Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

a little help please
    Im looking to import a LGV (ford ranger) does the OMSP quoted on the revenue website include VAT?
    I have seen similar priced rangers to the OMSP in Ireland but they are including VAT.
    I am VAT regsitered. the omsp surley should be a VAT free price or Im paying VRT on VAT.
    can anyone clarify this?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

revoke12 wrote: »
    Thanks for that you have simplified it down which is an ease, I am a little nerveous with it being such a large amount of money but im sure il be fine with it. Thanks for your help

Hi
    I’m a bit confused here with TransferWise.

In aib online, do I select international transfer as the transfer IBAN is in Germany and in euros .
    As far as I can see they apply a few percent from the aib transferring to another bank outside of Ireland
    In TransferWise do I set up 2 balance accounts ie euro and gdp as I can only seem to transfer from euro in IRELAND to euro in Germany
    Do I then move internally in TransferWise from Euro to gdp .
    Sorry for this but it would seem aib are taking a bit and then TransferWise do the same for a currency conversion .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    a little help please
    Im looking to import a LGV (ford ranger) does the OMSP quoted on the revenue website include VAT?
    I have seen similar priced rangers to the OMSP in Ireland but they are including VAT.
    I am VAT regsitered. the omsp surley should be a VAT free price or Im paying VRT on VAT.
    can anyone clarify this?
    thanks

the OMSP is the figure on which the VRT is based. Whether it's unfair or not doesn't come into it. That's the figure they use. If you think it's wrong you'd have to pay it and then appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

Can anyone recommend a competitive car transport company to get a car from the UK (Oxford) back to Ireland.

I seem to remember a few names being bandied about on the thread before now but cant seem to locate them

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yoozername

Hi all,

When registering the car here, do I need the sales invoice to show the VAT? The sales order form doesn't show any VAT, I'm wondering if the invoice will, but it does say "non VAT qualifying vehicle".

It's a main Audi dealer, if that matters, and the car is over 6 months old and has more than 6000 km.

I've asked the dealer to confirm if the VAT will be detailed, but just wondering if anyone here knows whether I actually need it to be detailed in order to register it, to avoid having a VAT liability here.

Thanks

• Advertisement

i think the price paid and the VAT are not taken into account. It's the date they are looking for.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

What’s the general feeling about taxing the car for the few hours drive back to the ferry (5 hour drive)are they strict on it if stopped, or understand if you have all the paper work saying you just purchased it and are leaving the uk. Seems crazy to tax it for a few hours drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Personally speaking I didn't. I knew the car was taxed to december so it wouldn't show up as untaxed on anpr systems. I had a good 6 hour drive back and took the chance and it worked out. I had full proof of insurance with me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Personally speaking I didn't. I knew the car was taxed to december so it wouldn't show up as untaxed on anpr systems. I had a good 6 hour drive back and took the chance and it worked out. I had full proof of insurance with me.

If it was taxed I wouldn’t mind you should be grand, depends what the penalty would be,really depends how much to tax it, or I could bring over a set of Irish plates and fit them😂

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's been discussed plenty of times in this thread but is the price of taxing the car worth the worry of being pulled over and delayed on the way to the ferry port? It's totally up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Dark sun wrote: »
    What’s the general feeling about taxing the car for the few hours drive back to the ferry (5 hour drive)are they strict on it if stopped, or understand if you have all the paper work saying you just purchased it and are leaving the uk. Seems crazy to tax it for a few hours drive.
    Some dealers won’t let leave with the car not taxed, I did this a few weeks back. You can claim the tax back when you get home, it takes about 6 weeks to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's been discussed plenty of times in this thread but is the price of taxing the car worth the worry of being pulled over and delayed on the way to the ferry port? It's totally up to you.

Should do a sticky with all the frequently asked questions. Seems like the same questions over and over again 😀

Dark sun wrote: »
    If it was taxed I wouldn’t mind you should be grand, depends what the penalty would be,really depends how much to tax it, or I could bring over a set of Irish plates and fit them😂

The Welsh cops do not fcuk around when it comes to road traffic offences so I wouldn't advise any of the above, even if you are joking. If the car I was buying was untaxed then yes I would have taxed it and claimed it back. Even though I knew the car showed up as taxed and mot'd I stayed off the motorways for the most part and took a (beautiful) route through Snowdonia and along the Welsh coast.

the car would only show up as taxed after purchase if bought privately. Dealer's will, if they let you drive it out, re-register it instantly which will nullify the tax.

They don't mess around over there, they will take any non-compliant car off you and take pleasure in doing it. It's not worth the risk for a small saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I recently brought a car back, tax was out about 6 weeks. Dealer wasn't going to stop me taking the car untaxed, but as I would be driving through Wales he very strongly advised not to take the chance - he said in England you'd likely be fine if stopped, but totally different story in Wales. He also did everything possible to tax it for me, including trying to set up and cancel a DD to pay first month's tax etc.
    I ended paying 6 months tax on credit card and will seek refund now.

The dealer I bought from couldn't have been more helpful. Didn't notify the DVLA of sale until the morning after, so I could drive to the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Has any body here bought a car in the UK by getting an inspection done, transfer the money and get a car delivered over to Ireland with out seeing your car first. With working all week and my wife working every second weekend it hard to get going over. Cost of travelling over vs inspection and delivery would work out nearly be the same.

yoozername wrote: »
    Hi all,

When registering the car here, do I need the sales invoice to show the VAT? The sales order form doesn't show any VAT, I'm wondering if the invoice will, but it does say "non VAT qualifying vehicle".

It's a main Audi dealer, if that matters, and the car is over 6 months old and has more than 6000 km.

I've asked the dealer to confirm if the VAT will be detailed, but just wondering if anyone here knows whether I actually need it to be detailed in order to register it, to avoid having a VAT liability here.

Thanks

The dealer has confirmed that there won't be VAT on the invoice, as it's a "non VAT qualifying car". I'm worried now that I'll owe VAT here when I bring it in, as the VRTVPD2 form asks for the VAT breakdown.

Could anyone who has recently brought a car in please let me know if their sales invoice showed VAT?

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

No VAT on my sterling invoice;
    liExIAR.png

d31b0y wrote: »
    No VAT on my sterling invoice;
    liExIAR.png

Thank you very much, you're a gent.

Can I ask what did you put in the VAT section of the VRTVPD2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

That's looking for a VAT number. i.e. if you are buying it for a VAT registered company. I'm a private buyer so I left it blank.

EDIT: Sorry - I see the VAT section now. Honestly, I can't remember what I filled in for that. It's like I'm seeing it for the first time. I would suspect I put 0

d31b0y wrote: »
    That's looking for a VAT number. i.e. if you are buying it for a VAT registered company. I'm a private buyer so I left it blank.

EDIT: Sorry - I see the VAT section now. Honestly, I can't remember what I filled in for that. It's like I'm seeing it for the first time. I would suspect I put 0

Thanks very much for looking. I see this same question asked a few places on Boards, but there's no answer, every time. It's a mystery... Hope I don't get hammered for VAT as well

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On one of my cars my sales invoice showed VAT at 0% so £0.

I am pretty sure I just put 0 on the VRT form. Definitely didn't pay VAT in Ireland.

awec wrote: »
    On one of my cars my sales invoice showed VAT at 0% so £0.

I am pretty sure I just put 0 on the VRT form. Definitely didn't pay VAT in Ireland.

Thanks very much for that, I hope it'll work out the same way for me. I'll answer my own question once I've brought it in, in case anyone else is wondering about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Quick one, I brought one back yesterday on the ferry - does eflow work with English Reg, I know there were some issues before

ok I just found - https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/my-journey/vehicle-not-registered-in/index.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The dealer has confirmed that there won't be VAT on the invoice, as it's a "non VAT qualifying car". I'm worried now that I'll owe VAT here when I bring it in, as the VRTVPD2 form asks for the VAT breakdown.

Could anyone who has recently brought a car in please let me know if their sales invoice showed VAT?

Thanks for your help!

Once a car is over 6 months old and 6000 kms on the clock at the time of registering there is no Vat to be paid on it.
    On the VRTVPD2 just put down purchase price and leave VAT section blank.

mgn wrote: »
    Once a car is over 6 months old and 6000 kms on the clock at the time of registering there is no Vat to be paid on it.
    On the VRTVPD2 just put down purchase price and leave VAT section blank.

Many thanks for that, I'm feeling more comfortable about it all now

Many thanks for that, I'm feeling more comfortable about it all now

No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

another VRT question.... I brought my car over late night on the ferry, the earliest VRT appointment I can get in mid June. When I get it acessed, do I pay the VRT on the day or do they come back with a number?? Also even though I have transferred my insurance onto the car for 2 weeks, am I breaking the law if I drive it..?

• Advertisement

another VRT question.... I brought my car over late night on the ferry, the earliest VRT appointment I can get in mid June. When I get it acessed, do I pay the VRT on the day or do they come back with a number?? Also even though I have transferred my insurance onto the car for 2 weeks, am I breaking the law if I drive it..?

If your car is on the system you can pay on the day and the give you your Irish Reg.You have 7 days to make an appointment to register it and 30 days to complete registering it.You can drive while waiting for the appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement