Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

SeanElec1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Just imported a Mercedes SLK from north, paid the mercedes VRT, now tried to tax it and it's on the database as a Mazda. Whats the best way to get this rectified? Back to VRT office, via motortax.ie, via local (limerick county council) motor tax office? Anyone have this issue previously?

Regards, Sean

Sean, pop into the VRT office they will send that to revenue to amend, it is a stat code issue. Dont tax it until its sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Has anybody used Transferwise to pay? Their borderless account comes with a debit card Im thinking of paying a few grand (refundable) deposit and then paying 10k on the debit card on the day I arrive.

As for the Brexit discussion my 2c (for what it's worth) is that the date of import is what will matter not the date of registration for VRT. You shouldnt have to pay VAT, in the event of a no deal, once you get it imported before March 29th.

If I import a car tomorrow that's 5 months 20 days old will they look for VAT if present it for VRT in 14 days time say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,346 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If I import a car tomorrow that's 5 months 20 days old will they look for VAT if present it for VRT in 14 days time say?

Why would you risk it?

Here’s the arevenue internal instruction below. You might get away with it but why risk it? Have you the ability to recover the U.K. VAT? Are you buying from a dealer as a new means of transport, ie can the dealer zero rate the invouce?

1.5.3 Purchase Invoices
    It should be noted that in calculating the length of time since first registration in another MS, the critical date is the date on which the vehicle was supplied in the other MS, i.e. the date of the purchase invoice.
    Delaying registration in the State until six months or more after entry into service does not remove the liability to VAT. It is the date of supply and not the date of declaration that determines liability to VAT and, where possible, customers should be advised accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Marcusm wrote: »
    1.5.3 Purchase Invoices
    It should be noted that in calculating the length of time since first registration in another MS, the critical date is the date on which the vehicle was supplied in the other MS, i.e. the date of the purchase invoice.
    Delaying registration in the State until six months or more after entry into service does not remove the liability to VAT. It is the date of supply and not the date of declaration that determines liability to VAT and, where possible, customers should be advised accordingly.
    What document is that that you are quoting from? Can you please provide a link to it?

It would seem to contradict the revenue website where it says -

"Value Added Tax (VAT)
    VAT may also be due on the acquisition of a new means of transport from another Member State. If you are not entitled to a VAT deduction, this VAT is normally payable with the VRT.

When it enters the State, a vehicle is a new means of transport for VAT purposes if either of the below applies:

it is less than six months after its first registration
    it has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less"

• Advertisement

What document is that that you are quoting from? Can you please provide a link to it?

"Value Added Tax (VAT)
    VAT may also be due on the acquisition of a new means of transport from another Member State. If you are not entitled to a VAT deduction, this VAT is normally payable with the VRT.

When it enters the State, a vehicle is a new means of transport for VAT purposes if either of the below applies:

Yeah so going by this the if I bring it into tomorrow at under 6 months VAT will be due. I'll see. Will look at it today and see will the dealer hold it for 2 weeks with a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

michellie wrote: »
    There's long delays with some higher end / newer /older & vehicles not on the system coming back with prices from revenue.(some taking upto 4 weeks. CVO have huge backlogs atm.

Thanks a mill.

The car is relatively new (3 years old).

The dealer actually did mention something about waiting for a stat code as well.

"Value Added Tax (VAT)

Revenue’s VRT Manual. Available on revenue.ie under “tax professionals”. Link below is to the index. There is an interesting point as to whether the supply is at the point at which the Irish buyer takes delivery overseas or at the poking of importation. Either way, it has nothing to do with the VRT appointment.

Yeah so going by this the if I bring it into tomorrow at under 6 months VAT will be due. I'll see. Will look at it today and see will the dealer hold it for 2 weeks with a deposit.

Tell the dealer that the alternative is him following the VAT411 process and reducing the price by the U.K. VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

cooperguy wrote: »
    Has anybody used Transferwise to pay? Their borderless account comes with a debit card Im thinking of paying a few grand (refundable) deposit and then paying 10k on the debit card on the day I arrive.

Transferwise is my preferred exchange method - super quick. I've used it for payment provided you adjust the limits in your account (and the merchant has chip & pin facility). Limits can be found here if your not already aware. https://transferwise.com/help/article/2915926/transferwise-debit-mastercard/what-are-the-limits-for-my-transferwise-debit-mastercard

As of for your deposit being refundable, take that with a pinch of salt. Once they have your cash, very hard to get it back without a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Hello. I am going through the VRT process and assembling the bits.

I have a couple of questions

As a private joe soap do I need to have a VRTVPD1 - seems like I just need a VRTVPD2 ?

Also how do I provide revenue approved CO2 figures for the motor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

trellheim wrote: »

As a private joe soap do I need to have a VRTVPD1 - seems like I just need a VRTVPD2 ?

You just need the VRTVPD2 and you don't have to provide co2 figures because the co2 figures will be on the V5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

cooperguy wrote: »

As for the Brexit discussion my 2c (for what it's worth) is that the date of import is what will matter not the date of registration for VRT. You shouldnt have to pay VAT, in the event of a no deal, once you get it imported before March 29th.

I've found that paying by card usually incurs an additional handling fee in most garages as they get caught themselves for fees by the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

mgn wrote: »
    You just need the VRTVPD2 and you don't have to provide co2 figures because the co2 figures will be on the V5c.

For section 3, is it my own personal details that go in?

Once it's 6 months old and over 6000km at the VRT inspection/appointment there will be no VAT due .

trellheim wrote: »

You need the VPD2.

The CO2 is stated at section V.7 on the UK V5. If its not a UK reg doc thats a whole other issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Nemanrio wrote: »
    For section 3, is it my own personal details that go in?

Leave it blank if you bought the car yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Is there a limit on the amount of cars you can import and pay vrt in when not a motor dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Is there a limit on the amount of cars you can import and pay vrt in when not a motor dealer?

i don't know if its a fixed amount but the Income Tax people will be after you if they think you're a Trader and not paying your taxes

Isambard wrote: »
    i don't know if its a fixed amount but the Income Tax people will be after you if they think you're a Trader and not paying your taxes

Not paying taxes you mean on top of the VRT lol
    No just a bit of horse trading..

How do you stop a uk private seller from selling the car in the time between you agreeing the deal and coming over? Its impossible to give a holding deposit it seems.

• Advertisement

Btw is there any stipulation with the vrt that you have to own it for a certain amount of time before selling on?

If buying private does the seller just fill out the export part of the V5C or just usual transfer of ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Btw is there any stipulation with the vrt that you have to own it for a certain amount of time before selling on?

If buying private does the seller just fill out the export part of the V5C or just usual transfer of ownership?

No limit whatsoever. I recently had to VRT a car I brought in for my sister as she hadn’t all the documents to hand before the VRT appointment, I VRTd it in my name and put through a change of ownership to her the day after. I just had to wait a few days for the tax book.

As for the question about a limit of cars one can VRT, I’ve been told from a revenue contact that you’ll flag after 3 in a calendar year.

Anyone any ideas how to pay a private seller a holding deposit until you can travel over to pay in full amd collect? Doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Anyone any ideas how to pay a private seller a holding deposit until you can travel over to pay in full amd collect? Doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

be careful....wouldn't want to lose that deposit

Isambard wrote: »
    be careful....wouldn't want to lose that deposit

Any ideas? Thinking maybe if they had an online profile or something linked to a business I could transfer into their account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Any ideas? Thinking maybe if they had an online profile or something linked to a business I could transfer into their account.

You might be able to use PayPal and contest the payment if anything went wrong. I am in the same boat and paid a holding deposit after doing my own checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Quick one lads... And ladies... Do you have to tax the car after she's VRT'd to get the tax/log book?
    .. Trying to get on to Shannon to find out is impossible..its prob here somewhere went back about 100 pages .. Apologies if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Horse1920 wrote: »
    Quick one lads... And ladies... Do you have to tax the car after she's VRT'd to get the tax/log book?
    .. Trying to get on to Shannon to find out is impossible..its prob here somewhere went back about 100 pages .. Apologies if it is

The answer to that one is sitting on the ncts site waiting for you to look for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

yes you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

ELM327 wrote: »
    yes you do

Thank you Elm.. Appreciate that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement