thing I checked as it would impact on motor tax, emissions matched!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ELM327 wrote: »
    EG:

By the letter of the law the seller should be selling it with the VRT paid. However that would mean two thirds of donedeal are breaking the law.

If you have to VRT it yourself then I'd be checking in case it was already presented for VRT inspection before. If so then it could mean that Revenue might now want VRT penalties paid as the original inspection date is now outside the 30 day rule. This could cause you a world of pain around proving you only bought the car recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

bazz26 wrote: »
    By the letter of the law the seller should be selling it with the VRT paid. However that would mean two thirds of donedeal are breaking the law.

If you have to VRT it yourself then I'd be checking in case it was already presented for VRT inspection before. If so then it could mean that Revenue might now want VRT penalties paid. This could cause you a world of pain around proving you only bought the car recently.
    Yes that's my concern too, don't want to be hit with many € in penalties when the VRT itself is likely to only be €720.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe a phone call to the NCT's VRT booking centre with the UK reg would confirm if it has already been with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

bazz26 wrote: »

If you have to VRT it yourself then I'd be checking in case it was already presented for VRT inspection before. If so then it could mean that Revenue might now want VRT penalties paid as the original inspection date is now outside the 30 day rule. This could cause you a world of pain around proving you only bought the car recently.

do the deal on the basis that the seller will VRT it with the price adjusted to suit.

He has four cars on DD for sale and he's looking for trade ins, so he's a dealer, despite his claim it's a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

ELM327 wrote: »
    EG:

Was talking to a guy who bought a UK car off donedeal. Paid his money, got the paper work ie, V5, ferry ticket and invoice from UK garage. But he didn't know about the 30 day rule. Turns out the car had been in Ireland 2 months. Didn't tell how much the fine was but surely was a couple of hundred. Don't know why people buy UK reg cars on donedeal and from people called, caller, me, BMW, Audi and so on. The add above. All the adds for his cars are taken in different locations, and has his name as caller, FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Thanks, will give them a shot! Good signs so far, it is much easier to organize than Dekra / RAC / AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Looking for opinions on the Revenue vrt calculator and their omsp for the car I'm looking at. Revenue estimate about 5.5k (vrt c. 1.5k), but Irish prices seem much higher. I've input details correctly. Looking at a certain German estate, 2010/2011. I'm afraid I'll bring it in and they'll stiff me. Any experience or advice appreciated. Can post example if needed. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The RAC just informed me that they do not cover Belfast. Looks like the same for Dekra.

Would anybody have any recommended alternatives?

I'd give them a call back, don't know how they don't cover the capital of NI? They did a report on a car from Sere dealership in Belfast for me, lots of dealers on the Boucher Road in Belfast so would be easy for RAC to cover

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    I'd give them a call back, don't know how they don't cover the capital of NI? They did a report on a car from Sere dealership in Belfast for me, lots of dealers on the Boucher Road in Belfast so would be easy for RAC to cover

After being on the phone to both RAC and Dekra they don't cover NI. It sounds like RAC did perhaps cover them at one point judging by the older pages of this thread.

The inspection is organised now so fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

if it's anything like the AA, RAC Ireland will be a separate company to o RAC NI or UK, try ringing the RAC in the UK/NI

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

How much of an MOT do used car dealers in the U.K. have to give?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nemanrio wrote: »

There’s no requirement to give more than a day. In GB, it was my experience that dealers would generally have a car MOt’d immediately after agreeing the sale and prior to collection.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    if it's anything like the AA, RAC Ireland will be a separate company to o RAC NI or UK, try ringing the RAC in the UK/NI

It was the UK that I was dealing with in each instance. Will report back on the success of Click Mechanic.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't preemptively book a VRT inspection now (apart form the purchase not going ahead)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

Not really - from the VRT FAQ section of the NCT website:
    If you cancel or rearrange this confirmed appointment within five working days (Monday- Friday) of the test date (not including the day you contact NCTS), fail to show up for the test or fail to bring the required documentation with you, a €23.81 (inclusive of VAT) surcharge will be applied when the vehicle is next brought for testing.

The RAC just informed me that they do not cover Belfast. Looks like the same for Dekra.

Would anybody have any recommended alternatives?

Ah balls, didn't know that.

Same goes for The AA?

Ah balls, didn't know that.

Same goes for The AA?

Correct. AA Ireland have a link to a useful list of engineers who do carry out inspections in NI.

http://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer/

Most UK dealers do the MOT themselves so no reason they wouldn't have a fresh MOT on the car if required.

Most UK dealers do the MOT themselves so no reason they wouldn't have a fresh MOT on the car if required.

Something new learned there, so the dealer selling the car can actually MOT the vehicles they're selling themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Something new learned there, so the dealer selling the car can actually MOT the vehicles they're selling themselves?
    Yes.

Always being like that.I remember there was a small garage on a road i lived on 25+ Years ago my car was due an MOT called in and asked would he do the MOT some evening.He walked around the car went back into the garage and came back 5 minutes with a new MOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Question. New means of transport is under 6000 km's (3750 Miles) and not 6000 miles? Plus, under 6 months old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

masit wrote: »
    Question. New means of transport is under 6000 km's (3750 Miles) and not 6000 miles? Plus, under 6 months old?
    NB: It is not AND, it is OR.

Under 6 months old OR less than 6000 km.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement