Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

michellie wrote: »
    Don't go near motorcheck. They always give wrong stat codes of completely different models.

Ros.ie -> VRT calculator

Had a run through with the revenue website, entered all the info and its actually very close to Motorchecks estimate, better to be save than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Is there anything to look out for if using the services of a third party to source and register a UK car? I'm considering going that route. Apart from the obvious margin taking. Has anyone used a third party sevice successfully? Perhaps I'm not using the search function correctly..

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've done it 3 times.

Two of the times the revenue calculator figure was bang on, one of the times the revenue calculator figure was actually slightly higher than the figure I was quoted on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Is there anything to look out for if using the services of a third party to source and register a UK car? I'm considering going that route. Apart from the obvious margin taking. Has anyone used a third party sevice successfully? Perhaps I'm not using the search function correctly..

are you able to bring up any figure when you log on to the revenue website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

Debub wrote: »
    Is there not a transaction limit?

I don't think so, if you do a online transfer (might be a limit of you are paying by card - not sure on this tho)
    The daily Transfer limit for revolut is £80k, I'm not sure what the debit card transaction limit is, but I've just today paid £14k in a single instant revolut MasterCard transaction. I offered transfer, but the sales guy said debit was quicker, no need for me to hang around. He wasn't concerned about debit card fees on his side. Put in my pin, instant pay, drove away. Btw, the car had a 12 month UK only warranty, I got £270 back for not taking it, I can buy one here from Mapfre or the like if I want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Someone said in an earlier post,that you pay VAT on a imported new car.
    Can you claim the VAT back from the dealer in the North or UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

revoke12 wrote: »
    are you able to bring up any figure when you log on to the revenue website?
    Yes, I was referring to the search function on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Yes, I was referring to the search function on Boards.

Apologies,

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

Batesout wrote: »
    Someone said in an earlier post,that you pay VAT on a imported new car.
    Can you claim the VAT back from the dealer in the North or UK?

You pay VAT on a car that’s 6 months old or less, the dealer shouldn’t charge vat if they know it’s being exported but if they do you have to pay the revenue and claim it back from the dealer you bought from. Bitta paperwork involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

lemmno wrote: »
    You pay VAT on a car that’s 6 months old or less, the dealer shouldn’t charge vat if they know it’s being exported but if they do you have to pay the revenue and claim it back from the dealer you bought from. Bitta paperwork involved.

Cheers for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The VAT scenario is more complicated than that. It was discussed here a couple of times recently. Sometimes there is no way to reclaim UK VAT.

Maybe one of the knowledgeable posters will reply here, or try searching 'VAT margin scheme'. I think that was the key issue.

Much, much easier to source a car which will not be treated as a new vehicle here.

Not your ornery onager

Search back a week or 2, but in summary, very few UK cars are vat qualified. Read this
    https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/articles/can_i_reclaim_vat_when_buying_a_car
    Of those that are, in theory they they would be 16.6% or one sixth of the price cheaper than a used car with vat of 20% paid, e.g £10000 instead of £12000. Problem is you have to pay Irish VAT of 23% on a VAT qualified import in nearly all cases, with specific rules for claiming back a portion of the Irish VAT if you are a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

deezell wrote: »
    Search back a week or 2, but in summary, very few UK cars are vat qualified. Read this
    https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/articles/can_i_reclaim_vat_when_buying_a_car
    Of those that are, in theory they they would be 16.6% or one sixth of the price cheaper than a used car with vat of 20% paid, e.g £10000 instead of £12000. Problem is you have to pay Irish VAT of 23% on a VAT qualified import in nearly all cases, with specific rules for claiming back a portion of the Irish VAT if you are a business.

Quick question - seller ( garage ) looking for a UK address - I explained I’m importing the car to Ireland etc they’re saying they need to post the V5 off register it to a uk address avoid speeding fines etc etc

Any idea what I should say?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tell them to look up the proper procedure from the DVLA on selling a car to a non UK resident for permanent export. They need to give you the full V5C registration document with the car so that you can register it here, they can still send off the permanent export section to the DVLA for notification.

Under no circumstances buy the car without getting the V5C registration document as you will not be able to register it here without it. It's been mentioned in this thread plenty of time recently but the DVLA are no longer issuing Permanent Certificates of Export afterwards so you will be in right trouble without the full V5C. If they don't want to follow the DVLA process then buy a car from a dealer who will.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Tell them to look up the proper procedure from the DVLA on selling a car to a non UK resident for permanent export. They need to give you the full V5C registration document with the car so that you can register it here, they can still send off the permanent export section to the DVLA for notification.

Under no circumstances buy the car without getting the V5C registration document as you will not be able to register it here without it. It's been mentioned in this thread plenty of time recently but the DVLA are no longer issuing Permanent Certificates of Export afterwards so you will be in right trouble without the full V5C. If they don't want to follow the DVLA process then buy a car from a dealer who will.

Perfect thanks

I have bought previously just couldn’t remember the exact procedures

Anyway, quoted the above and the guy said it was company policy to post the V5 etc so I said no problem I’ll buy elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

lordlame wrote: »

Anyway, quoted the above and the guy said it was company policy to post the V5 etc so I said no problem I’ll buy elsewhere

Hm. You could always give him an Addresspal address: https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

It would find it's way home after a few days.

The point is the dealer is doing it wrong.

By asking for a UK address, they are notifying the DVLA of the car ownership change. The DVLA will not issue a new V5C registration cert to the OP at a post forwarding address either. This means that the OP will not have any registration documents to register the car here and will either have to go back to the UK with the car or NI to have the car registered in the UK again or to get a new V5C registration cert.

The dealer is simply ignorant to the proper procedure for selling a car for permanent export. The OP is right, don't waste your time, move on and buy somewhere else.

lordlame wrote: »

If he looked at the back sheet of the V5C he would see there's an export section which he fills in and sends on to DVLA, he gives you the rest. You'll be waiting for a replacement if it's not handed over, and it's €3.50 a day for every day over the 30 days limit to register, plus a €27 fee to reschedule VRT appointment if you don't change date within 5 days of appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If he looked at the back sheet of the V5C he would see there's an export section which he fills in and sends on to DVLA, he gives you the rest. You'll be waiting for a replacement if it's not handed over, and it's €3.50 a day for every day over the 30 days limit to register, plus a €27 fee to reschedule VRT appointment if you don't change date within 5 days of appointment.

That export section is only to be used by the registered keeper when exporting it himself. The dealer will almost never be the registered keeper and is not exporting it so suggesting that would only heap improper procedure upon improper procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Marcusm wrote: »
    That export section is only to be used by the registered keeper when exporting it himself. The dealer will almost never be the registered keeper and is not exporting it so suggesting that would only heap improper procedure upon improper procedure.

that's true but it wouldn't make any difference if they did want to send in the export slip. The advice the DVLA give is to hand the complete V5C to the new owner.

Well that's what happened in my case, I was given the V5C with the full front page, all the important car details and the remains of the second page, which was just the Keeper slip on the bottom of the page local purchasers receive when the V5C is sent back to the DVLA, so they have something to show a cop if stopped. The other three sections above the Keeper slip, change of current owner address, sale to the trade, and export slip were removed. I'd assumed the dealer has to make some return to the DVLA when he sells a car for private export. I'm happy I have the bit the VRT want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The penalties applied after 30 days are .5% of the VRT amount per day, so it's different depending on the car. Rebook/cancellation fee is €23.81

michellie wrote: »

The penalties applied after 30 days are .5% of the VRT amount per day, so it's different depending on the car. Rebook/cancellation fee is €23.81

Again I'm only going on what was said during an attempted registration by someone I was with, they hadn't the right part of the v5c, and were told at NCT centre it would be €3.50 per day . The VRT was about €3500. I've looked up the VRT manual, here's the paragraph;

"The Revenue VRT IT systems in place on ITP will calculate any late charge automatically, and
    will do so by following the steps outlined below:
    Calculating the VRT charge in the normal way ,
    Determining, from the information entered, the number of days the vehicle has been in the State unregistered and
     Calculating an outstanding charge of 0.1% of the VRT charge for each of these
    days."

This would be €3.50 per day on a VRT bill €3500.
    0.5% would be 5 times that. You're correct on the rebook fee, lazy typo on my part.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-01.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

1 euro = 93p in revolut

I will be needing a car in the next few months and will import

How likely is 1 euro = 1 £ before brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 O hEidin

Hi all,

Just looking for some clarification here as no-one i ask knows.

I’m living in the UK and selling my car, a chap from Kildare has bought it and is coming to collect it tomorrow.

The question is, what do i do with the V5? I’m being told that i give him all of it so it will help him to VRT, however, i need to notify the DVLA that i no longer own the car.

What should i give him and or/keep myself, i don’t want to make it hard for him to VRT the car, but i don’t want a vehicle i don’t own to appear in my ownership any longer than necessary.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

O hEidin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for some clarification here as no-one i ask knows.

I’m living in the UK and selling my car, a chap from Kildare has bought it and is coming to collect it tomorrow.

The question is, what do i do with the V5? I’m being told that i give him all of it so it will help him to VRT, however, i need to notify the DVLA that i no longer own the car.

What should i give him and or/keep myself, i don’t want to make it hard for him to VRT the car, but i don’t want a vehicle i don’t own to appear in my ownership any longer than necessary.

Thanks.
    you must hand him the V5C ,you can write separately to the DVLA to tell them what has occurred.

Isambard wrote: »
    you must hand him the V5C ,you can write separately to the DVLA to tell them what has occurred.

Yes, if you look at the export slip on page 2, it states the the form V5C replaces the export certificate which is no longer issued. In my case the dealer filled in this slip to use as a notification to the DVLA of the export of the vehicle. I received the all important front page with the vehicle registration and technical details.
    487822.jpg

waffleman wrote: »
    1 euro = 93p in revolut

I will be needing a car in the next few months and will import

How likely is 1 euro = 1 £ before brexit?

If we knew that then we would all be very wealthy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

bazz26 wrote: »
    If we knew that then we would all be very wealthy. :)

That is true :)

Im gona wait until end of September anyway.

May as well try to save some €€€ before Boris screws us all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement