Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Successful appeal I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

bazz26 wrote: »
    Successful appeal I imagine.

Yes appealed it. I didnt think they were far off with their valuation but chanced it anyway. Worth trying. Had paid 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I know the vrt calculator on revenue site is an estimate but is it normally close enough? Bringing in a 2016, Ford Grand CMax on Friday, says vrt is €2721.... Hope its not more than that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

toby2111 wrote: »
    I know the vrt calculator on revenue site is an estimate but is it normally close enough? Bringing in a 2016, Ford Grand CMax on Friday, says vrt is €2721.... Hope its not more than that??

If your car is on it with exact spec and emissions.It is normally spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

revoke12 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story with VRT is? Tried booking this morning and said no slots available? whats the process next

Check again tomorrow the normally update VRT slots on a Tuesday.If not give them a ring the may have cancellations available.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone know what the story with VRT is? Tried booking this morning and said no slots available? whats the process next

Either ring or select a different centre. I am based in Dublin but had to go to Arklow last month, was the only centre I could get a date that suited me.

If you ring I think they just generally give you a date and time, there isn't a lot of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

Hi, I'm planning on importing a car later this month (pending Friday's Brexit outcome).

My question is on insurance coming from the dealer in UK to drive back to Dublin. And insurance for a few days until I can get it re-registered and onto an Irish insurance policy.

Does anyone know of companies that provide this service? I don't have my own insurance policy as I've recently returned from overseas, but am a named driver on parent's policy.

Thanks - I've searched a lot of 'definitive' guides online but none have answered this question. Thanks.

It's very difficult to get an insurance company here to start a policy on a UK registered car you are importing. They will have no problem transferring an existing policy over to a UK plate until you have it re-registered but when you don't already have a policy of your own they tend to shoot you down. Try ringing insurance companies but expect to be met with resistance.

Options maybe to get the car transported over from the UK to your door (costs about €500), then pay VRT, put Irish plates on it and then insure it.
    or
    Get somebody with an existing insurance policy to travel with you, transfer their policy temporarily over to the UK car and drive it home for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

It's very difficult to get an insurance company here to start a policy on a UK registered car you are importing. They will have no problem transferring an existing policy over to a UK plate until you have it re-registered but when you don't already have a policy of your own they tend to shoot you down. Try ringing insurance companies but expect to be met with resistance.

Options maybe to get the car transported over from the UK to your door (costs about €500), then pay VRT, put Irish plates on it and then insure it.
    or
    Get somebody with an existing insurance policy to travel with you, transfer their policy temporarily over to the UK car and drive it home for you.

you do really need to do that , to emphasise. You need proof on paper that the actual car is insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭carbuyer01

Would you know of companies which facilitate the transport of cars to Ireland?
    Would you also know if there are companies who will assess and inspect the car on your behalf for you? the AA?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

There are plenty of adverts on donedeal offering transport service from UK to Ireland.

RAC, The AA and Dekra all offer inspection services in mainland UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭carbuyer01

Cheer for that Bazz26, i contacted a few on donedeal alright but heard nothing back

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

carbuyer01 wrote: »
    Cheer for that Bazz26, i contacted a few on donedeal alright but heard nothing back

Thanks for the help.

Some dealers offer delivery services, if you they will deliver car to port the ferry companies offer a shipping service where they will load car on ferry and drive off other side. They will keep car for up to 48 hours in most cases and you can collect from port. It would be a cheaper option than using a haulier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

It's very difficult to get an insurance company here to start a policy on a UK registered car you are importing.

I didn't have any insurance on my name before, but was able to get insurance for my UK car and drove it to Ireland.

They told me that I had 21 days to transfer the insurance to Irish plates or else my insurance policy will be cancelled.

I used Revolut to transfer £6k earlier today to pay for car. Was going to transfer the remaining £5k tomorrow...... Just got text and email saying I've hit my FX limit! What's the quickest, cheapest way to transfer remainder??

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

I used Revolut to transfer £6k earlier today to pay for car. Was going to transfer the remaining £5k tomorrow...... Just got text and email saying I've hit my FX limit! What's the quickest, cheapest way to transfer remainder??

I used transfermate last week to transfer 12600 on one transaction and they had it done asap.

I used transfermate last week to transfer 12600 on one transaction and they had it done asap.

How long did it take u to go through?

How long did it take u to go through?

I done the transaction that morning and the dealer had it that afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R11

Is currency fair best for transactions less than €5000?

Amouar wrote: »
    I didn't have any insurance on my name before, but was able to get insurance for my UK car and drove it to Ireland.

They told me that I had 21 days to transfer the insurance to Irish plates or else my insurance policy will be cancelled.

Hi Amouar - what company did you use to get the UK insurance? And were you living in the UK, or did you just get the insurance to pick up a car to drive back to Ireland. Thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

RayJ wrote: »
    Hi Amouar - what company did you use to get the UK insurance? And were you living in the UK, or did you just get the insurance to pick up a car to drive back to Ireland. Thanks:)

I never lived in the UK and never had car insurance before. I bought the insurance from it4women (yes they insure men :)) before taking the flight to the UK. If I ended up not buying the car, I had the possibility to cancel the insurance and a get a full refund as I was in the cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

Kennco will provide you with a comprehensive policy that also covers you for 30 days for an UK registered vehicle after which it must be registered in Ireland - Id say that simply aligns with the VRT requirement.

Id assume a lot of other insurers have similar policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Brexit delayed until October should be good news for many here

Quick question if anyone here can answer it says as follows i need to bring ""documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address. The following documents will only be accepted: Original P60, Bank/Financial Institution Statement, Credit Card Statement, Utility bill (Electricity, Gas, TV Service Provider eg SKY/UPC, Landline phone bill and Mobile Telephone (Bill pay only)). If a hard copy utility bill/bank statement cannot be provided, two online statements may now be provided, but one of these online statements must be from a Utility Provider & the other has to be an online Bank statement. Please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months""

I dont have any utility bill i can provide as my phone is prepay and dont have sky and living in a house where the landlord gets the electricity bill and we pay after, I obviously have a bank statement i can provide and can bring my p60 but will this suffice as its saying one needs to be a Utility provider? any one any information here.

Quick question if anyone here can answer it says as follows i need to bring ""documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address. The following documents will only be accepted: Original P60, Bank/Financial Institution Statement, Credit Card Statement, Utility bill (Electricity, Gas, TV Service Provider eg SKY/UPC, Landline phone bill and Mobile Telephone (Bill pay only)). If a hard copy utility bill/bank statement cannot be provided, two online statements may now be provided, but one of these online statements must be from a Utility Provider & the other has to be an online Bank statement. Please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months""

I dont have any utility bill i can provide as my phone is prepay and dont have sky and living in a house where the landlord gets the electricity bill and we pay after, I obviously have a bank statement i can provide and can bring my p60 but will this suffice as its saying one needs to be a Utility provider? any one any information here.

Hi
    It looks like this is extracted from here: https://www.ncts.ie/1155

It says: "If a hard copy utility bill/bank statement cannot be provided, two online statements may now be provided".........

My reading of this is that you will be fine with a hard copy bank statement (not e-statement). I don't think the second part of it makes any sense. And I don't know who writes this cr@p.

Hi
    It looks like this is extracted from here: https://www.ncts.ie/1155

It says: "If a hard copy utility bill/bank statement cannot be provided, two online statements may now be provided".........

My reading of this is that you will be fine with a hard copy bank statement (not e-statement). I don't think the second part of it makes any sense. And I don't know who writes this cr@p.

i Know tis aload crap :) i have try get bank so to send me out statements to my house they dont make stuff easy

i Know tis aload crap :) i have try get bank so to send me out statements to my house they dont make stuff easy

Mate, I bank with AIB and I ordered a statement online and it says it takes 5 days to mail it out.

It would be good if you could give some feedback on how you get on. I'm about 2 weeks behind you in the process and I'm sure the info would be useful to a lot of people on here. Thanks.

Mate, I bank with AIB and I ordered a statement online and it says it takes 5 days to mail it out.

It would be good if you could give some feedback on how you get on. I'm about 2 weeks behind you in the process and I'm sure the info would be useful to a lot of people on here. Thanks.

will do il let ye know how i go il order the statements today i booked in for 27 april so willl let ye no how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Has anyone brought in a car from the uk without a v5c and successfully vrt'd it? I'll have an invoice and bill of sale from the dealer. The dealer has applied for a replacement in the meantime but it certainly won't have arrived by the time I collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you'll have to wait and could incur penalties. I suppose you could book it in and turn up with no V5C They'll send you away but possibly you might avoid the penalties?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement