Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends how this game of poker between Boris and the EU plays out over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭deezell

Meantime change your € in tranches, Revolut allow €6k a month fee free if you're a standard customer. Change during the week when markets open, as they add a small commission at weekends to protect themselves when markets are closed. We'll all have cheap top spec cars by crash out Brexit, but probably won't be able to afford fuel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm hitting the bank for 10k Monday. Fcuk it. Herself is after a newer car. I have my eye on a model from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Does it matter if you send the certificate of permanent export to the DVLA or not? Seems to be a lot of different answers about that

Why do you want to send it to the DVLA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 O hEidin

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why do you want to send it to the DVLA?

Because if i don’t notify the DVLA that i no longer own the vehicle, i will continue to pay road tax as it is paid monthly on a direct debit here. And tax doesn’t pass from owner to owner.

One way or another i need to notify the DVLA that i no longer own the vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

How quick are the dvla at sending out a v5 to the new owner? My partner has a lot of relatives in the UK that she could their address. And then have it posted to Dublin.

Or would that take too long?

pablo128 wrote: »
    How quick are the dvla at sending out a v5 to the new owner? My partner has a lot of relatives in the UK that she could their address. And then have it posted to Dublin.

Or would that take too long?
    You don't need a v5c in your name, you're not a UK resident, and if you go ahead and change ownership as if you are you will need to pay monthly road tax, or one of your UK relatives will. The v5c is both a log book and an export certificate. If the car goes abroad, the v5c goes with it, and the VRT people use it to create an Irish log/vehicle licensing cert. The previous owner of car and it's v5c gives it up to an export buyer, and informs DVLA it's been exported, afaik using the little export slip on the second page of the document. That way they're done with the car and the liability for road tax. If they've also informed the DVLA of the new owner's Irish address, the DVLA will refund you the road tax you MAY have paid in order to take the car to the Ferry. Some dealers insist if the car is untaxed. Only £20 on mine, not worth arguing over. Irish person can't set up a UK standing order to DVLA anyway.
    Just get V5C papers from seller, end of. Don't buy without it.

O hEidin wrote: »
    Because if i don’t notify the DVLA that i no longer own the vehicle, i will continue to pay road tax as it is paid monthly on a direct debit here. And tax doesn’t pass from owner to owner.

One way or another i need to notify the DVLA that i no longer own the vehicle

I'm a little confused here.

I assume the poster asking the question is an Irish buyer of a used car in the UK so that is why I asked them why they think they need to send off the permanent export cert to the DVLA. Your answering the question from a UK seller's point of view not an Irish buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 O hEidin

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused here.

I assume the poster asking the question is an Irish buyer of a used car in the UK so that is why I asked them why they think they need to send off the permanent export cert to the DVLA. Your answering the question from a UK seller's point of view not an Irish buyer.

And thats what my original post was. I have vehicles in both ireland and uk, i was selling my UK reg’d car to an irish buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Irish buyer only needs the first page of the V5C with all the vehicle details, they don't need the second page with the forms on it. You can keep that and do whatever you want to do.

From the DVLA online change of ownership. (This can only be used for non export change of ownership). For export;

"Taking the vehicle abroad and registering it there
    Fill in the ‘permanent export’ section of your vehicle log book.

Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter giving the buyer’s name and address.

Give the rest of your log book to the buyer - they’ll need it to register the vehicle in the country they’re going to."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭obi604

High Level question here.

If brexit were to happen, how will this affect the car industry here, not looking for in depth analysis, just a very high level thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

obi604 wrote: »
    High Level question here.

If brexit were to happen, how will this affect the car industry here, not looking for in depth analysis, just a very high level thought

My simple opinion would be if no deal then people importing from UK would be importing from non eu and tariffs etc so won't be as easy.

Therefore would make Irish based cars more attractive. Shore up the Irish based dealers as people don't have a wider market to tap into easily.

Very anecdotal but a garage up in the 6 counties is swamped with Irish people coming up buying cars weak Sterling and October 31st approaching.

This is my opinion, and opinions are like ar####les, everyone has one.
    Used Cars from UK will still be subject to SAME VRT. And they won't attract 23% Irish VAT. Why? As long as the car was in the UK before brexit day, and had paid UK VAT under EU rules, then that car is ok to import under existing rules. What will happen is that the stock of such used cars will be those older than Brexit crash day, but this would at least ensure a graceful slide over time. Remember, you can import used from a non EU country anyway, you'll pay VRT and VAT, but you might get the country of origin VAT or tax refunded. Now in a crash Brexit UK only has WTO rules, so I'm not sure how that might conjure up additional duties etc, but an EU manufactured car would surely qualify for export from UK into an EU country with just VAT and VRT added, less residual UK VAT if its vat qualified. Again, imports of Asian manufactured cars might be different, I don't know how they are currently treated, but I'll find out. Oddly enough, my recent import was VAT qualifying by chance (PCP car registered to brand distributors), but I'm not a business, and I don't want to replace the 20% UK VAT with 23% Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭obi604

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    My simple opinion would be if no deal then people importing from UK would be importing from non eu and tariffs etc so won't be as easy.

Therefore would make Irish based cars more attractive. Shore up the Irish based dealers as people don't have a wider market to tap into easily.

Very anecdotal but a garage up in the 6 counties is swamped with Irish people coming up buying cars weak Sterling and October 31st approaching.

what would the non en countries be?? Japan mainly?

Korea. All those Hyundais.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Looking to purchase from a UK auction this week and pay from here, then collect next week. Looking for best option to pay, it'll be approx £12k. I've seen Revolut & Transfermate mentioned. I imagine I'd need Revolut premium to do this without fees?

Looking to purchase from a UK auction this week and pay from here, then collect next week. Looking for best option to pay, it'll be approx £12k. I've seen Revolut & Transfermate mentioned. I imagine I'd need Revolut premium to do this without fees?
    You'll only pay a small commission on the 2nd 6000, less than premium sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Sorry newbie question. How do I transfer from my bank (AIB) to Revout? When I try, it says Revout isn't an Irish bank. If I do an international transfer presumably AIB will charge fees?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I saw from a quick google it mentioned 0.5% on anything over £5k, I was obviously reading the UK details.

It's generally quick to top up the account (I use it monthly to budget what I spend on lunch each month, so this would be a much bigger transaction) is it quick when topping up from your bank current account with the amount you'd need for a car, approx €13k?

Sorry newbie question. How do I transfer from my bank (AIB) to Revout? When I try, it says Revout isn't an Irish bank. If I do an international transfer presumably AIB will charge fees?

If you log into the revolut app you should have an option to add money there, you need to set up your AIB card there first though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

If you log into the revolut app you should have an option to add money there, you need to set up your AIB card there first though

In the card section, the only option I have is to order or link a Revolut card. When I select Add Money - the only options I have is Apple Pay and Visa or Mastercard options?

In the card section, the only option I have is to order or link a Revolut card. When I select Add Money - the only options I have is Apple Pay and Visa or Mastercard options?
    You need an ordinary visa or mastercard debit card drawn on your account. You add and save details of this, then you can top up subject to your banks daily limits, and of course your balance. AIB visa debit a pain, €5000 daily limit, 3 transactions over three days to get the euro in before exchange. Paid by revolut in a single go.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - need to get a vehicle inspected in the UK, unfortunately Dekra doesn't cover the area, what is the next best best alternative please - any suggestions?

RAC or AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

deezell wrote: »
    RAC or AA.

Cheers - got RAC as AA also said that it cant do. RAC was the most expensive out of the three, just my luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Depantom

Hi guys,

Only discovered this thread. Bought at 2014 VW golf last year in car giant in February. Never looked back. Had a buddy over there who looked at the car, there was a few marks and they took off 300pound off the price when he said it to them. Car giant would not keep the car on hold for me unless I or my friend put down a 400 pound deposit physically and this held it for a week. Anyway all went very well.

I am now thinking of returning to upgrade by a couple of years with the pound so weak. Unfortunately my friend has since moved home.

Firstly, has anyone dealt with car giant where they have put the car on hold without a deposit or in a case where they accepted a deposit via a transfer...

I wouldn’t book a flight and ferry unless I was guaranteed the car I was looking at was available.

My alternative plan is to book flights for a weekend in September, go over for a Saturday, have a look, and make a decision and come home with a car the Sunday.

When I bought my car last year
    1pound was 1.14 euro now its 1 pound to 1.06 so I reckon I’ll save at least 500 euro on last year as the pound moves slightly up and down over the next month.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You need an ordinary visa or mastercard debit card drawn on your account. You add and save details of this, then you can top up subject to your banks daily limits, and of course your balance. AIB visa debit a pain, €5000 daily limit, 3 transactions over three days to get the euro in before exchange. Paid by revolut in a single go.

Pretty sure all banks have a limit like this.

You can go into a branch and transfer as much as you want all in one go. Just bring some ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This is my opinion, and opinions are like ar####les, everyone has one.
    Used Cars from UK will still be subject to SAME VRT. And they won't attract 23% Irish VAT. Why? As long as the car was in the UK before brexit day, and had paid UK VAT under EU rules, then that car is ok to import under existing rules. What will happen is that the stock of such used cars will be those older than Brexit crash day, but this would at least ensure a graceful slide over time. Remember, you can import used from a non EU country anyway, you'll pay VRT and VAT, but you might get the country of origin VAT or tax refunded. Now in a crash Brexit UK only has WTO rules, so I'm not sure how that might conjure up additional duties etc, but an EU manufactured car would surely qualify for export from UK into an EU country with just VAT and VRT added, less residual UK VAT if its vat qualified. Again, imports of Asian manufactured cars might be different, I don't know how they are currently treated, but I'll find out. Oddly enough, my recent import was VAT qualifying by chance (PCP car registered to brand distributors), but I'm not a business, and I don't want to replace the 20% UK VAT with 23% Irish.

There is no provision in Irish VAT law to treat a post Brexit importation in the manner you describe. Once the U.K. is outside the Union, absent at relieving provisions, VAT will become payable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement