Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

It looks like the mutual recognition of road worthiness form for private vehicles has disappeared completely from existence. The CVRT form states the following: "There is a separate application form for imported second-hand private non-commercial vehicles. You can access this form on https://www.ncts.ie/ or by calling 01 4135994 (Monday–Friday from 9am to 4pm)".

However, it is nowhere to be found on either the VRT or NCTS website. Has anybody managed to actually get their hands on this form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

It looks like the mutual recognition of road worthiness form for private vehicles has disappeared completely from existence. The CVRT form states the following: "There is a separate application form for imported second-hand private non-commercial vehicles. You can access this form on https://www.ncts.ie/ or by calling 01 4135994 (Monday–Friday from 9am to 4pm)".

However, it is nowhere to be found on either the VRT or NCTS website. Has anybody managed to actually get their hands on this form?

Is this what you're referring to?

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1023/application_form_mutual_recognition.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭carbuyer01

Am i right in saying you can get a mechanic locally to inspect the car on your behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi everyone

Have a few questions
    Just purchased a car Friday in a garage in the north deposit paid. Car being delivered during the week once funds sent

What’s yer opinion on best way to pay? Have never used transfermate or them myself would ye recommend?

Also what is needed for Vrt centre documents etc to register the car and do I have make an appt straight away.

First time ever importing down so clueless to it all.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Have a few questions
    Just purchased a car Friday in a garage in the north deposit paid. Car being delivered during the week once funds sent

What’s yer opinion on best way to pay? Have never used transfermate or them myself would ye recommend?

Also what is needed for Vrt centre documents etc to register the car and do I have make an appt straight away.

First time ever importing down so clueless to it all.

Thanks

I used Transferwise. I saved over €300 by using them instead of a bank transfer. Transferwise, Transfermate, Revolut; fairly sure they all do the same thing and are definitely worth using.

Booking a VRT is much quicker than an NCT and it has to be completed within 7 days if I remember correctly. There is a long list of documents you need to bring and they were adamant on seeing all of them when I presented my car at the centre. I followed the list at this link:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/procedure-at-the-ncts-centre.aspx

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I used Transferwise. I saved over €300 by using them instead of a bank transfer. Transferwise, Transfermate, Revolut; fairly sure they all do the same thing and are definitely worth using.

Booking a VRT is much quicker than an NCT and it has to be completed within 7 days if I remember correctly. There is a long list of documents you need to bring and they were adamant on seeing all of them when I presented my car at the centre. I followed the list at this link:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/procedure-at-the-ncts-centre.aspx

Thanks is transfer wise easy to use? Do you basically enter your bank details and make a transfer over then to the account intended? Not great with technology here so afraid I would
    Feck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dowling06

I believe you only have to make the appointment within 7 days of bringing the car in and then you have 30 days to complete the inspection and pay the VRT.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-and-registration.aspx

dowling06 wrote: »
    I believe you only have to make the appointment within 7 days of bringing the car in and then you have 30 days to complete the inspection and pay the VRT.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-and-registration.aspx

perfect thanks, i havnt got the car yet so i persume once i get it il book in. does it mean 30 days for when the car enters down here, I checked there and said theres a date the 15 april i would like drag it out until the final week of the 30 days

wassie wrote: »
    Hope you get it sorted - Ive often played with the idea myself because there are some serious savings to be had if you have the time and means to fix problems up. Let us know how you get on.

Called the DVLA just to see what the story was as the fine is 5% of the OMSP if not registered within 30 days which is around 400 quid :eek: They were very helpful and said it was posted to my sis on Thursday so should have it today or tomorrow :) Sent the V62 off on the 23rd and they had it posted by the 28th so happy out with that. Said it could take up to 6 weeks on their website so was starting to get worried.

Put the car in for an interior valet there as the car was filthy, Copart were very sneaky with the angles of the two interior pics but that's the risk of buying unseen. Saying that the car drives perfectly and I got a replacement m sport bumper in the same colour for £100 so can't complain :D

perfect thanks, i havnt got the car yet so i persume once i get it il book in. does it mean 30 days for when the car enters down here, I checked there and said theres a date the 15 april i would like drag it out until the final week of the 30 days

Ya its from the date you bring it in if its coming from the UK. They will check the ferry receipt so make sure to get that and have it for the inspection. Not sure what the process if getting it from the north.

• Advertisement

dowling06 wrote: »
    Ya its from the date you bring it in if its coming from the UK. They will check the ferry receipt so make sure to get that and have it for the inspection. Not sure what the process if getting it from the north.

Great thanks, I have an invoice from the garage with the date but he said once he delivers the car he will issue me with a new invoice with the date that I received it.

Kinda dreading the VRT part is it a painful process or fairly straightforward?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Great thanks, I have an invoice from the garage with the date but he said once he delivers the car he will issue me with a new invoice with the date that I received it.

Kinda dreading the VRT part is it a painful process or fairly straightforward?

If you're importing a common car it's a very straightforward process.

awec wrote: »
    If you're importing a common car it's a very straightforward process.

Great thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Any experience dealing with Gary Hutchinson Motors in Belfast?

And can you recommend a mechanic in Belfast to give the car a look? Or is that a waste of time?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Thanks is transfer wise easy to use? Do you basically enter your bank details and make a transfer over then to the account intended? Not great with technology here so afraid I would
    Feck up.
    If you can make a transfer using online banking then this is all the technical knowledge you need.

First set up an account with Transferwise (there are a few extra steps to get verified such as uploading a scan of your passport). Then you simply tell them how much money you want to add and they give you their own bank details and tell you to transfer X amount to their account using your own online banking. This money then appears on your transferwise account as sterling and you can then transfer it to the dealer. They charge a small fee, which is miniscule compared to the amount you save using their exchange rates.

If you can make a transfer using online banking then this is all the technical knowledge you need.

First set up an account with Transferwise (there are a few extra steps to get verified such as uploading a scan of your passport). Then you simply tell them how much money you want to add and they give you their own bank details and tell you to transfer X amount to their account using your own online banking. This money then appears on your transferwise account as sterling and you can then transfer it to the dealer. They charge a small fee, which is miniscule compared to the amount you save using their exchange rates.

Thanks for that you have simplified it down which is an ease, I am a little nerveous with it being such a large amount of money but im sure il be fine with it. Thanks for your help

Your online banking might have a maximum transfer limit. AIB is 10k, not sure about others. If you've to transfer more than this you need to go to a branch, fill in the form and present ID.

Your online banking might have a maximum transfer limit. AIB is 10k, not sure about others.

If you've to transfer more than this you need to go to a branch, fill in the form and present ID.

yea its 10k a day if i go to the branch can i def transfer more over?

Thanks

yea its 10k a day if i go to the branch can i def transfer more over?

Thanks

Yea, you can transfer whatever amount you want in the branch.

Bring photo ID (passport or driving license).

Yea, you can transfer whatever amount you want in the branch.

Bring photo ID (passport or driving license).

great thanks for this - i really sound very stupid with all my questions ha ha

• Advertisement

great thanks for this - i really sound very stupid with all my questions ha ha
    Nah they are normal questions. The whole process of importing a car is straightforward, there are just quite a few steps is all.

Between finding a car, paying for it, getting insurance on UK reg, then actually getting the car here, bringing it for VRT, changing the plates, sorting tax and then changing insurance, it can be a little daunting for someone doing it the first time.

Nah they are normal questions. The whole process of importing a car is straightforward, there are just quite a few steps is all.

Between finding a car, paying for it, getting insurance on UK reg, then actually getting the car here, bringing it for VRT, changing the plates, sorting tax and then changing insurance, it can be a little daunting for someone doing it the first time.

yea true, trying to pay for it now is a little annoying atm just trying sort the money between one account to another and then on to the seller. Yes it is daunting for first time. i rang liberity yesterday so all should be good there but its all hassle at the start but so worth it in the end

Just used Transfermate, Very easy to use and they helped me along the way brillantly.

They walked me through everything online and how to set up everything.

Would def reccommend them for an easy transaction if anyone is thinking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mickthewig

Would you need to have the entire VRT process done and get an Irish reg before April 12th to avoid paying anything more than VRT? Or does the date on your ferry receipt mark when it was technically imported?

mickthewig wrote: »
    Would you need to have the entire VRT process done and get an Irish reg before April 12th to avoid paying anything more than VRT? Or does the date on your ferry receipt mark when it was technically imported?

Hi i think the receipt on your invoice from garage will be technically the date it entered down here so would be safe then i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

mickthewig wrote: »

This question has had me worried the last 3 weeks.

I put no faith in 'the system' that they will honour the date i brought my new import to the VRT Centre.

corvus4906 wrote: »
    This question has had me worried the last 3 weeks.

I put no faith in 'the system' that they will honour the date i brought my new import to the VRT Centre.

Because of Brexit are they trying to charge people extra after 12 April is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Possibly VAT and import duty, nobody knows for sure yet.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Possibly VAT and import duty, nobody knows for sure yet.

always something isnt there, god i might register mine before then incase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R11

Insurance question-a dealer in Newry is sourcing me a car and hopes to have it in next week. Do I just ring up my insurance company and give them the UK reg?Until I get Irish plates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement