Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

R11 wrote: »
    Insurance question-a dealer in Newry is sourcing me a car and hopes to have it in next week. Do I just ring up my insurance company and give them the UK reg?Until I get Irish plates.

Yes. You’ve thirty days to get Irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Evening. I will be going to look at an uk import at a dealer tomorrow. Realisticly will i be able to drive away tommorrow if i choose to buy. I say this as fhe dealer is quite far from home so would nees aomwonw to travel with me if i do decide to purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'm supposed to be paying a deposit to a dealer in Newry tomorrow. Says car should be in within 10 days, hopefully 5......but this Brexit thing has me nervous. Should I just wait until after April 12th??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

oppiuy wrote: »
    Evening. I will be going to look at an uk import at a dealer tomorrow. Realisticly will i be able to drive away tommorrow if i choose to buy. I say this as fhe dealer is quite far from home so would nees aomwonw to travel with me if i do decide to purchase

Only the dealer can tell you. Even if the funds can be transferred on the same day, the dealer may still have work to do on the car before handing it over. Some dealers leave things like servicing, cleaning etc until after sale is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

R11 wrote: »
    Insurance question-a dealer in Newry is sourcing me a car and hopes to have it in next week. Do I just ring up my insurance company and give them the UK reg?Until I get Irish plates.

yes thats what iv done just this week and my insurance liberity will only insure me for the 30 days on the uk reg until car is registered that suits me anyway cos i will have it cleared for then

• Advertisement

toby2111 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be paying a deposit to a dealer in Newry tomorrow. Says car should be in within 10 days, hopefully 5......but this Brexit thing has me nervous. Should I just wait until after April 12th??

Tbh i think you will be fine dont take my word for it tho. i have got my car this week and dont plan to clear it before 12th il clear it before 30 days

revoke12 wrote: »
    Tbh i think you will be fine dont take my word for it tho. i have got my car this week and dont plan to clear it before 12th il clear it before 30 days
    But yours is in the country so you should be OK. The one I'm looking at may not arrive until after the 12th.Surely,they can't just impose VAT and duties from April 13th onwards if theres a no deal Brexit.....Have to be a lead in period??Give businesses and consumers a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

toby2111 wrote: »
    But yours is in the country so you should be OK. The one I'm looking at may not arrive until after the 12th.Surely,they can't just impose VAT and duties from April 13th onwards if theres a no deal Brexit.....Have to be a lead in period??Give businesses and consumers a chance

Unlikely. Who knows though!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Quick question.

I've seen it mentioned here that when importing from mainland UK before Brexit your ferry ticket should be enough to prove you had it in the country before April 12 and therefore that should be ok to satisfy them (and avoid possible VAT) even if you don't get the VRT sorted until afterwards.

What about importing from the north, however. How would you prove the date it actually crossed the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A proper sales invoice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 shanev13

Should I be worried if the UK DVLA shows the car as SILVER but the pictures and advertisement (Belfast dealer) are GREY?

Also, what's the "best" website to ensure car is clean? (No crashes / finance / etc)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

bazz26 wrote: »
    A proper sales invoice.

Does that not just state that it was sold on that date? (i.e. it doesn't necessarily say it was exported then). Perhaps I'm wrong on this and it is more than sufficient.

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Does that not just state that it was sold on that date? (i.e. it doesn't necessarily say it was exported then). Perhaps I'm wrong on this and it is more than sufficient.

Well unless you are keeping it stored up in the North then normally the date on the sales invoice would be the same day you bring it into the State. The rules are 30 days from when it enters the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,346 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

revoke12 wrote: »

Your car is already in RoI so you don’tface The same potential issue.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

irishbuzz wrote: »
    When you import from NI they pretty much assume you import on the date you bought it, unless you prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Isambard wrote: »
    you have to insist on getting at least the main part of the V5C. If it were me, I'd print out the relevant section on the DVLA site which says he should do exactly that. The DVLA will not provide a V5C to a foreign address and no longer do Certs of Export, so you will be seriously screwed if he won't give you the V5C. In this case you should walk away from the deal.

Sadly got the car delivered and the haulier didn't check the document. I have the second sheet of the V5C with new keepers details on it.
    Bit looking at the VRT inspection requirements they state that they need evidence of the cars previous registration and proof of the CO2 emissions, the slip for new keeper's details contains all of this information doesn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Sadly got the car delivered and the haulier didn't check the document. I have the second sheet of the V5C with new keepers details on it.
    Bit looking at the VRT inspection requirements they state that they need evidence of the cars previous registration and proof of the CO2 emissions, the slip for new keeper's details contains all of this information doesn't it?!

You need the front page of the V5C for VRT inspection.

did you get car from a Dealer? contact them and insist they send you the V5C. Otherwise you'll need to contact the DVLA, if they've sent it off, and aask them to return it to you. Better do it quick or you'll be running into VRT penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

did you get car from a Dealer? contact them and insist they send you the V5C. Otherwise you'll need to contact the DVLA, if they've sent it off, and aask them to return it to you. Better do it quick or you'll be running into VRT penalties.
    Afaik the DVLA will not send the V5C overseas, and since recently no longer issue a certificate of permanent export, which was the only other document acceptable for the VRT process.

Having the V5C in hand is now vital.

Not your ornery onager

i believe they will send it to you . It's the best hope anyway, I'm sure people have said on here that the DVLA have sent it on (not a new one in an Irish address, the original as sent by a dealer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Worth a try at least giving VRT and DVLA a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

i believe they will send it to you . It's the best hope anyway, I'm sure people have said on here that the DVLA have sent it on (not a new one in an Irish address, the original as sent by a dealer)
    No, they used to issue a cert of permanent export, which was acceptable for VRT. They recently stopped this procedure. Pretty sure they never sent the V5C to anywhere outside the UK.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    No, they used to issue a cert of permanent export, which was acceptable for VRT. They recently stopped this procedure. Pretty sure they never sent the V5C to anywhere outside the UK.

I believe I recall a case where the DVLA sent on a V5C sent to them by a Dealer. I'm not talking about a new V5C, they retrieved the one erroneously sent to them and forwarded it. It's worth a phone call. It may even still be sat at the Dealers

The dealer should be trying to sort this mess with the DVLA as the dealer did not follow the proper procedure as outlined by the DVLA, when selling a car to a non resident for permanent export.

Anyone know what the story with VRT is? Tried booking this morning and said no slots available? whats the process next

It's been discussed here many times, because of Brexit the number of cars being imported by dealers and individuals has skyrocketed in the last few months meaning that the VRT people are flat out with appointments, etc.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's been discussed here many times, because of Brexit the number of cars being imported by dealers and individuals has skyrocketed in the last few months meaning that the VRT people are flat out with appointments, etc.

i didnt go through all the 496 pages of this thread to see that sorry..

i suspect Bazz didn't either. Bit of a guess I'd say but I'd say he's right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Got 795 refund from the VRT today. Happy enough with that!

• Advertisement

kc66 wrote: »
    Got 795 refund from the VRT today. Happy enough with that!

Why was that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement