Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

The answer to that one is sitting on the ncts site waiting for you to look for yourself.

Great... Thanks for that.. Top answer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Horse1920 wrote: »
    Thank you Elm.. Appreciate that
    No bother horse :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Horse1920 wrote: »
    Great... Thanks for that.. Top answer

No bother horse :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I had a car inspected last week and it all checked out, heading to the north in a few days to finalise the purchase and bring the car home.

It is a private sale but I would need an invoice for VRT. Would the one I drafted up on Word suffice (attached)?

Also, I will have no ferry ticket to prove date of entry, will this be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

perfect I'd say. Back it up with other evidence such as a petrol receipt from NI with reg no on . How about a photo of the car with the days newspaper in shot. Belt and braces , shouldn't be needed but costs nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

If the seller just gives me the 'new owner details' part of the v5c will that be a problem for the vrt?
    Apparently it takes 3 weeks for that to arrive after applying to the dvla?
    I want to get the vrt done before any Brexit nonsense so am worried if they need that ownership v5c it wont arrive until after March 28th Brexit deadline.
    Can I just request he gives me the full v5c?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He should be giving you the entire v5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,346 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If the seller just gives me the 'new owner details' part of the v5c will that be a problem for the vrt?
    I want to get the vrt done before any Brexit nonsense so am worried if they need that ownership v5c it wont arrive until after March 28th Brexit deadline.

You will be screwed if that is all he provides to you. That is the process when he sells it to a U.K. resident person. Tell him to look at the instructions in the envelope with his V5c which tells him to give the whole doc to a foreign purchaser and send a letter to Swansea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you have to insist on getting at least the main part of the V5C. If it were me, I'd print out the relevant section on the DVLA site which says he should do exactly that. The DVLA will not provide a V5C to a foreign address and no longer do Certs of Export, so you will be seriously screwed if he won't give you the V5C. In this case you should walk away from the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

If all else fails, just get him to ring his local car dealers, they will tell him quick enough what the right procedure is, you should get the full A4 size sheet of paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Vrt question, will the plate I get be for the county of the office where I do the vrt reg or can I request the county of where I live?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

funnyname wrote: »
    Vrt question, will the plate I get be for the county of the office where I do the vrt reg or can I request the county of where I live?

You will get the Reg for the county you live in regardless of where you VRT the car,

mgn wrote: »
    You will get the Reg for the county you live in regardless of where you VRT the car,

Much obliged, the car is July 2015 so I'm presuming I won't need to book an nct until post vrt reg and then? Also re tax should I be doing that now or is that also post vrt?

Much obliged, the car is July 2015 so I'm presuming I won't need to book an nct until post vrt reg and then? Also re tax should I be doing that now or is that also post vrt?

If the car has a current valid MOT then you can swap that for a NCT cert here after you register it without doing the NCT. If it has a short MOT then try and get the selling garage to stick a fresh MOT on it. That way you can swap it for a fresh NCT cert that will expire when the new MOT expires.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the car has a current valid MOT then you can swap that for a NCT cert here after you register it without doing the NCT. If it has a short MOT then try and get the selling garage to stick a fresh MOT on it. That way you can swap it for a fresh 1 year NCT cert here without doing the NCT.

I bought it in the North so no current mot as they don't do it until 4 years from new so same as here, another funny anomaly (Britain does it from 3) between the North and the "Mainland" as I heard it referenced so often when I was dealing with the purchase of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The car doesn't need an NCT until it is 4 years old,so in your case no need for NCT until July.When you VRT the car you can tax the car online the next day you can't tax it before the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Was going to ask the same question about tax. So online next day.
    I've a car coming in next week.
    Closest Center, before the dreaded 29th, is Limerick so booked an appointment there.
    Do I just leave it on UK plates until I tax it and then stick the Irish plates on it? can I even put Irish plates on it straight away after VRT or will that just attract a garda as its not taxed?

When you pay the VRT they will straight away issue you with an Irish registration number. You can then get Irish plates made up (most NCT centres will offer this service if you prefer) and fit them. It takes at least another 24 hours before that new Irish registration is updated on the motor tax system so you will need to wait. To tax it online you use the last 6 or 7 digit's of the car's VIN as the PIN for the site. Once you successfully tax it then you will automatically be sent out the new Irish vehicle registration cert (logbook). You won't be issued a logbook until you first tax the car.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there still a limit on how much the VRT centre will take via debit card? I think it used to be 3500?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

I tried making an appointment for April, no dates released yet.

Is this normal practice?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nemanrio wrote: »

Is this normal practice?
    Think they only release dates a few weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

awec wrote: »
    Think they only release dates a few weeks in advance.

I thought the date would be out given that we have only 30 days to get affairs in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

awec wrote: »
    Is there still a limit on how much the VRT centre will take via debit card? I think it used to be 3500?

I paid nearly 6000 on debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

wassie wrote: »
    I paid nearly 6000 on debit card.

Likewise, ths limit is with your bank as opposed to Applus. I'd check with your bank in advance to what is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Nemanrio wrote: »

Is this normal practice?

Appointments are only scheduled 2 weeks ahead. Bookings will be opened Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

Anyone any opinions on vehicle inspectors? Was thinking of using ClickMechanic for a full inspection at £150. AA equivalent is £191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Villan11 wrote: »
    Anyone any opinions on vehicle inspectors? Was thinking of using ClickMechanic for a full inspection at £150. AA equivalent is £191

I used ClickMechanic, it seems to go out to smaller independent mechanics. Was a good service, easy to organise and the mechanic in question made great observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Flying over in the morning to collect a car, have flights booked, boat booked for way back, insurance changed over, payment made, so when i do all paper work on the car. Invoice, Car report, Complete V5 document, pay tax before i go. Am i missing anything? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

bod71 wrote: »
    Flying over in the morning to collect a car, have flights booked, boat booked for way back, insurance changed over, payment made, so when i do all paper work on the car. Invoice, Car report, Complete V5 document, pay tax before i go. Am i missing anything? Thanks.

Sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

bod71 wrote: »

I’m sure I should know this but what is the pre-paid tax element?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement