Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

funnyname wrote: »
    Much obliged, the car is July 2015 so I'm presuming I won't need to book an nct until post vrt reg and then? Also re tax should I be doing that now or is that also post vrt?

Your tax book will be triggered by your first taxing of the vehicle, You will also have to book an NCT for the month in which you register the vehicle.
    The MOT test cert from NI is exchangable for a NCT cert which is valid until expiry of the NI test cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Villan11 wrote: »
    I’m sure I should know this but what is the pre-paid tax element?

Pay tax on car before you leave the dealer, Some risk not paying it, but you can get caught out by police APNR cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Your tax book will be triggered by your first taxing of the vehicle, You will also have to book an NCT for the month in which you register the vehicle.
    The MOT test cert from NI is exchangable for a NCT cert which is valid until expiry of the NI test cert.

If its registered July 15, he wont need to book the nct until July 19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

bod71 wrote: »
    Pay tax on car before you leave the dealer, Some risk not paying it, but you can get caught out by police APNR cameras.

The one and only time I did pay UK motor tax (at the dealers insistence) was followed by the only time I was police checked whilst in queue a couple of hours before boarding the boat at Merseyside.

Me - I wont be risking it again for the sake of a months tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

yep, you're not safe in the queue (I've seen them checking for agri diesel before now.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Lads in yer experience, what has been the best method of paying the vrt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Nemanrio wrote: »

Bank draft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Card surely? I just paid €2500ish in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Debit card

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

awec wrote: »
    Is there still a limit on how much the VRT centre will take via debit card? I think it used to be 3500?

I paid over 8k VRT on a debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

If you import a fully electric car (zero emissions) is there zero VRT on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No. VRT is based as a percentage of the car's current market selling price in Ireland. The percentage at which VRT is calculated is based on the bracket that the car's Co2 figure falls into and there is currently no zero co2 bracket and I don't think there ever will be. VRT is fairly low on hybrid/electric cars due to the rebate but it's not zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Bank draft
    Card surely? I just paid €2500ish in a matter of seconds.
    declan123 wrote: »
    Debit card
    I paid over 8k VRT on a debit card.

Many thanks lads.

I thought you could only pay up to a certain amount with a debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There could by a daily limit on your debit card set by your bank for security reasons. Check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

When UK leaves EU (deal or not) VAT and agreed tariffs will be imposed on the import of all goods originating in UK. I have been using amazon de for years with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dowling06

Just bought a second hand cat D off copart in the UK and the car doesn't have a v5. Just wondering how would I got about attaining the v5 or getting it through the VRT process?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bazz26 wrote: »
    There could by a daily limit on your debit card set by your bank for security reasons. Check with them.

I change my limit with Bank of Ireland if I intend to make a large purchase- rather than leave it static at the same level- its safer than having such a large potential loss, if the card is cloned or there are security issues. For the purpose of VRT I upped the limit to 10k. BOI have no difficulty doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dowling06 wrote: »
    Just bought a second hand cat D off copart in the UK and the car doesn't have a v5. Just wondering how would I got about attaining the v5 or getting it through the VRT process?
    Can't be done now. No V5 means you cannot register it here. DVLA are no longer issuing the only alternative, a certificate of permanent export.

Not your ornery onager

I assume you'd have to get it inspected by an Engineer in the UK after repair and apply for a new V5C. In other words, can't be done, more or less.

Esel wrote: »
    Can't be done now. No V5 means you cannot register it here. DVLA are no longer issuing the only alternative, a certificate of permanent export.

Sister lives in the UK, would it be possible to get the V5 in her name and then bring it over?

• Advertisement

yes I guess but if it's been written off, won't you need an engineers report to put it back on the road? Not having a V5C makes me think it's been processed as scrapped. Get her to try it....apply for a V5C and see what happens, could be they just lost the V5

Isambard wrote: »
    yes I guess but if it's been written off, won't you need an engineers report to put it back on the road? Not having a V5C makes me think it's been processed as scrapped. Get her to try it....apply for a V5C and see what happens, could be they just lost the V5

Sorry my car is a cat N(non structural) so it doesnt need to be inspected again to be put back on the road. Looks like I will have to apply for a new V5 via the V62 form and get it sent to Swansea and hopefully that gets sent out to my sister soon :eek: Bit of an oversight on my behalf but I got a good deal on the car and the damage isn't that bad. Got it checked out over there.

Technically you would also need to declare this to your insurer. Others may have a different view, however remember they will have access to this information.

wassie wrote: »
    Technically you would also need to declare this to your insurer. Others may have a different view, however remember they will have access to this information.

Fully aware of that, think they will be aware of this too. I believe it doesn't affect insurance premiums at all however as long as the car is NCT'ed it won't make a difference.

Hope you get it sorted - Ive often played with the idea myself because there are some serious savings to be had if you have the time and means to fix problems up. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before. I have vrt apointment next week, i was given all the v5c doc except the top right, the dealer took that out for the previous owner. I have to take out section 11 and send it to dvla to claim car tax i paid before i left the dealer. Do i have to fill in anything on the v5 form , new keeper details? Will they accept public service card for PPS no. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before. I have vrt apointment next week, i was given all the v5c doc except the top right, the dealer took that out for the previous owner. I have to take out section 11 and send it to dvla to claim car tax i paid before i left the dealer. Do i have to fill in anything on the v5 form , new keeper details? Will they accept public service card for PPS no. Thanks.

You won't have to fill anything out. If you are unsure bring a letter from Revenue just in case for PPS - this can double up as proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

I got my car all sorted re VRT today, many thanks to all the contributors on here for their help and advice on purchasing in the UK and then subsequently registering the car in Ireland.

Well done. Always a relief to finally register your vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Will they accept public service card for PPS no. Thanks.

Yes they will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement