Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

michellie wrote: »
    Wish I could give answers but I can't, we won't be told until the last minute. Same with the last deadline, told nothing!

No problem,I think this deadline is going to go to the wire,anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

I am looking at buying a car in NI.

The car's reg isn't recognised by https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
    So I can't check the MOT history online.

I have done a HPI check and it comes back clear and the MOT expiry date of July 2020 matches what the seller has on the advert.

Is it unusual or any cause for concern that the MOT site doesn't list the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rfitzg

deezell wrote: »
    Transfer euros to Revolut. Change to £ in Revolut, then do a simple UK to UK transfer, account name, number and sort code. It'll be there in a flash.
    Hi all, cannot recommend Revolut enough. Amazing service! I recently sent a £1k deposit on Tesla Model S to a dealer in Leeds and. I only needed to select the currency, add the bank sort code and number (not IBAN) and pressed send on my mobile. That was at 11pm Monday night. Tuesday morning at 11am the dealer sent me a thank you note saying the money was in their bank account already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

rfitzg wrote: »
    deezell wrote: »
    Transfer euros to Revolut. Change to £ in Revolut, then do a simple UK to UK transfer, account name, number and sort code. It'll be there in a flash.
    Hi all, cannot recommend Revolut enough. Amazing service! I recently sent a £1k deposit on Tesla Model S to a dealer in Leeds and. I only needed to select the currency, add the bank sort code and number (not IBAN) and pressed send on my mobile. That was at 11pm Monday night. Tuesday morning at 11am the dealer sent me a thank you note saying the money was in their bank account already.
    I paid at the dealers by transfer at 14.30, as I walked to pub for late lunch got an email at 14.34, "transfer submitted", followed at 14.38 "transfer executed". 8 minutes. Its good for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

has anyone used one of the transport companies to bring a car over? if so, what kind of price did you pay?

obv the preferred method would be to drive it back, but were both buying new cars in next few weeks/months, don't wanna make two trips over, might make 1 trip and get second transported.

cheers.

• Advertisement

The SIMI W*****S are at it again

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-38366232.html

Listen to this sh!te; "Ireland’s taxation system overburdens new cars, causing motorists either to hang on to their older, smokier cars or look to the UK for an older import. Over the last three years we have imported 150,000 cars that do not meet the latest EU emission standards, which in effect means Ireland has become the dumping ground for older cars the UK doesn’t want,” Mr Cooke said."
    Any used car does not have to meet used car emissions standard of 2019, it has to meet the emission standard for it's year when new, reduced to take in normal wear and tear. Exceed this and you fail the NCT. If your going to penalise used Imports, then you have to apply the same rule to local used car sales. This would render trade ins worthless as they would be scrap under emissions rules that did not apply at the time they time they were sold. If a 2015 import passes the NCT, it's as good as local car (but probably better). He's admitting that his Irish used stock is "smokey" crap, as an argument to ban superior imports!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I am looking at buying a car in NI.

The car's reg isn't recognised by https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
    So I can't check the MOT history online.

I have done a HPI check and it comes back clear and the MOT expiry date of July 2020 matches what the seller has on the advert.

Is it unusual or any cause for concern that the MOT site doesn't list the car?

The MOT checker site doesn't work for NI registered cars as the NI MOT systems is a totally separate system to the rest of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

bazz26 wrote: »
    The MOT checker site doesn't work for NI registered cars as the NI MOT systems is a totally separate system to the rest of the UK.

Thank you.
    I didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Is the VAT based on 6 months old AND 6k distance or just either one?, I was looking at a delivery mileage vehicle registered in March, and thinking if I decided on it to collect in late August or September when it would be over 6 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Is the VAT based on 6 months old AND 6k distance or just either one?, I was looking at a delivery mileage vehicle registered in March, and thinking if I decided on it to collect in late August or September when it would be over 6 months old.

Yes it is and, so needs to satisfy both criteria not just one

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I recall someone here saying milage or Km-age is day of registration, not purchase milage. As you have 30 days to reg and vrt the car it would'nt be hard to run up it up to 3720 miles, 6000 km, before the day of inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

Quick one.

I'm on the VRT calculator looking at a C220d Estate May 2018 with 8k miles on it....when I look at the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue it is stating €54,820, however when I look back at Mercedes Ireland price list from 2018 the new list price as c.€45k.

Given the VRT calculation starting point is based on the OMSP it is resulting in a higher than expected VRT amount. Has anybody ever come across this issue? It is worth seeking clarification from Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you may need to pay the VRT and then appeal. You need to gather evidence from Dealers etc of the correct selling price. It seems to me from a quick glance that 54k is well over the top

Redmond101 wrote: »
    Quick one.

I'm on the VRT calculator looking at a C220d Estate May 2018 with 8k miles on it....when I look at the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue it is stating €54,820, however when I look back at Mercedes Ireland price list from 2018 the new list price as c.€45k.

Given the VRT calculation starting point is based on the OMSP it is resulting in a higher than expected VRT amount. Has anybody ever come across this issue? It is worth seeking clarification from Revenue?
    You'll need to narrow it right down to the exact one. Diesel I presume , Manual or Automatic? Did you check the CC of the engine is correct? You can run the UK reg here to get DVLA entry.
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
    Once you have the engine entry correct, should be 2143cc , select the correct spec. for this year. There's then a mishmash of model choices, some look a bit make uppy. Say select D SE 5 door, you'll get a vehicle with OMSP of €43774. Statistical code 46288148. Change this to
    Bluetec 5 door and this drops to €43195. Stat code 45588148.
    Select Blutec AMG Line and its €54363. Above examples for manual.
    The VRT will allow you to make errors, wrong engine for model year etc. You can run any used car here by make and model to see exactly what variation in emissions and engine CC were on the market.
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx. For 2018 c220 D manual, there were a big variations depending on tyres fitted, 16" to 19" produced emissions of 106, 108, 115 and 118.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

Thanks for the response - I'm satisitifed that I've included all the correct details (engine cc, auto, co2 levels etc). The thing is that the new market price that revenue is quoting does not align to the new list price.

What model spec have you entered to get that price? There's easily €10K between an entry level and well loaded car. Automatic, keyless entry, memory seats, before you know it, €50+k.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Whats the best/cheapest to pay for a car in the north? Around 12k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Get yourself a Revolut card. Put the funds in the EU account in that, then exchange it to Sterling - they give you a really good rate. Then pay for the car with the card.

This is exactly what I'll be doing this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Get yourself a Revolut card. Put the funds in the EU account in that, then exchange it to Sterling - they give you a really good rate. Then pay for the car with the card.

This is exactly what I'll be doing this weekend!

Is there not a transaction limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Quick question guys.

I am in the process of booking the VRT appointment and struggling to get a slot in Dublin. Does the NCT centre you choose have any correlation with the County the car is actually registered in? Thinking of heading to Dundalk (family there) but would prefer a D reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The county of registration is determined by proof of address, not VRT inspection centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Quick question guys.

I am in the process of booking the VRT appointment and struggling to get a slot in Dublin. Does the NCT centre you choose have any correlation with the County the car is actually registered in? Thinking of heading to Dundalk (family there) but would prefer a D reg.

nope i got a date in the tralee one as i couldn't get a date within the 30 days in blarney cork

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Whats the best/cheapest to pay for a car in the north? Around 12k

found transfermate done me a very good rate but phone around and do some research on the rates etc and see the saving yourself and decide then. found transfermate very good tho to deal with. Found them no hassle and stress free as i was nervous doing it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Is there not a transaction limit?

I don't think so, if you do a online transfer (might be a limit of you are paying by card - not sure on this tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - on 'Evidence of the date of entry of a vehicle into the State' is the reg number on a ferry ticket? How is this to be proved? If past 'importers' can please explain with a little more detail :-)
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - on 'Evidence of the date of entry of a vehicle into the State' is the reg number on a ferry ticket? How is this to be proved? If past 'importers' can please explain with a little more detail :-)
    thanks

ferry ticket is issued to your mailbox with reg on it, just print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Is Mortorchecks VRT estimate fairly accurate, It give 3,192 quid for a 2016 Tucson, Don't want to told after I buy that its 4k plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Is Mortorchecks VRT estimate fairly accurate, It give 3,192 quid for a 2016 Tucson, Don't want to told after I buy that its 4k plus.

the revenue one is the best it had my car right on the money
    3 cars came up for my model so i went by the KW on the V5c log book

if you haven't viewed the car yet you should get that info off cartell.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Don't go near motorcheck. They always give wrong stat codes of completely different models.

Ros.ie -> VRT calculator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Go my VRT calculator on the revenue website mine was bang on when i VRT my car 2 months ago wouldnt use anything else as this is what they use themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement