Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Buffman

Quick question, the car I am looking at has an approved AA check includedfrom the garage and I can see the report(all good ) Gut feeling tells me I should get the independent Dekra check done anyway,@185 Sterling. Would this be advised

It's really a personal choice. Last one I brought over I was happy enough going with the dealers AA report, HPI check and FSH and all was grand. Also, the free MOT history check can give a good indication of how it was looked after.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

http://www.lostmotcertificate.co.uk/

Anybody use these to get a replacement MOT cert.
    Will the NCT accept one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are they going to send you a MOT cert for a UK car that is not registered in your name?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Are they going to send you a MOT cert for a UK car that is not registered in your name?

The MOT is for the car not the owner.There is no name on an MOT only the Reg number and where the MOT was conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

my bet is they would only post to the registered owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Bet away, you'd lose. They email an mot summary to your chosen email address instantly on payment, usually 10 pounds. The original form of mot is now done away with so the summary will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Hi all,

Just imported yesterday and am wondering where I stand with tax. I got UK road tax before leaving and have my VRT appointment scheduled for two weeks time. Is it ok to drive between now and then?

Bet away, you'd lose. They email an mot summary to your chosen email address instantly on payment, usually 10 pounds. The original form of mot is now done away with so the summary will suffice.

Have you used them? The reason i'm asking is their web site is showing up as not secure on my computer.

SD7792 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just imported yesterday and am wondering where I stand with tax. I got UK road tax before leaving and have my VRT appointment scheduled for two weeks time. Is it ok to drive between now and then?

Drive away,no need for tax until the car is registered.

I still think you'd have to be the registered owner, the website talks only of getting a replacement having lost the original. It makes no mention of certs being done away with. Why would they offer a replacement cert service if you no longer needed a cert?

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    I still think you'd have to be the registered owner, the website talks only of getting a replacement having lost the original. It makes no mention of certs being done away with. Why would they offer a replacement cert service if you no longer needed a cert?

Think what you like, you do not have to be the registered owner. I used a similar site last week.

mgn wrote: »
    Have you used them? The reason i'm asking is their web site is showing up as not secure on my computer.

Haven't used that particular site. Used a similar one.

Think what you like, you do not have to be the registered owner. I used a similar site last week.

no need to be so sharp. You didn't get a replacement cert and you do still get certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Hi,

Do I need to bring the V5 form to the VRT inspection?

The V5 I got doesn’t have any signature on it, is that normal? I bought from a car supermarket

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

sozbox wrote: »
    Hi,

Do I need to bring the V5 form to the VRT inspection?

The V5 I got doesn’t have any signature on it, is that normal? I bought from a car supermarket

Thanks

yes you need the v5 as they keep a section of it. there doesnt need be any signature its a diff process to Ireland.

revoke12 wrote: »
    yes you need the v5 as they keep a section of it. there doesnt need be any signature its a diff process to Ireland.

Thank you! Do I need to send anything to the DVLA?

Thank you! Do I need to send anything to the DVLA?

nope nothing you keep a section and the vrt crowd keep a section nothing to be sent off etc

nope nothing you keep a section and the vrt crowd keep a section nothing to be sent off etc

Thank you that puts my mind at ease

Thank you that puts my mind at ease

no problem my first time ever doing a vrt a few weeks back so i was the same had loads of questions and was so unsure.

no problem my first time ever doing a vrt a few weeks back so i was the same had loads of questions and was so unsure.

Haha one last question so!

Do I need to fill out the declaration for registration form in advance or at the centre? And do I need to fill in the birth cert number part?

• Advertisement

Haha one last question so!

Do I need to fill out the declaration for registration form in advance or at the centre? And do I need to fill in the birth cert number part?

what form is that your talking about is it one you got online is it? or some part in the v5

what form is that your talking about is it one you got online is it? or some part in the v5

This thing - attached

This thing - attached

yes fill everything in on the forms.

yes fill everything in on the forms.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

This thing - attached

Where did you get this form? I have my appointment later today and have only filled in this form as per the checklist they sent for my appointment.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrtvpd2.pdf

Isambard wrote: »
    no need to be so sharp. You didn't get a replacement cert and you do still get certs.

I did get a cert, just not in the original format which has been done away with. They are now printed on plain white paper with no security markings, hence the new ability to print them off at home.
    And I will be as sharp as I like, especially when rebuffing false information given out based on half-arsed opinions.

mossy464 wrote: »
    Where did you get this form? I have my appointment later today and have only filled in this form as per the checklist they sent for my appointment.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrtvpd2.pdf

The checklist they send by email mentions a Registration Declaration form in the first box but it doesn’t link to this form. I had to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

The checklist they send by email mentions a Registration Declaration form in the first box but it doesn’t link to this form. I had to google it.

Ah right thanks. I found it. Better fill that in also so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

This thing - attached

That form isnt required anymore, just the VRTVPD1/2.

• Advertisement

michellie wrote: »
    That form isnt required anymore, just the VRTVPD1/2.

Thanks for that. Their check list is clear as mud

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement